Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,541 to 29,560 of 31,441 messages
yeo
06/10/2012 at 11:00

Harks backs to the days when we were the pair of Trowsers perhaps, apps.  Good to see you, mate - did I see your pic at a Time To Change event a few weeks ago?

Sinbad, it can be difficult to find an alternative to boozy activities when your life used to revolve around it. I was lucky perhaps in that I was largely a lone drinker so I didn't have so much of the social pressures others have.

AG, hope you enjoy the party and don't get too hung up on how much you drink. It sounds like choosing the occasions on which you can have a bevvy is the way to go for you.

Hope everybody is enjoying a sunny day. It's quite an annoying one for me in that I don't start work till 5.30 this evening.

06/10/2012 at 12:16

Hi all,

I take it you work nights, or a late shift Yeo? I know where your coming from I used to do security work, all different shift patterns.

What is annoying to say the least from my point of view. Is that people are quick to judge, but takes forever for people to see you off the beer long term.

On the plus side I had a slight victory today, instead of doom and gloom. I saw a pedometer that I wanted, now normally, if I have the money in me pocket, I would get it, go to pub, and stay there for the footbal (Man City play at 12.45pm today). Instead I went and had a hot chocolate, did some shopping and came home. This may sound small to some, but a massive step for me.

Hope your all ok?

yeo
06/10/2012 at 13:42

That's right, Sinbad, I'm a care worker working with people in their own homes, so can be working at any time of day, and sometimes night. I'm also involved two days a week with setting up a new day centre-cum-cafe, which will be great if we ever get any clients.

No, I don't think that's a small step at all. It's very important to break damaging patterns of behaviour if you're taking changing your drinking habits seriously, so well done.

06/10/2012 at 15:35

Hi all,

Yeo Have I got it right your helping set up a day centre come cafe, is that older people?

Me Mums 81 now and she lives on her own. Keeps on changing her mind on what she wants with her time,  ar well keeps us on our toes.

Yep the above is part of my pattern of beer.

Seems to be quiet for regulars in room.

yeo
06/10/2012 at 16:47

Sinbad, the day centre will probably mainly be for adults with learning disabilities, but it depends on what referrals we get.  The cafe is already open to the general public, and is used by some of our existing clients either with or without carers. It joins onto the day centre, so we hope the clients there will use it for drinks and lunch.

On the home care side I see a whole variety of people, for example this evening I visit a man who's had a stroke and has lung cancer, an elderly chronically sick man, and a man with learning disabilities.  Tomorrow I see 2 of the above, plus an elderly gent with Aspergers. I love it!

It is quiet this afternoon, but it often is at the weekend.

06/10/2012 at 16:57

Hi all,

Yeo that must be so rewarding, but also very demanding. I don't know where you get the energy to go for a run .

Sounds like the type of job I would like to do, if I become unstuck with my psychology.

I had better let you get ready for work.

yeo
06/10/2012 at 17:00

ah, I'm sorry to say I'm currently a non-runner

yep, getting ready for work now

06/10/2012 at 17:21

Afternoon all.

Been out *helping* little C round a soft play centre and have bashed my derriere coming down the slide so no run this pm

Yeo, is the cafe running smoother than before?

Apps, yes  a time of changes here, it all seem to be settling down a bit now though

06/10/2012 at 17:50

Hi all,

Cinders that sounds painful, hope  you manage to get out for a run Sunday.

I hope the little one is ok to.

06/10/2012 at 19:11

Hi all,

How is your boot camp going Cinders?

Question. I went out twice last week, I hope not to go out all for at least ten days now (I go to my boat for 3 days Friday). I  want take my netbook as I worried and getting sea water vapour in it.

But back to question  I feel really drained, but I like to go for my run morning. Is it the adrenalin and or booze leavingn the system why I am so tired.

I am beginning to intensly hate alchohol. If Thats the righ spelling

06/10/2012 at 21:31

It's going good thanks sinbad, got 3 more weeks.  Although I'm not normally an early morning person I'm finding I'm enjoying getting up and out for exercise.

Are you taking your boat out or just staying on it moored up?

Not sure about your drained feeling, are you coming down with anything?  Are you sleeping ok?

06/10/2012 at 22:40

Evening all

Lovely to hear from you Apps - good to hear you're back on the smoothies-running-weight loss etc.groove.   Well done on the run, 2 miles is 2 more than I've run in about a month 

Sinad - that was a massive step you chose to make by going home instead of going to the pub - you should be feeling really proud of yourself.  There's been a rotten bug going round here which has made us all feel totally whacked out and exhausted - the others were poorly with it , I've been ok but totally drained/fatigued.  Maybe it's just a version  of that knd of bug.

Yeo - what's happened to the group scrabble game - it's disappeared, shall I start another one?

I've been down to Saltdean nr. Brighton to a mates today, we did a 'raw chocolate' workshop.  I'm not really into chocolate raw or conventional but I went to keep my friend company and just for a day out.  It was ok but I wasn't really impressed but them I'm the only woman I know who doesn't go all weak at the knees at the thought of a bar of chocolate!

