Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,361 to 29,380 of 31,557 messages
05/09/2012 at 20:45

Wahay, our own Olympic  gold medallist, well done TST  Hope it goes well at the physio tomorrow x

The eye is much better thanks, there's still a lump under it by  the tear duct  but it's much smaller and doesn't hurt any more.

Kc had a good day at school, she was so nervous last night and this morning but the day passed with no incidents at all - phew!   I found out yesterday that I can't eat watermelon - although it's pretty much water and nutrients it's really potent and can give you a super detox if you're digestion isn't too strong - just lets say I got caught very short after eating it - thankfully I was at home, I'd have been stuffed and mightily embarassed if I'd been out 

HTF & Trigger, how's school going?

Hope everyone else has had a good day today x

05/09/2012 at 21:36

Back home, pooped, will read back.....

06/09/2012 at 08:22

Morning

Yay, well done TST, *Olympic* gold   Was that through your gym?  Good luck at the physio today.

Hope HTF and Trigger got on well at school.  Thomas doesn't start till next Thursday.

How are you feeling today SL after the melon?

Had a fab time at Butlins.  Highlight for me was taking time out to use their spa facility and they had a snow cave.....a room at -16 complete with snow.  We had a snowball fight   Then it was back into the hot tub

06/09/2012 at 10:48

Blimey Cinders - Bognor's changed since I last went there .  Why would anyone want a snow cave when they could have heat 

I had a bit of a flare up yesterday after the melon, pain all day long not helped by nicking K's leftovers off her plate   At least I didn't have any more embarrasing toilet incidents   Sticking to bananas today!

06/09/2012 at 10:53

Morning!!!   I can run again!!! 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/gallery/bounce!.gif?width=350

Well, run/walk, but it means I can get out and start progressing   I still have to do my leg lift exercises every day and carry on with the others, but I can mix them about and don't have to do them every day.  I also have a load of core exercises to do, but again I don't have to do them all every day.  I have approval to do the RW old 5k plan (I don't like the new one so had to search back to find the old one from 2002!) and just need to be sensible and pay attention to what is happening with my knee and make sure my form is good.  She has discharged me so all should be well as long as I don't go silly.  Need to bear in mind that the VLM may still be a walk/run affair, I just need to see how things go and I'll get to the start line so long as I don't start increasing mileage too fast. 

That's not good about the watermelon SL   As you say, at least it was good you were at home!  Glad the eye is feeling better.

Am well jealous about your trip to the snow cave Cinders!  That'd be amazing!!

06/09/2012 at 15:59

Fantastic news TST, I bet you can' twait to get going now   Just follow some good training plans and you'll increase the mileage sensibly so less likely to get injured.

yeo
06/09/2012 at 20:11

Great news, TST!  I've been following your lottie news with great interest too.

I hope all affected by the return to school survive, whether as staff, parents, or pupils if we have any of the bottle of cider behind the bike-sheds brigade amongst our lurkers.

I'm back in the new centre tomorrow.  In theory there should be enough cafe staff, but whether or not I'm helping in there largely depends on there being anything else for me to do.  And that depends on whether our Grand Opening and open day has actually produced any client referrals.

The day went ok after all, a ribbon was cut by the Chairman, in the absence of any Stoke City players or other celebs. There were other Board members there, and I was smiling benignly at them until I remembered that them's the bastards wot have cut my pay.  Fetch your own f*cking canapes I thought.

07/09/2012 at 10:20

Quick drop in as work is mental today as I'm off again next week, going to Kent to visit my brother and meet up with an old friend I haven't seen since just after we left school! 

Managed 62.5k on my dead lift (even after lugging loads of paving slabs around beforehand) and even the instructor was impressed!  So I have now finally finished the Challenge and will be handing my card in to the lady that was organising it on Sunday.  Have taken a copy though as they are not very together at the leisure centre!  Greenhouse base going down tomorrow with the help of a mate as Mr TST is off to watch the bike racing, then greenhouse up in the afternoon.  Sunday I have a 'race'  which I will probably mostly walk, but will incorporate my first run/walk training session into I think. 

