Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,781 to 29,800 of 31,661 messages
17/11/2012 at 20:57

Cinders, I have to do back to back long runs as the ultra is 33 miles one day and 33 miles the next so got to get used to running very long distances on very tired legs.

17/11/2012 at 23:55

Hi All,

SL go for it.

I will do a mixture of of ask and make a statement here.

When people on this thread having been coming off the beer here.

Is it a suden stop or a slow gradule stop?

I went out today, not to drink, but for company.

Is it possible to go out and have soft drinks?

I think the world of you people in here, and want to learn from your experiences. As well as enjoy your company.

18/11/2012 at 08:52

Morning

Lovely and sunny here

SL, is that Pilgrims?  The one you are doing with HTF?

sinbad, it's what works for you?  Some people have given up completely and others cut down. 

18/11/2012 at 15:49

Hi All,

Thanks for that Cinders. I think I'm going to have to cut down slowly, then hopefully stop.

SL that sounds like some awesome training and running you are going to be doing. I look forward to reading your posts on how its all going.

On the plus side I'm slowly knocking my times down for the 5k. Nothing like what SL is doing though.

Hope your all okay

18/11/2012 at 20:57

It is Pilgrims Cinders, I had a bit of a wobbly moment when HTF told me she might not do it but she's entered now so it should be ok.  I dont' think I'm brave enough to do it on my own, I know we wont' be able to run all the way together but I think I need my hand holding.  If I had to go it alone I doubt I'd  even start 

Sinbad - as Cinders said it's what works for you but I have to say that for many people who have had real struggles with drinking to the point where it affects their lives have had more success by just stopping or getting help from AA or other places as 'just one drink' always leads to lots more.  Personally it's taken me about 10 years to decide not to drink.  I didn't drink lots all of the time but when I did it made me ill and after 3 glasses I'd go on to finish the bottle of wine and open another.

I've done another 10 miles today, I decided to head towards the outskirts of town with the dogs and KC on her bike - that was a bit of a mistake   They all tried to trip me up at every occassions and kc kept not cycling up or downhill so it was stop start every 5 mins.  We did it though and got round in the end!  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244635604#.UKlGe_umLQk.facebook

19/11/2012 at 10:02

Hi All,

Thanks for that SL. I will just see what happens overthe winter, I have cut down from every day drinking to just twice a week, and I'm working on that.

That sounds like youu had a interesting training experience with the dogsand kc SL.

I have not been out for my run yet. It's a howling gale outside, so will wait till it the wind slows down before going out.

Hope your all okay.

19/11/2012 at 10:38
sinbad113 wrote (see)

When people on this thread having been coming off the beer here.

Is it a suden stop or a slow gradule stop?

I went out today, not to drink, but for company.

Is it possible to go out and have soft drinks

I can only speak from my experience, but when I quit I knew the only way to do it was to stop completely.  I couldn't cut down as I am the 'binge' type of drinker, as in I can't have one and then stop I have to keep going until I'm utterly paralytic.  I knew the best way for me to do it was to stop completely and just ride things out (did the same with drugs).  I had thought about it for a while before stopping, and I had stopped for three months previously but for the wrong reasons (Mr TST has medication which he can't drink on so I stopped to support him).  I then fell pretty drastically off the wagon for a couple of months before realising that if I didn't stop the most likely out come was that Mr TST was going to wake up next to a dead body one morning.  I called an NHS drinking help centre first, then told Mr TST that I needed to stop and we needed to go and see these people who would help me.  In the end they weren't the right people to help, but I was put in touch with a charity that helps people with addiction problems and they arranged for me to see a counsellor on a 1 to 1 basis in the town where I live.  I had 12 sessions in total (the most they can provide in one go) and can go back if I feel I am going to relapse.  So far I've not needed to, but I am seeing a counsellor who is using Cognative Behavioural Therapy to help me cope with my depression (which the drinking was hiding and I never dealt with) and I also see a dietician who is helping me to try and control the food binging. 

I didn't really go out the house for a long time and definitely couldn't have gone to the pub, but that's just how I felt.  I go to the pub occassionally now; sometimes I can cope and be fine, other times I hate it and it sends me into a bad day and usually a massive eating binge.  I run or do some other form of exercise every day if I can as I find it helps control some of the drinking demons, although I have no doubt I will have to live with them in some form for the rest of my life.

What works for people is an individual thing and only you can decide what will be best for you.  One thing I would strongly suggest you do is get some kind of support, be it AA, through the NHS or from a local addiction charity.  Talking to people who have been there or who can help you deal with the reasons you drink is hugely important and I don't believe that you can make a full recovery unless you deal with the issues behind it.  And there will be issues behind it even if you don't think there are now. 

So that's my journey, hopefully that helps a bit. 

20/11/2012 at 10:30

Hi All,

Wow TST your doing really well. SL Cinders thanks for the advice, and sharing your experiences with me, its appreciated.

