Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,521 to 29,540 of 31,656 messages
04/10/2012 at 16:55

Hi Agent ginger,

you seem to have a great social life. glad its not all running for you.

04/10/2012 at 17:05

Hi all,

And yes I do want to stop drinking all together. But its really hard for me on the run down to Christmas and New Year. My father died on New Years Eve, hes the man to tried to kill me twice.

Hope that not put people off chatting to me?

04/10/2012 at 18:42

That's a lotta cheese AG, hope it didn't give you bad dreams!  Different to cheese n wine though

Sinbad, think the place in Lanzarote you are thinking of is called Club La Santa.  Not been there but it's always looked good, maybe bit pricy.

04/10/2012 at 19:00

I will look at prices.

05/10/2012 at 08:04

Hi all,

I looked at prices alas out of my price range.

I really have to sttop drinking even on that one day.

my weight goes up, not just because of the beer, but I eat loads the next day, and I miss a run on the day  or day after to.

Its just a question of putting something else socially in place, even if it means going into a coffee shop instead.

Hope your all well.

06/10/2012 at 08:13
Morning - it seems as though I've missed quite a bit since I last posted which, to be fair, is quite a while back. It's lovely to see the thread as welcoming and supportive to people as it's always been!

Apart from booze-wise, life has been good with me. Work has been incredibly busy but very rewarding. However, for most of this year my drinking has been appalling - I would imagine it's been well over 200 units a week but I haven't been counting!

If there's some good news, today marks 3 weeks since my last drink - I've got no plans really, other than that I don't intend to have a drink today. I do, however, intend to go for a very short and slow run in a minute - just a mile or two but my first run in months (I expect my Garmin will tell me exactly how long when I switch it on!).

I look forward to chatting with you all and catching up with old friends and getting to know people I haven't yet said hello to.

I hope everyone has a good weekend x
06/10/2012 at 08:16

Hi  Apparition,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I hope your gentle run goes well.

06/10/2012 at 09:27
Hi Sinbad - nice to meet you! I'm sure I don't need to tell you what an amazing bunch the booze threaders are - if you've been here for a few weeks I know you'll be fully aware of that. Although I've tended to come and go over the years, rather than be a regular poster, I've always appreciated the friendship and support here and it's lovely to have you as part of that now!

The run was OK - 2 miles along the seafront on a beautiful sunny autumn morning. It was actually more than 10 months since my last run and it was, shamefully, my first of 2012 so I was pleased I could still run 2 miles without a break! I'd reached an all time highest weight in September but have lost nearly a stone in 3 weeks since then through not drinking and eating sensibly (with lots of smoothies and bananas, just for you SL!).

I have a day of housework ahead as I've been neglecting it for a while - my spare room/office looks like the Everest of clothes mountains!
06/10/2012 at 10:27

Morning sinbad, how are you?

Hi Apps, lovely to hear from you and that things are good.  Good running   Good luck with  your clothes mountain

Off to soft play but planning a run this pm.

*whispers......Titsey is next week peeps*

06/10/2012 at 10:37
Hi Cinders, lovely to see you. How are things working out in the new job? With the little fella and school and your new job it must be a time of many changes!

Reading back a little, it looks like Titsey is one for the girls on it should be maybe?!

I hope you play and run well today!
06/10/2012 at 11:00

Harks backs to the days when we were the pair of Trowsers perhaps, apps.  Good to see you, mate - did I see your pic at a Time To Change event a few weeks ago?

Sinbad, it can be difficult to find an alternative to boozy activities when your life used to revolve around it. I was lucky perhaps in that I was largely a lone drinker so I didn't have so much of the social pressures others have.

AG, hope you enjoy the party and don't get too hung up on how much you drink. It sounds like choosing the occasions on which you can have a bevvy is the way to go for you.

Hope everybody is enjoying a sunny day. It's quite an annoying one for me in that I don't start work till 5.30 this evening.

06/10/2012 at 12:16

Hi all,

I take it you work nights, or a late shift Yeo? I know where your coming from I used to do security work, all different shift patterns.

What is annoying to say the least from my point of view. Is that people are quick to judge, but takes forever for people to see you off the beer long term.

On the plus side I had a slight victory today, instead of doom and gloom. I saw a pedometer that I wanted, now normally, if I have the money in me pocket, I would get it, go to pub, and stay there for the footbal (Man City play at 12.45pm today). Instead I went and had a hot chocolate, did some shopping and came home. This may sound small to some, but a massive step for me.

Hope your all ok?

06/10/2012 at 13:42

That's right, Sinbad, I'm a care worker working with people in their own homes, so can be working at any time of day, and sometimes night. I'm also involved two days a week with setting up a new day centre-cum-cafe, which will be great if we ever get any clients.

No, I don't think that's a small step at all. It's very important to break damaging patterns of behaviour if you're taking changing your drinking habits seriously, so well done.

06/10/2012 at 15:35

Hi all,

Yeo Have I got it right your helping set up a day centre come cafe, is that older people?

Me Mums 81 now and she lives on her own. Keeps on changing her mind on what she wants with her time,  ar well keeps us on our toes.

Yep the above is part of my pattern of beer.

Seems to be quiet for regulars in room.

06/10/2012 at 16:47

Sinbad, the day centre will probably mainly be for adults with learning disabilities, but it depends on what referrals we get.  The cafe is already open to the general public, and is used by some of our existing clients either with or without carers. It joins onto the day centre, so we hope the clients there will use it for drinks and lunch.

On the home care side I see a whole variety of people, for example this evening I visit a man who's had a stroke and has lung cancer, an elderly chronically sick man, and a man with learning disabilities.  Tomorrow I see 2 of the above, plus an elderly gent with Aspergers. I love it!

It is quiet this afternoon, but it often is at the weekend.

06/10/2012 at 16:57

Hi all,

Yeo that must be so rewarding, but also very demanding. I don't know where you get the energy to go for a run .

Sounds like the type of job I would like to do, if I become unstuck with my psychology.

I had better let you get ready for work.

06/10/2012 at 17:00

ah, I'm sorry to say I'm currently a non-runner

yep, getting ready for work now

06/10/2012 at 17:21

Afternoon all.

Been out *helping* little C round a soft play centre and have bashed my derriere coming down the slide so no run this pm

Yeo, is the cafe running smoother than before?

Apps, yes  a time of changes here, it all seem to be settling down a bit now though

06/10/2012 at 17:50

Hi all,

Cinders that sounds painful, hope  you manage to get out for a run Sunday.

I hope the little one is ok to.

06/10/2012 at 19:11

Hi all,

How is your boot camp going Cinders?

Question. I went out twice last week, I hope not to go out all for at least ten days now (I go to my boat for 3 days Friday). I  want take my netbook as I worried and getting sea water vapour in it.

But back to question  I feel really drained, but I like to go for my run morning. Is it the adrenalin and or booze leavingn the system why I am so tired.

I am beginning to intensly hate alchohol. If Thats the righ spelling

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.