May not be on again until I get back from Kent (we go Monday and come back Thursday), so have a nice weekend one and all!

07/09/2012 at 10:27

Have a nice weekend TST, are you off somewhere nice in Kent?

Wow to the deadlift   Well done on finishing the challenge too

Must admit I laughed at your canapes comment Yeo

Got mum descending for the weekend, must get off and get organised.

Have a nice day all

07/09/2012 at 12:10

Where abouts in Kent are you going TST - Cinders and I are both in Kent but on at opposite ends.  

Good luck for Monday Yeo, must have been hard to stop yourself from telling the board members where to stuff the cananpes - I'm sure I'd have opened my gob and put my foot in it!

Oh no Cinders - have you told A&E that mum's coming on a visit 

KC's been sent home from school today - she hasn't done anything naughty but really couldn't engage, her head was in the wrong place and if she'd stayed she probably would have thumped someone.  Oh well, 2 days out of 3 isn't too bad a start.......

08/09/2012 at 10:51

Hello!  Crikey what a week that was - in a very good way.  New head is fantastic - wants me to be more involved, keeps his office door open, isn't afraid of meeting parents/pupils/neighbours all in all a complete change.  Really tiring though as he doesn't know any one at all so has to be "briefed" or shown where to go and meet them.  Still I'm sure he'll cotton on very quickly.

Party last weekend was ok but I didn't get to bed until 1.30 a.m. but still managed my 10 mile run later in the day.  Last one before GNR next weekend.  Just back from parkrun this morning and was flying until the third lap when period pain/cramps kicked in really badly.  Finished in 27.44 which is still a pb for me though!

Everyone here seems to be doing well.  Hope kc is ok - to settle in to school so well is a massive achievement for her isnt it. 

Looks like a lovely weekend ahead of us.  Have a 10k "race" tomorrow but I won't be racing just running.  I want to stay injury free and ready for next weekend

Shame to hear about the water melon I think it's one of my favourite fruits. Know what you mean about being taken short though I regularly have to take immodium before any long runs just in case

08/09/2012 at 10:55

What's your 10k trigger?  Only a week to GNR, where'd that time go?  Sounded a good and very positive start with your new Head too

Mum and chap gone out to a boot fair, they are obsessed with them.  Mr C taken little C to his new football team so enjoying some peace!  Well actually I'm taking up school trousers for Thursday! 

08/09/2012 at 22:20

Trigger glad to hear things are going well both at work and your running too 

Lol Cinders, adn don't forget to sew name tabs into everything - it will get lost and without a name tag you'll never see it again 

I've been to a fruit wholesalers in Brighton this morning - had to get up at 5.30 as it shuts at 8am   I met up with one of the girls doing the raw challenge then after we went to another girls house and she made loads of orange juice for us   Spent all afternoon digging the garden - bringing it down another level, boy that was hot out there!  Another nice one due tomorrow too, more digging and more factor 50 required 

09/09/2012 at 08:59

Morning!  Cinders the 10k is a local one - it's called the Mayors Fun run and also includes a 3k walk - it's at one of the local parks/estates here called Forty Hall.  Lovely countryside and a multi-terrain course so I'll have to watch my footing.  Looks like I'll need sunscreen out there too!

Forgot to mention yesterday that my son has an interview next Wednesday for an apprenticeship and it's in the field that he wants to train in.  Keep your fingers/toes crossed for me/him?    Things have been so much better since the flare up the other week - really not sure what got in to him - think he was just flexing his muscles and trying to prove something we already know - that he's 19 and free to come and go as he wants.  All we want is some respect.

Hope you all have fantastic weekends.  A 5.30 start is a bit too much for me Sunluvva but well done - I'm sure it was worth it if the prices you quoted a few pages back were good.  Hope you got to enjoy some of your peace and quiet Cinders? 

