Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,961 to 29,980 of 31,656 messages
04/01/2013 at 14:25

hI All,

Your  very welcome mr f. You will find all those who come into this thread supportive, non judgemental and not to forget the social aspect also.

04/01/2013 at 22:15
First Friday night and so far not too bothered! Although I havent slept well since New Years Eve. At least the return to work on Monday will be with a clear head!
04/01/2013 at 22:27
Well, the supplies remained in the garage and i haven't been too tempted. birthday tomorrow so will be the nominated driver, now that's dedication eh!!
05/01/2013 at 16:35

Hi folks and welcome mr f and cyclingrunning.  Well done to both of you and Happy Birthday mr f - good move offering to drive 

TST, Trigger, Cinders, sinbad et all - we all sound like a bunch of crocks not a bunch of healthy running peeps   I hope all viruses, wobbly knees and other malfunctioning parts are all better soon xxxxx

Well done everyone who's managed to get a run in - indoors or out - it's still a run 

Cinders, Apps and anyone else with a juicer - I made a lovely one today.  Strange mix of ingredients but it tasted like wine gums to me   I put in one large bulb of fennel, 300g spinach (you might want less if you're not used to it) one lemon with rind on and however many apples it took to make it 1.5L about 8-10 I think but it will depend on size.  It was really really yummy scrummy.   I've got a big box of Jazz apples but any kind would do except granny smiths I'd say - though you could mix grannys with a sweeter one.  Do try it and let me know what you think 

I was going for my  long run today - 22-24 miles  but hubby's knee was really bad.  He caught his foot on the prong of the fork lift truck and twisted his knee and was in agony.  To be honest it's not been as good as it should be after the op, he's got an appt on 15th so hopefully he can find out what's going on with it.    I shall go tomorrow morning instead - it's much better today for resting it.

06/01/2013 at 08:57

Morning all and welcome to cyclingnrunning and Mr F

A juice that tastes like wine gums?  Almost tempting!

Off out shortly for my first lsr of marathon training schedule - 6 miles.  I'm about 5 weeks behind schedule but will do my best in the time that I've got left before Brighton.  Parkrun yesterday - 30.19 which I wasn't very happy with - like to stay below 30 if I can

06/01/2013 at 11:50

hI All

Hi cyclyingrunning and Mr f i echo words of SL in nominating yourself to be driver.

SL I really must get a juice maker at some stage. Sorry to hear that his knee is playing up. Hope you do manage to get out Monday.

Trigger2 I have complete confidence in you with getting back on schedule.

I just in a short while a go off my first 5 mile run, and comleted in 1hiur22 minuet. I'm quite pleased with that, as its extremly hilly, as you go up on to part of the Yorkmshire Moor.

Cyclyingrunning it can take a good couple of months off the booze before you start finding some form of sleeping partern, as one info pamphlet suggests, get a good book, to read. Or my suggestion lots of TV and or a sit down hobby.

When I get  bak off holiday, I am making a self referal to a charity called On Track I think its called. It helps those who keep sliding back onto alcohol, find ways of not going back onto beer. I'm fed up with myself doing that.

Whats a good time for a 5k parkrun?

I want to even if iits to watch, maybe tthen volunteer before doing one myself. But Im not so worried about time, but pushing myself out of potential friends company after run.

Anyway on the positive I will be doing 3 miles Monday Tuesday weights in gym, folllowed by a sauna, then hopefully 4 miles on Wednesday.

Hope your all okay  today? Was foggy on the moors this morning, it felt the American Werewolf In london, , even a little dog ran out of the few houses on my route

06/01/2013 at 15:26

Lol Sinbad, I started my run very early this morning and it was foggy with howling dogs too.

How was the run Trigger?

I went out expecting to do 22-24 miles and ended up doing a marathon   I think the quaint Kentish sign posts I followed were the ones put up after the war to confuse any lingering germans!  I'm sure it's all good training for Pilgrims but wonder what kind of state I'll be after 33 miles then another 33 miles the next day 

06/01/2013 at 15:45

Hi All,

Wow SL Im impressed. Just how many miles is this Pilgrims marathon ultra run?

06/01/2013 at 16:09

It's 66 miles in total 33 miles on the Saturday and 33 miles back on the Sunday 

06/01/2013 at 17:36

Good running SL

06/01/2013 at 18:03

Fantastic running SL - well impressed!  I did 5.98 miles today so am calling it 6.  It wasn't easy but I didn't quit so that's week 1 done and dusted.  About 15 more to go!

Sinbad why don't you check the results for the local parkrun?  That'll give you some idea as to how you would fit in.  From my experience it's all very positive and supportive - you're only out to improve on your time so I'd advise you to go for it.  When are you off on your hols?  I have to wait until July

Back to work tomorrow - still we all need routine right?

06/01/2013 at 23:29
It looks like great running from sinbad, SL and trigger - well done all of you!

SL - the 'accidental' marathon is the stuff of legend! Your lifestyle and hard work are clearly paying off.

Trigger - I think you're allowed to round up 5.98 to 6! I look forward to hearing your progress - there's a lot of work ahead but you seem determined!

Sinbad - when are you off on your hols? It was a good effort with the run today but I'm not sure I'd fancy the American Werefolf bit!

