Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,021 to 30,040 of 31,385 messages
12/01/2013 at 19:17
Hi All,

Thanks Cinders And lol and happy he is a happy a chappy with presents.

I've not run in in 4 days days now. And am frustrated, I can see myself doing some runs on the beach I hope.
I'm sure the cleaner appreciates the attention Cinders?

Glad kids seem okay.
Enjoy your weekend all.
12/01/2013 at 21:39

Better pack some trainers then sinbad   When are you off on holiday?

12/01/2013 at 22:19
Hi All,

Wednesday 0635 flight. because of trains, I will be at Manhster airport from 01.15.
13/01/2013 at 08:59
Hi All,

Just seen weather forecast. West Yorkshire is due to get snoow, at some time today. Also Mondat and possible Tuesday. I will just have to keep eye on the weather, for the weather for the train to theairport. I hink its Manchester airport that has the heated runway so should be okay.

If it snows, I will go to the gym and do 10k slow walk run on the treadmill. I maay do the same Tuesday morning but a 5k, and try and run walk on holiday,

I am in two minds weather to take my net book with me on holiday, to keep up with training and Garmin stats.

Question. I have not had a full week off from jogging since late September 2012, do any of you feel guilty in having a full week off,, with an event 4 months away?

Hope your all okay?
yeo
13/01/2013 at 09:18

Morning all

Looking at the weather forecast I'm glad I'm not going back to work for a few days, the snow looks like arriving this evening.

Good luck with your getaway, Sinbad. As you're going to Manc by train you should be ok, and the airport is pretty efficient.

I'm the wrong person to ask about non-running guilt, as I'm not a regular runner (yet!), but yes I think feeling guilty about missing a week is normal. But don't worry, you don't slip back a week in your fitness level, and the important thing is you're bouncing back again!

Enjoy your holiday, you deserve it

13/01/2013 at 10:13
Hi All,

Thanks for that Yeo. I'm glad your relaxing and not about to do battle with the snow.

I have been looking at what the hotel has to offer, they have a Turkish bath within the hotel. I know I will probable have to pay for it, but I don't mind as there so relaxing. Just hope there open as its out of season.
enjoy all.
13/01/2013 at 16:09
Hi All,

Cor blimey its quiet. Must be family Sunday lunch.

Well I have made a pact with myself. Somehow I will do the 16 week marathon program, on the Manchester arathon web site. It will mean being single bloody minded, but I'm determined to follow it. Even if it means walking the new distance after jogging walking the firrst five miles.

I will be at te hotel by lunchtime, and will see if I'm entitled to that meal. Then unpack and go for a run, then and Thursday, thats when the smaller distancs are done.
Hope your all having a pleasent Sunday?
13/01/2013 at 17:47

Lol, can't remember our last family Sunday lunch

Just remember to have a holiday too sinbad, relax and enjoy yourself.

13/01/2013 at 17:56
Hi All,
Ow I intend to have a relaxing holiday, with hopefully my last booze till at least after the marathon (I hope).
Cinders no family lunch. I thought it was traditional.

Er I have lost my smiley faces. How do I get them back?

Once again I will try and get up that dammed hill. Its that steep drivers have to put their foot down to get up the the hill.
Hope your all okay, and ready for some snow, in parts of Britain.
Edited: 13/01/2013 at 17:57
13/01/2013 at 19:34

Not sure re the smileys I'm afraid.

Ah well, we had a bbq for xmas day.  Make your own traditions I say   I like food but think too much focus is made of it, time better spent doing other things

No snow here yet.

13/01/2013 at 23:17
Hi All,

Wish we had bbq Cinders, but we did have a choice of Lamb Chicken or Pork, so that wasn't too bad.

yes I must agree, Make your own traditions. I once travelled round Spain Portugal and Morocoo over five weeks. In Morrocoo I went from Tangiers, to Casablanca Marakesh, Spent a very old night in the Atlas mountains, then spent a couple of nights in the Sahara desert on Christmas Eve. It was amazing, I slept outside under the stars, and froze even though I had all my lothes on, in a sleeping bag with camel rugs al over me.

