Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,501 to 29,520 of 31,560 messages
29/09/2012 at 12:38

Hi all,

Thanks you two..

Think I will explain about the official secrets bit at least.

My eldest brother left home at 16 and went straight into the Merchant Navy. But when nuclear subs became part of the navy, they asked for merchant navy for voluntteers. He volunteered.

Years passed and I joined the Sea Cadets, back then you were classed as part of the navy. And seen as recruits to join when 16.

I have been on courses at Hms Excellent, spent 4 days on Hms manchester, and a week on TS Royalist a tall ship.

On Hms Manchester we handeled state of the art radar, visitors were not allowed in the but we were even as kids!!

I went up to the nuclear sub base in Scotland, where my brother was based, and i was even allowed  to sit in on a training exercise where they practised setting off a nuclear  war head missile wow what an experience.

Little did I know until one parade night. I was cycling 5 miles to my unit, I looked over my shoulder a couple of times,as you do when you come up corners or  starting off at traffic lights, low and behold the same car was either turning left or over ttaking me at traffiic lights. Not only going to my unit but also going home.

I said to my mum"I think I was followed." To my surprise, she said you have been. Apparently nuclear submarines personell direct families and security checked every four years, and followed for a week. I ended up acknowledging them after that for the rest of the week they lol at it.

Belive this or not but the above is the truth, it really happened. I decided Friday to get drunk, so that its out of the way so that I can start training properly, and cut right back on beer. I chatted with some new company, as one of them was also an x Sea Cadet. When I got home and online, I thought got to get this out of my system, but left it untold properly, hope this explains the strange post?

I still have to be careful on what I say, and I think I have not explained proceduers etc with what happens on ships etc.

I know it sounds like some adventure film for kids in the movies, but thats how it was a massive adventure and a huge amount of trust the navy placed not only with me, but my fellow cadets.

If I have anything its this. Those who  have children, get them into any of the cadet services, although not as they were when as when I was in them, they are still brilliant for learning self discipline a sense of belonging and building up skills social and others that will stay with the for life while having fun to.

Hope your all ok this weekend.

30/09/2012 at 13:40

Blimey Sinbad - when my lad went to sea cadets he spent most of his time marching or making models when it wasn't nice enough to be outside!  Hope you're feeling better and more positive today.  

Cinders, I got my number for Titsey (snigger) and for good measure I got another one too  I've emailed them to ask if I've entered twice by mistake or if they've made a mistake.  I could be 176 or 336 - who knows!  

Making the most of the not too hot and not too wet weather to work in the garden. I was going to the allotment but hubby's loaned the tools I'd want to a friend so carried on digging.  That's finally finished so now I'm going to rake it all over to make it flat and level - looks like a ploughed field at the moment, then i'll put the slabs down where I want the paths to be.  Hubby can do that next weekend - then finally I can get the grass down, it should have been done by now at the latest but so long as we don't suddenly get arctic weather it should be ok!.

Tomorrow I must go for a run - got a bit of a headache from eating fish and chips friday and lots of toast yesterday........ banana and blueberry smoothie for brekkie today, 2L of orange juice for lunch and a nice mixed leafy salad with mango and beetroot for dinner - that's the plan anyway.........

30/09/2012 at 14:56

Hi,

Yes thanks i'm feeling lot more positive, I went for an hours jog this morning.

Sorry to her that about your lad, I guess I was just lucky. I even went up the Manchester ship canal on one of the last diesel submarine.

How come you got two numbers?

Sounds like fun doing garden all weekend.

I wish I could eat as healthy as you Sunluvva, I hate salad.

Enjoy your food.Question is it me or when you cutting down on beer (not nescercary stop) that your emotions thoughts go all over the place?

30/09/2012 at 15:05

had about 12 units on Friday night at poker (more importantly came away without losing my shirt). Hungover yesterday morning, so deferred my 60 min run to today, which was tough going anyway.

30/09/2012 at 15:26
Newbie to this thread, but 4 weeks without alcohol for me today.

