Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,281 to 29,300 of 31,279 messages
16/08/2012 at 08:35

Morning all - back to fat club last night and had only put on a 1lb whilst being away which meant that I went in bang on target - RESULT!

SL my son had a similar episode about six years ago but hasn't had one since.  Thankfully his happened at home and I was there to see it.  His was early in the morning and pre-breakfast.  He had all the tests etc and although it was frightening at the time it's never happened again.  Hope all is well with your son xx

Fingers crossed for you and the job Cinders

Hi HTF hope you're ok

Good luck Yeo - hope the cafe sorts itself out soon - must be difficult for those working there

16/08/2012 at 08:46

Morning peeps

SL - that is a worry.  Amazing that they could not find anything wrong.  Hope like trigger's son, it was a one off.  How is he feeling today?

Well done trigger on hitting your target.  Thinking you are the only one on here that has!

Hope today goes okay Yeo.  Get those trainers sorted.  Autumn is going to be with us soon, and its a wonderful season to get back into running.

Almost 5 miles done yesterday.  Still don't feel fully fueled though, and Beachy is starting to worry me a bit.  Realistically if I ate a mars bar now I think it would make me really sick. 

My friend has managed to pick up a place for Beachy, so there is now quite a group of us.  Having said that, she has legs like a gazelle, so we will only see her at the start line....

16/08/2012 at 08:57

Morning

How is your son now SL.  Can't believe either that nothing showed up. 

((( Yeo ))) Hope the client visit goes ok.

Well done Trigger on just a lb .

Good running SL and HTF.  Putting my trainers in for the weekend (if they fit!!!) but not sure if i'll manage a plod. 

Off now so have a good weekend all

16/08/2012 at 11:15

Morning all

I haven't heard from my son yet today, no answer when I called but I'm sure I'd have heard if there was a problem.  Hope it's just a one off and doesn't happen again.

You'll be fine today Yeo - maybe a bit sad but try to think of the happy times you  had there with mum rather than the sad.

Well done on just gaining 1lb, that's good going when you've been surrounded by temptation.

Good runing HTF - and yes, you probably would be sick if you ate a mars bar now! How did you feel after you'e run,  I had only had 3 hours sleep the night before yet I still felt good running and didn't have any aches or pains after 

Have a great weekend Cinders, put those trainers on and get out running, see if you can beat a balloon 

18/08/2012 at 10:31

4 miles done for me this morning - how the hell are we going to get around Beachy

Need to go for 6 miles tomorrow.  Will include lots of walking I imagine.

Whats everyone else up to this weekend?  Fab weather for Cinders.

18/08/2012 at 22:09

Well done HTF - I've cleared out the junk room which is equivalent to a long run 

18/08/2012 at 23:15
4 miles more than me HTF . I'm so unfit

Yay to junk room clearing. Most def a workout

No running as had mum over but we saw the 6pm balloons go up and then some tethered doing their burners in the dark to music. Amazing
Edited: 18/08/2012 at 23:16
19/08/2012 at 10:59

Souns lovely Cinders  

Off to family BBQ today, I'm taking a huge salad and lots of fruit with me - it's hubby's family and they do will eat a whole pig/sheep/cow between them - literally 

19/08/2012 at 12:43

Lovely photo on FB Cinders - looks amazing.

I could probably eat a pig/sheep/cow too at the moment SL.  Fell of the wagon 2 days ago and ate 4 packets of crisps and 3 chocolate bars.  Also ate a left over boiled egg for brekkie this morning.  Tasted fab.

7 miles done this morning with an embarrasing amount of walking, but hey, time of feet and all that.

19/08/2012 at 18:35

Glorious day out there .  Parkrun for me yesterday and then 8 miles this morning - GNR is only 4 weeks away - HELP!

