Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,701 to 29,720 of 31,656 messages
31/10/2012 at 16:54

Hello everyone   Just dibbing in really, sulking a bit this week (yes,dispite my presentation on Monday) as it really screws me up when the clocks go back.  Funny I never have a problem when they go forward, but when they go back it just affects me badly for a week or so   Also we now have to elevate the grievance at Mr TST's work to a formal written one so stress levels are not good because of that either.  Have had a chocolate binge and been thinking a lot about drinking today; not specifically about having one but it gets right in my head when things are like this and it's hard to shake it out again.  Am also wondering if it's playing with my head because it'll be a year next week since I quit; makes you think about how things have changed and I'm not sure if that stirs subliminal thoughts up.  Guess this could be the last milestone that really does stuff like that as, although reaching two years etc will be an achievement, I don't think any anniversary is going to have as much of an impact as this first one. 

Can't believe someone's got their Christmas lights up in there house already, that's just wrong! 

01/11/2012 at 04:30

Hi All,

Sorry I not been in Wednesday, I been out celebrating Halloween in the pub all day. I knew it was coming, but wanted to get it out of my system. Why.

Well its my neices anniverssary Halloween, I got so drunk that day, so it seemed fitting with that day to this I start my non drinking challenge.

Two_Stroke Tart. Don't have a beer, your doing great. If you want to sound off or even have a chocolate binge go ahead and do it here.

You all listened to me, now I would like to be as supportive to you and others in here as best I can.

Your so close to reaching your mile stone. I want to see what a thread party is like to, so don''t give in  .

Its so early and i'm nurse maiding a big hangover. Believe it or not TST you do not want to go back there. I'm hoping I have set myself a goal date now to work on.

My tv is playing up on me, I'm trying to watch Evette Fieldings Most Haunted.

01/11/2012 at 10:12

Morning everyone   Oh, I won't have a drink Sinbad!   For starters, I can't have one as I'm a binger and one of the reasons I had to quit in the first place was because things were so bad it was likely I wouldn't wake up one morning.  If I have a drink now then I'll put away as much as I used to and my system won't be able to handle it and Mr TST would be waking up next to a dead body   It doesn't mean I don't want one though, and that's a battle I face most days on some level or another, but you just learn to live with it.  Or at least I have done, everyone finds their own way of coping.  Baby steps are the best way I've found, just get yourself through that day.  Yesterday has gone so you can't worry about that, and tomorrow is a different day entirely so no point in worrying about that either.  Just get through things one day at a time and you'll get there.

We've not had a thread party since I've been here, so no idea what it will be like!  Apart from cake, but I shall try and only have a little bit as I'm not supposed to have it really

Reckon the tv is trying to tell you something?!

01/11/2012 at 15:11

Hi All,

Lol with TST about my tv. I think its slowly popping its clogs on me.

Well I'm impressed with your determination in not binge drinking.

I must admit, I'm a binge drinker myself. I shouldn't drink either as I'm on anti-depressents. I so do want to stop drinking. These new tablets I'm on are recently new, and they don't hold to any messing around, how can I best explain it.

Most antidepressents slow your mind down. These are the opposite, they allow you to think clearly, so I'm getting panic attacks, shaking and stuturring my words. So I have set mysel a challenge of a year with no beer as of last night. Your determination has inpsired me to try harder. Just got to put myself to that task now.

By the way, I used my Garmin today, it's awesome. I have downloaded my first walk (it was a walk with a massive hangover ). I'm overwhelmed with the technology, the details that I got on my netbook well , I think that says it all.

Hope everyone is okay.

01/11/2012 at 18:14

Garmins are brilliant Sinbad!  Hope you enjoy using it.

No running for me.  Haven't damaged any tendons, ligaments or anything but there is a muscle strain of some type.  No running for me this week.  Have been advised to cross train and see how it goes.  Have had to cancel a running workshop that I was going to in Reading next weekend so am gutted about that.  Never mind, hopefully not too long before I'm out there again.

Well done on the not drinking - not so easy at times

01/11/2012 at 18:40

Hi All

Sorry to here that Trigger2. Lets hope it heals quickly.

Been out with it today. A couldn't understand why it was taking me so long on a route,an 1 hour + for 2.6 miles. I did same walk today hangover. But with garmin the same course works out at 4.26 miles in an hour and twenty mins.

I'm going to try and jog and walk 10k Friday.

I'm looking for a garmin gps marine chart navigation plotter. I think I have found one for abut £230. Its on  my wish list.

Hope all okay.

02/11/2012 at 11:44

Thankfully no hangover on Thursday morning. Only 2 pints at the quiz, so got a decent sleep and felt ok for my 5mi slow jog to work.

Sunluvva, I live in Clapham at the moment. Makes it quite easy to fit a run in with my commute, as i work in central london.

I was invited out tonight with some mates, but I'm a bit tired, and I want to do my second parkrun tomorrow morning, so i'm going to have an early night instead. Plus the missus is up just after 6am for work, and i've said i'll give her a lift in.

02/11/2012 at 12:15

Hi All,

AgentGinger its showing your getting stronger, by not going out Friday, and doing parkrun and giving the mrs a lift into work. I'm impressed.

I did my 10k this morning. 1hour 48 minutes. pretty poor time, but Its pretty steep where I live, and i was battling 16mph winds. I also walked back, after walking jogging to see if there's any difference. there is.

My Garmin and online statistics show there is. I can work on that now.

Hope your  all okay.

