From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

141 to 160 of 2,563 messages
09/09/2012 at 23:27

Oh wow. 28k. That's huge. Well done!! *wanders out of the thread all awed*

12/09/2012 at 20:29
So wet and windy tonight, went out for 12k and I tried something different, I still had my garmin 610 on, but I started it and never looked at it, counted off the beeps so I know I did 12k then just stopped it and walked home, went quite hard but not silly quick, anyway got home was thinking if it's over 100 minutes I'm really completely shit and don't have a chance of getting around in 6 hours yet.

So looked at it when I was sitting down 89m 55s for 12k about 4.5m quicker than my previous fastest 12k. I was over the moon, I've ran 61.4km in the last 7 days which is the most I've done in a week, and the speed is still bloody slow, but getting more consistent. I feel so excited at the moment.

Steph
16/09/2012 at 15:03
Well this week was a quieter week, and I really think my speed is improving which is good

I was doing 16k today but fell over a tree root at 14.2k and went flying, decided to be sensible and just stopped there, just in case I did some damage and ignored if With the adrenalin flowing, but was 1h 44m do was easily going to get below 2h for 16km. Which leaves 4 hours for the next 26.2km which is only about 6.6km per hour so I should be able to do that.

I'm getting carried away thinking 5h10m .... As mara is flatter and also not full of tree roots etc.... But still would be over the moon with 5h 59m 59s

4 weeks to go. My longest run next Sunday 32km so will just have to see how that goes.

Steph
16/09/2012 at 21:14

Steph

I am absolutely in awe of you.  You are such an inspiration. Good luck for 14th October, I'll be rooting for you.

Tam

16/09/2012 at 21:32
Thanks Dippy

It's weird I cannot believe how much it has taken over my life at some point in each day I'm thinking about it.

The worst thing is worry about an injury. I believe once I've done one marathon then I could cope with an injury and putting something off, but for the first one I have to get to that start line. People at work barely recognised me I've changed so much in the last six months, but I don't care I just want to run my mara

17/09/2012 at 21:13

Have you always been so driven? I can understand wanting to lose a little weight and set yourself a challenge but from nothing to a marathon in 22 weeks is practically Ranulph Fiennes territory!

I've just restarted running after a long gap and am following a 10k plan using a treadmill - would prefer to run outside but need someone with me to chivvy me along and take my mind off wanting to stop. Now when I feel like giving up I think of what you've achieved. (still haven't ventured outside thou' in case it's even harder than I think it'll be ). Well done you!

17/09/2012 at 22:20
I'm blushing.

I can be a little stubborn at times this might sound daft, but I became ashamed of myself. I felt that I had got lazy and let myself go, so I'm being pretty harsh with myself a boot camp to get my self pride back

But it has been worth it. I just feel so good (excluding the aches n pains, but they will disappear soon enough), the benefits will stay for a lot longer

Spent money as a treat this week buying myself some jewellery, I realised I own 0 jewellery, so I'm having treats as well
17/09/2012 at 22:24
Good luck with your 10k plan!

When you complete it you will have to do a 10k you will need a bit of outside practise then
18/09/2012 at 19:25

I know. Hubby is a runner but he can't run as slow as me (it's quite a skill) so I keep plodding on the treadmill.I 've decided that even indoor running is better than no running at all so will probably continue on tready for a bit and maybe do the odd Sunday run outside in daylight.

I fancy doing the GEAR 10k in Kings Lynn but it's not till May so I should probably find something a bit sooner. TBH I just want to enjoy running and am looking forward to a (distant) time when I'm actually enjoying it rather than wondering how soon I can stop!

20/09/2012 at 20:31
Awesome run tonight 8km but I shattered my speed for that sort of distance 53:05 for 8.01km utterly speechless.

Also that was my last "fast run" before my marathon everything now on my asics plan Is around marathon pace or slower

Scary!
21/09/2012 at 14:28

Hi Boottrunk,

Glad its all coming together for you.

21/09/2012 at 14:43

By the way....

The reason I have been silly and done it like this all in one big hit is that unlike some people i'm not very good at motivating myself without a target, so unlike dippy and others I would find it next to impossible to just go out and run, without a specific target in mind, i'd just end up snuggled up on the sofa.  But when I have a target, then that's the motivation I need to keep me going.

