Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,801 to 29,820 of 31,656 messages
24/11/2012 at 14:20

Hi  All,

Thanks Cinders.

I'm just going to have to be more disciplined with training, and increase mileage according to Hl Higdon, and do a mixture of walking and runniing to increase actual moving time.

24/11/2012 at 15:00

Well done everyone lots going on here!  Mental note to self - be sure not to upset TST as she could inflict pain!

No running for me since last Saturday - work has been so manic that I've been using it as an excuse not to run when I get home - really don't like running in the dark.  My knee will probably feel better for the rest anyway.  Swam 22 lengths last Sunday (am increasing it by 2 lengths per week).  No run this morning - had a lie in as I spent the evening with Robbie Williams at the 02 last night (ok along with thousands of others)  AMAZING!

24/11/2012 at 15:44

Hi All,

Lol with trigger2. It sounds like the swimming is doing you good, and improving overall fitness.

Is it me, or is it when you run somewhere totally new, that it's hard to pace oneself?

I found myself walking even when I was able to jog a little more than 3o seconds walk 30 seconds? It's driving me nuts, as i don't know whether I'm improving or just not pushing myself enough.

25/11/2012 at 12:02

Hi All,

I know most of you drive, It's a privalage to. I still don't drive yet, as part of difficulty is spatial awareness.

But I have a moan. Was on a two mile jog (3.39k acocording to Garmin), on way back, a car diliberatly went though a huge pubble built up on the road extremly fast, completly showering me  from head to foot. . I was not amused.

I know you won't do it in here, but it makes me angry. Sorry, I had waited till the rain had stopped before I went for run an all lol 

25/11/2012 at 14:46

It's an offence to soak a pedestrian if it was an intended drive through the puddle sinbad. 

I've had it done to me too

Still coughing so no running

25/11/2012 at 18:13

Evening all.  I didn't get out for any run today - I overslept and had a headache when I woke up so turned over and went back to sleep.   Must've needed it

That was a rotten of the driver Sinbad but I reckon it's happened to all of us - just remember 'what goes around comes around'  I'm a great believer in karma 

26/11/2012 at 12:17

well done on your race Sinbad. I did a parkrun on saturday too, which i am made up with. I was late leaving the house, and ended up running the mile to the park, and getting there just as the gun went off (well, just as the bloke said "go"). i scraped a PB though, so I was pretty pleased with myself. Then i had an 8mile warm down run. Very slowly, through the sodden streets of south London.

Sinbad, I know what you mean about moving time versus elapsed time. I find it pretty frustrating when I'm out for a run and I'm waiting at 4 or 5 sets of traffic lights for 20-30 seconds at a time. Not only does it reduce my overall pace, but the stop/starting breaks up my rhythm. Unfortunately, it's hard to go for a run more than about 20 mins without having to cross a few roads, so I just soak it up. I used to deduct the "waiting time" from my overall times, but I found that gave me a false sense of what my pace was, so when i came to a race day i was slower over the same distances, because I'd not accounted for these mini "rest breaks" I kept giving myself in training. so, my suggestion is just to accept that you might need to stop or walk at times but take the elapsed time to work out your pace etc.

26/11/2012 at 12:18

also, i won a few quid on Saturday at the poker. It paid for the booze (4 beers) and the pizza, so I broke even i guess

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 12:20
26/11/2012 at 13:44

Afternoon everyone

Well done on your race Sinbad   I've always just counted the time I was going from start to finish of my run/race as my time.  Must admit it's never occured to me to deduct any time I may have spent waiting to cross a road, level crossing or stopping to do up shoe laces etc.  As AG says it gives you false sense of what your time is if you deduct time from your overall time.  Which marathon are you training for?

Looks like those of you who are running are doing really well and those who are recovering from stuff are getting there slowly.  Could you swim or something Cinders while you can't run?

I managed 3.5 miles on Saturday and did a tad under 3 this morning in the pouring rain!  Both times my knee hurt so I'm not impressed, and it's hurt during the day aftewards too.  I tried run 8, walk 2 on Saturday and thought that might be too much, so tried run 6m, walk 2 this morning and still had problems.  Was really hoping to go to running club this week, but doesn't look like that's going to happen now, although I may see what the session is and go for part of it while Mr TST goes shopping.  Starting to get anxious about it now as there's not long before I'm going to really need to start increasing the mileage and I'm seriously worried about hurting myself.   #

trigger2 wrote (see)

Mental note to self - be sure not to upset TST as she could inflict pain!

