Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,221 to 29,240 of 31,578 messages
04/08/2012 at 06:23

Morning Cinders

Dead serious about Beachy.  Unless one of your legs actually drops off, we full expect you to be on the start line.

04/08/2012 at 08:56

Morning

*wibble*

04/08/2012 at 10:06

Lots of walkers Cinders.  I run a bit, walk a lot, and munch on mars bars.  That has always been my strategy.

04/08/2012 at 10:25

Now that sounds more like it................a run/walking picnic lol

04/08/2012 at 14:51

HTF, surely you mean - run a bit, walk a lot, and munch on bananas

Cinders - shes been abused, that much we know but not the extent of it but from her behaviour it's probably quite extreme   She's hyper in the daytimes and can keep bad thoughts out of her head but they all creep back in the night 

Do you fancy a little 10k in Oxtend with ST a couple of weeks before Beachy - HTF & I have entered http://www.oxtedrunners.org.uk/10k/

04/08/2012 at 18:34

Poor kid

I sniggered at the name of that run

07/08/2012 at 11:03

Morning everyone   How was everyone's weekend?  We had a friend over on Saturday and it wasn't as good as I was expecting.  She is my oldest friend but now I'm not sure whether we just got on because we were pissed all the time.  I don't see her much as she works shifts and has other stuff going on so we just slot in when we can.  I don't know if I've changed since I stopped drinking, but she didn't seem like the same person anymore   In the end I couldn't wait for her to go home, which saddened me.  Apart from that I did a bit of gardening and two challenges in the Olympic Decathlon Challenge at the leisure centre: 500m row in 2:12 and 10k cycle in 17:15   Two down only eight more to go!

Food changes kicked in properly yesterday   At the moment I am just working on giving up crisps, chocolate, cake etc and not worrying about anything else.  The dietician said I was trying to change too much at once and I think she's right.  Have read through my motivation book and am working through my answers to the questions in there, which are more difficult than I had thought they would be.  Have to complete a Mood, Food and Exercise Diary every day too, which is helping.  Have done the food and exercise ones before but not one with mood in it and that is making me think a lot more about things. 

Is KC having any kind of counselling SL, to help deal with the abuse?  Poor little kid must be in turmoil inside. 

07/08/2012 at 12:24

Morning.  Still full of snuffles

Sorry to hear that your weekend didn't go as expected TST.  Does sound like things have changed between you two.  Could it be also that you don't see her often anymore?

Do you have to note down your mood each time you have a meal or something to eat? 

Hope you are ok SL, have seen on fb that you've been having migraines.

07/08/2012 at 14:25

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/gallery/big_hug.gif?width=350

for the snuffles Cinders and for SL for the migraines

I don't think it's to do with not seeing her so often as I've not seen her a few times a year since we moved here 11 years ago.  I think it maybe that you don't notice things so much when you're drunk or that they don't annoy you in the same way they do when you're sober.  Am kind of hoping that maybe we were both having an 'off' day and thinks will be back to normal next time I see her. 

Yes, the diary has a space for me to fill in every time I eat, although I don't think I am going to use it each time, just when I feel I have something to put whether that's positive or negative.  There's not exactly a lot of space for the mood bit, so I'm going to do my own version of it with more space for mood and less space for where I am and who I'm with as generally that's only home or work and on my own or with Mr TST!!

07/08/2012 at 18:27

How long do you keep the food diary for TST?  Be interesting to learn more about the mood side of it when you next see the dietician?  Are you having to cut out crisps, choc etc for the whole time?

Er, anyone else got a email re Beachy today???

07/08/2012 at 20:47

Oh yes Beachy is looming Cinders, email received!  Have you worked out yet if you are driving over that morning or staying down in Eastbourne the night before.  I'm thinking we will drive down that morning, but are staying overnight on the Saturday.

08/08/2012 at 11:05

Morning everyone

Need to do it for at least the next six weeks until I see the nutritionist again I think.  I don't think she goes through the diary, it's more to help me think about possible mood triggers and the like I think but I am assuming we will discuss it when I next go.  Realistically I will have to cut out crisps, chocolate etc for a very long time, probably forever   I am the same with them as I am with booze, total abstainance or complete binge; I do not apparently know how to do it in between.  I've been this way with that sort of junk stuff since I was a kid and have gone through periods where I am binging and where I am not having anything.  I suspect if I thought about it the binging periods will co-incide with times I wasn't drinking so much or taking many drugs.  Guess it would appear I have an extreme addiction personality type

When is Beachy Head?  I assume not long if you are getting emails from the organisers!! 

08/08/2012 at 15:08

TST - I am exactly the same when it comes to rubbish food.  All or nothing.  At the moment I am nothing, having joined SL on the raw diet for 28 days.  I may well eat her when we get to Beachy.

Beachy is toward the end of October.  Cinders has it on a spread sheet somewhere, and will be able to tell you exactly how many days to go!

