Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,781 to 29,800 of 31,577 messages
16/11/2012 at 13:12

Congratulations Yeo! 

Yes SL, I think I've definitely turned a little corner.  I even just turned down cake that is on offer in the kitchen, and because I don't want it rather than because I'm trying to be 'good'.  I feel a small, but definite change today in how I'm thinking about food and I'm really pleased about that.  Let's hope I can keep it up!

Went to body combat last night as I didn't fancy swimming, I seem to have lost the love for it at the moment   It was an interesting experience but I was bored pretty quickly and couldn't see the point of punching the thin air as it didn't feel much of a work out.  So we stopped at one of the local boxing clubs on the way back and I'm going to try out proper boxing next Tuesday!   The rest of the club is all young teenage lads, so will feel a bit out of place for a bit, but reckon it's worth a bash.  Think bashing the bags and stuff around will be good for me and get some agression out.  I won't be allowed to actually fight as I'm too old; apparently they have just created a Veterans class and that's for 34-40 year olds and that's the oldest they allow you to fight at!  But I can learn to punch, defend and spar with the lads.  Apparently there is a young lady who comes sometimes on a Tuesday from their other club so I may be able to spar with her.  Although I have to learn to punch and defend properly before they allow you in the ring.  And I may not even like it!!  Circuits tonight which I'm really looking forward to.

Hope it all goes well with KC, SL.  And very impressed with your 30 miles this week.  Am getting Mr TST to drop me out of town tomorrow so I can do a point to point and run on some different roads rather than running on the same ones again.  Will be going through the woods so am really looking foward to it, although Mr TST usually stays in bed while I'm out so he may not be looking forward to getting up early!

16/11/2012 at 14:18

Congrats Gt Uncle Yeo

Hope KC's therapy went well SL.  Sounds like you did the best thing if you're tired.

Good luck with the boxing TST.  Why no over 40's though, insurance reasons?  Funny though Body Combat was the only one of the Body series I got on with, sort of needed less co-ordination to do!

16/11/2012 at 14:43

I think it may be to do with health reasons?  Not so good to be bashed about the head the older you get!  So far as I could make out it's not a club rule but the sort of amateur boxing people's one so I'm guessing the're a proper reason behind it given I could compete in gymnastics until I was 70!

Bloody hell though, if the body combat needs the least co-ordination there's no way I could do any of the others!  She was going really fast and I couldn't see her properly so was having to rely on people in front of me to see what to do, and they didn't all seem to know!  I was ok with stringing 2-3 moves together but anything over that and I was lost.  For some bits i was literally just dancing around and punching the air like I was at a rave!!

16/11/2012 at 16:15

Lol, spose I was just about standing on the spot punching air really like you!  I'm just not cut out for things like zumba and aerobics and step! 

That's a fair point about being bashed about the head

16/11/2012 at 16:18

I did do shuffling from side to side, cross legs and prancing backwards and forwards, but it was all the jabbing stuff I couldn't coordinate!  

17/11/2012 at 10:26

Congratulations Yeo! 

Managed to do parkrun this morning.  First time I'd run since last Sunday and my Garmin wouldn't work so I have no idea how long it took but I finished and I wasn't last so that's a result as far as I'm concerned.  The course is such that if the knee had started to niggle I could have pulled out after 1 or 2 laps but I persevered and have no more discomfort than I did after the 15 minute run last week.  Will supplement it with some swimming tomorrow and maybe introduce another run next Thursday.  Slowly, slowly!

Hope you're all well?

17/11/2012 at 11:47

Hi All,

Congratulations Yeo.

I ended up getting drunk on Wednesday as I feared. Not been running since then. But on the plus side its now down to once a week

Crumbs you miss a few days in this forum you lose track of everything going on. Sorry I have just lost track of you all.

Sounds like fun though that combat thing, nice change from swimming.

SL I hope all goes well for you and young lass.

I feel really drained I think I didn't give myself a proper restup after getting rid of the dredded bug.

I'm thinking of just trying the 5K instead of the 10K next Saturday fun run, not sure yet. Think I will see how I feel then.

You all seem so busy, I don't know how you all manage your time . It must be ladies being able to multitask.

Hope your all okay. 

