Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,301 to 29,320 of 31,267 messages
22/08/2012 at 16:45

Sorry to hear about that TST, I wonder what it could be   hope the painkillers begin to work soon x

Just been to the agency for kc to see her mum, she'll be ok today and tomorrow but in the coming weeks will probably deteriorate until she has a major violent blow out - oh well, we keep plodding onwards............  Her mum isn't supposed to bring anything for her but we don't mind the odd small thing and they normally have lunch together so I don't mind her having crisps or a choc bar or maybe a dessert if mum brings them - she normally brings loads of sweets, crisps and fizzy drink and KC ends up being sick in the car on the way home.  It was at a later time today so she had lunch before she left, mum bought::-

1 strawberry cheesecake trifle

2 pepparamis

2 easter eggs (not mini/creme eggs - big ones)

1 Pack of chicken Fridge Raiders 

14  chocolate fairy cakes made by nan

1 spirograph game

1 spiral art game which is the same as spirograph

1 pack of craft squares and shapes

1 pack of colouring pencils

1 pack of normal pencils

1 pack of felt tip pens

1 Hello Kitty stationary set (more pens and pencils)

1 Hello Kitty biro

1 Hello Kitty Keyring

3 small hard plastic dogs (from home)

1 Syvannian type bear doll

1 Picture (paint by numbers) of tigers done by mum (don't mind that)

1 Picture (paint by numbers) of horses done by brother (don't mind that either)

1 card with message from Grandad and £5 note - she's not supposed to have any contact with him! 

I think that's all but there could be more!   She's up in her room playing something with them now, it'll keep her occupied for now 

22/08/2012 at 16:50

Hi Lmk57, well done you for making such a positive step, it's so difficult for anyone under 30 these days to just go out and enjoy themselves without having to be pi$$ed or high before they even leave home, sad thing is they will pay heavily for it in later life health wise and in their wallets!  Feel free to join in anytime, we're a friendly bunch.  At the moment theres just a few of us chatting regularly but there are lots of ex regular posters lurking who jump in to say hi now and then and all newcomers are welcome 

22/08/2012 at 16:52

TST, is it something related to a previous break?  Think you'd mentioned breaking a wrist.  Hope the painkillers do their thing and the wooziness passes soon.

Yikes SL, that's not exactly something *little* is it?  How on earth do you deal with that, could she end up bringing even more next time or can you say something?  Must be very confusing for KC.

Hi lmk87 and good luck for your first half, when is it?

23/08/2012 at 08:51

Welcome Lmk57 - good luck with the not drinking.  I like you believed I was drinking too much - wine every night so made the decision to stop drinking at home.  I still drink when we go out for a meal or when on holiday - just not at home.  Been doing that for 4 months now.

Crikey TST that sounds very painful - hope you recover soon.

SL that sounds really over the top - how often does she see Mum?  Must be difficult for you when you're the one who has to discipline following her blow outs.

Hey Cinders how're you doing?

Racing towards the end of summer hols - can't believe back to school week after next.  Having fitted wardrobes installed in son's bedroom today so have workmen in the house - ugh!  Waiting to have some replacement windows installed in conservatory next week and then blinds installed - busy, busy!

At fat club last night - lost 1/2lb so well within target.  5 miles for me tonight - am struggling with the training plan at the moment and am not really enjoying the long runs - finding them a real chore this time round.  Haven't even received my race pack yet so that's another worry 

23/08/2012 at 11:53

Morning everyone   So the wrist problem was an arthritis flare up, my first one so worrying as I didn't know what it was.  After two days of feeling really ill we called a nurse friend yesterday afternoon to ask her advice as I wasn't too confident on some of the advice given by the doctor.  It's the codeine that was making me so ill - nausea, dizzyness, feeling faint, hot flushes, thirst and dry mouth - so she told me to stop taking them straight away.  Am now taking ibuprophen, paracetamol, icing the joint and using BioFreeze gel, and it's made a massive difference!  Today I'd feel almost back to normal with none of the problems from yesterday and my wrist has gone from being about 5% mobile with massive pain to about 65% mobile with not much pain this morning.  It's most likely the heat that caused it inflamation (so probably why icing seems to be very effective) so not much I can do about another flare up happening if the circumstances are right.  Never had it do this abroad though so am hoping it was just a set of conditions that won't happen that often.  The main thing is that I'll be fit to have a go at archery on Saturday!

Welcome along LMK57   I am a total abstainer rather than a dabbler; I'm an alcoholic and probably the person that the phrase '1 is too many and 15 is not enough' was made for so I don't drink at all any more.  In fact it was 40 weeks on Tuesday! 

That's a hell of a lot of stuff her mum brought SL!  Are they not supervised visits so they can check on what her mum is giving her? 