I plan to wallow in the sun when I get back - the ironing can wait until this evening!

09/09/2012 at 10:48

Go Trigger, hope it wasn't too hot this morning   Fingers crossed for your son's interview

Now that was an early start SL  Is the wholesaler a lot cheaper?  Guess the choice of fruit is better too.

It's certainly going to be a scorcher today

yeo
09/09/2012 at 12:20

Ditto the Go Trigger!  It sounds like good news about your new head too.

I had a lovely day yesterday. My choir sang in a concert comemmorating a tragic piece of WW11 history, but one of which Stoke people are justly proud.

To cut the story very short, in 1942 the Czech mining village of Lidice was singled out by the Nazis in reprisal for the assassination of one of their bigwigs. All the men were shot on the spot, the women and children sent to concentration camps with few survivors especially amongst the children, and the village was razed to the ground.

When news reached Stoke On Trent there started a Lidice Shall Lve campaign led by local miners who gave a week's wages as part of a fund raising effort. After the war the village was rebuilt using the money raised.

Last night's concert celebrated the 70th anniversary of the initial fund raising meeting, and it was extremely moving. There was a colliery brass band, and we sang English and Czech music. There were speeches including from the Mayor of Lidice who read a letter from the villagers to the people of Stoke on Trent.  Incredibly four survivors of the atrocity were present, and the evening ended with us singing the Czech and British national anthems.

There wasn't a dry eye in the house, and even though I'm a recent immigrant to these parts I felt immensly proud to take part.  Further details of the tragedy and local commemorations here http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/leisure-and-culture/events/lidice-shall-live-.en

10/09/2012 at 10:05

That sounds like it was a beautiful and moving concert Yeo - I'd be useless at a thing like that, I cry at the tiniest emotional thing!

Trigger, the prices for the things I got were the same as at Tonbridge market but he only did expensive bananas - I don't need a box till next week though so I'll get them at Tonbridge. The main reason for going was the green coconuts and papaaya and they didn't have any left but he said I only had to ring the day before and he'll have them next time.  The girl I met there is coming to the market with me, she's in Hastings so less than an hour away then I'll treat her to a smoothie or OJ brekkie after   Once I do get the coconuts the next problem will be getting into them without spilling all the coco water - not an easy task without a machete 

Have a good time at Legoland Cinders - just saw it on fb 

I'm not liking the weather this morning - didn't it get cold suddenly yesterday evening, oh well, autumn will come whether I want it to or not and it will be followed by winter - why can't I hibernate like a bear 

Have a lovely day everyone - I've got to do my tax return now - what joy 

10/09/2012 at 14:33

I've just treated myself to one of these   The girl who invited us for brekky on Saturday had a Magimix with a citrus juicer - I was so impressed I bid for one on ebay but missed out.  It was old but still went for over 100 quid   I had a look around to see what other high wattage food processors there were and found this - it's even higher powered than the Magimix .  It'll be sooooo good not to get cramp when I'm juicing 20 oranges 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-HR7774-90-PURE-ESSENTIALS-COLLECTION-FOOD-PROCESSOR-/280910963698?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Food_Processors_PP&hash=item41679923f2#ht_2836wt_1199

10/09/2012 at 23:40

Cripes SL, cramp when juicing, sounds a workout!

Yeo, sounds very moving.  Such an awful story

How did you get on Trigger?

Legoland was fab, little C had a blast.  That's it now, school starts on Thursday.

Can't get the tennis on, seems Sky sports have the monoply but for me it's go Djokovic

11/09/2012 at 21:45

Blimey that was quick, my foodprocessor arrived this morning, I only ordered it yesterday lunchtime   I made 2 litres of orange juice in less than 10 minutes, it was sooooo easy compared to my other one.  I'll make a banana smoothie tomorrow and see how that goes.  

Pleased to say KC's had a great day today 10 out of 10 

Hope everyone else had a good day too x

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.