02/11/2012 at 14:00

Hi everyone hope you're all enjoying the sunshine today 

Sorry to hear about the ouchy muscle Trigger, lots of rest and frozen peas for you 

Good to hear no hangover this morning for you AG   

Good luck with your personal challenge Sinbad - you'll soon find your times get quicker.  If I were you I'd go back to a basic beginners walk/run training plan which will help you increase speed and endurance.    Once you've sussed out the garmin you'll be able to use it to help you speed up - especially if you've go one with a virtual partner on it.

I went to club run and did my double peak 3/6/3/6/3 interval run, it was run flat out for either 3 or 6 mins with a 3 min recovery jog in between - it was knackering but good and I genuinely wasn't last, I was towards the back of the group but not last  I've had my garmin for over 5 years now but found out how to set it for intervals for the first time last night.  I told the bloke who showed me how to do it that I'd be back next week on my next lesson 

Did you get the schedule Cinders?

02/11/2012 at 14:24

Hi All,

Glad the training went well Sunluvva.

Intervals are a good plan, and I'm working on them. 2min jog 1 min walk. That will be built upon, and will try and do the full 10k Saturday on that basis, except where the hills beat me . I will see how that goes for a week, then think about increasing the time. Unless the weather beats me, forecast for my neck of the woods is rain all day Saturday , so watch this space.

Completely different topic. Does anyone have an ereader? I'm hoping to buy one Tuesday. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope your all okay.

02/11/2012 at 16:07
Thanks SL. Did get it. Currently on the way to my mum's so have saved it to look at when back.

Do you mean something like a Kindle sinbad?
02/11/2012 at 16:23

Hi All,

Yes Cinders. No idea which one to buy. I have been looking at the different Kindle.

02/11/2012 at 17:54

I'm a traditionalist Sinbad - I prefer real books 

Don't try to increase the distance you run until you can manage to run a whole 10k without walking. You really should go back to a 5k plan (google couch to 5k) and stick with that until you can run 5k without walking.  Once you've mastered that then go up to 10k and do the same thing until you can run the whole 10k.

02/11/2012 at 18:13

I'm with real books too Sunluvva - have over 200 to read stashed all over the place in the house.  With some women it's shoes - with me it's books.  There's something about the smell of a new book

Am being really good and not "testing" my knee every hour to see if it's fixed itself!

Still extremely jealous of anyone out there running.  Back to work on Monday and running in the dark when I can .

Take care not to try and do too much too soon Sinbad or else you'll end up on the subs bench with me

Good luck for parkrun tomorrow Agent Ginger - I'm up to 72 runs!

02/11/2012 at 18:16
I've got a kindle app on my phone but don't like or use it. Also prefer real books and mags.

Good luck tomorrow AG
02/11/2012 at 18:21

Hi All,

yes I prefer real books to. I have £2,000 worth on just psychology. It's mainly for when I trravel etc and when I want to watch a fiilm.

I'm hear you. I have the 10k movember run in Manchester on the 24th. I'm comfortble jogging and walking it, so I will see how the next 3 weeks go. I hear you to trigger2.

You will be back on the rd soon trigger2.

Hope all okay.

05/11/2012 at 09:16

Hi All,

Is it something I posted? It's very quiet.

05/11/2012 at 13:30

Afternoon eveyone   lol Sinbad, it's not anything you've posted, it just goes quiet sometimes when people are busy!

Got to admit, I'm with eveyone else on having real books.  I just lug paperbacks around with me when travelling!  Hope the knee is healing Trigger.  Well done on the interval session SL, sounds like a killer!!  How was the park run AG? 

Well the weather at the weekend put the knockers on doing anything over the lottie, and has got me pondering getting a small poly tunnel that I can set up so I can dig over there when it's rainy but stay dry.    Would only need a small one as I could dig inside it and then move it onto the next section.  It would also come in useful in spring for planting stuff directly outside and keeping it protected from the frost.  Seen some on ebay for about £50 so now need to consult with Mr TST to see if we can afford the investment at the moment.  On the upside of the bad weather I got a whole load of stuff done in the house and sold a load of stuff on line so that's a few more quid in the holiday fund for after London   Still got a lot more to sell - can't believe some of the crap I bought when drunk - but the house is starting to look much nicer without all the tat lying around and I think selling it all is a bit like getting rid of some bad stuff from the past so it's quite cathartic in a way. 

05/11/2012 at 14:55

Hi All,

just me being a bit paranoid I guess TST .

Glad to hear things going well on ebay and home. Yes we all seem to  collect a load of rubbish in the home. Believe it or not, I blitzed all my clothes (typical male with washing machine), and I have found about a dozen odd pair of socks. Do you think they coud be worth something on ebay .

I did another 5k this morning things are getting a little quicker, but I have noticed that although odd k's are getting quicker that dam hill is killing me , it rises 220 ft in about 200m, it says so on Garmin Connect.

Will see what happens when I do my one 10k a week on Wednesday, if I manage a run then. As its the the last day of my year long therapy group, and I know at least one person, not me  would like to go for a beer afterwards. As you can imagine, we have got to know each other pretty well over the year. I don't know what's on offer after this group, we have to speak with them separately about that. SL I will express that I want to try to work on the PTS, it keeps on gettin me into trouble with people.

Hope your all okay. 

05/11/2012 at 16:53

Afternoon all.  I'm still here, just went to mum's for the weekend and it's a faff to post off my phone.

TST, where do you find to sell your stuff?  I'm trying to encourage Mr C to have a sort out of old clobber but not sure where to try it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.