Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,081 to 30,100 of 31,422 messages
28/01/2013 at 11:27

Morning everyone

Welcome along Catboy and Mr_O JR   Well done on losing the weight as well Catboy, I've put on 1.5st since quiting 14 months ago as I just appear to have moved my binging from from booze to food (although apparently it's not that uncommon to do that). 

Have you banned yourself from all pizza Mr O, or just the takeaway type?  You can make some lovely homemade ones with much nicer toppings than the dodgy ones you get down the local takeaway!

I had a girlie night in on Friday with some of the girls at my running club.  It was my coach's birthday so a few of us were invited for the evening for a little Wii dance competition!   It was fun, but unlike SL and Mr O, it only serves to remind me how much I miss it when I'm around people that are drinking.  Maybe that's because when I go out these days it's with people who don't drink as much as I did so I don't see them totally hammered, falling over and repeating themselves, they just get drunk enough to have a good time.  Still, at least I went as tend to avoid going out these days unless I have to.

Also had a good chat with my coach about my knee, and basically she's advised that I walk the VLM and has also banished me from running club until May, in the nicest possible way of course!   She thinks I need to keep working with the physio to sort it out and if the physio is right that it seems to be the jolting of running which is making it worse then it's best to just do walking at the moment as running in the week is probably causing a knock on effect to my long sessions on a Saturday.  It's disappointing and will take a few days to properly get my head round, but deep down I know I have to do what is right in the long term. 

28/01/2013 at 14:04
Hi All,

Sorry to hear that TST, perhaps you can walk really fast, but not actually run?

Well I just heard that my my delivery won't be today, and it's due to the weather, and vehicle breakdown. The second I just don't know about as its the post office delivery, that can come at any time of the day. It's annoying as I'm trying to get into some form of routine with training.

I wish there was something I could do to or post to help TST?
28/01/2013 at 15:39
Hi All,

Dam Amozon! they have sent me a garmin replaement for a ladies Garmin Forerunner 10 I'm fuming.

I don't have a printer so I can't off a label to return, and I'm confused as to follow their returns instructions, sending me back and forth.
28/01/2013 at 19:00

Evening All

Cheers for the welcome folks, it's been a while since I have posted on here

@TST - Sorry to hear that your knee is giving you grief... can you do swimming as a low impact alternative? I have only banned myself from takeaway pizzas, so a homemade one sounds like a great idea!

@Sinbad - I think you've been had by a dummy company posing as Amazon? :-P I guess if you can get in touch with the company it might help? Post Office delivery should go to a depot if they can't deliver it to you...

28/01/2013 at 19:55

That sounds really annoying sinbad, no contact details at all?

Hi Mr-OJR and welcome from me too

TST, sorry to hear about the knee.  Do you know anyone else doing VLM to get round with?

SL, are you ok, saw on FB you weren't feeling well.

28/01/2013 at 22:33

Evening all

I've been gettting lots of dizzy spells over the past couple of days Cinders, I think it's just my ears and I'm all congested etc.  I've been so tired all last week - bordering on proper fatigue but it was probably just this kicking in.  I'm feeling a bit better today - yesterday night I felt like I'd been boozing all day and was staggering around when I stood up or felt I was going to fall on  my  head if I bent down!

I'd be inclined to listen to the physio before the coach TST, anyhow, doesn't matter if you walk it.  It's still a fantastic occassion 

29/01/2013 at 09:19
Hi All,

Mr_OJR it's definitely an Amozon product, it came in their packaging. I rang their customer support, and found a black Garmin battery charger, but had to get to it via a link. I just hope this one is the right one when I get it. It's going back to Scotland their returns base, they just have poor information about them both and finding the right one you need.

Cinder's I went onto the live chat, and explained the problem and all I have to do now, is go to library, print off their return details, and I will use the package they delivered it to return it's time confusing, and I'm losing time as I'm not getting out training.

SL be careful, if it continues get yourself to the doc's. I'm a bit concerned for you with the dizzy spells. You may be trying to hard training, and staying with your diet your that you haave to keep. Be careful.
29/01/2013 at 09:39
Hi All,

This is when I want to get out for a beer.
I usually just get so angry with myself I go for a beer, feel lousy the next day, and pick myself up the day after.

Looks like a second when of no training so far, time is passing on I know it won't take long to catch up by training most days, its just a pain having to wait in for delieveries, and want ting to get to my boat also.

Hope your all okay. SL keep us informed of how your feeling please.
29/01/2013 at 10:40
Hi All,

By eki thump, I want to get drunk. But trying really hard not to. I know exactly whats happenning thats pushing me to get drunk, but that only delays the job that you have no choice to do, until time runs out and have to do them.

I lost a lengthy post by accidentally catching a key lucky you all lol.

I really don't want to get drunk, its just what I'm so used to doing, when in situations like these (waiting for deliveries as above), it all goes back to my abuse as a kid. Some of the regulars my know about the abuse.

