From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

1,661 to 1,680 of 3,191 messages
03/11/2013 at 14:15

Daeve: Yeah going there next weekend i think... Still a bit of a snot machine from cold, was going to go even with the cold today but couldn't find my HRM!! hehe somewhere at home.

Might do park run if I can get in a couple of runs in the week. Then maybe go from there to Old John, or do that on the Sunday.

Steph

03/11/2013 at 14:23

Parkrun is a good warm up for Bradgate - just did 7 miles around there today (avoided the hills mostly though).  Apart from the wind it was pretty nice - gret time of year Autumn.  I think I'm virused up a bit too, have been for a couple of weeks since the end of the marathon - everything is slower and harder.

Got the old HRM spike towards the end of my run - up to 220, apart from that it behaved, but I'd be interested to see how the new Garmin HRM-Run model on the 620 is in copmarison.  I'm currently using the Polar strap as it is better, but still spikes occasionally towards the end of a long run.

04/11/2013 at 18:34

Phewwww 

managed 4 miles / 6.4km tonight. First run in the dark this season.

it nearly killed me, I knew I still had cold but felt it was going, but had to stop a couple of times as I felt I was neatly drowning in phlegm. 

39:27 so barely under 10 minute miles felt a lot quicker but I guess that was down to the cold

long work day tomorrow. So will do some work with kettlebell weights whrn I get in, and the same Wednesday. Will wait till Thursday to try running again, I hope the cold will have gone by then.

wish I had put a sensible time down on asics form thingy I could only see the half hour things so said sub 4. Will kill me doing 5k at that speed with the cold ;( wish I had put down 4:15 as a target oh well! 

05/11/2013 at 19:01

I might have got carried away and ordered a shiny Orange and White 620... Wanders off with an innocent whistle.

05/11/2013 at 20:38

Gratz! Im after a 220 myself, my first running watch, but Sweatshop don't seem to have a clue when they will have them. After they appeared on their site, did you get an actual delivery date when completing your order?

05/11/2013 at 20:40

No phoned Nottingham shop they said were expecting or at least hoping they would arrive there on Friday. 

05/11/2013 at 20:43

Oh Dave I read some site that reported they had been shipped from garmin to the uk.

05/11/2013 at 20:53

Oh ok, I was wondering whether to order online but didn't want to end up paying to then get an email saying it was delayed. Will continue ringing stores each day and hope I get lucky!

Good luck for yours too, enjoy!

p.s. did you see or hear any being offered without the HR thingy? Website only has the bundled ones.

p.p.s. DC Rainmaker posted full reviews today in case you didn't see them

05/11/2013 at 21:28

I saw and no not seen them unbundled might be there just sort by price or look through other pages might just be trying to only highlight the Packaged versions

06/11/2013 at 00:01

....ok ordered 620.   610 did its job admirably.

06/11/2013 at 01:18

Are you black and blue Daeve or joining me in orange and white? 

06/11/2013 at 07:14

Blue for sure

06/11/2013 at 16:58

Hummmm...... Poooo

I've been getting a bit carried away with all the talk of racing Andi in Loch Ness next September, and realising just how bloody quick you need to go sub 4. 42.2km at around 5:40 per km is darn quick.  Heck i can only just go over that in 5km I really think I might be a little ambitious

Having a bad three weeks as well with the calf strain then the two week stinky cold.  Have only done around 10 miles week before last and 12 miles so far this week. Still get over the cold and keep ticking over till the new year

Having real dilemmas over short / quick running or long / slow running time will tell I guess

06/11/2013 at 18:39

Steph - 9 minute miles gets you there, but it is the endurance that matters more than speed.  I should be capable of a 3:20 marathon or thereabouts after training based on my 5/10K/HM times, but only just scraped a 4 hour one as I couldn't hold any pace long enough.

Get your 5K down to sub 24:30 (10K sub 51) and you should be good to go for it - that is not that far off where you are considering I don't think you've really concentrated on getting your speed up at all really (I think I'd be right in saying you've concentrated mostly on distance and endurance wouldn't I?).

Put in a 3 month 5K/10K training plan, shift that lactate threshold up and I don't imagine you'll' have any problems getting to ~24 min 5K.

My view is long slow running is great for a base - but at some point you'll have to commit and do some VO2max/threshold/interval training to gain some speed.  I suspect none of us are pushing as hard as we could/need to as we are stil on that improvement phase, but now we've been at it a while we need to keep stepping it up in order to continue the improvements.

06/11/2013 at 18:52

Well said Daeve I think that's right damn cold had better go soon. It's been a bad one friends n work colleagues have had as well seems to last 2 weeks give or take so going to have a gentle run if not raining tomorrow then hope it's cleared up at weekend.

oh loving the kettlebell weights, sure they are doing me good.

07/11/2013 at 11:16

Ohhh I wonder how Andi is doing is he mid house move or is that in a week or two?

07/11/2013 at 13:19

620 arrived today yipeeeee

07/11/2013 at 14:04

Oh really, grats on that You got it in store in the end?

07/11/2013 at 14:12

Nope from their online store said upto 48 hours for postage and 3-5 days for delivery... Ordered Tuesday at around 9-10PM at home at lunchtime.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/712846/gallery/garmin620.jpg?width=350

07/11/2013 at 14:16

Oh very nice! I had been reluctant to order online but now I know they physically have them I might have to sort my 220 order, especially with stores saying they might only get 3 or 4 of each to start with.

Enjoy!

1,661 to 1,680 of 3,191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.