Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,941 to 29,960 of 31,410 messages
yeo
31/12/2012 at 15:51

Hi team

I've now been for the pre-op assessment, and barring accidents or illness it will be going ahead next week on 10 January. I will be having a GA, which I wasn't expecting but am quietly relieved about - I wasn't looking forward to being awake while they carve up my eye, but I should be ok to leave the same day - I'd already arranged to stay a night or two at my sister's.

When I ask3ed the nurse how long I would be off work she suggested a couple of weeks!  I was expecting to be back after a couple of days, but she said I have to be careful of getting knocks to the eye or getting muck and rubble in it.  Anyway, I'll see what the doc says after it's done.

It just remains for me to wish all booze threaders and lurkers a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!  

May you all have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2013, and may all your targets be achieveable, if not necessarily easy!

For my part, I'm just grateful for another alcohol-free year (ok, so there's a few hours to go, but I don't think I'm counting too many premature chickens!), and I'm looking forward to life continuing after the 10th!

31/12/2012 at 16:37

Lol Trigger - Dame Kelly Holmes is with one of our local clubs - not my one though but she always starts the Tunbridge Wells 1/2m and some other local races .

Almost any veg you could eat raw Apps - carrots, beetroot, cabbage, spinach etc.even broccoli.  Just start with a small handful for starters then add in more as your tastebuds get used to it.  I often juice a whole head of celery after a long run now and drink it neat 

I ran 20 miles on Saturday and another 7 yesterday - thought I'd have a day off today   I shall probably go out for 5ish tomorrow, have to run New Years Day - it's a bit of a personal tradition 

31/12/2012 at 21:53

Just popping in to say Happy New Year all, hope 2013 is good

01/01/2013 at 04:00

Hi All,

And Happy New Year.

Thats some running your doing SL. Its a good idea to give yourself a break, if thats what your body is saying.

Yeo I didn't know your having an operation on your eye. I hope it goes well. Keep us informed on how it goes.

I have been boozing New Years Eve. But I have given that day as my  last till at least till after the marathon. I hope to get some sleep soon, nearly been 24 hours without sleep.

Hi Cinders hope your okay?

I hope too be back on dailiy again now. When I wake up, I hope to go for a 5k jog. Depending on on my hangover

Hope your all okay. Apparition, thanks for your comment. To bring you upto date, I  had chat with duty manager of pub, they had no idea what he's talking about job offer. I sent him a few choice text messages. He spoke to one of my friends about the text I sent him, and he didn't like them.

Anyway happy new year all, I hope to not step into a pub till after my marathon now.

Hope all okay.

01/01/2013 at 10:36

Hi All,

I feel a little rough this morning, so will resume training Wednesday. I can just make my four runs if I start tommorow.

I have just bought a Manchhester Marathon Huddy. I will buy the t shirt next week. It feels a lot more real, now that I have bought a top.

Hope your all okay.

01/01/2013 at 15:32

Hello Everyone - Happy New Year to you all - I hope it brings you everything you need and everything you wish for 

Missed your earlier post Yeo - I'm sure it'll all be fine and you'll be seeing clearly again by 11th Jan 

Hope the hangover has gone now Sinbad - keep focussing on the marathon each time you feel yourself wanting a drink and you'll be fine too 

I didn't run today after all, my knee was sore yesterday so I wore a support all day then kept alternatively icing and warming it and smothering it in volterol gel.  It hardly hurt at all this morning but I thought it would be better to give it one more day and I'll get out tomorrow - hopefully it'll be another loely day like today 

01/01/2013 at 15:48

Hi All,

Thanks for that  SL, thats what I'm hoping to do.

From Wednesday I wiil either be running on the road where possible, or in the gym. Doing cross training with weights and or swimming, when weather is bad. Forecast for rain in West Yorkshire. Its just tiredness now SL

You know something you people are the only friends I have. Thankyou for being so patient with me.I just don't know how to play mind games with  friends or know how to manage them. As soon as I have built trust with people, they turn on me, then I'm pushed out again. On top of that I am difficult to deal with.

Hope your all okay?

01/01/2013 at 23:59
Happy New Year everyone!

Sinbad - the people here are pretty amazing and I think the Booze Thread has recognition across the RW forum as one that offers unconditional support: I'm pleased that you are benefitting from being one of our crowd! You don't need to thank people for their patience but you demonstrate a nice quality in doing so. Your self-awareness is also a good quality and not knowing how to play mind games is suggestive of a positive character trait; friendships should be founded on mutual trust and equal status, which mind games have no place in!

SL - it sounds like you're managing yourself well, which is a good sign with the running challenges you've set yourself'! After you suggested Jason Vale as a good juicing guide, I found out that I already own one of his books! I'm looking forward to trying a few of his ideas.

yeo - I'm pleased that the assessment means that the op goes ahead and I imagine that you are anxious to get to the other side of next Monday - I hope that you recover quickly and can relax with some of the enforced rest.