So those of you that are just out running for the sake of it, don't go wow, i'm no different if anything I think you are better runners because you are running for the pure love of it.  I seem to have to have this goal to keep me going.  Hence the fact that i've already signed up to do the LakeLand 50 next Juy the 27/28th in 1 day.  That is the motivation I need to keep me going after this. 

I'm going to sign up for another Marathon around the end of April/May as that will be a nice warm up for my long run and will ensure that i'm keeping fit in the meantime.  I'm thinking of signing up for a 10k around Feb/March to ensure i keep going through winter, and I also want to do parkruns, but my first official run is going to be my first marathon, and i'm scared to do anything else apart from my training up to then in case i pull a muscle or anything. I'm really paranoid, hehe and it's still ages away.

Steph

21/09/2012 at 16:21

It sounds like you know yourself, and what motivates you, so good on you for finding the right button and hitting it. Whatever works. Best of luck on 14th Oct, although luck isn't necessary when you have hard work and perseverance

23/09/2012 at 13:35
20 miler done!!

HURRAH. Bloody hell that was hard work, but saying that I finished about an hour ago. I've had a bath OH is cooking an egg and bacon roll. I'm curled up on the sofa and stiff, but only slightly stiff I've got a nice ache. I feel good SOOO excited now my only problem is my pulled muscle in my side, fine when running but as soon as I stopped I almost wanted to cry it hurt so much, but it's settled down now.

HAPPY I DID IT!!

32km/20m in 4H 12M 52S 7m 54s per km average, so that leaves 10k in 107 minutes. So over 10 minutes a km for the last 10 and I'd do it.

I felt as if I could have done at least a couple more km at under 8m per km leaving a lot more leeway for the last 8.

This is do-able (if that's a word).

14th October here I come.....
23/09/2012 at 13:53
Ohhh nutrition plan, etc...

I planned to drink around every 5k like the drink stations in the mara. I took a packet of jelly babies with me, 180g pack (it had 29 Jelly Babies) I wanted to try and eat a baby every km.

So started off eating a baby each km and drunk at 5 and 10km had way to much water sloshing around in my belly ;( drunk to much, do completely skipped drinking at 15km but drunk again around 20, 25, 30

Pretty much plodded along with the jelly babies. I had 2 left out of the pack.

Don't think I was flagging from lack of nutrients, so I think that I got it about right.

Steph
23/09/2012 at 15:10

I suggest on the day, use every water station but dont drink all they give you, a few mouthfuls is fine, especially if it is a full bottle at each station.

23/09/2012 at 15:39
Thanks. That sounds good advice. I just got carried away thinking must drink lots... that's one of the things you only learn from the long runs.
23/09/2012 at 17:32

You're doing great- now use these last few weeks to "groove" marathon pace, so that it just feels right- allow for a slow-down after about 18/20 miles, but don't get disheartened on race day if you feel like sh*t at some point- it is usually something you can run through. I'm doing my 8th marathon in 1 week. I've not done a single 20 miler in trainig, so you are ahead of me there.

It's good advice to try out everything that you need on race day- what breakfast re you going to have? How long before ( do you need to travel to the race?), are you going to try to drinks that they provide, or carry your own?

23/09/2012 at 17:41
Race is 10 miles from home. At 9:15 am I'm stuck between no food or shredded wheat, with a chopped up banana as that all I'd normally have at most for brekkie.

Drink wise I'm only going to drink water, no sports drink, and use jelly babies as my energy supplement. I'm taking a bag (maybe a fe extra ones) and plan to literally much a jelly baby every time my daemon beeps telling me I've knocked another km off

I wore t-shirt, shorts, socks and trainers today that I will use on the day.

So apart from what to do for brekkie and is it worth having a bowl of chicken pasta the night before I'm almost sorted

Will try to finish work early and pick my number up on Friday and pin it to my shirt so that Saturday is completely free.

Oh I need to buy a pack of blister plasters, just to be on the safe side.

If there is anything that I've missed please don't hesitate to jump in and tell me.
23/09/2012 at 21:33
Congratulations on a great training day booktrunk. Thats a massive milestone to hit.

I always have some breakfast on the day of a race, even if it means getting up earlier than you would choose. Its also a good idea to increase the amount of carbs you are eating for the 2 to 3 days before the race. You don't need to go mad though.

If you experience blisters, use body glide/vaseline on areas likely to rub.
141 to 160 of 2,563 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.