From 0 to a Marathon in 22 weeks.

Preparing for a marathon from scratch, in 22 weeks.

161 to 180 of 3,374 messages
26/09/2012 at 18:59
Happy!!

Passed 500km today in training, not a huge amount but when I started I'm not sure i believed I would get this far.

I also want to scream with joy and pleasure as today is my 27th week of dieting and I broke the 70kg barrier 69.9 do 10stone 13.8lbs.

In 27 weeks I've lost 64.2lbs from 15st 8 now just in the 10stone bracket. Gone from a size 22/20 to a size 10/12

The running has made an amazing change to my body shape, I've lost 31cm around my waist for example.

HAPPY, HAPPY

Steph
26/09/2012 at 22:13

Hi Steph,

Fab thread and inspirational reading!

First of all, really great to see all the encouragement from RW forum members, some really good advice here -something I'm sure most of us (me) have taken on board.

Bit like you in that I was pretty ambitious  in that my first ever race was the Ashby 20 mile just before the London mara this year (lucky enough to get a late charity place and having  a mouth bigger than my running experience!)  Both races I can't speak highly enough of.

I'm no expert (and even lowest of the lowest on training), but your programme looks brilliant -I 'm sure I could have learned a bit from your discipline. No doubt you'll nail it with the determination youve shown.

I'm  doing the Leicester half mara (wimp out  from you full distancers!),  if you would be happy to give out your race number it would be great to look out for you and say hello!

All best and thanks for a great thread, really looking forward to see how you do!

PS: Local Leics girl too!

26/09/2012 at 22:39
Hi Jen, as soon as I've picked it up I'll be back telling everyone I think I will see if I can skip lunch on the first day they are open and go at 4ish to get it.

After the marathon I want to see if going via the cabal and river I can run from Loughborough to Leics

See you around after we've survived leics have to meet up and celebrate
27/09/2012 at 11:10

Hi Steph,

Think there is a good route via canal, about 15 miles in total? Like lots of other  runners this neck of the woods, I like Thornton Reservoir. Its about 2.4 miles (so 2 or 3 circuits- usually 2!, suits me just right), nice and flat and forgiving soft footpath.

Have picked up some great tips on the forum, not to mention inspiration to get entered for events. Speaking of, didnt get in through the ballot for next years London  so will have to see what others are recommending as alternatives. And don't suggest the Lakeland 50! You are showing some amazing grit by entering that and reading your posts, am sure you'll nail it

Will look out for you at Leicester and always up for celebration!

28/09/2012 at 08:16

Hi all,

Its my first post in this room.

Jen I have just entered the Manchester Marathon, the back end of April 2013. Its meant to be the flatest route in the country, and are saying that a lot of personal best times will be broken in 2013.

28/09/2012 at 11:37

Hi Sinbad,

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds good as occasionally spend a bit of time in Manchester with work and like the place, however, have had a look at the RW ratings and seems that stewards and support were brilliant, but baggage reclaim at end was chaotic, lots of lost stuff. I just be a bit concerned as would either be on my own or with hubby (who'd be running too) and would be a bit worried about lost keys/ phone etc. That said, I'm going to keep an eye on the forums to see what's being said neared the time. Good luck with your PB hunting though, I'd be happy to just get round as am a bit of a plodder!

Have looked at some of the other rated events and Northampton Run Fest (31 March) sounds good. It's laps which I appreciate doesn't appeal to all but I quite enjoy them as what I do for one of my fave runs. Gets some positive comments re: scenic, route, friendliness etc

28/09/2012 at 12:22

I tihnk if I don't collapse in a heap at the end and swear to never run again, my next mara will be Milton Keynes on May the 6th as I go down there once a week for work, and it seems to be pretty flat and I can get some of the local staff down there to cheer me on.  So i'm just going to get through my first one, and then I hope to sign up for MK.  Then it will be fun as the first it's just about finishing within 6 hours.  The second one i'll have a target I really want to beat.

