Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,861 to 29,880 of 31,656 messages
13/12/2012 at 12:00

I've been a bit quiet on here this week; it's been a busy last week in work before i finish for Christmas.

so far run 22 miles this week, tmoorrow will be a rest day, then hoping to get out for 10 miles on saturday morning, before getting the flat ready for our Christmas party on Saturday night. Not much to do, just make a playlist, nip to the shop to buy booze and mince pies and cheese etc.

Tuesday was works xmas party, but was a fairly muted affair. It was Tues after all. tomorrow night i've got a mate's birthday drinks, but I can probably reign it in a bit (esp as i plan to get in my run on saturday morning).

Ran home last night (9 mile detour) and in this morning (5 miles) and although it was freezing I was sweating buckets after each run, and really hot after about a mile into each. i think this weather really suits me, as long as i'm not on my bike, which means losing fingers to frostbite.

hoping to continue the running throughout next week and over xmas and minimise the drinking, although there's lots of stuff coming up, so i might just have to accept i'll be tempted to drink more frequently, so to keep it to a couple rather than making each of them a huge session.

14/12/2012 at 08:38

Hi All,

I rememvber you mentioning Chns diesase SL, so the bananas sounds like a good plan.

Cinder's sorry about your loss, always difficult at this time of yeart,

AG I know how you feel booze wise.

I live alone, so the only people I know are those that enjjoy  a beer.

About training. It's freezing here even in my flat, normally I'm ok as I get the heat from other flats.

Anyway it makes sense that outside there's loads of black ice, but added to that its so foggy, I would say  visability down to about 20ft. Should I go for run, or  finally go for a swim and a suana?

I'm worried about injury on the blak ice/

14/12/2012 at 10:17

Hi All,

an update on weatherr, be very careful out  there. I was going to the gym (if I could avoid the pub), but a I went over onto my bum twice. I got to bus stop, and overheard that the bus had not turned up.

As I walked back home a lady at  the other side of the rd (at bus stop) had phoned the bus depot. The busses were running but they didn't know for how long. He added that it's chaos on the road/

Please be safe out there, only go out if you really have to.

Jordan Williamson, that's ace stopping drinking beer completly, I'm struggling.

14/12/2012 at 14:04

Hi All,

Well I've nearly done it. I have booked a tour for the local lesuire centre sports facilities about 3 miles from me. It's only £23 a month after paying £10 joining fee.

There is a total fitness gym two miles away but membership is over £40 a month membership.

Crumbs what must you all think, my third post today.

Hope your all okay.

14/12/2012 at 14:20

hey sinbad, good call with the gym membership. might not be as interesting running on a dreadmill as it is outside, but needs must, and it's certainly better than having to skip lots of runs because of ice/snow etc.

plus will be a good place to do some supportive exercises too, core strength and the like, to bolster your running.

14/12/2012 at 16:38

Hi All,

AG i agree totally with your thinking.

14/12/2012 at 22:09

Hi All,

Me again, sorry.

I really would like to stop drinking to the point, that one is about right for me being drunk.

On days like my weekly pay day on a Wednesday be ok to post on here, as a way of not going on a binge drinking session?

I'm just aware that I may be putting too many posts, and trying too hard on this thread. It just appears that I may be cutting down one week or so, then I'm going daft for two or more weeks.

Advice would be welcome, and yes I do remember some peopel's experiences that have helped. It makes me feel that I'm not on my own, with cutting down stoppng drinking.

14/12/2012 at 22:55

Evening all - a rare visit from me, sorry about that!

Sinbad, post as much as you like, it's what the thread's here for especially if talking about how you're feeling here stops you going on a binge. That strikes me as being just fine.  I hope the visit to the gym is useful, that sounds like a good plan.

I'm now on the regime of putting drops in my right eye 4 times  day, as well as the 2 in both eyes at night and one in both eyes in the morning that I take normally! How the hell I'm I'm going to keep track of that lot, but surgery is provisionally booked for Jan 10.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I'm fe3d up with being cold!

15/12/2012 at 09:07

Morning all

Post as often as you want Sinbad - if it helps to stop you going out and getting lashed then thats a good thing.  The gym sounds a good idea especially at that price, my local one's over 50 quid a month which is the main reason I don't go to the gym!

Hi Yeo - I'd be useless remembering to put those drops in my eyes 4 times a day - I used to ask for all y meds to be taken just once a day if poss as I forget  any more than that.  Surgery sounds scary but it will really be worth it when it's done.  On the plus side - it's positively balmy out there today compared to the rest of this week

For the first time in over a week I feel almost normal, no headache, no swollen glands, no sore throat and no feeling bleurgh.  I still won't go for a run though - that would be daft, maybe I'll go for a little tester tomorrow to see how I feel.......