My target is to go another 4 weeks, when I'm going on holiday were expect I'll have a couple beers. Then, my target is to get to Xmas (I.E., get through most of the December festive season without alcohol), but accept I'll have a couple Xmas day/New Year.

The motivation for this is that I did a 10K at the end of August, and although I got a PB I felt I could do more. To improve further, I decided to restrict the booze a bit and here I am 4 weeks later. I am not planning on becoming tea total but am pleased how I've got on.

I've also joined a running club and the decision to do this also came in the aftermath of the August 10K. I have a half in the middle of October so I'll soon see if these changes are having a positive impact on the running. Another motivation is that I'm saving the money that I used to spend on beer, so come the end of October I'll have a little windfall which will help fund the holiday

I haven't found it too bad so far. The hardest bit is going to pubs with friends. In pubs though, I find the Beck's Blue passable in terms of taste. I know that Beck's Blue is 0.05% alchohol, but I'm classing that as alchohol free
30/09/2012 at 16:03

Hi Big_G

Welcome to the room. I have been coming in room for a couple of weeks now, and you can't find a nicer bunch of people (unless in other forums).

Sounds like a plan you have there, and it sounds  like its  going well. I'm only down to once  a week going out so I'm impressed. Enjoy the windfall for your holiday, good thinking there.

I haven't heard of Beck's blue before, i will keep an  eye out for that. PB are a motivation, I also find that increasing my distance each time I run helps.

I'm doing my first 10k at the Manchester MoRun. Then may be a few park runs before I do the Manchester Marthon, the end of April.

Coming in here for  me has been the best thing I have done in a long time. I'm sure you will find the same for yourself to.

Nice to meet you.

30/09/2012 at 16:18
Thanks for the welcome Sinbad.

Regarding Beck's Blue, I found that Wetherspoons stock it and I would say that it tastes better than the 'normal' Beck's, which personally I don't enjoy. I know that Beck's Blue can be considered 'cheating' due to the tiny amount of alchohol, but I only have 2-3 on a night out once or twice a week so I'm still classing it as alchohol free

I did start off by drinking Diet Coke, but that doesn't agree with me on the next morning's long run! I get fed up of orange juice and and the J20's seem OTT so I've settled on the Beck's, or lime and soda.

I did try some no-alchohol wine and to be honest it was dreadful so I've avoided that.

One thing I didn't say in my 1st post is that my wife has also knocked the wine on the head, which has really helped as well.
30/09/2012 at 17:03

Hi Big_G,

That sounds great with wife staying off it to.

My big one is that I live alone, and you can go stir crazy after a couple of days not chatting with someone.

On odd occasion I do have soft drinks, I have started just having lime and water not soda. I find it too gassy. I agree with orange juice etc, its a question of finding soft drinks you like. I will certainly try the Becks blue, and yes 0.5 is nothing.

30/09/2012 at 20:47

Welcome BigG - you're brave, I think Becks Blue is revolting - all the 'non-alcoholic' stuff has a horrible chemical taste and gives me a worse hangover than the real stuff   It'll be interesting to see if you're running improves by Christmas and also to see how you feel after a couple of drinks when you haven't had any for a while.

Glad you're feeling a better and well done on the run.  I only eat as healthily as I do because I've got Crohns Disease and if I eat too much 'normal' food I get nasty flare ups, google it if you don't know what it is, it's a bit too yuk to put in detail on here! I don't drink any soft drinks at all now, I used to have gallons of tea a day but now it's water, freshly squeezed orange juice that I do myself or water - usually 3 litres of water every day.  If I really do want a hot drink it's redbush tea or a fruity one, nothing with caffine or milk.  I still slip up regularly and eat stuff I shouldn't but I always pay for it 

ps  - when I stopped drinking booze I usually had a cup of tea or orange squash at the pub, people used to take the pi$$ at first but it soon wore off and they got used to it.

