Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

29,981 to 30,000 of 31,403 messages
06/01/2013 at 18:03

Fantastic running SL - well impressed!  I did 5.98 miles today so am calling it 6.  It wasn't easy but I didn't quit so that's week 1 done and dusted.  About 15 more to go!

Sinbad why don't you check the results for the local parkrun?  That'll give you some idea as to how you would fit in.  From my experience it's all very positive and supportive - you're only out to improve on your time so I'd advise you to go for it.  When are you off on your hols?  I have to wait until July

Back to work tomorrow - still we all need routine right?

06/01/2013 at 23:29
It looks like great running from sinbad, SL and trigger - well done all of you!

SL - the 'accidental' marathon is the stuff of legend! Your lifestyle and hard work are clearly paying off.

Trigger - I think you're allowed to round up 5.98 to 6! I look forward to hearing your progress - there's a lot of work ahead but you seem determined!

Sinbad - when are you off on your hols? It was a good effort with the run today but I'm not sure I'd fancy the American Werefolf bit!

I'm back into work mode from tomorrow, which is fine after a lovely long break. I'm going to give the Jason Vale 7 Day Juice Programme a go from tomorrow as a detox and see where it leads. No solid meals for at least a week is scary and I've no idea how I'll get on with it but I'll report in regularly. As a starting point, shifting the 1/2 sone I put back on in Decemebr would be good...
07/01/2013 at 09:05

Hi All,

Now why didn't I think of that trigger2, checking the parkrun results. I will do that at some stage today. Sounds like your getting there at your pace with the 6 mile to.

I'm off on my holiday on the 16th till the 23rd January. I'm going to Tunisia and its all inclusive (my first all inclusive). I'm stopping at the club hotel Marco Polo.a 4 star. I have not been to Tunisia before so will see what the people are like. The reviews I have read are mixed, about as soon as you step outside the hotel there trying to sell you stuff. If thats the case I will just book some official thomson sight seeing trips out.

I hope to still train, inbetween trying the local drinks.

The fresh drinks thing sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to hear your reports apparition.

Hope your all okay?

07/01/2013 at 11:06
Morning all, hope you're well.

I've started the Juice Master 7 day programme - so far it's been a lime and hot water and I'm on the second 'super juice', which has lime, apples, pineapple, cucumber, avocado, wheatgrass, spirulina and acidophilus powder! It's very, very green!

I'm off to the shop - I can't believe the amount of fruit and veg needed but I guess if it's all you eat for a week, it would need to be a lot! SL's house must be like a green grocer's!!
07/01/2013 at 11:39

Morning everyone   Welcome along Mr F and Cyclingnrunning, nice to meet you. Hope you had a nice birthday Mr F

Lots of nice running going on by the looks of it!  Awesome run SL, love that you did an accidental marathon!  If I'm doing a route I've not run before I now take a map with me after I went out to do a 9 miler, got lost and had to get Mr TST to come and pick me up at about 12 miles (which was still around 5 miles from home!)

Got out on Saturday and did 7.5 miles, which was hard work.  Am going to need to play about a bit with my run/walk timing I think as my knee was pretty achy after about 4 miles, although a few 'hills' probably didn't help.  Did a little 35 mintue run this morning but just pottered really as I was tired from standing around for hours yesterday marshalling the Norfolk County Cross Country Championships that my running club held this year.  Had numb feet by the end and very achy feet in the evening!

Hope the shopping goes well Apps and you've got somewhere to store it all! 

Oh, and that reminds me.  SL, what do you use to fuel yourself on your long runs?  I'm assuming you don't use the gels, but was wondering what you used instead.  I don't like the gels, they make me want to be sick so am considering how I can fuel myself on the long training runs.

