Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,721 to 29,740 of 31,578 messages
02/11/2012 at 16:23

Hi All,

Yes Cinders. No idea which one to buy. I have been looking at the different Kindle.

02/11/2012 at 17:54

I'm a traditionalist Sinbad - I prefer real books 

Don't try to increase the distance you run until you can manage to run a whole 10k without walking. You really should go back to a 5k plan (google couch to 5k) and stick with that until you can run 5k without walking.  Once you've mastered that then go up to 10k and do the same thing until you can run the whole 10k.

02/11/2012 at 18:13

I'm with real books too Sunluvva - have over 200 to read stashed all over the place in the house.  With some women it's shoes - with me it's books.  There's something about the smell of a new book

Am being really good and not "testing" my knee every hour to see if it's fixed itself!

Still extremely jealous of anyone out there running.  Back to work on Monday and running in the dark when I can .

Take care not to try and do too much too soon Sinbad or else you'll end up on the subs bench with me

Good luck for parkrun tomorrow Agent Ginger - I'm up to 72 runs!

02/11/2012 at 18:16
I've got a kindle app on my phone but don't like or use it. Also prefer real books and mags.

Good luck tomorrow AG
02/11/2012 at 18:21

Hi All,

yes I prefer real books to. I have £2,000 worth on just psychology. It's mainly for when I trravel etc and when I want to watch a fiilm.

I'm hear you. I have the 10k movember run in Manchester on the 24th. I'm comfortble jogging and walking it, so I will see how the next 3 weeks go. I hear you to trigger2.

You will be back on the rd soon trigger2.

Hope all okay.

05/11/2012 at 09:16

Hi All,

Is it something I posted? It's very quiet.

05/11/2012 at 13:30

Afternoon eveyone   lol Sinbad, it's not anything you've posted, it just goes quiet sometimes when people are busy!

Got to admit, I'm with eveyone else on having real books.  I just lug paperbacks around with me when travelling!  Hope the knee is healing Trigger.  Well done on the interval session SL, sounds like a killer!!  How was the park run AG? 

Well the weather at the weekend put the knockers on doing anything over the lottie, and has got me pondering getting a small poly tunnel that I can set up so I can dig over there when it's rainy but stay dry.    Would only need a small one as I could dig inside it and then move it onto the next section.  It would also come in useful in spring for planting stuff directly outside and keeping it protected from the frost.  Seen some on ebay for about £50 so now need to consult with Mr TST to see if we can afford the investment at the moment.  On the upside of the bad weather I got a whole load of stuff done in the house and sold a load of stuff on line so that's a few more quid in the holiday fund for after London   Still got a lot more to sell - can't believe some of the crap I bought when drunk - but the house is starting to look much nicer without all the tat lying around and I think selling it all is a bit like getting rid of some bad stuff from the past so it's quite cathartic in a way. 

05/11/2012 at 14:55

Hi All,

just me being a bit paranoid I guess TST .

Glad to hear things going well on ebay and home. Yes we all seem to  collect a load of rubbish in the home. Believe it or not, I blitzed all my clothes (typical male with washing machine), and I have found about a dozen odd pair of socks. Do you think they coud be worth something on ebay .

I did another 5k this morning things are getting a little quicker, but I have noticed that although odd k's are getting quicker that dam hill is killing me , it rises 220 ft in about 200m, it says so on Garmin Connect.

Will see what happens when I do my one 10k a week on Wednesday, if I manage a run then. As its the the last day of my year long therapy group, and I know at least one person, not me  would like to go for a beer afterwards. As you can imagine, we have got to know each other pretty well over the year. I don't know what's on offer after this group, we have to speak with them separately about that. SL I will express that I want to try to work on the PTS, it keeps on gettin me into trouble with people.

Hope your all okay. 

05/11/2012 at 16:53

Afternoon all.  I'm still here, just went to mum's for the weekend and it's a faff to post off my phone.

