From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

901 to 920 of 3,374 messages
18/06/2013 at 21:55

I'll survive

19/06/2013 at 07:54

Ouch Steph! could have been worse- one of my OH's colleagues got a mountain bike on "bike to work scheme" (lovely bloke, but bit of an "all the gear, no idea" type.) Anyway, off down the canal paths at Foxton Locks, so hardly anyone else around of course. Except his girlfriend. Comfortably settled in to his clipless pedals, he was  making short work of the track. Until he hit some rocks and gravel and seems he discovered those clipless pedals are a bit of an acquired skill and didn't manage to disengage in time. Man and bike - united as one into the lock. Needless to say, he didn't relate the story, but his girlfriend did. Many times.

Trilla, not just impressed with LSR of 40k, but also recovery run the following day! I've only done one marathon and took about three days to recover sufficiently to walk up the stairs, never mind a recovery run! Not an ultra runner I'm afraid, lack of training plan motivation to blame but on  following progress of Steph, Daeve and Andi have now decided on My Asics, and will be starting as soon as cortisone injection kicks in and can start running again. I am considering the 20 mile at Ladybower to get back in to distance again. Which 50k are you entered in to? 

Happy to hear training going well for all in general 

19/06/2013 at 18:50

Jen, funny story about the bike Oh, and am sure you don't need telling to take things easy with your running whilst your getting back to full fitness!

Things any better today Steph?

woohoo, a good day in so many ways today, first ever doubler (4 & 6.2 miles) and this afternoons run was a 10k PB (in training) by a whopping 2:39! It's still 63:17 but was run at 68% of HRR so when I move up to 80% running am hoping for good things And finally, just noticed that Junes Monthly Mileage total of 81.3 miles is the furthest I've run in any Month this Year.

19/06/2013 at 19:22

Jen: eek!

you lot are awesome the miles you put in or how hard you are working at recovering from injury.

i did 8k (5m) tonight in 50:34 heat got me I tried to run it quick and set out way to fast 5:45 first km and the heat just killed me sub 30 first 5k then changed my mind and just plodded the last 3. 

then met the oh with the dog after the 8k so had a 2km cool down walk.

i've started having a priories drink (banana milkshake) after my runs not very good for the diet! But good for recovery

Edited: 19/06/2013 at 22:53
20/06/2013 at 09:00

I'm tempted to do a park run again this weekend.

The reason i'm a vain bitch I am having fun these days looking at the runbritainrankings.com site. I fancied getting in the top 5,000 over 40 year old's (they update their rankings each Thurday it seems) and i'm 5095.  I reckon I don't have to break any speed barriers, just another hard slog below 28m should do it! I know it's terribly vain, but hey it's a target I set myself once I found out about the rankings and short runs are way easier to up your rating.  So the challenge has been to get in the top 5,000 over 40s.  Then the challenge is to do a longer run that can knock one of my parkruns out of my top 5 results

Edited: 20/06/2013 at 09:01
20/06/2013 at 18:01

Andi - olive skin, yes, in the sense that in the winter my skin colour is GREEN

Jen, what a funny story, did he fall into the canal? That could have been so dangerous!

30 miler is fairland vally challenge in Stevenage.But I cannot find myself... maybe I am so carp that I am out of the scale!

A rest day for me today because I have uploaded the data from my new toy Garmin 10 and calculated the total distance I have run for the week from Thursday  June 13 until Wednesday June 19 (Garmin website  calculates in miles, whereas my forerunner is set to kms so the distances look a bit strange)

Thursday 3.11+
Friday 8.71+
Sunday 26.24+
Monday 3.91+
Wednesday 9.95=

51.92 miles!

That sort of mileage is unsustainable for me at the moment. I need an easier week to rest to recuperate and, ultimately, improve!

This week I am going to take it a lot easier.

Plan: I'll run 7-8 miles tomorrow morning, then a shorter long run on Sunday (probably as short as 14 miles) and shorter sessions during the week as well (5 miles on Monday and 6-7 miles on Wednesday) , to total a max of 35 miles, I do not want my precious old body to break!

But it's great (FINGERS CROSSED) that I can begin to dip my toe into that sort of mileage and run 5 days a week and feel, admittedly, a little battered but without niggles: I went for a walk along the river this morning early and feel really really well.

xxx to all xxx

20/06/2013 at 19:34

That's seriously hard work I'm so impressed. I'm just getting to a consistent 25m plus sort of distance weeky. Done just over 25 for each of the last three weeks.

another 5 miles for me tonight in the pouring rain, it was very refreshing. 

Trilla - on the garmin webire in your account I think you can change the defaults to km. have a hunt through your account settings.

20/06/2013 at 19:53

Sorry Steph my stupid computer ate a sentence!

I had written:

Getting to the first 5,000 for age would be awesone Steph, it gives you an idea of how much you have achieved, and the is compared to runners, if you compare yourself to the person in the street that does not even run for a bus you are Madeleine Farah!

I loved the runbritainrankings.com. But I cannot find myself... maybe I am so carp that I am out of the scale!

