getting back to it after illness

6 messages
03/09/2012 at 10:58

I’ve been running for just under a year now, I’ve previously done a half marathon and other 10k races. I have another 10k coming up at the end of September but a couple of weeks ago I was ill and couldn’t train and my diet was also affected. Today was my first day getting back into it and oh my god...I honestly thought I was going to collapse!! I have never ever run so badly, I had chest pains, difficulty getting my breath back and sore legs... I knew it was going to be difficult but please someone tell me it’s going to get easier!! Today I ran just short of 3 miles and if I’m in this state running at that distance then I have no idea how I’ll manage 10k in 3 weeks!! Any advice you guys can offer to help me get my stride back would be great x

03/09/2012 at 12:14

Are you sure that you are over the illness? I'd expect some dropoff in conditioning but that seems fairly extreme.

03/09/2012 at 12:36

yes i gave myself an extra week for recovery to make sure that id be alright and i was suppost to do the bupa great yorkshire run yesterday but pulled out because i didnt want to make myself worse...after running today i do feel good for it but during the actual training i was struggling to get my stride back.

03/09/2012 at 12:52

Perhaps you went off too fast - it's so good to get back out after illness or injury that I think we sometimes forget to go slowly to start off with. I would go out next time with the aim of going lots slower than you feel like and seeing how you get on.

I'm doing a 10k in three weeks and had 2 weeks off with an injured ankle. I know the "yikes, will I ever get round a 10k" feeling. I'm just going to do it slower than I would ahve done without the enforced break.

Good luck!

03/09/2012 at 16:27

I always find the first run after a few weeks off very hard, but after two or three runs it all clicks into place and your back into your normal rhythm.

Don't worry, a few weeks off won't have a major effect on your fitness, but it is a shock to the system when you suddenly ask your body to run again.

03/09/2012 at 20:50

Thanks for the advice both of you! Fingers crossed il be back to it in no time

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.