07/01/2013 at 13:22

Oh, forgot to say, had put on 4lb when I saw the dietician on Friday   It was a different one this time, apparently the previous one thought some of us would benefit from seeing someone different to get a fresh view on things.  She was very nice though and had been filled in on my situation so I didn't have to spend ages catching her up.  She said it's going to be virtually impossible for me to quit the junk altogether, but with my type of personality it's also not going to be possible to go the usual route of just having one little treat at the end of the day as I'll end up binging.  So she has suggested I have an 'eat what you like' day once a week.  This would allow me to treat myself (not binge! ) and not feel bad about it, which in turn would help with the feelings of failure and depression after having an 'unauthorised' binge.  She also thinks that in the long run I will start eating normally on 'treat' day because it's allowed and so I won't crave it.  We've gone for a Saturday as I'll be doing a long run in the morning, so will be burning a lot of calories which should counterbalance some of what I'm eating and will mean I should still lose weight overall.  It'll also mean I won't need to worry about how I'm fuelling my long runs.  I feel more hopeful about this strategy than I have any other, so here's hoping this works! 

07/01/2013 at 14:20

Apps, is that the world's bigget juice detox that the juicemaster is doing for the next 7 days?  Where did you find wheatgrass and spirulina?  Be interested to hear how you get on.

Well done on the marshaling TST   Good running too.  Hope you get on ok with the new food regime.  Treat day sounds a good idea

07/01/2013 at 16:44

Thank god Monday is here as never drink during the week so Mon-Thursday should be easy enough, definitely have had a more productive Monday than normal! 

07/01/2013 at 17:22
Cinders - I'm doing the 7lbs in 7 days programme but am doing it as a detox (although the 7lbs bit would be a nice bonus!). The wheatgrass and spirulina are in powder form and I got them from Holland & Barrett - they were quite pricey but I thought this was worth a try. There's a phone app with all the schedule, recipes etc., which is really useful. I'm on my 4th pure juice of the day with one more to go and then a hot apple and cinnamon to finish off! So far so good...

Cyclingnrunning - forgot to say hello earlier. A more productive Monday has to be a good sign!

TST - it sounds like the dietician appointment was positive - it's pointless setting a plan that isn't realistic so the flexibility should be key to it working. I've joined you in the festive weight gain with half a stone since the start of December! Better hope this juice programme helps with that...

Sinbad - it sounds like Tunisia will be perfect for picking up spirits as middle-late January is always a tough time to get motivated. A couple of short runs there would be exciting!

Hope everyone else is well.
07/01/2013 at 17:55

Thanks Apps, will have a look when next in there.  I've got that app but had also signed up for the detox as I intend to do some of it.  http://www.juicemaster.com/worlds-biggest-juice-detox  That's the link to it.

07/01/2013 at 23:09

Hi All,

While searching the sites and info information, I came across the foreign office website and found the whole thing there. Including this...

There is a general threat from terrorism in Tunisia. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by British expatriates and foreign travellers. See Safety and Security - Terrorism Section.

• The border with Libya is open but the security situation remains tense. There are regular clashes between groups of informal economy traders and black market traders and the authorities in towns close to the border. Border crossing points are occasionally temporarily closed without notice.

I have also found that in tourist areas there has been hotels that have been set on fire, because they sell alcohol. If I meet some woman whilst there, and had sex, and the authorities found out I and the woman can be arrested. There is also a chance of kidnap. In addition if you travel you must take copy of passport, and travel with a licensed travel agent, and or with the military and or police.

I'm more excited now, all this is right up my street, tired of boring places  I can't wait. I even have to take a letter froom the doctors explaining what the tablets are for.
Also because of of such attacks as on the American Embassy attack, and unpredicted news events, road blocks can be set up, by locals and other groups.

needless to say I won't be attempting to go running, I just hope that they have a running machine in the basic gym they have. Otherwise its swimming in the cold outdoor pool, as it weather reahes about 16 degrees.

And advice is to take comprehensive insurance out. Also I have to get a letter from doctor explainiing what the tablets are for. Finally, we are not allowed to take money into Tunisia, as you will be accused of money laundering .

Anyway what have been all your other days been like?

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 23:12
08/01/2013 at 13:22
Afternoon all.

Sinbad - just as well you don't fancy a dull holiday then! I'm sure you'll have a lovely time - are you going alone?

Cinders - I had a a look at the juice detox link - I might have done that instead of the programme I'm doing if I'd known. The principles are pretty similar but 'I've started so I'll finish!'