What made it even better was, that not one of tweleve people even mentioned the fact it was Christmas Eve. I only remembered when I was in Malaga, when someone reminded me it was New Years Eve.

Hope your all okay?

P.S. I looked outside, it looks like we have had a light covering of snow.
14/01/2013 at 08:57
Hi All,

The weather forecast for West Yorkshire is more snow.

No running outside, my tickets have still not arrived. Probable at the shop, then off to gym.

Hope you all okay?
14/01/2013 at 13:02

Afternoon all

we woke to a light covering of snow too - brrrrrrrrr, I really don't like the cold at all 

Hubby did roast beef, yorkshire puds and all the trimmings yesterday - and very nice it was too.  Unfortunately the cold weather just makes me want to eat stodgy food.  I'll make myself a nice big jug of orange juice to make up for it.

I felt really sluggish on my run in the South Downs on Saturday morning, put it down to big hills and trying to keep up with a much faster good looking younger man   It was obviously a cold setting in and I haven't stopped sneezing and snuffling since and today I feel really rubbish.  I wanted to go back to bed but couldn't   I didn't feel well enough to run yesterday or today, hoping to feel better tomorrow but might just leave running till the weekend - I've done the bulk of the training now - would like to have got a few more runs in but it would be daft to go out when I'm not feeling well and totally knacker myself with only 3 weeks to go....... 

Hope you all have a good day whether you like the snow or not........

14/01/2013 at 13:38

Afternoon all   Glad Buttons is better now and enjoyed opening his pressies!  We had a Sunday roast yesterday, but we rarely have a big meal at lunchtime.  Never even did when I was a kid, always had a roast but at tea time as everyone was out doing stuff in the day.  I stick the meat in on a really low heat and let it cook all day and then it comes out yummy and fall apart

Just relax and enjoy your holiday Sinbad, think of it as pre-preparation for getting right back into you training schedule when you get back as it will put you in a good frame of mind.  As Yeo says, you're not going to lose loads of fitness in a week and if you do some walking and stuff while you're there then you'll be fine.

Can't think of anything I'd rather be chasing than a good looking younger man with a nice pert butt SL, it would just intice me to be a bit slower!   Hope your cold goes soon, and a few days rest getting over it would probably be the best thing.

Glad you can see better now Yeo, must be fantastic for you

Sprinkling of snow here at the moment, we are due a lot more this evening and it's been trying on and off during the day.  At least I didn't have to go out in it this morning after my bloody awful run on Saturday, so every cloud and all that!  Knee started playing up after 4 miles (as usual) but quickly got worse this time and by 5.5 miles I had to take the decision to walk the rest of it.  Just before 8 miles I had to cross a pedestrian bridge over the A11 and that just totally buggered it up, was limping by the time I got over it and called Mr TST nearly in tears to get him to pick me up as I still had a mile or so to go to get home.  I said I'd carry on slowly while he drove round as I would have got cold standing waiting, and a lovely chap ran up behind me and asked if I was ok.  He only lived up the road and would have given me a lift home if Mr TST hadn't been on his way.  Right cheered me up he did, he was training for Hell Runner, which really is a nut job's race!

My running coach has advised no running or sports that will impact on my knee all week, so doesn't look like I'll be doing much this week.  Might do a walk on Wednesday and then will swim on Thursday.  The thing that frustrates me is that it only hurts when I run, I get no problems with boxing or circuits, and it pretty much only hurts when I'm actually running.  It was a little niggly on Saturday afternoon, but I felt fine yesterday, it's really doing my head in   Am seeing the physio again on Thursday, so will have another chat with her and see what she thinks.  I have one more set of run/walking to try (run 2, walk 3) on Saturday and if that still plays my knee up then I've made the decision that I will walk the VLM.  I can't keep pushing it as I could end up really injured and it's obviously liking it less this time than it did the week before, so it's obviously trying to tell me something.  I'll have to wait and see what happens. 