08/08/2012 at 15:57

How's the raw diet going HTF?  I'm not doing it but following the threads.  Just aiming to introduce more fruits.

08/08/2012 at 18:26

80,  that number would look so much better with another number in front of it!

Its going better Cinders.  The first few days were like windy city here, and my stomach was very uncomfortable.  Now its settled down, but I went for a run this morning, but had no energy.  SL promises me I will suddenly feel energised, so hoping that is real soon now!

Well done on introducing more fruits.  Did anyone watch Horizon the other night, that was on aging and the effects of fasting and calorie limiting diets.  The way forward is not to eat like fat, greedy pigs - who knew

08/08/2012 at 20:37

I watched it last night, made for interesting viewing.  Same with the *Hairy Dieters*, not sure if anyone watched that.  Basically they were eating too much!!!

08/08/2012 at 21:30

Evening all - I have read back all the previous posts but can't remember any of the ones on the last page 

Yikes - only 80 days, I hope that raw energy kicks in soon......  Did you enter the 10k too Cinders, me, HTF, ST have entered.  

Good luck with your new diet regieme, must be hard coping with so much all at once. I bet the food diary will be very insightful.  

HTF, it's a 30 day challenge - you're not getting off that lightly   

I think HTF is doing better than me right now but she's got to eat more - you have to eat a minimum of 2500 cals when you eat this way, it's hard at first but you soon get used to it.  We've all been told for so long not to eat too much and now we  can eat all we want - so long as it's raw fruit, veggies and the occasional few nuts and seeds.  It's not strict strict strict like some, you can add some seasonings like dried herbs or curry powder but not salt.  If you're exercising lots (like we should be right now ) you should aim to eat more - I can munch down 10 nanas in one sitting now but could I eat 2 or 3 at first .

I've been detoxing like mad - basically all the shite stuff we consume whether it's food, drink or medications that our bodies can't really use or recognise as food are stored in our fat cells - the more shite the fatter we are, then when we stop putting that stuff in they're released into the bloodstream so the body can deal with it and get it out.  That's the root cause of my migraines - All those years of booze, curries etc and just recently horrible meds are being cleaned out bit by bit.  I've had 5 days of migraines then yesterday I was ill too, all shivery and had the heating on and was wrapped in a blanket and wearing a fleece and joggers and was still freezing cold.  ~Thankfully I've felt so much better today - still a bit of a lingering headache but no migraine and no vomiting 

I've managed 32 lengths of the pool today - I went with KC and my sister so we took it in turns to swim and watch her.  The pool at Hastings is really nice so we're all going together again next time we go down to visit 

Hope everyone's well today x

09/08/2012 at 09:17

Morning all

Good swimming SL   Are you still having migraines?

What's the name again of the 10k?

09/08/2012 at 11:09

Morning everyone  

Not too long until Beachy Head then!  Am sure you'll all be super fit and ready to go by then by the looks of it! 

Hope your migraines are all done now SL.  You and HTF are doing really well at sticking to your raw food thing, I certainly couldn't do it!

I saw the last half of the Horizon thing Cinders, although haven't seen the Hairy Dieters one.  Heaven knows how he managed to do four days without food though, I'd have a breakdown or kill someone if I couldn't eat for that long!  I'm bad enough when I get up in the morning before I've had food, Andy and my friends just keep out the way until I've eaten or they just get there heads ripped off

Been to the physio this morning, still can't run   Got to keep ploughing on with the exercises to build the quads up, but in the meantime I can do some power walking so at least that's something.   Guess I should expect that something that's been a problem for years isn't going to be sorted in a few months.  But at least I can build up some time/distance with the walking so I'll be fit and ready for my 5k fun run on 9 September   Can't let it get me down this time, just have to turn it around and use it to make me stronger; onwards and upwards as they say!

09/08/2012 at 11:27

Morning all

TST, you had me laughing out loud thinking we'll be super fit for Beachy and ready to go - more like just about hanging in there and quivering with fright on the start line!  As for eating raw - you'd be great at it - I reckon you've got to have a bit of an addictive personality to do well on it - and lets face it whether its booze, food or sport most of us on here have that   As for the running - better to take whatever time it needs to get better rather than go too soon and end up nobbling yourself for good - as they all say 'slowly slowly catchy monkey 

I've got the Horizon programme recorded, must have a look, it sounds interesting but nothing new really.

HTF - how are you getting on with the book?

Have a lovely day everyone and enjoy the sunshine 

No migraine so far today, bit of a bad head last night but it passed without developing into a migraine.  I reckon I'm over the worst of the initial detoxing bit now, I actually feel pretty good today and am looking forward to running club tonight  (maybe the smiley should be a ) I'm tired because I haven't had much quality sleep over the past few nights but an early night and lots of fruity stuff should sort that out 

Cinders  - you're only asking me the name of that race cos you want to snigger again - it's TITSEY 10K are you coming to join us 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.