Well done on fat club Trigger, you're doing really well!   Don't think I've lost anything at all so have to get myself together as I really don't want to go back to the dietician in four weeks as fat as last time I went!

Oh, and well done on the job Cinders!

23/08/2012 at 20:11

These holidays have flown by Trigger, I can't believe it's only one week left either   Try to put your happy head on when you go out for a run, keep telling yourself what great fun you're having and you might just start to believe it  Well done with the weight loss - I've thrown my scales away and only weigh myself when I remembet to at the docs.. 

Sorry to hear about the arthritis TST, literally a pain! Glad to hear it's feeling better today, codeine's a rotten drug, I can't take any stuff like ibruprofen, it's a killer for my stomach.  Make sure you always eat before you take them, they can cause ulcers etc. 

kc's contact visits are supervised but it's too late when she arrives with everything as little 'en sees it.  They used to be supervised by a social worker but now they've employed someone to do it and she didn't know that she shouldn't have any contact with other family members or that mum shouldn't bring things - not her fault.

We've been to the beach today- Joss Bay, jsut up the road from Cinders. A lovely time was had by all   It was an agency organised day and lots of the kids were there but not all the carers.  It makes me cross when they drop the kids off and leave them to the social workers to look after - it's supposed to be for everyone but some carers don't always treat the kids like one of the family.  I know there are times when they have things they have to do but there's only one other kid who's almost as challenging as kc and both me and her carer alway stay and join in - the others can't wait to escape 

24/08/2012 at 17:47

You picked the right day SL, chucking it down here now.  Joss Bay is about 5 mins by road from me   We're wet anyway, been swimbling. 

How long was the session for SL, sounds well off to just dump and run so to speak!

Well done at fat club Trigger

Sounds very painful TST.  Is the athritis a result of breaking your wrist.  Codeine sounds grim, glad you realised it was that making you sick.

24/08/2012 at 21:53

We certainly did pick the right day, it started raining here about 5pm, stopped for a bit and is chucking it down again now 

Hubby got a big cheque coming in the post, he phoned his credit card and said he wanted to claim back the PPI - they got him to fill in a form and hey presto - cheque in the post.  Sadly for him I'm spending most of it on a new second hand car, I can't fit me, hubby kc, my 2 kids, one girlfriend, 2 greyhounds, big tent and assorted camping bits in a ford ka!  It's unlikely we'd all be in it at one time but I can't fit just me, kc, dogs and tent/stuff in my car - when I put the bikes on the back I'm amazed it doesn't tip up with the front wheels in the air   This is the one I think I'm going to get http://www.imperialmotorcompany.com/used-kia-cars-41.htm

25/08/2012 at 23:45

We put a deposit on that car today, I took hubby to see it and we both took it for a test drive - very nice.  Just need the cheque to clear now.

26/08/2012 at 08:45

Morning

Fab news on the car SL

26/08/2012 at 16:53

I can't wait Cinders   Hubby is at the pub and officially bollox'd, he helped his mate move some safes so the mate bought him a pint.  We went over later to see their new puppy, and join them for a bit.  Then bored son arrived and insisted on buying hubby lots of beer for his birthday next Friday as he won't see him that day. I finally dragged him away after 5 pints but he'd promised kc that he'd take her to the local as there's a festival on and they've got a bouncy castle so I've dropped them off but going to drag them out now.....................  Second night in a row that I shall have a pi$$ed, sleeping, snoring old pig in the house then 

26/08/2012 at 17:46

What happened to him cutting down SL?

26/08/2012 at 18:38

Sorry to hear that SL.  If it's any consolation things aren't that great here at the moment either.  19 year old son has been a real strop just lately and didn't treat the house with too much respect whilst we were away.  Got into an argument with him on Friday and he called me a b*tch and laughed in my face.  Haven't spoken since but had words again this afternoon (with hubby supporting me) and he's now walked out with a bag over his shoulder and his oyster card.  I know that he's got his keys with him and am not overly worried as he's left his apple pc and games consoles here.  I just worry so much when he goes out in a strop as he's got a temper on him and I'm scared he'll get hurt.  I thought it would get easier as he grew up but it's certainly not.  He says he's got "problems" but won't talk about them.  He lost his job but turned down 6 weeks work as it "wasn't what he wanted to be doing" - that's all very well but a job's a job.  Just as well I'm not drinking at home otherwise I too could get rat ar*ed

26/08/2012 at 19:03

Oh dear Trigger, I'm sorry but I'm inclined to tell your son to treat you with respect or leave, he's an adult after all and if he did it to anyone else he probably would get thumped.  Sometimes it takes that before they grow up and learn a lesson - sad but true.  

