Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,561 to 29,580 of 31,655 messages
08/10/2012 at 20:53

Just a quick post from me.  Have read back a little way but not all I'm afraid.  Managed to get my pb yesterday at Royal Parks Half Marathon.  Finished in 2.10.21 which is 6 minutes faster than GNR 3 weeks ago and 5 minutes faster than my previous pb - was a very happy bunny!  Celebrated by sharing a bottle of champagne with my hubby.  Six months since I last got hammered.  Would like to think that I've found the right balance for me.

Keep persevering Sinbad and Agent Ginger things can only get better.

Well done on giving up the ciggies SL.  It's been 25 years since I last had a cigarette 

How's the Titsey training coming along?  I've got a couple of weeks before my next race - it's a 10K on 21 October so will probably rest up until parkrun on Saturday.  Good luck everyone

08/10/2012 at 21:11

hi all,

trigger 2 thats an amazing time. One i can only dreaam of. The champagne was well deserved.

08/10/2012 at 21:49

Yep, well done trigger, fab time

08/10/2012 at 22:52

Hi all,

Thank you to Cinders and trigger2

Hope you all sleep well.

09/10/2012 at 12:14

Way to go Trigger, great time and well deserved fizz - and the smiley should be a  for not smoking for 25yrs .  If I hadn't started again after stopping for 13 years I'd be saying I haven't smoked since 1982.  I started again in 1995, surprise surprise it was when hubby's drinking first got way out of hand although it had been getting worse since 1990 when our daughter was born  and he couldn't really cope - fancy that - he was the one with 'post natal depression' leaving me to cope with a baby, a toddler and him - why the f**k am I still putting up with it 

Sinbad - keep remembering all the great things you've achieved,  you've survived for a start and you're alive now - don't underestimate how important that is.  You've got a degree and you're still striving to better yourself, you might not have success in finding or keeping jobs but at least you' ve got off your ass and tried - scroungers don't do that..  Don't worry about what other people say or do - there's nothing you can do about what other people think so no point in letting them upset you, they're not important, Concentrate on getting yourself in a better place so you can achieve more of what you want - ignore the rest.

Training for Titsey is underway although I may be infringing trade descriptions by calling it training.  I did the 5 miles Sunday and 2 miles nice and early  yesterday with the doggies.  I'm going to running club tonight and thursday and will have another plod friday.  Saturday will be a 'rest day' - I think I'll need it by then  Sunday is race day and I'm looking forward to it.  I'll email ST to see if there's somewhere obvious we can meet.  We should be able to spot each other even though I haven't seen Cinders in person since before Thomas was born.  I've never met ST in the flesh but she's been snapped by the papperazi so many times recent'y I'm sure I'll recognise her!

Have a great day everyone x

09/10/2012 at 14:58

Wow, that must be 5 years now then SL, I was about 4 or 5 months preggars I think.  Not met HTF or ST so looking forward to it all

Good running SL.

2 miles on the treddie just now.  Titsey could be fun

09/10/2012 at 22:22

Evening all - club run earlier tonight - it's too dark for off road and there aren't lot's of lit up streets in Paddock Wood so tonight was circuit intervals - run about a mile to start of circuit,  4 mins as fast as you can with 2 mins recovery, do that 5 times then back the long way round.  I'm very pleased to say that after 6 days off the fags I was able to keep up with the ladies towards the back instead of lagging behind them all    I shall have tomorrow off, go to club again Thursday, have another stagger friday then rest till Sunday........... Titsey here we come 

09/10/2012 at 23:23

Great going SL, you keep up off the fags   We'll be following you at Titsey

10/10/2012 at 16:49

Hi all,

Thanks for the support.

I'm very hung over today. I had over ten pints, not sure how i got home.

What sent me on a downer is that they want to cut another 10 billion on welfare.

I already know I'm going to have to pay some rent and council tax.

And I'm still waiting for the decision to see if I have to go for the Atos assessment.

The news of more cuts got to me.

Paying for the price now though

Hope to back to a normal service soon.

Hope your all ok?

Sunluvva I think you stay with your husband as you still loe him, hope I'm not out of place.

10/10/2012 at 17:24

well done for staying off the fags sunluvva.

don't fret too much about things you can't change Sinbad, just deal with what you can. i know that's vague, armchair philosophy bull$hit, but it's useful to remember if you're prone to anxiety.

10/10/2012 at 18:23

Hi,

no you make sense.

11/10/2012 at 20:27

Evening all, quiet today.

How are you sinbad?

Well after last night's shenanigans with the swimming lesson I've now written to the co-ordinator!

11/10/2012 at 22:37

That must have been terrifying to see Cinders, is he ok today?  KC's lesson went well thankfully!

Just been out for a 4 mile run tonight, couldn't get out till 8.30 so my first really dark misty damp drizzly (plus a downpour) run since spring.  

It has been quiet on here today hasn't it - maybe we've all been training really hard for our weekend races 

12/10/2012 at 07:05

I was out white water rafting!

12/10/2012 at 08:06

Morning, it's Friiiday!

Wow, that sounds fun trigger

Well done SL, you'll be romping round on Sunday!  I've boot camped, that's all.

It was horrible to watch.  I spent 10 years lifeguarding and just wanted to leap over the balcony and fish him out myself.  It was only seconds but felt the instructor left him too long before she sent the lifeguard in. 

12/10/2012 at 09:34

Morning all,

Cinders tried looking back over the last day or so, to try and figure out what happened with lifeguard, but been unsuccessful. Could you fill in the gaps please.

Yes I'm a lot better mentally thanks, but I think I have come down with this bug since going out Tuesday. I though I was ok, so I gave it a couple of days, but still have  the hot aand cold shakes, tiredness, and feeling a little sick in the stomach, its ruinning training.

Trigger that sounds really exciting tell me more, white water rafting.

12/10/2012 at 11:37

i'd quite like to give white water rafting a go, but i'm a poor swimmer (was at the pool again on wednesday night trying to improve to be less of poor swimmer - takes time like anything else to be any good).

Off to a concert tonight, probably have a couple of beers, but I'm doing my first parkrun tomorrow, so don't want a hangover. plus i've offered to give my gf a lift into work, so i'll be up just after 6 with her. Looking forward to a nap in the afternoon (guilty pleasures)

12/10/2012 at 14:21

Keep at the swimmng AG   Good luck with the parkrun too.

Can you see a Dr about the shaking sinbad?

And..... I took my little boy (who's 4) to his swimming lesson on Weds, this is the 2nd week in a new class and he can't quite touch the bottom of the deep bit of the teaching pool.  He pushed off from the wall and started panicking and going under, instructor threw him a float but he couldn't get it so the lifeguard had to get in the pool and get him out.  By the time I got down and onto poolside the poor fella was totally distraught. 

12/10/2012 at 14:24

oh dear, not a great introduction to swimming for the little guy. hopefully it won't scare him off going along again. I had a bad experience when i was about 4 on holiday in spain. had to be dragged out too, the main reason i have always been so anxious around water. the sooner he moves past this episode the better.

12/10/2012 at 15:54

ow er

Cinders that must have been really scary for all concerned. I agree with AG he does need to get over this quickly.

AG the more you will try with swimming to some extent the esaier it gets for some people.

I honestly don't know. I think the beer once a week does not help with the shaking. I think I'm just going to hopefully find a way round it.

One think I might add is,  that after something like this happens I have found that talking really helps. So perhaps talk with your son, as much or as often as he wants. And or not force him, but encourage him to talk. After a scare like he has had its so easy to keep it locked away.

Glad he's ok though

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.