Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,821 to 29,840 of 31,442 messages
27/11/2012 at 15:35

Urghhh. Went out for some drinks with a couple of mates last night, ended up about 6 pints down by 11. Got last tube home, didnt eat, and felt like dogshit this morning.

Planning on running home, it's only 5 miles but I have a feeling it'll be rough

27/11/2012 at 23:12

Ouch AG - as the old saying goes 'that'll teach yer'  How was the run home?

Can't remember all the posts on the last page so hope everyone's alright (put it down to my age) 

I've been to the club tonight - hill reps for 24 mins.  I must be getting quicker as I got in 6.5 circuits (13 ups and downs) and it didn't feel too tough.

The plan for the rest of the week is a steady 6 tomorrow, speed work at club Thursday, rest Friday, 13m Sat round Bewl Water then the Crowborough 10k Sunday.  If I miss anything it'll be Thursday's club run - god I feel knackered just writing all that. 

TST - I got my headtorch out of the cupboard - it's never been used but the batteries have gone flat since I got it!  I'm planning on wearing it for the first time Saturday morning - I want to get out really early if I can.

27/11/2012 at 23:27
Good running SL. How early Sat morning that you need a torch?

How was the run AG?
28/11/2012 at 11:17

Morning everyone   Been having a bad time of late but today I'm bouncing off the walls!  Am seeing the counsellor today so am going to speak to her about it as I seem to be cycling through being either up or down but there not seeming to be an inbetween.

How was the run home AG?  I could never run with a hangover (not that I had many) I'd just have thrown up!

Get you SL with the running, you're a machine at the moment!   Well done.  Yes, get out there and use it!  Remember you can't put rechargables in the Gamma for some reason though.

I was out at 6.50am on Monday morning Cinders and certainly would have used it then if I'd have gone anywhere without street lights as it was dark.

Boxing gloves should be here today, and the medals I've ordered for my little celebration run on Saturday with my close friends who've helped me stay sober.  Very exciting!  Am also going back to running club tonight, going to see how it goes but I think I really need the support of being back there even if I can't manage all the training.  Mr TST will do the food shopping while I'm there and come and pick me up if I have real problems.  Am also getting myself a club vest!   I've never had one before so am well excited!  I've got to get a lardy-belly size 40 one to go round my big old gut and boobs (and that's only just ), but hopefully it'll help stop me binging as I really want to wear it at the New Years Day 10k and I'll need to have lost an inch from both if I want to wear it over another shirt.

28/11/2012 at 11:42

i've got an image of you running through the streets TST, with a crowd of kids following you, hurdling benches and the like

Run home last night wasn't too bad. I drank lots of water throughout the day, so flushed a lot of the booze out I think. Still felt a bit sluggish and heavy but i managed it. Got a 9 mile detour route home tonight, then a 5 mile run in tomorrow morning. I'm still feeling a bit lacklustre, but i'll take it easy.

Then i'll have a 3 day hiatus, as I'm off to Bruges on Friday; taking the missus for her birthday as a surprise. (the destination is a surprise, not the birthday, she knows when that is).

28/11/2012 at 12:14
AgentGinger wrote (see)

i've got an image of you running through the streets TST, with a crowd of kids following you, hurdling benches and the like

Why?!  Don't understand!

Well done on the run, rather you than me in that state!  What have you got planned for when you get to Bruges?

28/11/2012 at 14:29

TST, it's the scene from Rocky, 6 raw eggs to start with and a run through the city before he ends up running up the steps in Philadelphia.

When we get to Bruges I plan to propose to my gf. We met 2 years ago on her birthday. I'll let you guys know next week whether she says yes or not.

28/11/2012 at 14:58

Awww, how exciting AG, hope you both have a lovely time

28/11/2012 at 16:09

Oh, I've never seen Rocky so that's why it didn't make sense!

28/11/2012 at 16:11

Great film, very inspiring (seriously).

28/11/2012 at 16:15

Just never watched it as I don't like Sly Stallone, or even boxing really.  Yeah, I know, I've just started doing it, and it probably sounds stupid, but I just find there's a big difference between doing something and watching it!  I loathe football, won't have it on in the house, but if you chucked me on a field and gave me a ball to kick around I'd love it!

