Getting Started

81 to 89 of 89 messages
16/08/2002 at 10:11
I guess technically "running" is when you, at some point, don't have either foot on the ground! Does that work out? Walking you always have at least one foot on the ground. Can anyone help me out here?

Fiona
Ratbag    pirate
16/08/2002 at 11:40
I've got to agree with Mij. Speed doesn't matter. Just being out there matters.

For the record, I understand that to be considered walking (in the athletic sense, for races) one foot must be in contact with the ground. It follows therefore that to be running, both feet need to be off the ground at some point. Again, don't worry about it. On another thread, someone (can't remember who now) said that in one race he decided to walk briskly up a hill and he overtook others who were 'running'.

All the best,

RB
16/08/2002 at 12:35
I'm going to have trouble in getting out tonight for my run (2 young children and a husband who plays golf!) and I don't have a treadmill at home - the only thing I have is a rebounder. Does anyone think it is of any help to me to run on the rebounder? I know it won't be the same but I just can't see a way round it. Its that or jogging round the lounge!! Any help or alternatives would be greatly appreciated 'coz I don't want to put up obstacles now I'm motivated.
16/08/2002 at 12:53
I usually get the skipping ropes out, you need a wee bit of room but the weans usually stay well clear which is an added bonus! You can work up a good sweat while keeping an eye on the dinner for when your man returns!!
16/08/2002 at 13:03
Take kiddies to the local track? Let them play as you run in circles.

OK. Its not necessarily practical. I understand as I'm in the same position. It can be very difficult can't it.
16/08/2002 at 13:05
Thank you James. I've done a bit of kickboxing so have a really wicked skipping rope which really hurts when it gets the back of your legs. Maybe that will make me jump higher! I really must get on with the hoovering now or I'll end up sitting here all day.
16/08/2002 at 13:55
Claire - how about running up & down the stairs..? Boring I know, but I can't think of anything else..!
Michelle x
16/08/2002 at 15:35
Thanks for all your thoughts. I may go to the local park and the kids can play on the swings and slides and I could run round the perimeter of the field. They're never out of my sight then. Mind you, I thought the point of running was that I left them all behind!
16/08/2002 at 15:39
Claire

I have spent a lot of time in hotels sometimes in places where I didn't really want to go out running! In these instances I use a chair and do steps up - this is really hard work. Alternatively I use the time for cross training (push ups, sits ups etc)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 89 of 89 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.