19/08/2012 at 22:19

Oops HTF, did you feel alright after eating that and are you back on board with the fruity stuff?  Any time I eat something cooked I get a headache or get sick, couldn't resist a really nice slice of bread and some brie on it today - already got the headache   That was all I had that I shouldn't have, I took a lovely pineapple, mango & OJ smoothie and a lovely salad - lettuce, toms, cucumber, coriander, a couple of nectarines, a couple of peaches and a mango .  it was lovely, I put the bowl on the table while I had my smoothie and when I went to get some half of it was gone  everyone loved it 

I'd love to help with the GNR Trigger but I'm as useless as a chocolate frog right now where running is concerned   You'll be just fine - at least you've actually done some running!

The balloon festival looks lovely Cinders, so calming to watch 

The BBQ was lovely, got to see some neices and nephews I hadn't seen for 13 yrs and some great nieces nephews I've never met - some of hubbys family had a bit of a fall out when his dad died - money and stuff of course, it'll never happen in my family, we haven't got any money   KC behaved herself too, she was hyper and played with all the very young kids rather than ones her age or a bit older and spent most of the time 'helping' them - also known as bossing them about but they didnt mind.  We didn't get home till 9pm, she's in bed but still awake now (10.20) -she better get to sleep soon, kept me up till 12.30 last night having a wobbly 

20/08/2012 at 13:03

Afternoon everyone   Am 'back' from my week off although technically we didn't go anywhere!  Did some chilling out, a bit down the lottie (although not as much as I'd have liked), went to the beach a couple of times and had a friend to stay for a few days.  Very nice all in all but really could have done with two weeks!  Still, only a four day week next week and then we are off again a week after that  

Been an up and down week recovery wise.  Had my last counselling session last Friday and that seemed to panic me rather, although I didn't realise it at the time.  Had a couple of bad depression days this week with some bad food binging which was disappointing as I was hoping a week off would help me get myself organised, but I have to accept that recovery is a long process and as I've been drinking for 30 years I'm not going to get better in a few months.  So onwards I go and hope that the gap between the bad days continues to expand - it currently is about every 6 days or so whereas before it was every couple of days and for a few days so I can see there is improvement there

Did anyone see the Russell Brand programme about addiction?  It was on last week I think but we recorded it and watched it last night.  I'm not keen on the bloke, but was impressed by his documentry and being an addict and having spent several years working with them, he has some very valid points.  Shame the government won't take any notice and change the way it deals with people with addiction problems and invest in getting off the drink/drugs rather than throwing methadone at them.  It's ridiculously difficult to get help when you need it as my own experience taught me; if it hadn't been for that one helpful nurse I'd probably still be drinking.  If I was even here at all.

Well done everyone who is running, and Trigger you will be fine if you are already up to 8 miles

20/08/2012 at 20:13

Evening all, long drive home.

Didn't see the programme TST, what channel was it on in case I can iplayer it.  Sorry to hear counselling was hard.  You are doing great though, increasing the days is a good sign

How are you feeling today SL, did the headache pass? 

Trigger, ditto, if you are up to 8 miles then you will do good

Had a fab few nights away, the balloon festival was amazing.  No running but walked miles, little C included.  Still no sign of the missing wedding ring though

20/08/2012 at 21:15

I didn't see the programme either TST, have you read Russel Brand's book, it was quite good surprisingly   You're doing really well, never forget how far you've come - especially on those tough days.

The headache passed Cinders - stuck with the nanas today, and grapes and peaches etc....... apart from the bit of kc's dinner she didn't eat, chicken and bacon pasta in a cheesy sauce. She'd eaten all the meat but the cheesy pasta smelt sooooo good   Oh well, I suppose it'll be another headache tomorrow........  We're off to the foster agency for a 'ready steady cook' activity day tomorrow - I'd better take lots of bananas with me 

21/08/2012 at 16:22

Afternoon

Did you get a headache from the pasta SL?  And how did the activity day go?