I have slowly been cutting down with the help of the DBT group. It's primarily for BPD. The best way to deescribe BPD is that as a child in an abusive environment, you may have lost some or all the growing up stage, and supposebly better ways of coping with school then work etc. The DBT group helps fill in the gaps over a year and helps you to recognise and wih other help, helps you to continue what you have learnt for what you have learnt over the year to become more permament.

Hope thats not too much.

I got out for a run last evenning and did a poor time,so I have decided to just do the 5k this Saturday. But I just got back before tthe rain started and by doing a mixture of 2 or 3 minuets jog then walk and SLI managed a coupleof 30 seconds jog walk up that hill, so whhat you said is slowly working with the hill. I got my best time 43.18. It may not sound much of a big thing but its getting there. It could have been a little faster over the last quater of a mile so, its just a question of time now.

TST once again thanks for sharing your experience, I do take onboard all your experiences and suggestions.

Hope you all okay this morning

22/11/2012 at 14:22

Afternoon, quiet here

22/11/2012 at 17:37

Hi Cinders,

I think people are busy.

I went out for the day Wednesday, my mate didn't drag me out, I just needed real world company But on the plus side, I'm now down to one day a week. By Christmas I will have got it down to just once twice a month.

I'm not doing a run till the fun run Saturday/  After Saturday, I can start the HalHigdn training schedule.

I've had a chat with my mate, I said I would prefer I go for meal instead of just getting drunk, in return I will try some places he wants to try just that once twice a month. I think in time, I may be able to just have soft drinks, not sure yet.

Hope your all okay.

22/11/2012 at 19:25

Well done Sinbad - that's a good decision to have made, stick with it.  Proper friends will support you and not expect you to drink   You can always combine having a meal with your friend and his choice of venue.  

Hi Cinders, yep just been busy busy busy as usual.  Lots of running though, a pace training run on Tuesday - we had to run for 9 mins easy then try to get back to the start in the same time or less - but it was uphill going back, then run 9 mins back again and try to get to the same point - truly knackering!  Yesterday I did 6.5 miles with 2 ladies from the club and walked 3 miles to and from school.  I decided to have an extra rest day today 

If you think I'm nuts with my raw food and running take a look at this   http://www.runningrawaroundaustralia.com/index.html

22/11/2012 at 22:53
Good running SL. Not sure about the link. Are they plus 50 or 60?

Thomas given me his latest cough. Not felt I've slept for a week. On our 3rd bottle of wine. Should sleep tonight.
23/11/2012 at 11:20

Morning everyone   Well done Sinbad, you're doing great and should be proud of yourself.  What sort of places does your friend like to go to?

Lots of running there SL!  I did a 'see how far I could go before something hurt' run on Monday - managed 14 minutes - and then did a run 8, walk 2 one on Wednesday but had to quit part way through the third set as I hadn't planned my route very well and my knee became agony when I had to go up a small hill.  Pennance was having to walk the rest of the way home with it chucking it down!!

Not good about the cough Cinders, hope you all feel better soon

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/gallery/big_hug.gif?width=350

Tried out the boxing club on Tuesday night and loved it!   Hard work as we did a warm up, skipping, learning left jab and right defence, punch bag work, then some fitness stuff like we'd do at circuits, then a cool down.  Was 1.5 hours and we worked hard for all of it!  My friend and I were having problems a bit co-ordinating our left and right when learning the punches so he gave up one red glove (punch) and one black one (defend) although we still couldn't get co-ordinated!   We are going back next week though and am calling a place today about ordering our own gloves, the ones the club owns are a bit old I think and made my hands stinky for ages   Am looking at some nice girlie pink ones!!

Lots of house stuff to do over the weekend as my friends are coming on 1st for my little celebration run.  Have ordered the medals and they are being engraved so hope that will be a nice surprise for them

23/11/2012 at 15:33

Hi All,

Thanks for the well dones. He likes places with real ale, and wants to start wandering away from the town centre pubs, I think were both bored withthe town pubs.He works in the local wetherspoons, and he gets 10% staff discount, so will probable start there, and work our way outwards from there on in, he's a real ale drinker, so will be interesting to see what happens.

SL that sounds like some tough training your doing there, keep at it .

TST the boxing thing sounds tough, they have it at my lesuire centre, but I'm too nervous to go, I'm not very good at fitting into groups.

Cinders hop you slept well.

I tried a little experiment this week. I spent 3 days without the tv on for. I got up and did things and 3 runs, then three days with tv on all the time. I found that I got a hell of a lot more done without the tv on.

As you do more training, and stopping drinking did and do you all find that your body does not know which way to jump? by that I mean is it tired through training or is it because of cutting down on the beer? Or a mixture of the 2?

Hope your ok. And that my many questions are not too much?

