giving up the booze

Can I?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
14/05/2013 at 11:54

Y'know if this thread is a help to you Sinbad then that's all that really matters - I read it and I think "good luck to you" - for putting it out there, that can't be easy, admitting to yourself is a big thing.  And I think you're trying hard, but sometimes you beat yourself up for slipping, which I understand, we are always our own worst critics, but it's still early days and no-one ever kicked any habit in one go with no slips or accidents.  So be a bit easy on yourself, eh?

You sound so committed to getting your life back, let that be the overriding thing that drives you.

It's frightening to think you might need to kick the booze for good, but sometimes you have to be ralistic about what's in store.  I know it's not the same but I had about 7 stone to lose, and have had for decades, and it only started working for me once I accepted that it was going to take me 2 or 3 years.  Only then did I understand that it wasn't the work of a moment and I had to work really hard at it for a long time.  I'm only about half way after 18 months but every day I try.  Sometimes I fail, but I have to not let one bad food choice affect the rest of my life.  Maybe it would help to think like that for you and drink - if you do have a drink(s), can you make yourself think that you won't let that one slip-up undo all your work and dictate the rest of your life?

However you go on, good luck.  Keep posting if it helps, you can track your progress, moods, triggers etc and that's a valuable tool.

14/05/2013 at 12:56

Agree with bookwork-airhead...  I read this thread out of interest and it reads like a self-help stream of consciousness, which is great.  Admitting the problem and taking responsibility is definitely the first big step.

I have a big interest in alcohol and how it affects people's lives, and think there's a huge problem in this country, which stems directly from the attitude that getting pissed is a completely acceptable way to have fun.  My Dad is a reformed alcoholic and I watched him chuck his life away and nearly kill himself a good few times.  He "lost" his family (I say "lost" because he didn't lose any of us, but the drinking led to my parents' divorce and him leaving the family home) through drinking and very nearly lost his life about 10 years ago.

He did very well to turn it around after that scare and over the course of the next year or so became alcohol free.  He lasted about 6 or 7 years and then slipped gradually back into drinking and last year he was drinking heavily again and it caused some more health problems for him.  He's totally kicked it again, but the point is that the old cliche "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic" to me seems very accurate.  My Dad can't handle being just a social drinker.  He thought he could and at first it would seem like he could but he didn't notice the increase in amount and frequency and all of a sudden he was on the road back to drinking every day.

I made the decision to give up drinking on 1st January 2012.  I don't like alcohol at all - I've had a real thing about it ever since I was in my early 20s (I'm 31 now) which stems directly from what I've seen happen to my Dad.  I've never had a problem myself other than the same problem that a massive amount of the population in Scotland has - i.e. binge drinking is the norm and completely socially acceptable.  I found it difficult to only have a couple of beers without it leading to 6 or 7 or more beers and then the following 2 to 3 day hangover.  I don't miss alcohol at all, and I miss hangovers even less.  I just hope my Dad stays off the booze for the rest of his life now.

Good luck sinbad. 

14/05/2013 at 21:51

Hi All,

Thanks for that bookworn-airhead (interesting nickname/ The best of it is i know others that come here, have similarissues to myself. My hope is that it helps those who read these posts that their not alone with their personal battle, that's why I keep posting, hoping that other's can keep trying for themselves, knowing they can come perhaps here, and know what they feel is not just them. But I also know how hard it is to come on here, and not feel judged in any way.

Well done with the eating issue, keep at it.

I went out today as I expected, but have slowly started telling those I trust my intentions. First by going in later in the morning, and increasing my soft drinks, one person I told, I think is unsure where I'm going with booze (my dream is to one day run the sahara desert ultra run, I know beyond me now, but this is what I'm telling people, well I hope people know what I mean.

Hi Calum Crighton/ I understnad what your saying completly, I saw one friend 2 days before he died of booze. I now have a friend in Scarborough (boats, who had a blood transfusion) and told if he touches alcohol again it will kill him.

Thats so easily done with situations like your father situation. Its one reason why I start at ON Tak on Friday. Could you please let e know how your father is doing from time to time. So do I, not just for himself, but for your families sake to.

I'm impressed with anyone that manages like yourself that can stay off the booze.

Thank you.

I just wonder just how many people follow my journey and not post? as theres about 1,000 now give or take?

Thanks for posting, its just that I know people watch, it just gets lonely sometimes. But, if it helps others then thats my determination to keep posting.

I will try for a run again sometime Wednesday. Don't hold your breath though. Thanks for telling me you watch my progress.

My first goal ,is to run the Blackpool 10k end of August. I did the 5k MoRun last year. If that goes well, then I will consider doing a HM. eithe in December or soon after Christmas.

I have npt slrpt now for a good 24 hours/

I hope that all of you sleep peacefully.

15/05/2013 at 15:41

Hi All,

I had a break through yesterday, good news for a change.

I didn't go into the pub till 11am. And that Lime and soder before I had a pint. I also told tose that I saw, that I will slowly increase the soft drinks. One friend was a unsure how to take it, another couple just went quiet for a while. To be honest there just people I drink with, rather than friends, and others I just say hi to.

On a plus I went out for a run today, but tell I had had a few beers, I had added on 5 minutes from my last run. But got to start somewhere, after a few beers.

People are welcome to add their own experiences with booze, and how it may affect their running, and lves generally.

Hope everyone is okay?

16/05/2013 at 15:43

Hi All,

Just to let you know I spoke to the developers about this again yesterday and they have asked me to provide you the link to this: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/giving-up-the-booze/43955-1521.html#last original thread and to say that if you could not create any more threads with this title that would help them.

Will keep you update when I hear.

Thanks and apologies for problems here.

Annie 

16/05/2013 at 15:52

Hi All,

Thanks for that Annie RW. that link does go to the original thread.

I won't post again here.

But, could you please, please, please please. Do everything you can to get the original thread back on he beginners page.

20/05/2013 at 12:34

It's back! Have posted it to the top of the beginners page. Sorry for the delay, it disappeared because the creator of it left the site.

Annie

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.