Thats made me laugh!  Don't think you have to worry about me inflicting pain on anyone for a while!!

Oh, and well done on winning AG, always good to come away either having broken even or up a bit!

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 13:44
26/11/2012 at 14:50

Well done on the pb and the win AG

Must admit that if I'm out with the club I've seen peeps stopping their garmins at junctions whilst waiting for others to catch up.

Take it easy TST, don't do too much in case things flare back up.

Was going to swim yesterday but was just too tired, it's the missing out on sleep at night more than the blinking cough.  Won't do the Thanet 10 miler this weekend though, not a good idea.  So next run will be Brighton half in Feb

27/11/2012 at 15:35

Urghhh. Went out for some drinks with a couple of mates last night, ended up about 6 pints down by 11. Got last tube home, didnt eat, and felt like dogshit this morning.

Planning on running home, it's only 5 miles but I have a feeling it'll be rough

27/11/2012 at 23:12

Ouch AG - as the old saying goes 'that'll teach yer'  How was the run home?

Can't remember all the posts on the last page so hope everyone's alright (put it down to my age) 

I've been to the club tonight - hill reps for 24 mins.  I must be getting quicker as I got in 6.5 circuits (13 ups and downs) and it didn't feel too tough.

The plan for the rest of the week is a steady 6 tomorrow, speed work at club Thursday, rest Friday, 13m Sat round Bewl Water then the Crowborough 10k Sunday.  If I miss anything it'll be Thursday's club run - god I feel knackered just writing all that. 

TST - I got my headtorch out of the cupboard - it's never been used but the batteries have gone flat since I got it!  I'm planning on wearing it for the first time Saturday morning - I want to get out really early if I can.

27/11/2012 at 23:27
Good running SL. How early Sat morning that you need a torch?

How was the run AG?
28/11/2012 at 11:17

Morning everyone   Been having a bad time of late but today I'm bouncing off the walls!  Am seeing the counsellor today so am going to speak to her about it as I seem to be cycling through being either up or down but there not seeming to be an inbetween.

How was the run home AG?  I could never run with a hangover (not that I had many) I'd just have thrown up!

Get you SL with the running, you're a machine at the moment!   Well done.  Yes, get out there and use it!  Remember you can't put rechargables in the Gamma for some reason though.

I was out at 6.50am on Monday morning Cinders and certainly would have used it then if I'd have gone anywhere without street lights as it was dark.

Boxing gloves should be here today, and the medals I've ordered for my little celebration run on Saturday with my close friends who've helped me stay sober.  Very exciting!  Am also going back to running club tonight, going to see how it goes but I think I really need the support of being back there even if I can't manage all the training.  Mr TST will do the food shopping while I'm there and come and pick me up if I have real problems.  Am also getting myself a club vest!   I've never had one before so am well excited!  I've got to get a lardy-belly size 40 one to go round my big old gut and boobs (and that's only just ), but hopefully it'll help stop me binging as I really want to wear it at the New Years Day 10k and I'll need to have lost an inch from both if I want to wear it over another shirt.

28/11/2012 at 11:42

i've got an image of you running through the streets TST, with a crowd of kids following you, hurdling benches and the like

Run home last night wasn't too bad. I drank lots of water throughout the day, so flushed a lot of the booze out I think. Still felt a bit sluggish and heavy but i managed it. Got a 9 mile detour route home tonight, then a 5 mile run in tomorrow morning. I'm still feeling a bit lacklustre, but i'll take it easy.

Then i'll have a 3 day hiatus, as I'm off to Bruges on Friday; taking the missus for her birthday as a surprise. (the destination is a surprise, not the birthday, she knows when that is).

28/11/2012 at 12:14
AgentGinger wrote (see)

i've got an image of you running through the streets TST, with a crowd of kids following you, hurdling benches and the like

Why?!  Don't understand!

Well done on the run, rather you than me in that state!  What have you got planned for when you get to Bruges?

28/11/2012 at 14:29

TST, it's the scene from Rocky, 6 raw eggs to start with and a run through the city before he ends up running up the steps in Philadelphia.

When we get to Bruges I plan to propose to my gf. We met 2 years ago on her birthday. I'll let you guys know next week whether she says yes or not.

28/11/2012 at 14:58

Awww, how exciting AG, hope you both have a lovely time

28/11/2012 at 16:09

Oh, I've never seen Rocky so that's why it didn't make sense!

28/11/2012 at 16:11

Great film, very inspiring (seriously).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.