29/11/2012 at 14:45

Great going AG - I could never run with a hangover either but then my hangovers lasted at least two days, up to 4 sometimes   Hope the Mrs enjoys her surprise.  

I'm the same as you TST when it comes to watching sport - especially cricket but love to have a bash around playing it   Hope it all went well with the counsellor yesterday.   Glad you enjoyed running club - I've got a large vest too 

I'm planning to leave the house before 6.30am Cinders and I'll be running around the lake - no pavement or lights anywhere.  I've got lots of batteries, hubby bought a box home from work for me.

29/11/2012 at 20:44

Having been woken by the seagulls at 6 this morning I now know how dark it is now so you'll def be needing that torch!  I was so disappointed.  It was so dark I thought it must only have been about 4am!

Hope you got on ok with the counsellor TST.

Gritters were out again, got stuck behind one!

30/11/2012 at 13:03

Afternoon everyone  

Running club was fab SL, didn't want to reply fully in the album as I promised no running stuff in there!  Although did mean to respond   We did hills and I really wasn't sure how it would go, but the hill kind of starts off gentle and gets more or a hill as you go up it, so I thought if it came to the worst then I could just go up and down the bottom bit!  Managed to do the section which went 2/3 of the way up so was pleased with that and did make it to the top once at the end, although slowed right down to a little job, but just wanted to know I'd done it.  Knee was a bit niggly on and off during the session, but that's to be expected as I did just over three miles without any walking really, although I wasn't pushing it uphill and was taking it very easy on the way down.  Was just so good to go back though and lovely to see everyone, and now I'm the proud owner of my first ever club vest   It may well be a size 40, but if I ever lose the weight then I'll be able to get a top on underneath it if it's cold!

Counselling was ok, am going to keep a diary rather than try and fill in the forms she gave me as I can't identify triggers easily (everything in my head is bad most of the time) and am not good at putting down the unhelpful thoughts as little facts, I just tend to ramble on   So I'm going to do a diary, which may also help pinpoint if something is causing the massive crashes and highs I get, and then we will look at how I can draw the facts out of that which need to go on the sheet.  Still have a very long way to go I think!

Hope your run goes well tomorrow SL   How's your cough Cinders, have you been out yet?

Won't be around over the weekend, have friends coming for my celebration run tomorrow, then an engagement party Saturday night although we're just going early and for a little while.  Sunday morning is swimming then pole dancing with the friend that is staying for the weekend and a big old roast chicken before she heads back home.  Going to be knackered by the end of it!!

Oh, and they put me in the ring at boxing last night, was really funny as I was rubbish!  Think he wanted to make sure we know what the boxing bit is all about as I wasn't expecting to be sparring that soon.  It's tiring as you move a lot and mentally very hard work trying to process that you have to hit them as well as trying to defend.  Gonna take a while and I'm not sure I'll be any good at it, but we're having fun and that's all that counts

Have a lovely weekend everyone

01/12/2012 at 16:51

14 miles round Bewl Water this morning - it was still minus two when I left home so I wrapped up warm and was fine.  Mostly is was icy crunchy underfoot but sometimes it was muddy where the sun had thawed it or my foot went through the ice so it was up to the ankle in freezing icy mud - brrrrrrr.  Crowborough 10k tomorrow and it's not forecast to be any warmer.................

01/12/2012 at 17:57

Have a good run tomorrow SL   Certainly has chilled down somewhat, brrrrrr. 

02/12/2012 at 09:30
Morning - and what an absolutely beautiful one it is here too!

Just done a 3 mile run with the frost crunching underfoot and the sun bouncing off the brilliant wintery white dunes...amazing!

It was my first run in more than a month but things, on the whole are good. After a booze-free late September and October, I had one bad week at the start of November but have put it behind me - all I've had is one pint of Guinness at football in over three weeks.

So how are you all doing?

SL - your mileage and intensity looks amazing...I don't know how you do it but being booze free and eating so well obviously helps! Good luck in the 10k this morning.

TST - it looks like your training is going really well too. I also think your approach to counselling looks like one that will pay dividends in the long run. I hope your weekend of celebratory running, swimming and pole dancing is going well! It'll soon be time to round it off with the roast, and well-deserved it will be too!