Well I got the job, eeek!  Now got just short of 4 weeks to try and shift a bit of lard and find some work clothes.  Best dust of the trainers

21/08/2012 at 23:31

Fortunately for me Cinders I didnt' - might have one tomorrow though as I've eaten all sorts today that I shouldn't.  Congrats again on the job by the way 

We went to the activity day, everything had to be prepared and cooked outside either in a stone pizza oven or on a bbq, they had to make meatballs and spaghetti, chicken curry and create some desserts.  I made a fantastic loaf of bread and an even better cake.  I'd taken all my food with me but the day was about it being a challenge for the kids, they set the table and everyone sat round to eat the food they'd made - I made a conscious decision to have a bit of everything as it's important for all these kids to get praise and approval for their achievements.  Most of them have suffered neglect, violence, verbal, physical and sexual abuse.  None of them have any self esteem, they all feel they are bad and worthless and have serious behaviour problems so just to work together in teams and be able to create a fantastic meal with all the extras is a major achievemnent for them.  I figured one day of rubbish however it made me feel was worth it if it made them feel good about themselves - even if it is only for one afternoon - does that make sense   I only ate a tiny bit of everything, thankfully I didn't get any pain and so far no headache   We had a really good day, me and one of the other crazy kind of carers were singing all day - whatever word came up in conversation we tried to find a song about it - very funny and the kids thought we were nuts 

Hope everyone's had a fantastic day as well today x

22/08/2012 at 09:27

Morning, sounded a fab day enjoyed by all SL.  Glad KC had a good time

Dentist and waiting in for a replacement bed this morning, what fun.  Hope to get along to Broadstairs Water Gala this pm though   Hey, I might even manage a plod lol

22/08/2012 at 10:55

Morning all, lovely and sunny here again and tomorrow should be even better   Strange side effects from the food yestersday, no colon pain, migraine or sickness but have got an almighty allergic reaction with hives all over my body and itching like mad.  I'm also full of mucus and  had to use my inhaler and nasal spray just to be able to breathe comfortably in bed last night - first time I've needed to since about day 3 of the challenge   Oh well, we live and learn...... there's every chance I'll start getting a bit feverish in a couple of days too.

22/08/2012 at 11:50

Morning everyone   Am a bit fuzzy round the edges at the moment, so you'll have to excuse any blunders! 

Think the Russell Brand programme was on BBC 3 Cinders, and really well done on the job   No, not read his book SL, might get it out the library at some point.  Sounds like you all had a great time at the cookery day SL, think it's a brilliant idea!

Well, I'm broken yet again   Got up Monday morning to find my left wrist wouldn't work at all, for no apparent reason as I didn't bang it or do anything to upset it on the Sunday or previous few days.  Doctors have given me pain killers (which don't seem to be working and are making me feel sick, but the blurb says that should pass in a few days), told me to put a tubi-grip on, try to keep it moving (which just makes it hurt like feck), take ibuprofen and go back if it doesn't go away.  The pain is comparable with when I've broken it, really not good.  Am in work and just seeing how it goes and my boss is happy for me to come in late and go early.  Have brought a pillow in so I can lie on the floor after I take my lunchtime pain killers as when they hit my system they make me feel dizzy and faint - a 'white and wobbly' we used to call it when I used to take drugs!  I probably could stay at home, but I'd rather potter here and do some work than just lay on the sofa at home.  It hurts to type for any length of time so if I'm quiet for a few days that's why - had to type this in stages! 

22/08/2012 at 12:59

Hi TST - I watched Russells Documentray and felt the same - I think he has some very valid points. I love RB  

I have recently chosen to stop drinking and finidng the reactions from people very entertaining at the moment. I am loving the new not hungover me and feel the best I have ever felt in my life as I train for my frist 1/2 Marathon. I didnt have an addicition problem, but I drank a lot more than I should and felt like I was wasting my youth and abusing myself. All of my mates/partner drink though, I am 25 and if you dont do drugs or booze at my age I think people think there is something wrong with you.

The other day on the way to a social gathering my friend popped into the shop to get some booze and asked me if I wanted anything - I said yes just some vimto please. When he returned he had remembered hisbooze but not my vimto and said ahh never mind they will have pop there....and off we drove. I made the point that if he had forgotten his booze he would have been straight back in the shop for it. Just because my request was non alcoholic for some reason it was less important/a less valid drink. He agreed and I think felt really bad (and so he should the little turd!). It is interesting when you don't drink, peoples perspectives on alcohol and how the view it as more valid than soft drinks!!

*sips vimto*

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.