Some awesome running going on with you AG  especially as you seem like you like a bit of a pary - it's great when you get the balance right so you can do both running and partying and not let one compromise the other.  Hope you got out for that run this morning and have a great party tonight.

I've got to go to the market this morning and pick up my fruit haul - 18kg  box of bananas, box of oranges - 50-70 depending on size, massive box of clementines - not sure what the weight or count of those is and a 5kg box of fresh dates.  That'll do for this week as I've still got some pineapples and apples in my store room..  This afternoon we've got the foster agency xmas party, it would be more fun if it wasn't in sittingbourne which is an hours drive away..

Anyone got anything planned for the weekend?

15/12/2012 at 09:31
Enjoy the party SL

On a Chunnel train. Just leaving so have a nice weekend all. Off to Lille
15/12/2012 at 13:06

Sinbad, another vote for posting as often as you like .

You xmas shopping Cinders, have a fab time.

Yeo, fingers crossed for the surgery.  Why is it provisional?

Pilgrims last year.  There are still some places left!

15/12/2012 at 14:58

Hi All,

Thanks for giving me the go ahead for posts.

Nice to hear from you Yeo. Sorry to hear about the eye drops though.

SL glad your bak on your diet, I must admit I would struggle with the diet you havet.

Cinders going to Lille, I'm jealous.

Thanks hopetofinish.

Well the gym worked to day. I also came back erliay (i give up with that spelling ) as I got a text saying a ard payment had not gone through normally I would just go to the pub, I didn't and I went home.

I'm also an armchair man city fan, and was tempted to try some fresh orange instead of beer, but decided against it.

I did 5k on the treadmill, forgotton what that was like  say no more. I'm planning to jog to the gym Sunday, its about 3 mile. Then do some weights and see if I can then get upto 10k bak on the treadmill.

The sauna steam room was just how I remembered it, a  way to relax, as long as  you know when to get out

Hope your all ok.

15/12/2012 at 19:27
Here for the Xmas market. Was fab but rather crowded.

Now in the hotel room watching the Lorax

Enjoy the gym sinbad
16/12/2012 at 17:10

Hope you enjoyed the Market Cinders - are you back home now? 

Did you jog to the gym Sinbad, hope you enjoy your workouts 

Hubby's got surgery 'provisionally'booked on his knee this coming Friday, if something more urgent happens his op will have to wait - that's why its always 'provisional' these days.

I didn't get out for my run, kc's gone down with the same lurgy as me and was up all night - literally.  I was up with her every hour between 7.30pm and 5am except for 2 hours   I'll be doping her up with calpol and stuff tonight in an attempt that we can both get some sleep!

17/12/2012 at 08:01

Morning, got back late last night.  Fab weekend

Hope you and KC feel better SL and that KC got some sleep last night.

17/12/2012 at 09:55

Hi All,

Yes hope you both get well very quickly SL

Glad you had an ace time Cinders

Yeah I tried to jog there, but made mistake of just getting up aand going. By that I didn't have any fluid inside me, so I jogged the first two mile walked the rest. I won't be doing that again, I mean just getting up and running.I also jog with rucksak on my back. The gym is a good one, they have tried really hard with it, after all its a council run lesuire centre.

I was tempted to go for a pint today. But on this occasion managed not to. I will go to local co op instead, i would have done a small shop then pub.

Hope your all okay?

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 09:56
17/12/2012 at 16:38

Hi All,

Hope your both feeling better SL.

I'm finally starting to feel more hydrated, and have eaten apples oranges and fruit drinks.

Cinders did you go running while you were away.

I can drink between two and 4 liters of diet ooke pepsi a day. Yesterday I had none, and today I only had 3 cans of diett coke. I weighed myself about an hour ago, I have lost 2lb's from 13st.

Hope your allokay?

18/12/2012 at 13:47

Hello everyone   Hope you're all ok.  Just a quick drop in to say I am still alive, just!  Have been proper ill with flu and then a severe sinus infection   Still poorly although have some medication now, have to see how that goes and go back if I'm not better by Monday.  No training at all for me, it's an effort just to walk places although the medication must be starting to work as I'm not getting 'spinny' episodes any more   Hopefully will be much better by the weekend so will try and catch up then. 

18/12/2012 at 14:08

Get well soon TST ((( )))

sinbad, that's a lot of diet coke! 

19/12/2012 at 07:03

Hope you all feel better soon and that those of you who are not ill remain healthy.

Manic week the last week of term and am so looking forward to breaking up tomorrow!  Have a session booked with a Personal Trainer on Friday who's hopefully going to help me sort out my stretching since my knee is still giving me problems

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.