Halfway through day 2 of juicing and still going ok. I particularly like the warm apple and cinnamon juice to end the evening with - it's actually a good replacement for a couple of glasses of wine in terms of taste and comfort. Just done my first run of 2013 - just a slow 2 miles, which wasn't the easiest but fitness will return!
08/01/2013 at 13:53

Hi All,

Apparition, yes I'm goiing on my own, I have no friends. Well done for geetting at least of couple of miles done.

I hope tbe juice thing goes well for all that are doing it.

Well I did 10k on the treadmill in the gym this morning. The idea being is that I did 5 miles on Sunday, break Monday, the 10k is my long run this week, and using the treadmill as a base time, as the routes I am doing are a mixture of hills varying in intensity. The Manchester Marathon (im doing), only has one climb of 53 meters.

Hope yout all okay.

08/01/2013 at 19:28

Evening all!  Warm apple and cinnamon juice does sound lovely.  Hope all goes well with the juicing.  I'll just stick with SW and not drinking that'll do for me!

That's a heavy hike in the running there Sinbad - don't you apply the 10% rule to your runs?  Don't mean to be a downer but you could be heading for injury if you do too much too soon.  Would hate to see you in the same mess I was in recently.  My lsr was six miles last week and this week will be 7.  Short runs during the week of 3 or 4 miles each.  Take it carefully.

09/01/2013 at 08:25

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice trigger2. Its the 16 week program I'm following. I will be doi some sessions in the sauna tto help relax the muscles, and proper stretching in before my runs now.

Crumbs theres some serious stuff going on with this juice program.

Hope your all okay.

09/01/2013 at 10:27
Lovin this no alcohol larkey!!
09/01/2013 at 13:52

Afternoon everyone  

lol Mr F, glad you're loving being sober! 

Sounds like Tunisia could be fun Sinbad.  Personally I prefer to push myself in this country and then chill out and enjoy wherever I'm visiting when I go away!

Sounds like the juicing is going well for the rest of you   The spiced apple sound quite nice, but would seriously make me want a pint of proper cider

Well, I seem to have managed to piss off some of the serious marathoners over in the spring marathon forum   Was very upset about it earlier but am not worrying about it too much now.  Some of the posters have been really helpful and I have to ignore the ones that have been a bit nasty (in my eyes).  It's a virtual world after all and I guess not all of them would have the balls to say the same things in the real world.  At least the helpful ones outweight the others

Hope everyone is ok today.  Beautiful weather here, dry and sunny, although it's going to get a bit colder later for when I'm at running club.

09/01/2013 at 14:16

Afternoon all.

mr f

Enjoy Tunisia sinbad, what's the weather like there right now?

TST, ignore them, they aren't worth it.  Was going to add on that thread though, if you can't stomach sweet things then can you try sour ones, ie sour sweets.  Just a thought and hope you can find something to suit your tummy.

Busy here, wrapping presents and doing party bags as little C turns 5 tomorrow  He's having a party at a local play centre straight from school tomorrow!

09/01/2013 at 14:50

Hi everyone

Sinbad - lots of stretching sounds like the right way to improve without injury - it's something I've never quite got my head around, which is probably why I have and will never go beyond half marathon distance!

TST - sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with the 'serious' marathoners - what have they said to upset you? 

Day 3 of the juice plan and it's still going well - have the occasional craving for a pasta or rice dish but it will make it all the nicer next week when I re-intorduce stuff. I can't believe I'm neary halfway through a week without solid food!

yeo
09/01/2013 at 15:07

Afternoon all

Unless someone beats me to the submit button, this is the thread's 30,000th post!  Unbelievable, I think someone should juice a beetroot to celebrate.

Great going with the juicing, apps, that warm apple and cinnamon sounds lovely.

Have a great time, Sinbad. I know you need to get away from it all, I hope it does you good.

Hi everybody else, especially newbies mr f and cyclingnrunning. I'll have to think of a way of abbreviating that!

Big thing for me is my eye surgery tomorrow. Trying not to wibble too much!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.