I'm back into work mode from tomorrow, which is fine after a lovely long break. I'm going to give the Jason Vale 7 Day Juice Programme a go from tomorrow as a detox and see where it leads. No solid meals for at least a week is scary and I've no idea how I'll get on with it but I'll report in regularly. As a starting point, shifting the 1/2 sone I put back on in Decemebr would be good...
07/01/2013 at 09:05

Hi All,

Now why didn't I think of that trigger2, checking the parkrun results. I will do that at some stage today. Sounds like your getting there at your pace with the 6 mile to.

I'm off on my holiday on the 16th till the 23rd January. I'm going to Tunisia and its all inclusive (my first all inclusive). I'm stopping at the club hotel Marco Polo.a 4 star. I have not been to Tunisia before so will see what the people are like. The reviews I have read are mixed, about as soon as you step outside the hotel there trying to sell you stuff. If thats the case I will just book some official thomson sight seeing trips out.

I hope to still train, inbetween trying the local drinks.

The fresh drinks thing sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to hear your reports apparition.

Hope your all okay?

07/01/2013 at 11:06
Morning all, hope you're well.

I've started the Juice Master 7 day programme - so far it's been a lime and hot water and I'm on the second 'super juice', which has lime, apples, pineapple, cucumber, avocado, wheatgrass, spirulina and acidophilus powder! It's very, very green!

I'm off to the shop - I can't believe the amount of fruit and veg needed but I guess if it's all you eat for a week, it would need to be a lot! SL's house must be like a green grocer's!!
07/01/2013 at 11:39

Morning everyone   Welcome along Mr F and Cyclingnrunning, nice to meet you. Hope you had a nice birthday Mr F

Lots of nice running going on by the looks of it!  Awesome run SL, love that you did an accidental marathon!  If I'm doing a route I've not run before I now take a map with me after I went out to do a 9 miler, got lost and had to get Mr TST to come and pick me up at about 12 miles (which was still around 5 miles from home!)

Got out on Saturday and did 7.5 miles, which was hard work.  Am going to need to play about a bit with my run/walk timing I think as my knee was pretty achy after about 4 miles, although a few 'hills' probably didn't help.  Did a little 35 mintue run this morning but just pottered really as I was tired from standing around for hours yesterday marshalling the Norfolk County Cross Country Championships that my running club held this year.  Had numb feet by the end and very achy feet in the evening!

Hope the shopping goes well Apps and you've got somewhere to store it all! 

Oh, and that reminds me.  SL, what do you use to fuel yourself on your long runs?  I'm assuming you don't use the gels, but was wondering what you used instead.  I don't like the gels, they make me want to be sick so am considering how I can fuel myself on the long training runs.

07/01/2013 at 13:22

Oh, forgot to say, had put on 4lb when I saw the dietician on Friday   It was a different one this time, apparently the previous one thought some of us would benefit from seeing someone different to get a fresh view on things.  She was very nice though and had been filled in on my situation so I didn't have to spend ages catching her up.  She said it's going to be virtually impossible for me to quit the junk altogether, but with my type of personality it's also not going to be possible to go the usual route of just having one little treat at the end of the day as I'll end up binging.  So she has suggested I have an 'eat what you like' day once a week.  This would allow me to treat myself (not binge! ) and not feel bad about it, which in turn would help with the feelings of failure and depression after having an 'unauthorised' binge.  She also thinks that in the long run I will start eating normally on 'treat' day because it's allowed and so I won't crave it.  We've gone for a Saturday as I'll be doing a long run in the morning, so will be burning a lot of calories which should counterbalance some of what I'm eating and will mean I should still lose weight overall.  It'll also mean I won't need to worry about how I'm fuelling my long runs.  I feel more hopeful about this strategy than I have any other, so here's hoping this works! 

07/01/2013 at 14:20

Apps, is that the world's bigget juice detox that the juicemaster is doing for the next 7 days?  Where did you find wheatgrass and spirulina?  Be interested to hear how you get on.

Well done on the marshaling TST   Good running too.  Hope you get on ok with the new food regime.  Treat day sounds a good idea

07/01/2013 at 16:44

Thank god Monday is here as never drink during the week so Mon-Thursday should be easy enough, definitely have had a more productive Monday than normal! 

07/01/2013 at 17:22
Cinders - I'm doing the 7lbs in 7 days programme but am doing it as a detox (although the 7lbs bit would be a nice bonus!). The wheatgrass and spirulina are in powder form and I got them from Holland & Barrett - they were quite pricey but I thought this was worth a try. There's a phone app with all the schedule, recipes etc., which is really useful. I'm on my 4th pure juice of the day with one more to go and then a hot apple and cinnamon to finish off! So far so good...

Cyclingnrunning - forgot to say hello earlier. A more productive Monday has to be a good sign!

TST - it sounds like the dietician appointment was positive - it's pointless setting a plan that isn't realistic so the flexibility should be key to it working. I've joined you in the festive weight gain with half a stone since the start of December! Better hope this juice programme helps with that...

Sinbad - it sounds like Tunisia will be perfect for picking up spirits as middle-late January is always a tough time to get motivated. A couple of short runs there would be exciting!

Hope everyone else is well.
07/01/2013 at 17:55

Thanks Apps, will have a look when next in there.  I've got that app but had also signed up for the detox as I intend to do some of it.  That's the link to it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.