From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

781 to 800 of 3,246 messages
01/06/2013 at 11:47

Steph, you are insane! But in a good way! Your approach is clearly working given the increase in both speed and mileage. Very impressive park run times too.

Glad to hear training going well for all, I'm still on my "do what you fancy doing" plan so three runs over the past week, well, I say runs, more like jogs. But a 12k, 7k and 17k yesterday all at a steady 7 min km pace so just a couple of short ones this week before Loughborough half next Sunday. Still loving the cycling though, shame that the leicestershire sportif is on the same day as really fancied that but there are a few others to go at later on. Also fancy ladybower but will certainly be the 20 if I do!

Shall we start a book on what Steph does next?! Given the swimming lessons and recent acquisition of the bike, it's got to be a tri, question is, which one?!

01/06/2013 at 22:25

Jen, am pretty sure a Tri next year would be odds on I think your methosd of 'do what you fancy' doing can be both relaxing and rewarding at times - I'm a slave to my schedule and garmin to keep me going but off for a nice and slow 13 miler tomorrow and just aimg to a. get round and b. keep my WHR as close to 70% as possible

oh, am sure I'll go the extra .1 miles of course

01/06/2013 at 22:35

PMSL

behave lets see how I do after this. I might be a little less keen after the 22nd of Sept.

02/06/2013 at 01:19

lol Steph but makes the 'book' more interesting am pretty sure if it goes well you'll be looking for more and if it doesn't go so well you'll be repeating it next year

02/06/2013 at 09:34

I left my garmin at home today!! I'll start trying to run reasonably hard..... I might just give up and jog as it's bloody hot. Or, just keep going hard and seeing how it goes

all your fault if it's hopeless as a result of not having a clue how quick I'm going

wish me luck!!

02/06/2013 at 11:20

Hope you had a good run Steph, I'd do the reverse if I left my garmin and go very steady cos I'd have no record of just how slow I'd gone!

02/06/2013 at 13:01

bloody hard work.. Very steep in places a hill called cardiac hill

i think I broke 82m which if it's right is great as it's 13.6km 

I hurt fell over half way around grazed my left arm and both knees.... Ouch , but I'll survive some nice person helped me up

02/06/2013 at 20:31

Ouch! Beer for your knees ( drink, not topical!)  but good to hear things going well- as for me, never mind the plantar, but also lost toenail on left foot ( opposite of right foot plantar following huger blood blister!  And lost as in removed with pliers as opposed to mislaid!) Altogether now, best foot forward! ohh, pooh!

02/06/2013 at 21:12

OUCH!!!!!

02/06/2013 at 22:19

ah, we sound like an injured bunch Never made it out for my LSR today in fact I struggled getting dressed so lets hope my shoulder is better tomorrow.

02/06/2013 at 22:27

Unlucky you two!  Hope you recover quickly.  I made it out for mine eventually late this afternoon - 15.5 miles but slow in the heat as I ran without a drink - feeling absolutely drained even after a chinese takeaway and 2 cans of coke (diet on hold until I get on top of the endurance!) - here's hoping the training gets a bit easier.  On the plus side my first 50+ (50.94!) mile week is finished as is week 1 of 18 for P&D.

On another note - if you haven't read the book "Wool" by Hugh Howey (best read *without* spoilers) - then I highly recommend it.  Read it over the weekend and couldn't put it down.

Steph I did reply earlier but for some reason it didn't post - well done on the 8.5 miler - getting close to your marathon pace for 4 hours (and your sub 2 at the next half)!

Edited: 02/06/2013 at 22:27
02/06/2013 at 22:37

Cheers Daeve 

as I'm with a friend at the half will be going the speed of slowest would love sub 2:10 but could be anything so LSR

just realised in my timed runs they have all been pb's hehe 5 out of 5

02/06/2013 at 22:49

Well done on the 50+ week daeve, am very impressed  slow for you maybe but if I had ever run that far that time would have been a PB for me! I've still not got up to 30

As always, well done Steph!

03/06/2013 at 18:44

Nice little 12km cross country bike ride after work tonight.

love my new bike

03/06/2013 at 21:26

what's the betting you have your eye on a sportif by the end of the year.....

03/06/2013 at 21:42

Some colleagues at work do one side of Scotland to the other and back or all around Wales or similar annually for charity. might have to ask if I can tag along ... nahhh I like running, cycling is just a way of staying / getting fitter without any extra strain on my iffy knee.

04/06/2013 at 15:05

So with my sub 4:30 target in mind i've been looking last night at marathon results, and it does seem that I need to do the first half at 6 minutes per km to do this around 2:06 / 2:07 seems to be the point where a lot of people who get just below 4:30 appear to go through the half way mark.  So it does seem to be a sensible target to aim for. It's also a pretty easy one to work out

I know that for 8.5m (13.6km) I can do that speed on a course that is a lot steeper then Leicester. So i'm full of optimism...

I've got no holidays planned i usually just take odd days off throughout the year, so i've treated myself and just booked the week after the LadyBower 50 Ultra off work on the 23rd - Sept onwards.  So i'll have a week to be bone idle and relax / recover from that.

04/06/2013 at 15:29

I know there is a lot of talk that mcmillan isn't that accurate... but this seems to match about what i'm hoping for. It thinks it's a doddle based on my 5k time

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/712846/gallery/mcmillan.jpg?width=350

04/06/2013 at 16:26

It's probably not too far off for you as you have and will have trained for the distance (endurance) rather than just basing it on your shorter distances.  I think McMillan is spot on as long as you are trained for the distance - mine are within seconds of my PBs at each distance predicting the next.

Remember you've still some time to train/improve - I'm sure your 5K time will come down a lot over the next 3 months.  Sub 25 I reckon for sure!

04/06/2013 at 20:35

8k in 47:56 

plus 2.5k dog walk after to cool down

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.