I had a decent last 3 months of 2012 booze-wise, with a couple of good spells of 3-4 week periods of no booze. However, when I drink after one of these spells, it sneaks back up on me and I know it's an addiction and not just a case of wanting to cut back. It's important that I hold on to the recognition of my relationship with alcohol and keep challenging myself. You guys all help so much with that and I know I need to post more to draw on your support, friendship and experience.
02/01/2013 at 10:06

Morning.

Grateful I don't work Wednesdays as I have another day off and to get over the last cold I've picked up. 

Question SL, do you find juicing helps your immune system at all?  I just seem to forever pick up colds these days.

Apps, it is always good to hear from you and good that the last 3 months have been decent. 

Yeo, wishing you all the best for the op next week and a quick recovery.

How are you feeling now sinbad?

Booze wise, not been good here, it's slid back to not good ways and I need to do something.  Realised that I've had a problem for nearly 10 years and that's a 1/4 of my life.   

02/01/2013 at 10:37

Hi All,

Yeo I echo the thoughts others have said about your operation.

Thanks for that apparition. I know how you feel about sliding back. As one person has said on here look at the positive aspects, and work on those that need to.

Cinders, realisng that something needs to change is a massive step in the right direction.

I feel better thanks Cinders.

My run today 5k was worst one today, some 12 minuetes of my pb. But its a  positive restart after the New Year. I intend to stick the 16 week training program suppled by the Manchester Marathon team coach. It means running five days before I get a break, but then I can get proper breaks with cross training included.

As you have said always look try and look the positives then work on the the negatives, one step at a time.

Hope your all okay.

02/01/2013 at 13:58

Happy New Year everyone! 

Good that you have the go-ahead for the op Yeo and that they are giving you a GA, I wouldn't fancy being awake for it! 

Hopefully we'll see a bit more of you Apps, but really well done for the last few months.

Stick at it Sinbad.  I'm just about to embark on my training plan for the VLM too and I must admit it looks scary but I know it'll be worth putting the effort in now as that is what will get me to the finish.

Right, need a little help from you Kent people!  We are going to Canterbury for the weekend of 27-28 July for my brother's wedding and my sister suggested I should do an event while I'm there so I was wondering if anyone knows of anything going on in the vacinity that weekend?  I can't find anything on here, but have realised that only some events are on here as the New Years Day 10k I did wasn't listed here this time although it was still on and has been here on previous years; not sure if you have to pay to have your event listed here  or something.  Anyway, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!

02/01/2013 at 14:28

Hi All,

TST keep me/us upto with the VLM training. Sounds like you are gearing yourself up for thee chllenge ahead.

02/01/2013 at 15:22
Hi TST. Do you mean running events in Kent that weekend?
02/01/2013 at 15:27

Yes, running I think would be easiest.   Or would look at a swim event.  Could take the bike for a cycle event or tri but then that could be awkward keeping it in the hotel room or finding somewhere safe to keep it!

02/01/2013 at 15:53

Hi All,

TST wrong part of country for me. I'm West Yorkshire.

02/01/2013 at 16:14

Ok, I'll have a look around later

02/01/2013 at 20:25

Hi Guys!  Did Ally Pally parkrun yesterday.  It's renowned for its hills and yesterday it was renowned for a muddy hill!  Subsequently 30.26 for me.  Not too worried - just glad that the knee only complained for a little while.

I slipped off the booze wagon over Christmas and New Year.  No horrendous hangovers just sociable drinking but am back "off" it again now.  Also back at Slimming World today and at the top end of my target range having put on 3lbs over the festive season.  Time to get serious!

Hope you're all keeping well xx

02/01/2013 at 22:46

Hi All,

trigger 2 thats still faster than my 5k a good 15 mins at least.

Glad you managed to minimize the booze to sociable drinking,

03/01/2013 at 08:52

Morning folks

Cinders - juices are fantastic for the immune system, especially if you get some greens and/or other veggies in too.  You don't 'cook' them at all so you get all the vitamins and minerals from them.  They really can help  

Great time for a 5k Trigger, I can only dream of such speediness at the moment 

TST - not sure what's on, I'll have a look around with Cinders.  What distance are you thinking of?

03/01/2013 at 09:31

Morning everyone

Well done Trigger, I'd be more than happy with that sort of time

Thanks SL and Cinders, if you could have a look about I'd be very grateful.  Probably looking at a 10k or so SL, I shall be paring it right back after London and certainly won't be doing anything more than a half again!!

Been back to the docs and the physio yesterday; more antibiotics from the doctor to try and shift this stubborn infection (had it since I had the flu at the beginning of December ) and ultrasound from the physio.  Got several more appointments lined up with the physio so hopefully I'll get fixed this time!  Also saw the sports massager last night and she said my back, neck and shoulders were really tight from all the coughing I've been doing   Dietician tomorrow, think I'm gonna be in trouble!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.