28/09/2012 at 17:58

Hi Steph,

I sometimes go to MK to travel to London for work (austerity measures, bye bye Pendelino breakfasts!) As you say, seems pretty flat and an event that seems well liked - one to keep in mind.

Even if you swear never to run again, I promise that wont last long! You've clearly got the determination. And anyway, never mind which next marathon? You're also training for an ultra!

28/09/2012 at 18:45
I know I'm hooked...
28/09/2012 at 21:09

Milton Keynes is unnaturally flat

28/09/2012 at 21:41

unnaturally flat is my friend

28/09/2012 at 23:17
So for ultra practise I should probably do a 12 to 15 miler the day before followed by the MK marathon for practise
28/09/2012 at 23:38

sounds like a (sadistic) plan!

28/09/2012 at 23:49
Am I being daft.... Or does this sound sensible.

My marathon is on sunday 14th oct.. So I'm thinking of getting up at 6 the next two Sundays having the same breakfast and then going out for a gentle 12-16k run at the time I would start the marathon at 9:15. This way it will be my third Sunday in a row with the same routine.... OTT or a sensible idea?

Steph
29/09/2012 at 00:11

Hey Steph,

Who am I to know! I have gone from ossesovo running 5 to 8 miles week days with a 15 miler at weekends on run up to VLM last year - and that did me no good - finished in 4.55 odd cos I was knackered!

Looking back at your thread, Indo77 and AlsoRan have given great advice, listen to your body (and mind) and do what feels right. For me that's steady runs with a bit of a push every now and again. I don't get out of sorts anymore if I have to miss a day or three (or four!) cos of work or whatever. I usually find I enjoy my runs after a short break and am ready to take on a bit more distance and put a few (short!) sprints into it.

That's just me though - as said, you've had some great advice, but ultimately you've got to where you are (and marathon in 20 odd weeks is pretty awesome!) by following what feels best for you so trust your instincts

29/09/2012 at 00:20
Night x x x

I'm going to sleep I over analyse / plan this far to much... Just get off my (now skinnier) backside n run.
29/09/2012 at 13:24

Hi Jen,

What you said does sound a bit chaotic, about personal stuff, I will try and find out what ttheir plans are this year. Northampton sounds like a plan, nothing wrong witth having too many alternatives

Good for you Boottrunk, I'm  doing similar try and just get round. I'm quite lucky Jen my mum lives in Manchester, and is where I was born, so I won't need to take a lot with me.

I would go with Jen thoughts and plans, I'm like you though Boottrunk, I like idea of doing ultra runs.

29/09/2012 at 16:05

Hi all,

I know its my 2nd post before others. But I took a look at the ultra run, that goes from  Carlisle to Newcastle, it looks awesome.

29/09/2012 at 17:50

Hi Sinbad,

Is that the Wall? If so, it looks pretty amazing, more stunning part of the county you'd fail to find!

Good luck with training etc for Manchester, hopefully the organisers will address the problems of last year and it will go lots more smoothly!

Have a look at the reviews for Northants - seems like a good run with a few short hilly bits - would be interesting to see what more seasoned runners think regarding suitability for preparing for an ultra. As I say, I couln't add my two pennith cos my own running "programme" is just based round the fact that 'm never going to be a racing snake, but just simply enjoy it!

29/09/2012 at 17:58

Hi Jen,

yes I think its the wall. It looks stuunning views etc and you can do it in one or two days. Sounds like an easy way of getting into ultra running, if easy is the correct term to use.

I'm sort of inbetween yourse (enjoying it), or racing. By racing I mean trying to push distance and pb etc.

I will certainly look at the northants one.

By the way to enter the Manchester Marathon the deadline date is January sometime. We get updates about every two weeks, so I will ask the question about personal security of valuables then.

Nothing wrong in running for fun.

161 to 180 of 3,374 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.