My first week of eating properly Sunday to Friday and have what I like on Saturday went well   Was pretty bad on Saturday and did have a pretty big binge, but as I said to Mr TST I think it's the novelty factor of being allowed it.  I'm sure as I get into more of a routine with it then I'll get it under control and not have much.  I worked through the calories for the week and even accounting for Saturdays binge I should (in theory) still have lost just

yeo
14/01/2013 at 15:28

Afternoon

SL, yes you should definitely be in non-knackering mode now, you've done the miles, great if you can get a few more plods in, but don't fret if you can't. Getting yourself to the startline in one piece is the priority now. Oh, and the finish line!

Sorry about your buggered knee, TST, but you WILL get round VLM, even if you crawl it!

It's difinitely white out there, so I'm glad I'm not going anywhere today. I've phoned both my bosses and told them I hope to be back in the day centre/cafe on Friday and back to the domiciliary next week, assuming the consultant gives me the go ahead when I see him on Thursday.

14/01/2013 at 15:34
Hi All,

lol with the pair of you eyeing up th younger runners, what about my age group lol?

I wish it was worth it me cooking a Sunday Luncch, but would cost too much to cook from scratch, I think I will buy a cooked chicken and do it that way when I get back.

SL is it the Pilgrims ultra your doing, and if so how far is it?

TST sorry to hear your still having injury problems, stick at it though. Glad the eating well has worked well for you this week.

I didn't fancy running in the snow this morning, so I did 5k on the treadmill at the gym, I did it in 49.37 minutes, slower than what I do on the road with the hillls!!

Apparently the booking reference I need is what I had when they printed all the details off, when its a late booking now so that worry is sorted.

As for the snow, I think its a storm in a tea cup, in West Yorshire, its clear sunny skies now. The problem tonight will be ice, but on the local news the councils say there ready to grit the roads, so I don't think I will need to worry when I catch the 22.00 bus Tuesday night to the train station.

I hear you all with the running on holiday. Yet I think I would like to do at least three runs whilst there. Just to keep at least he 5 milr distance goining. Wish you could see the size of the outdoor pool, its huge, and they also have a smaller indoor pool to, I will see how cold the outdoor pool and see if I can do a couple of lengths in it, if not too cold.

Wish I could get my smily faces bak.

Hope your all ok?
14/01/2013 at 15:40

no sunday lunch for me yesterday, but mrs AG did a nice chili con carne last night, which i wolfed down after 14 slow but steady miles up and down the thames.

hope you have a fun holiday sinbad, don't put too much pressure on yourself to train whilst you're over there, but relax and if you feel like doing a bit, then go for it. i guess the trick is learn to enjoy it, so it's a pleasure not a chore. easier said than done, especially in this weather. i suspect your weather will be a bit nicer than ours though

bummer about the knee TST, if cross training, like cycling or swimming, is an option for you it would be a great way to maintain and improve your cardio fitness in the lead up to VLM. It's not the same as running in terms of prep, but it's better than nothing, and will give you confidence that you'll be able to make it round. a lot of sheer bloody-mindedness on the day will do the rest

14/01/2013 at 16:36

Good running there AG and yum to the chilli

I have pool envy sinbad, I love swimming.  Who are you flying with, you don't have to pre print your boarding card etc do you? 

Boo to the knee TST.  Can you aqua jog?

Snow just about melted here, it's now raining.  Was a shock to see it this morning as we usually get a token flake!

14/01/2013 at 16:59
Hi All,

It's between 14 and 18 degrees daaytime time, night doesn't drop below 11 degree's at night.

I'm flying with Thomson Cinders.

I will try a run when I get there (wishfull thinking), if anything to wake myself up as I will be travelling from 10pm to get to the airport.

Its not so much that there's no trains running through the night, its the fact that the taxi's finish at about 1pm and at latest 2am. I don't want to take risk of anything going wrong with the trains.Hence why I will be at airport by 1am.

I will be insame posisition as AG in Greece I think it was? whereby there won't be much to do except eat and drink, one of the reasons why I want to try and at least do some runs.

AG chilli concarnie hhhmmm envious, good to come home from a run, and have lovely food to come home to.

Hope your all okay?
14/01/2013 at 21:50

I can't eat chilli these days with the Crohn's - it just isn't worth the pain and - ahem- after effects......

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.