My friend's got two boys ages 6 & 8 yrs and KC came too so after the choocy thing we all had lunch at my friend's then went for a walk and play on the beach which meant we came home with bits of crab claws in the car - phew stinky!  I must go for a run tomorrow,  I've got to make some effort - the race is next week for gawds sake!!!!!!!  I've just been so knackered this week - today was the first morning I've woken up and felt like I didnt' need to go back to sleep 

07/10/2012 at 08:37
Morning,

Hi Sunluvva - from a quick read back it seems like KC is still keeping you busy and I'm sure you'll continue to need the energy from your raw diet to keep things ticking over. You've all done an amazing job with her though - it would be so easy to admit that things can be too hard. So many people do and, without it being their fault, add to the displacement and attachment problems that a child experiences. I couldn't be more full of admiration. Were the crab claws stinking out the lovely new car or have you not got that yet?

sinbad - I second what the others have said about it being a victory to have a hot choc and go home, rather than submit to the pub and football. Those habits and associations are so hard to break. I was at football yesterday and it feels very different without a couple of beers before, a pie and pint at halftime and a couple after - I managed it again yesterday but it still feels unnatural.

yeo - work sounds like a real mixed bag for you right now - the cafe venture sounds like it could give a different feel to some of your work and I hope it comes good. I've seen quite a few attempts at setting up community cafes not quite work as it's really hard to strike the right balance between getting the people you want using it and making money. Your 'pair of Trowsers' comment made me chuckle - such a lovely place to run! You probably did see me in a pic at a TTC event - helping with their national community engagement programme has been a big part of my work for the last 6 months.

Right, got to get the housework finished so me and mrs apps can enjoy this beautiful day - sunny autumn days are my very favourite of the year but it's the shortest season so we need to maximise it. A little bit of outdoor activity is needed, followed by curling up with a film and some hot chocolate!

Have a good day everyone!
07/10/2012 at 09:27

Hi all,

Thanks for that about coffee shop etc. I know exactly what you mean Apparition. Although I don't normally go to the matches (too expensive) but a few beers then off home for fish and chips.

Cinders I only really stay on her moored up, she's my first boat, so I'm relearning boat maintanence fro scratch, and trusting the wrong people who offer to help. But this season, so far I have ripped out all the old deck, laid the new deck, I have some of the marine plywood for the beds and have nearly fitted the new cockpit (where you stand to sail the boat with the rudder) lockers. I have also half fitted the bilge pump, thats been sitting there for 6 months now when a so called friend would sort out the electrics and hasn't, hes been mates rates money and uses the weather and his own boat as an excuse. But I have said this inside the boat not outside. So I will have a try at it myself.

People some advice please. I gave myself a shock on my run this  morning, I used my new pedometre this morning, and I'm only doing 3.5KM in 53 minutes. The Manchester MoRun 10km is on 24th November, any advice on how to increase distance?

Glad to hear your enjoying boot camp Cinders

07/10/2012 at 11:06
Went out for a friends 40th last night, had a glass of champagne and a few bottles of beer, I think about 9 units in total. Had a decent sleep though and I'd already decided to have a rest today so should be fine for a run tomorrow. Quite pleased with myself that I didn't overdo it
07/10/2012 at 11:22

Hi AgentGinger,

Keep at it, and you will get there. Glad you are happy with what beer, Champagne you had.

07/10/2012 at 12:24

Afternoon all

Enjoy your day Apps and the hot choc and film.

Good luck with your boat sinbad.  We briefly had a Bayliner about 4 years ago but sadly the boat and a nine month old didn't really mix so we sold it!

Well done AG

SL, what is raw chocolate compared to normal chocolate? Mind is boggling over that one.  I do like a bit of choc but I like the Hotel Chocolat type so don't eat it very often!

Edited.  Should add we sold the boat, not little C

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 12:27
07/10/2012 at 12:49

Hi all,

LOL with Cinders.

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled with that one to. Chocalate that is.

07/10/2012 at 20:43

Lol Cinders, I'd love a boat but probably be too tempted to chuck hubby overboard

Raw chocoalte explained:- http://www.builtlean.com/2012/04/12/raw-chocolate/

Basically nothing is heated to the point of destroying nutrients, no dairy is used, only natural sugars like coconut palm sugar/agave/stevia etc.  Personally I think it's a load of old rubbish - it's still high fat and processed etc but I went as my friend didn't have anyone else to go with.  The ones we made tasted like bitter cocoa powder!  I'd rather have 1/4 of american hard gums myself 

Good news - I've done a 5 mile run this morning - more a ramble with faster bits at times but nice non the less.  I went through the woods and orchards, got lost on purpose to see where some footpaths I haven't explored went to and was practically bog snorking at one point - the ground in the woods was wet and mossy, lovely like running on a springy cushion then  suddenly it was a bog and I was trying no to lose my shoes!

Even Better News - Today was day 4 not smoking , doing it cold turkey and doing ok

Thanks Apps, kind words as always x  and yes, the new car stunk of stale crab claws 

Sounds like you're in control of how much you want to drink AG, it's so easy to let it take over once you've had a few.

Cinders, HTF, ST if you're lurking - it is next Sunday isn't it................

07/10/2012 at 21:31

*whispers............yes it is next Sunday*  Eeeeek.  Is ST running too?

Well done on the 5 miles though   Think I'll have to just amble round next week lol.

And also well done you, 4 days, keep it up SL, that's fab

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.