Cinders - I have to tell hubby every now and then that he'll be leaving if he doesn't curb his boozing, I think I'm going to have to tell him again tomorrow - he knows I mean it and will pack his bags and chuck him out.  He did say he'll go to the gp for help if he can't stop, I might have to make him - he's back up to a couple of pints and a bottle of wine every night with more at weekends   So stupid as he's a lovely bloke when he doesn't drink or just has a couple of pints.

Luckily for me hubby has retired to bed so at least I don't have to see him dribbling on the sofa ......... I 

26/08/2012 at 22:18

SL I know exactly what you're saying and agree with you.  Does that sound really awful when it's my own son?  He came back after 3 and a half hours but still hasn't said anything.

I guess we'll both be having conversations in the morning.  Hope your's goes ok.

26/08/2012 at 22:48

Hope both your conversations go ok in the morning.

Trigger, any idea what your son's problems are. Sounds like something bothering him but he can't open up. No excuse though for non respect and treating you like that.  My own brother just can't open up and my mum doesn't know what to do. 

SL, is it time for hubby to go and talk to the GP, doesn't sound like he can deal with things on his own.  What is his reason for drinking so much?

27/08/2012 at 21:43

Trigger, no it doesn't sound awful, I did say something similar to my daughter and she was only 16 at the time.  She kept going out and getting drunk or smoking weed, she was violent to her brother and threatened me, there wasn't a single door in the house that didn't have a hole in it where she'd punched it or thrown something at it.  In the end I said she had to treat us with some respect or leave, I said I'd go to the council with her and we made an appointment.  She said she'd go in on her own and I think she played the 'gay' card, she is gay but we've never had a problem with it but she had a place in the local YMCA hostal within a week!  She hasn't lived with us since but we supported her all the time and she finally got herself together a bit more about a year ago - she's 22 on Thursday!  We got along much much better once she left, it was a steep learning curve for her but she had to do it.

Cinders, I didn't need to have the talk with hubby, he knew he'd overstepped the mark and was on his best behaviour.  I got the lawn mowed, the car filled up with petrol and instead of the pub and a bottle of wine he bought a 4 pack of weak beer from Tesco so is still awake and sober! 

I don't know if I ate a dodgy apricot or something but I've had a terrible upset stomach this afternoon  Either that or it's payback time for the cooked bits I've been eating - I was doing so well today and was going to make a 'raw spaghetti with tomato sauce' for my dinner with my new spiralizer gadget 

How's everyone else been today?

Edited: 27/08/2012 at 21:48
28/08/2012 at 08:33

That must have been really tough SL.  I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.  There was no conversation yesterday.  He was up when I got back from my run but when I got out of the shower at about 11.30 he'd left the house.  I texted him about 6 to see if he was in for dinner but got a text back saying he was out with his "girlfriend" and so no.  He got home at about 12.30 a.m. this morning.  I think it's her that's at the route of the problem.  He wants it to be a girlfriend/boyfriend thing but she wants it to be just friends.  She's always messing him about - saying she'll meet up with him one time and then letting him down.  If things go well with her he seems happy if not he's stroppy, rude and unbearable.  Heaven help me.

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell - hope that you get better soon.  What's a spiralizer?

Seems like I'm doing nothing but run these days.  6 miles yesterday because I didn't run on Sunday and 5 miles later on today.  These last 3 weeks of training are definitely tough and I'm having to dig deep to stick with it.

Where's everyone else?  Summer hols perhaps?

Hope you're ok Cinders - when do you start your new job?

28/08/2012 at 08:45

Morning all

No running for me - my B12 jab is due tomorrow and I've been struggling just to stay awake 

Trigger -a spiralizer is a great gadget that makes spaghetti, noodles and spirals out of veggies, you can use any hard veggies - cucumber, carrot, beetroot etc 

http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Spiralizer-Turning-Vegetable-Slicer--SPIRALIZER.html

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=spiralizer&num=10&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbnid=9fG4tqbkPRHXsM:&imgrefurl=http://tulipskitchen.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HDA0VuaXfOs/TEL5TBgzQgI/AAAAAAAAFj4/0c5Tz7TIsQg/s1600/spiralizer%252Bfood.JPG&w=665&h=500&ei=53Y8UNiuMsSk0QXPjYH4Dg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=517&sig=112675417968552175735&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=221&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:85&tx=101&ty=111

The suns shining here, hope it is where you are x

28/08/2012 at 09:38

Morning

That's a funky bit of kit SL.  Do you cook the veggies after you've shaped them or are they raw? 

How old is your son Trigger?  Sounds like a rough time for all, hope it sorts itself out.

Starting the job of labelling all Thomas' school stuff.  Feeling a bit  about it all.

I start my new job on 17th Sept Trigger.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.