Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,701 to 29,720 of 31,386 messages
31/10/2012 at 08:59

Morning

Lol SL, saw our first Christmas lights in a house yesterday

Would like too see a copy of that schedule if poss.

31/10/2012 at 09:12

Physio rang this morning - has had a cancellation tonight so will take my broomstick along there and drop in! 

31/10/2012 at 09:56

Great news trigger, take care on the broomstick, could be busy tonight :-

31/10/2012 at 11:04

I haven't even bought my sweets yet for the trick n treaters so could be in real trouble!

31/10/2012 at 11:37

Lol, we've just sorted some sweets out but think little C wants to keep them all!  Pumpkin is carved and ready too

31/10/2012 at 11:50

trigger, hope they help sort out your knee soon.

cinders, i do have some pics from the party, but ended up going as Hannibal Lecter instead of in my skeleton morph suit (the ball hugger) so oddly less appealing to post

went out for a few beers with some old mates last night. we're doing the worlds slowest monopoly pub crawl, basically just doing one set of colours at a time, as we're all a bit old to be racing around london or drinking 20+ pints in one session, so last night did the pinks (pall mall, whitehall, northumberland). Some nice pubs round that part of town actually, not somewhere i know very well.

feel a bit rough this morning, but will probably be ok come 6pm for my run home.

going to a haloween themed pub quiz tonight (don't know what makes it haloween themed, questions about the occult?) but i'll probably stick to the pop, as i don't fancy another stinking head tomorrow morning.

31/10/2012 at 14:36

Why don't people understand that there are 12 days of Christmas, they start  Christmas day (possibly Xmas Eve) and finish on 6th Jan when the Magi arrived with their gifts.  I fail to see how anyone can think putting up decorations on 31st October has anything to do with Christmas - SL walks away shaking head  in disbelieving Victor Meldrew 'I don't believe it' fashion 

I'll mail you the schedule Cinders - it's just got the Tuesday and Thursday sessions on it - you have to work out the rest of the week yourself.  Hope you and buttons have fun tonight 

One day AG you'll have a monster hangover and just decide you ain't gonna do it any more.......  Where about's in London are you, I'm from the S. E originally but like in Kent now.

Hope the physio is good Trigger - I haven't bought any sweets either, we haven't had any kids round the 2 previous years since we moved here and I ended up eating all the sweets myself  

I'm sure I've forgotten some people but can't remember what's over the page so sorry if you think I'm ignoring you.

31/10/2012 at 15:28

Just been round the local co-op and they are ripping their bat stickers off the window and xmas bauble stickers going on.  They couldn't even wait till at least tomorrow. 

We ran out of sweets last year or maybe we are just misers lol!  It's not my thing but I'd rather be indoors with Thomas handing out sweets than going door to door.

31/10/2012 at 15:34

Cinders - see my fb post shared from the Daily Mash.....................

31/10/2012 at 16:00

Lol, that's funny.  The actual bit about going door to door has been around for years, called *souling* I think but America has done the commercial sweetie thing hasn't it?  Bit like what Coca Cola did to Father Christmas!

31/10/2012 at 16:54

Hello everyone   Just dibbing in really, sulking a bit this week (yes,dispite my presentation on Monday) as it really screws me up when the clocks go back.  Funny I never have a problem when they go forward, but when they go back it just affects me badly for a week or so   Also we now have to elevate the grievance at Mr TST's work to a formal written one so stress levels are not good because of that either.  Have had a chocolate binge and been thinking a lot about drinking today; not specifically about having one but it gets right in my head when things are like this and it's hard to shake it out again.  Am also wondering if it's playing with my head because it'll be a year next week since I quit; makes you think about how things have changed and I'm not sure if that stirs subliminal thoughts up.  Guess this could be the last milestone that really does stuff like that as, although reaching two years etc will be an achievement, I don't think any anniversary is going to have as much of an impact as this first one. 

Can't believe someone's got their Christmas lights up in there house already, that's just wrong! 

01/11/2012 at 04:30

Hi All,

Sorry I not been in Wednesday, I been out celebrating Halloween in the pub all day. I knew it was coming, but wanted to get it out of my system. Why.

Well its my neices anniverssary Halloween, I got so drunk that day, so it seemed fitting with that day to this I start my non drinking challenge.

Two_Stroke Tart. Don't have a beer, your doing great. If you want to sound off or even have a chocolate binge go ahead and do it here.

You all listened to me, now I would like to be as supportive to you and others in here as best I can.

Your so close to reaching your mile stone. I want to see what a thread party is like to, so don''t give in  .

Its so early and i'm nurse maiding a big hangover. Believe it or not TST you do not want to go back there. I'm hoping I have set myself a goal date now to work on.

My tv is playing up on me, I'm trying to watch Evette Fieldings Most Haunted.