TST, where do you find to sell your stuff?  I'm trying to encourage Mr C to have a sort out of old clobber but not sure where to try it.

05/11/2012 at 18:26

Hi Guys.  Back to work for me today.  Not quite sure where that week went - managed to fill it with reading my books and sewing as well as a lovely lunch with a great friend and a HUGE argument with OH.  Never mind!  Still resting my knee but hope to get out on Saturday for a parkrun (even if I do just one lap).

TST I have visions of you looking like a human tortoise with your poly tunnel!  Still, if it works don't knock it!

Well done on persevering Sinbad - I struggle with hills all the time.  There's one in our local parkrun that you have to get up 3 times.  The first time not a problem, second time half way and third time just forget it!  Chin up!

Cinders I get rid of mine on e-bay and also try fatbrain to see if they're taking books that I've got laying around.  If you don't want to get rid of the books or just swap them have you tried readitswapit?  Great way to get your hands on books for the price of posting a paperback somewhere.

Hope you're all well xx

05/11/2012 at 19:04

Evening all - I've been a busy bee too - too busy to do any running ...... 

I don't know if I'd be able to have a poly tunnel at my allotment TST - the parish council who run it all are very 'Little Britain' if you know what I mean.  It's all pretty much covered over with carpet now for the winter in an attempt to make the weeds die off over the winter.

Keep going on those hills Sinbad, make them your friend and you'll find yourself speeding up.  Aim to run up them as fast and as far as you can then walk/run slowly tll you've got your breath back.

Did you have a good time at mum's Cinders - no accidents or hospital trips 

Hope work isn't too bad Trigger..  I hadn't heard of fatbrain, just had a look and it's quite good isn't it.

I got my race number for Crowborough 10k this morning, it's not till 2nd December. There's a really steep hill in there that you have to run twice.  The last time I did it I could only manage to run it the first time round - fingers crossed I'll make both this time.  

I didn't get out for  a run this weekend at all, I overslept yesterday so said I'd do it today and didn't do that either - must get to running club tomorrow and do myself a proper schedule.  I work better to a schedule.

06/11/2012 at 12:03

Morning all!   One year on and I'm still here!!!   Thanks for all the support you've shown me on here, it's really helped get me through when time have been tough.  I don't doubt that there are still some more tough bits to come, but I feel as though I'm making much more headway, much faster now.  Last night I got rid of some old photo collages that I did years ago; we took them down last weekend to get the sofa bed out and I decided that rather than just put them back up out of habit that they've always been there we should go through all the photos we took down and properly decide which ones should go back up.  I mean, do we really need 20 year old pictures of my nephew as a baby, or wouldn't it be better to put up some more current ones?!  Then I looked at the collages and realised that in all of them I'm drunk or wrecked; sometimes stoned, sometimes just a bit drunk, other times hammered, and other times virtually passed out.  In fact pretty much everyone in every photo was drunk or blitzed on something or other.  And I realised that all they did was serve to remind me of the person I was.  I don't even see most of the people in the pictures any more; some died because of drinking or drugs, some fell out with because of the drinking and some moved away and are now recovering alcoholics too.  So did I really need reminding of all that, or did I want to replace them with the sober me, with better memories that will help me move forward and not tie me to the past.  I decided I wanted to move forward, so I took all the photos out of the frames and binned them. I have hundreds of photos of times past, so if I feel nostalgic I can dig out some of them and reminisce, and there might even be some sober ones in there somewhere!  But now it's time to make new memories, and move forward into a brighter future.  Today is my first anniversary, and also in a way my New Years Day - happy new year everyone!!

Cinders - I put stuff on the local Facebook pages for my area!  It's free and you don't have all the hassle of waiting for people to bid and stuff and they just come and collect so no postage worries.  You just post a picture of what you're selling and the price and wait and see if people want it or not.  Sometimes there's a bit of haggling and sometimes things don't sell at all, in which case I just repost them a week or two later and see if they go then.  If not I take them to the charity shop

Thanks for the fatbrain tip Trigger, I have six boxes of books that I'm trying to get rid of and none of the local secondhand book shops are taking books any more.  Will check that site out and see if they are interested.