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 11:48
17/11/2012 at 15:23

Well done on the parkrun Trigger - glad the knee's feeling better.  I need to have a look to see what's niggling my knee, it doesn't hurt when I run or walk but I sometimes get sharp pain under the kneecap when I bend it certain ways, depressing the clutch in the car, coming downstairs etc.  I'll have a look at the knee injury pages on here.  

Boxing sounds fun TST - I've got no co-ordination so can never manage 'prancy' workouts.  

Hi Cinders - did you get out this weekend?

You'll be fine for the 10k Sinbad -try to make yourself a promise not to have a drink this coming week, if your friends ask why either tell them about the race or tell them that you're on medication or something.  You'll find that your REAL friends will support you but your drinking friends probably won't.  

I did 10 miles this morning, it was supposed to be all off road but I missed the footpath so tried to cut across a field to get to it when the lady farmer came out and called me.  I told her I was aiming for the path, she was fine with that then said not to go off the route towards Bayham Abbey as it's not public footpaths and they're culling deer in the woods.  I don't want to get shot and I wish they weren't shooting the deer either   I ended up doing about 5 off road and 5 on, all country lanes except for one short stretch.    Heres the route http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244053469 .  I've got to do another 10 miles tomorrow 

17/11/2012 at 18:05

Good parkrunning Trigger

Aw, poor deers.  Why do they have to cull them?    How come another ten miles tomorrow?

Get some rest sinbad and definitely see how you feel next week for the run.

Didn't get out today, Thomas had footie and stuff so maybe tomorrow.

17/11/2012 at 20:57

Cinders, I have to do back to back long runs as the ultra is 33 miles one day and 33 miles the next so got to get used to running very long distances on very tired legs.

17/11/2012 at 23:55

Hi All,

SL go for it.

I will do a mixture of of ask and make a statement here.

When people on this thread having been coming off the beer here.

Is it a suden stop or a slow gradule stop?

I went out today, not to drink, but for company.

Is it possible to go out and have soft drinks?

I think the world of you people in here, and want to learn from your experiences. As well as enjoy your company.

18/11/2012 at 08:52

Morning

Lovely and sunny here

SL, is that Pilgrims?  The one you are doing with HTF?

sinbad, it's what works for you?  Some people have given up completely and others cut down. 

18/11/2012 at 15:49

Hi All,

Thanks for that Cinders. I think I'm going to have to cut down slowly, then hopefully stop.

SL that sounds like some awesome training and running you are going to be doing. I look forward to reading your posts on how its all going.

On the plus side I'm slowly knocking my times down for the 5k. Nothing like what SL is doing though.

Hope your all okay

18/11/2012 at 20:57

It is Pilgrims Cinders, I had a bit of a wobbly moment when HTF told me she might not do it but she's entered now so it should be ok.  I dont' think I'm brave enough to do it on my own, I know we wont' be able to run all the way together but I think I need my hand holding.  If I had to go it alone I doubt I'd  even start 

Sinbad - as Cinders said it's what works for you but I have to say that for many people who have had real struggles with drinking to the point where it affects their lives have had more success by just stopping or getting help from AA or other places as 'just one drink' always leads to lots more.  Personally it's taken me about 10 years to decide not to drink.  I didn't drink lots all of the time but when I did it made me ill and after 3 glasses I'd go on to finish the bottle of wine and open another.

I've done another 10 miles today, I decided to head towards the outskirts of town with the dogs and KC on her bike - that was a bit of a mistake   They all tried to trip me up at every occassions and kc kept not cycling up or downhill so it was stop start every 5 mins.  We did it though and got round in the end!  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244635604#.UKlGe_umLQk.facebook

19/11/2012 at 10:02

Hi All,

Thanks for that SL. I will just see what happens overthe winter, I have cut down from every day drinking to just twice a week, and I'm working on that.

That sounds like youu had a interesting training experience with the dogsand kc SL.

I have not been out for my run yet. It's a howling gale outside, so will wait till it the wind slows down before going out.

Hope your all okay.

19/11/2012 at 10:38
sinbad113 wrote (see)

When people on this thread having been coming off the beer here.

Is it a suden stop or a slow gradule stop?

I went out today, not to drink, but for company.