01/11/2012 at 10:12

Morning everyone   Oh, I won't have a drink Sinbad!   For starters, I can't have one as I'm a binger and one of the reasons I had to quit in the first place was because things were so bad it was likely I wouldn't wake up one morning.  If I have a drink now then I'll put away as much as I used to and my system won't be able to handle it and Mr TST would be waking up next to a dead body   It doesn't mean I don't want one though, and that's a battle I face most days on some level or another, but you just learn to live with it.  Or at least I have done, everyone finds their own way of coping.  Baby steps are the best way I've found, just get yourself through that day.  Yesterday has gone so you can't worry about that, and tomorrow is a different day entirely so no point in worrying about that either.  Just get through things one day at a time and you'll get there.

We've not had a thread party since I've been here, so no idea what it will be like!  Apart from cake, but I shall try and only have a little bit as I'm not supposed to have it really

Reckon the tv is trying to tell you something?!

01/11/2012 at 15:11

Hi All,

Lol with TST about my tv. I think its slowly popping its clogs on me.

Well I'm impressed with your determination in not binge drinking.

I must admit, I'm a binge drinker myself. I shouldn't drink either as I'm on anti-depressents. I so do want to stop drinking. These new tablets I'm on are recently new, and they don't hold to any messing around, how can I best explain it.

Most antidepressents slow your mind down. These are the opposite, they allow you to think clearly, so I'm getting panic attacks, shaking and stuturring my words. So I have set mysel a challenge of a year with no beer as of last night. Your determination has inpsired me to try harder. Just got to put myself to that task now.

By the way, I used my Garmin today, it's awesome. I have downloaded my first walk (it was a walk with a massive hangover ). I'm overwhelmed with the technology, the details that I got on my netbook well , I think that says it all.

Hope everyone is okay.

01/11/2012 at 18:14

Garmins are brilliant Sinbad!  Hope you enjoy using it.

No running for me.  Haven't damaged any tendons, ligaments or anything but there is a muscle strain of some type.  No running for me this week.  Have been advised to cross train and see how it goes.  Have had to cancel a running workshop that I was going to in Reading next weekend so am gutted about that.  Never mind, hopefully not too long before I'm out there again.

Well done on the not drinking - not so easy at times

01/11/2012 at 18:40

Hi All

Sorry to here that Trigger2. Lets hope it heals quickly.

Been out with it today. A couldn't understand why it was taking me so long on a route,an 1 hour + for 2.6 miles. I did same walk today hangover. But with garmin the same course works out at 4.26 miles in an hour and twenty mins.

I'm going to try and jog and walk 10k Friday.

I'm looking for a garmin gps marine chart navigation plotter. I think I have found one for abut £230. Its on  my wish list.

Hope all okay.

02/11/2012 at 11:44

Thankfully no hangover on Thursday morning. Only 2 pints at the quiz, so got a decent sleep and felt ok for my 5mi slow jog to work.

Sunluvva, I live in Clapham at the moment. Makes it quite easy to fit a run in with my commute, as i work in central london.

I was invited out tonight with some mates, but I'm a bit tired, and I want to do my second parkrun tomorrow morning, so i'm going to have an early night instead. Plus the missus is up just after 6am for work, and i've said i'll give her a lift in.

02/11/2012 at 12:15

Hi All,

AgentGinger its showing your getting stronger, by not going out Friday, and doing parkrun and giving the mrs a lift into work. I'm impressed.

I did my 10k this morning. 1hour 48 minutes. pretty poor time, but Its pretty steep where I live, and i was battling 16mph winds. I also walked back, after walking jogging to see if there's any difference. there is.

My Garmin and online statistics show there is. I can work on that now.

Hope your  all okay.

02/11/2012 at 14:00

Hi everyone hope you're all enjoying the sunshine today 

Sorry to hear about the ouchy muscle Trigger, lots of rest and frozen peas for you 

Good to hear no hangover this morning for you AG   

Good luck with your personal challenge Sinbad - you'll soon find your times get quicker.  If I were you I'd go back to a basic beginners walk/run training plan which will help you increase speed and endurance.    Once you've sussed out the garmin you'll be able to use it to help you speed up - especially if you've go one with a virtual partner on it.

I went to club run and did my double peak 3/6/3/6/3 interval run, it was run flat out for either 3 or 6 mins with a 3 min recovery jog in between - it was knackering but good and I genuinely wasn't last, I was towards the back of the group but not last  I've had my garmin for over 5 years now but found out how to set it for intervals for the first time last night.  I told the bloke who showed me how to do it that I'd be back next week on my next lesson 

Did you get the schedule Cinders?

02/11/2012 at 14:24

Hi All,

Glad the training went well Sunluvva.

Intervals are a good plan, and I'm working on them. 2min jog 1 min walk. That will be built upon, and will try and do the full 10k Saturday on that basis, except where the hills beat me . I will see how that goes for a week, then think about increasing the time. Unless the weather beats me, forecast for my neck of the woods is rain all day Saturday , so watch this space.

Completely different topic. Does anyone have an ereader? I'm hoping to buy one Tuesday. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope your all okay.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.