Keep at it with the hills Sinbad they do get easier.  We do hill repeats at running club about once a month (when I can go ) and we were taught to 'power up' them.  Maybe you could try a session just doing some powering up the hill, then walking down, then powering up again as that really does help.

You should be able to have a polytunnel SL, after all they're really just a bigger version of a greenhouse and surely they don't object to those?  Anyway I have now purchased one on e-bay for £55 which is 7' x 7' x 15' and is a nice archway shape so I'll be able to utilise most of the space to dig in.  Some of them were a semi-circular shape which meant that you'd not have been able to dig near the edges as you couldn't have stood up.  I'm kind of hoping it will come by the weekend so we can get it up, but as i

yeo
06/11/2012 at 12:46

Hi all

That's a lovely post, TST, and I really am delighted at the corner you've turned over the last year. It must have been both cathartic and symbolic sorting through your old photos, and I do know what you mean about not needing to be reminded. I have clear memories of how awful my life was when I was drinking, and constant reminders of how good my life is without booze.

Well done also SL on also reaching a year without booze and a month without fags. I'm sure we're all proud of you both - now, where's the cake?

I'm back at the hospital with my eyes on Thursday (well, it's easier than leaving them behind), and I hope I get on the list to have my cataract removed soon as it really is bothering me at the moment.

Things are moving on at work. The cafe is operating quite smoothly now, and we've done a few3 sessions in the day centre with a view to starting the full timetable next week.

I'm expecting more exciting news in the next few days so watch this space...

06/11/2012 at 14:50

Well done TST, a lovely post

Well done too SL, great going the both of you.

*Passses round some virtual cake*

Hope all goes well on Thursday with your eyes Yeo, yep, take them with you!

06/11/2012 at 14:57

Thanks Yeo & Cinders   No cake for me though, I'm abstaining as I want to prove to the dietician that it's not going to take six months to sort out my food binging issues   I will however crank the stereo up a bit and start off the daning!   So what do people fancy?  I love a bit of pop as that's great to hoon around to, so shall we start with a bit of ABBA or some Spice Girls?!  Might even have a rummage around and see if I can find some Steps and then we could do some 'bouncing and sliding' Big Willie Style to the MIB theme tune!

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/gallery/dancing_penguinjpg.gif?width=350

Hope everything goes well on Thursday Yeo, but I'm not letting your eye problems stop you shaking ya thang! *Grabs Yeo's hand and attempts to haul him onto the dance floor*  Come on Cinders, you gonna have a bop?

06/11/2012 at 16:24

*slides in doing Gangnam Style*   Groovy party

06/11/2012 at 17:36

Fab party and many congrats!  Good luck with the eyes Yeo will be thinking of you.

xx

06/11/2012 at 17:39

Hi All,

I forgot thread party was today folks. I'm really impressed with your determination and staying off the booze this year and beyond.

Thanks for the advice about the hills, I will try and concentrate on hills instead of pure running at some stage soon.

SL I didn't realize you have been without beer for a I'm so impressed with you both.

Yeo I'm glad the cafe in running better now, maybe time out fora run?

I had a major battle with the bank today over web site that accepts the basic card, for those on beneifits and those who don't and eventually (after I started getting loud, unintentionally . Finally got it my card sorted to use online. But am surprised at how many web site refuse the card for those on benifits.

Lol with Cinders and TST.

I was tempted to have a few beers after winning the battle with the bank. bought a 32 inch tv instead. My mate texted me saying was I out on the beer, and in the past I would have gone back into town.

party on down

06/11/2012 at 19:19

Ok who started the lambada?

06/11/2012 at 19:34

Hi All,

Lol wih trigger2. who falls over after having 2 liters of coke today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.