23/11/2012 at 15:54

It's not the sort of boxing class you'd do at a leisure centre Sinbad, this is proper boxing, in a boxing ring!  Well, not in a ring yet as we have to learn how to do it properly first, it's very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.  You don't need to fit into a group as you are either doing stuff on your own or you're paired up to learn how to punch and defend, but that was only for about 20 minutes of the 1.5 hour session.  I've ordered my gloves today, they'll be coming on Wednesday just before our next session.  Going to see if Mr TST will come and take some photos of me in the ring wearing them with my bunny ears on.  Should make a good shot and it's about time for a change Cycle Gym Bunny

I didn't find I was ever tired through stopping drinking as such, but I was tired from eating too much crappy food as a substitute for the drink.  I also didn't increase my training, in fact I backed right off and did naff all for about 6 weeks after I quit so I can't answer if that might be making you tired.  You may be feeling tired if you've increased your training, but it could also be because you don't sleep properly when drinking so your body may be trying to catch up on some of it.  Try listening to what your body is telling you, if you genuinely feel tired then don't train and go to bed earlier as recovery is as important as actually training.

23/11/2012 at 17:01

Hello all,

Running has been going steadily this week. I managed 31 miles last week and i'm up to 23 this week, with another 10 ish planned at the weekend, including a parkrun tomorrow morning, in which I hope to smash my PB (let's see how cocky I am on the starting line in the pouring rain tomorrow morning).

The boozing has been gradually declining too, which is good, as i've felt a bit more tired as my weekly mileage has been gradually, slowly increasing, so I can do without the compound effect of a hangover too. As i'm a bit of a statto, I record (amongst other things) the amount of alcohol, in units (rounded up/down to nearest whole number, I'm not a freak ) in my running log. I can see that in July i sunk 89 units, Aug 106, Sept 114, Oct 108, and so far in Nov just 38 units, so assuming I don't go hell for leather between now and next week I'll have my lowest monthly alc intake since the summer, which is my aim, just to reduce the frequency and amount i'm drinking to something more manageable alongside my running, rather than to give it up completely - even if that is the name of this thread

I am however planning to do my long run tomorrow afternoon, so that I can have a drink at the poker night around my mate's tomorrow. I will probably have 3-4 beers as we're playing, so nothing too heavy I hope, as I'd like to have a nice day with the missus on Sunday (she works shifts as a nurse, and is working all day Saturday, and we'll often go ages without spending a full day together, so looking forward to it).

23/11/2012 at 19:23

Hi All,

Thanks for that TST.

I'm impressed with the boxing. Hope it continuess to go well.

In time I hope to get back into the gym.

AG sounds like its up and down at the moment, I'm sure you will reach your target at some stage.

Nearly forgot. Its my 5k fun run in the morning. I'm nearly positive that its just a park run that has been turned into a MoRun event for mens health (postrate cancer.

I'm sure I will come last as my PB is 43 mins for 5k. But we all start from somewhere.

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 19:26
23/11/2012 at 22:16

Good luck for your run tomorrow Sinbad - enjoy it 

Boxing sounds awesome TST, wish I had more hours in the day to be able to do that too 

Great running AG and even better booze stats - looks like you're on for a record month 

Cinders - the couple are in their 60's - how awesome are they 

I've got a busy day tomorrow - I'll be at the market around 7am, straight off for a 12 mile run afterwards.  I've got to go to a 'baby shower' in the afternoon and haven't got a pressie yet.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get something for the baby or the mum .  At some point I've got to pick up another carpet for the allotment from the other side of town - I think I'll sleep well tomorrow night   I was going to do another 12 on Sunday but I'm going to do another cross country with the club, its a Kent  Fitness League race so it all adds points to the team effort - however slow I am   I really want to do it as it's in Oxleas Woods which are the woods I used to play in as a kid.  I grew up just down the road from there and spent all the school holidays playing in the woods with our mates - back in the days when we were kicked out in the morning and came back when we wanted feeding, those were the days   The hill I'll have to run up on sunday is the one I used to sledge down in the winter on the sledge my dad made from an old coffee table - lots of memories.........

24/11/2012 at 14:04

Hi All,

SL that sounds like a great trip down memory lane, when kids could go out  and run wild.

I've been in about an hour or so, I left at just after 7am. I could have done the 10k as I walked half of it back to the train station, then standing on train then walking about another quature of a mile to my mums.

Question, when your looking at your Garmin stats, do you take your elapsed  time, as you true time or your actual moving time?

The course was hillier than my route with twisting roads going up a steady hill climb. I'm a little frustrated as although I broke my best 1k time, and subsequent best mile (I'm under 10 mins now), I could have broke my 5k record, but I listened to my body, instead of my brain the last quater of a kilometer.

At least I can start with proper marathon training now, so I can start doing 4.5 miles next week, then increase it by a mile each week (Hal Higdon), with shorter miles during the week.

Hope your all okay.

24/11/2012 at 14:17

Well done sinbad

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.