AG - I love Rocky too - it might not be too high-brow but I've been known to watch the whole box set in a couple of sittings - 1,2 and 3 are great but then it does get a bit cheesy, especially when they try to tackle global issues like the Cold War! Good luck with the proposal in Bruges - I really hope you return with good news!

Sinbad - I hope your plans to drink less are going well - your running certainly seems to be improving from what you've been posting. The Christmas period can be really tough when cutting down on drinking and some good winter running helps loads - it's certainly a big part of my plan. I love a Christmas morning run and I want to be fit enough for a comfortable 3-4 miles this year so that's my incentive.

I might have missed a congratulations to uncle yeo, a happy birthday to HTF and just a general hello to Cinders and anyone else who is looking in!
02/12/2012 at 18:50

Evening Apps, always lovely to hear from you, you must try and post on here a bit more regularly   Sounds like you're doing well and staying on the path to health 

I saw your photos and certificate of fb TST, it seems like it was a great success.  You're going to be a force to be reckoned with soon - I've got a mental picture of you charging round a boxing ring then getting on down with some pole dancing but still dressed in pink boxing gloves and bunny ears   

Did you get out for a run this weekend Cinders - or even in for a run on the dreadmill??? 

Yeo, how did the concert go, were you still singing 'Hallelujah' at the end of it 

The 10k went much better than expected - I was expecting it to feel tough and it did. I swear that hill gets steeper every year - and you have to do it twice   I also think it's tougher than the hill in the T.Wells 1/2m, I can normally run all the way up that for the whole mile but I've never managed to get up this one......that sounds like a new goal for me   I'm really chuffed with the time  - 1:08, that's mega fast for me especially after yesterday's 14 miles  I suppose it will count as a post 50 pb 

03/12/2012 at 11:42

Hi All,

Sorry I not been in, last week was tough I went out 3 times not good.

TST keep up with the counselling, it takes time but can help.

SL awesome runnning, I hope to catch you up eventually.

AG I'm positive your romatic trip will run smoothly

Cindrs, hows it going?

Apparition thanks for that.

The medal from the prostate cancer fun run is a good one, its got a moustache across europe, with little runners going across the moustache, someones really thought about that medal.

I had a blazing row with my mother. She started preeching to me about how well a paralimpyan was doing, and comparing it with my unseen disability and pts, I had thought she really understood, apparently not, I have never stopped trying yet she preceeded to lecture me. No thanks.

I went out for a gentle jog this morning, and will be out Tuesday morning to. But i will be having a few beers as its his 40th tomorrow, and although planning a cheap night with friends Wed and one for the more expensive night Friday, he wasn't going to go out on the actual day, you can't have that on his actual 40th. It won't be all day, as he has a pool comp that day to, but i'm determined to have him at least a little tipsy.

Hope your all okay?

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 11:46
03/12/2012 at 15:20

Hello Chaps and Chapettes

Weekend in Bruges went well. I left with a girlfriend and came back with a fiancee

(can't remember if it's fiance or fiancee, and I think there's an accent in there somewhere too, but nevermind).

So haven't run since Wednesday evening, planning on running home tonight. Thankfully didn't drink much over the weekend, and was a really chilled, relaxing weekend, so feel fresh today. My beloved stats show I drank less in Nov than any month in the last half a year, so that's good. Must now navigate the glut of xmas parties without getting sooo boozed up that my running is badly affected, as I'll be starting my 18 week Manchester Marathon training on xmas eve

Sunluvva, well done on your post 50 PB

Sinbad, I had a bit of a rocky relationship with my mother. I know how draining it can be when you're not getting support from someone you should be able to expect it from. But chin up, it is what it is, accept that she might never get it, and make the best of the relationship as you can. I'm not in a position to advise anyone on relationships with parents, but try not to let it anyone grind you down, even your own mum.

Apparition, i envy your frosty run, I actually really enjoy being out in the freezing cold running. Since I always massively overheat anyway when I run, I find running in the cold quite comfortable. One of my favourite ever runs was a long run through Hyde Park in the snow about 2 or 3 winters ago. Apart from the occassional near slip it's really beautiful being outside in that weather, so long as the wind and rain keep away.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.