20/06/2013 at 20:06

Trilla: look up the MK Marathon, then look up your time... From there you can see what name they've given you

21/06/2013 at 00:27
booktrunk wrote (see)

I'm tempted to do a park run again this weekend.

The reason i'm a vain bitch  

Steph, don't put yourself down! That's a great target to go for and (knowing you) the top 5,000 will just not be good enough and can see your ranking tumble And well done on getting your weekly averages up, they will pay dividends and we all know the dividends are runbritainrankings placings

Oh, and since you seem to be a Garmin connect guru, any idea why it's not showing Temperature with my 910XT?

Trilla, LMAO at Green 51.92 Miles!!!!! no wonder you need an easy week and they do say you should build for 3 weeks then have an easier one so I read.

After Yesterdays (first ever doubler) I was a bit tired so didn't go out today, I do have an 8 mile MP run and 16 mile LSR at the weekend but might do them Fri/Sat now and that would just creep up to my first ever 40 mile week.

21/06/2013 at 09:53

HEHE you lot are insane.  You all make my efforts pale into the background. I'm so impressed.  You are all inspiring me.

On the diet front finally my tummy which is the last area to accept that i'm now reasonably skinny compared to what I was is slowly changing shape I should be at a gym helping it along.... but I just cannot face a gym as well as running.  I have got 1kg weights and i do bicep curls 3 times a week and do some other core exercises nothing formal just what feels right on the day when i feel like it.  Very short / sharp sessions, and I think that is all helping.

Andi: Your 910 not showing the wind etc.. i presume the watch is on the latest firmware, could it just be that Garmin haven't got accurate live info from where you live? I'm assuming that they just match the GPS Location to a local weather service and that is what appears on the webpage, so if you are in the wilds where you are I wonder if they just don't have an accurate / close enough point to put on your runs?

21/06/2013 at 14:49

Lol Steph, but! your the insane one you won't catch me doing an Ultra!

Well done on the weightloss front and yes, the Tum is always the last place to trim down and core excercises should help you there. Even 1kg weights should help tone you up.

As for the garmin, thanks, I need to check but am sure the 305 used to get data (maybe I should RTFM lol).

21/06/2013 at 14:53

I guess look at your old stats from the 305

21/06/2013 at 18:17

Ah, my bad, the data I had from the 305 with weather stats was when I was in France so looks like your correct and it's too remote here for weather stats

8 Miles today @ Target MP (11:16). I'm trying to run with just the curent HRR% on my watch so grabbing the splits every 1/2 mile makes it hard to keep track and ended up averaging 10:52mm but my HRR was 72% rather than planned 70%.

21/06/2013 at 20:34

Love your motivation for Parkrun Steph! I was hoping to start again this weekend but foot not quite right yet so have been referred to a podiatrist. On the plus side, appointment through very quick- 2nd July- so hopefully will know a little more after that. Can still cycle though so have decided that's going to be my focus the next 2 or 3 months. As for the tummy, as I've not been running so much  I got a sit up bench about a month ago ( cheapie from Argos) and although a bit cynical, would say that it is helping so may be worth considering adding that to your gym work? Let us know how you get on tomorrow!

Fantastic distances Trilla! Sounds like you're well prepared for your 30 miler! And yes, he ( and bike) both went into the canal. Probably was a bit dangerous but I'm sure it was his pride that took the biggest battering! 

Congrats on doubler Andi, and plans for the weekend- here's to a 40 mile week! And I'm just going to watch this space re: what you said about not catching you doing an ultra.... that Steph, she's a bit of a suggestive bugger! And now Trilla's entered the mix...... 

21/06/2013 at 20:48

Lol Jen, and yes, just as well I'm a rubbish swimmer else she'd be signing me up for a triathlon Though if I'm honest the thought of an Ultra does sound appealing - am 54 in a couple of weeks so the preverbial Clock is ticking for me

Hopefully the foot recovers quickly Jen but think how your cycling will improve over the Summer! As for the sit up bench all the crunches in the world won't lose the fat round the tum though will make for a nice set of abs when the fat finally goes I must get back to doing my Planks as felt they helped my running (got up to 2 minutes holding it last time). Oh, and push-ups are also good for your core - Steph, I can point you in the direction of the 100 pushup challenge if you like (I failed last time and might try it again soon).

21/06/2013 at 21:06

Ha! See! She's hooked you in already! 54 and training for Loch Ness sounds like a decent enough aspiration to me but I have no doubt this forum will be discussing ultra training plans 12 months hence! 

100 push up challenge?! Did you accidentally type another O! Sit ups - I'm up to 50 (5 sets of 10) but doubt my weedy arms will get me anywhere near that ( and that would be the girly version from the knees...)

21/06/2013 at 21:17

Yup, 'she' is either a bad influence or a very good one

And yup, no typo there, finally got up to 62 straight pushups but that was my limit though did get to about 250 in a session. Nothing wrong with going from the knees btw and plenty of guys use the 'girly' version.

21/06/2013 at 21:23

See you lot are insane!!

I settled for a 6km dog walk after work

21/06/2013 at 21:39

yeah, but you were thinking about your ultra plan, you were - weren't you!

62 straight plush ups has made me gone a bit faint (wanders off to fridge to top up wine...)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.