Is it possible to go out and have soft drinks

I can only speak from my experience, but when I quit I knew the only way to do it was to stop completely.  I couldn't cut down as I am the 'binge' type of drinker, as in I can't have one and then stop I have to keep going until I'm utterly paralytic.  I knew the best way for me to do it was to stop completely and just ride things out (did the same with drugs).  I had thought about it for a while before stopping, and I had stopped for three months previously but for the wrong reasons (Mr TST has medication which he can't drink on so I stopped to support him).  I then fell pretty drastically off the wagon for a couple of months before realising that if I didn't stop the most likely out come was that Mr TST was going to wake up next to a dead body one morning.  I called an NHS drinking help centre first, then told Mr TST that I needed to stop and we needed to go and see these people who would help me.  In the end they weren't the right people to help, but I was put in touch with a charity that helps people with addiction problems and they arranged for me to see a counsellor on a 1 to 1 basis in the town where I live.  I had 12 sessions in total (the most they can provide in one go) and can go back if I feel I am going to relapse.  So far I've not needed to, but I am seeing a counsellor who is using Cognative Behavioural Therapy to help me cope with my depression (which the drinking was hiding and I never dealt with) and I also see a dietician who is helping me to try and control the food binging. 

I didn't really go out the house for a long time and definitely couldn't have gone to the pub, but that's just how I felt.  I go to the pub occassionally now; sometimes I can cope and be fine, other times I hate it and it sends me into a bad day and usually a massive eating binge.  I run or do some other form of exercise every day if I can as I find it helps control some of the drinking demons, although I have no doubt I will have to live with them in some form for the rest of my life.

What works for people is an individual thing and only you can decide what will be best for you.  One thing I would strongly suggest you do is get some kind of support, be it AA, through the NHS or from a local addiction charity.  Talking to people who have been there or who can help you deal with the reasons you drink is hugely important and I don't believe that you can make a full recovery unless you deal with the issues behind it.  And there will be issues behind it even if you don't think there are now. 

So that's my journey, hopefully that helps a bit. 

20/11/2012 at 10:30

Hi All,

Wow TST your doing really well. SL Cinders thanks for the advice, and sharing your experiences with me, its appreciated.

I have slowly been cutting down with the help of the DBT group. It's primarily for BPD. The best way to deescribe BPD is that as a child in an abusive environment, you may have lost some or all the growing up stage, and supposebly better ways of coping with school then work etc. The DBT group helps fill in the gaps over a year and helps you to recognise and wih other help, helps you to continue what you have learnt for what you have learnt over the year to become more permament.

Hope thats not too much.

I got out for a run last evenning and did a poor time,so I have decided to just do the 5k this Saturday. But I just got back before tthe rain started and by doing a mixture of 2 or 3 minuets jog then walk and SLI managed a coupleof 30 seconds jog walk up that hill, so whhat you said is slowly working with the hill. I got my best time 43.18. It may not sound much of a big thing but its getting there. It could have been a little faster over the last quater of a mile so, its just a question of time now.

TST once again thanks for sharing your experience, I do take onboard all your experiences and suggestions.

Hope you all okay this morning

22/11/2012 at 14:22

Afternoon, quiet here

22/11/2012 at 17:37

Hi Cinders,

I think people are busy.

I went out for the day Wednesday, my mate didn't drag me out, I just needed real world company But on the plus side, I'm now down to one day a week. By Christmas I will have got it down to just once twice a month.

I'm not doing a run till the fun run Saturday/  After Saturday, I can start the HalHigdn training schedule.

I've had a chat with my mate, I said I would prefer I go for meal instead of just getting drunk, in return I will try some places he wants to try just that once twice a month. I think in time, I may be able to just have soft drinks, not sure yet.

Hope your all okay.

22/11/2012 at 19:25

Well done Sinbad - that's a good decision to have made, stick with it.  Proper friends will support you and not expect you to drink   You can always combine having a meal with your friend and his choice of venue.  

Hi Cinders, yep just been busy busy busy as usual.  Lots of running though, a pace training run on Tuesday - we had to run for 9 mins easy then try to get back to the start in the same time or less - but it was uphill going back, then run 9 mins back again and try to get to the same point - truly knackering!  Yesterday I did 6.5 miles with 2 ladies from the club and walked 3 miles to and from school.  I decided to have an extra rest day today 

If you think I'm nuts with my raw food and running take a look at this   http://www.runningrawaroundaustralia.com/index.html

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.