01/10/2012 at 11:55

Hi Sunluvva,

Just read a little on Crohns disease, it sounds like it may cause some problems with the lifestlye you want to lead. I feel for you...

As I have Oesphagus relfux (Barrats syndrome). I'm on full strength tablets, and its another reseon why Im wanting to stop drinking. They have found some reflux in my gulet muscle so I have to back for yet another endoscopy next year.

So I really do sympathise with you, as its hard when there's thing you want to eat and enjoy.

I hope your ok today though?

01/10/2012 at 14:28

Afternoon

Welcome BigG

Did you get your Titsey (snigger) number sorted SL?

I have reflux too sinbad, been on Omeprazole for years, seems to keep it under control!

01/10/2012 at 14:48

Hi Cinders,

wow nice to know i'm not on me own with it.

Its been ok till this  years endoscopy. I have to go again this time next september.

Do you have the endoscopy to?

01/10/2012 at 14:55

Thankfully no, the tablets keep it under control (unless I forget to take one or 2)  so I don't get asked for repeat endoscopies.  Hope yours will be ok, when do you have to have it?

01/10/2012 at 21:58

The great thing about the way I eat Sinbad is that after a few days of detox all the symptoms disappear - I only get them now when I eat cooked foods.  The way I eat will heal most illnesses, when you hear of people who've cured themselves of cancer or other nasty diseases by eating a special diet it's a mostly raw vegan diet that they're eating - when you look at all the information and evidence it's easy to see that it's actually our natural diet - nature never provided anything prepared, precooked or in a box!  http://rawschool.com/raw-food-basics/  this is a good explanation of the science behind it.  It would cure your's and Cinders reflux in weeks!

The only reason I still get problems is I keep caving in and eating the food I'm cooking for the family!

Cinders - looks like I entered twice online - must have been keen   They're going to pass it onto the people on the waiting list and get them to contact me to buy it.

I've had my first cherimoya today for years, there was a tree on the campsite I stayed on when I got to Spain but I reckon I must have tried an unripe one as it wasn't too nice.  This one was soft and creamy with a hint of something - pineapple or peach I think, very nice which is good as I bought a box full! 

01/10/2012 at 23:03

What's a chermoya SL?  Sounds nice though

What number are you keeping?

Well for my sins I'm off to bed, I signed up for a 4 week boot camp so off out at 6.30 tomorrow morning! 

02/10/2012 at 16:23

Cinders - cherimoya is also known as custard apple, always remind me of crococodiles or dinosaurs when I eat them - here's a piccy, you'll see why!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya

ps I'm keeping 176

02/10/2012 at 16:36

They look funky and sound delicious.  Were they from your Brighton food market?  Certainly wouldn't find them in a Tesco for sure!

Ok, I'll be looking out for 176   Is it just the 2 of us now? 

I'm pooped, was running round a community hall at 6.30 this morning

02/10/2012 at 16:38

Good choice I am 177!

Sorry not been around much.  Life is a drama.  Dog is still racking up a fortune.  No idea whether I did the right thing.  Did not really have a choice at the time.  Oh well, did not really want a new car.

02/10/2012 at 17:07

((( HTF ))) How is your dog doing after the surgery? 

Think I'm no. 58.

03/10/2012 at 07:51

hI all,

Sorry not been in for couple of days, I have just found out why. I downloaded yahoo messenger etc, and I have picked up a virus, even on my netbook. I will takke it to repair shopsometime this morning.

I hear you Sunluvva about diet, mine is slowly getting better. But I binge eat every so often, instead of beer. Of which I may have a few today, I missed my daily posts in here. Feels like I  have known you all for years, not weeks.

I'm sure Cinders will put me  right if I'm wrong. But with Oesophagus reflux, its not so much the beer or diet, its the natural gasses that creep up the gulet muscle. I'm sure the past 2 endoscopies have not spotted itbecause I was 15st 9lb, I'm now 13st 3lb.

Your Crohns problem, sounds much more of a pain than ours though.

I hope everyone is ok.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.