Every time tere is a chance to slowly change this I binge drinking, as I want to now. Growl ow er.

Hope all okay.
29/01/2013 at 11:17

Morning everyone

SL - Hope you are feeling better today.  The coach is really just confirming what the physio has already been saying, just waiting for the actual 'you really need to walk London' words from the physio when I go on Thursday morning.

Sinbad - hope you managed to stay off the booze last night.  Why don't you go out and run anyway?  You know how far your routes are and you can just check the time on the clock before you go out and when you come back.  Sometimes what you need is a few sessions without all the technology to take a bit of pressure off yourself and remember why you're doing it in the first place   Or maybe to go the gym and do a few miles on the treadmill?

Therapy/counselling tomorrow, then physio on Thursday so really turning out to be a stressful week for me

29/01/2013 at 12:38
Hi All,

Thanks for that TST. I'm hoping to go for a walk instead of a run at some stage today, even a walk if its dark just to see how much light I have. The route I do is only llight by the rd opposite from the pavement. It will prove interesting in the dark.

Keep trying TST you love running, and you will in time get back to it.

I think I'm panicing about going back to my boat, I don't have any friends there, but I'm determined to get back to going, I miss her badly.

I've not gone to the pub and drinking, I'm staying in, the worst part of day over with.

I hate pts, its just so dammed hard to control. And your dammed if you tell people about the abuse, and if you don't either way people just can't comprehend what you survived and push you away.

There's no point in going to another harbour as pts will just happen there, but I just don't want to force myself there, as I know that people will just be nasty or indifferent to me.

I'm waiting for a call from my psychologist. I just stop drinking,as most of my episodes (not all though) centre around booze.

Hope all okay.
29/01/2013 at 12:39

Hi Folks - thanks for your concerns, the dizzyness is a bit better today but woke up with a blinding migraine instead so took a magic pill and stayed in bed till 10.30 instead.  Still feeling woozy (the pill knocks me out) so just taking it easy.  I haven't run since last wednesday Sinbad - haven't felt well since then.

Hope you managed to stay off the booze sinbad - as TST said, you can go for a run anytime - you don't need to know how far or how fast all the time - just enjoy a run.

Hope it goes well at therapy tomorrow and fingers crossed for the physio's kind words.    If she says walk then at least you've time to get your head round it before the day itself. xxx

Hope everyone is ok today x

29/01/2013 at 14:38
Hi All,

TST comments have been noted SL.I hope you get back into training soon to SL. I wnder if it is the post Christmas blues, and trying to get back into training?

I have just seen the weather outlook for this weekend in Yorkshire. There's snow on Saturday with sleet on Sunday. There's meant to another warm front mmoving in again from Monday.

So I won't go now till next week, not because of being of people, but because I have stayed on boat with snow etc before, it gets dam cold, and no heating on her either.

Yet today its like a spring day today 13 degrees.

Thanks for letting me ppost away, it has really helped today. Yet I expect it going to get somewhat harder before it gets better.
29/01/2013 at 16:50

Training, what's that? 

Are you still ok for the weekend SL?  How is HTF, not heard from her for a while.

sinbad, hope you get the order sorted soon.  Can't you just go out anyway, without the Garmin?

29/01/2013 at 18:04
Hi All,

well Cinder's SL and TST have suggested that. But its become such a big part of my life im lost without it lol.

Well I finally got round to tidying my bedroom up (its been a mess since holiday), and would u Adam and Eve it I found the one I thought I had lost. But I'm glad I buying another one though, as I'm forever losing things, it will be a good back up.

I said I would go out for at least a 3k walk, and im off out now. Even though its pitch black, and raining with gale force winds.

Hope your all okay?

Watch me just be out for 10 mins lol.
29/01/2013 at 19:51
Hi All,

And I start with a wo ho. I did my 5k and in places got blown all over the place. I fast walked the first 2k, but and are you ready for this. From the base of my steep hill I can't get up, Well I finally made it tonight, I'm smiling like a cheshire cat, wish i had faces. My actual moving time on my Garmin was 49.27 or thereabouts. I'm just pleased after such a horrible day I feel I can give you something positive from me, instead of doom and gloom all the time.

I'm here for you all to though
30/01/2013 at 11:21

Well done for getting out Sinbad

I'll be ok for the weekend Cinders - I think the fatigue last week was all part of this lurgy so it should be on it's way out now.  I feel better again today - a bit woozy from the migraine as usual but just taking it easy and relaxing.  HTF is fine too, chatted to her the other day and she's had a bit of a wobble because she hasn't managed to get in as much training as she'd like but we've said we'll walk as much of it as we have to but we'll be there

30/01/2013 at 11:51

Morning, just.  Went back to bed after droppping Thomas off.  Feel very .

What time does it start on Saturday SL?  Hope you both do fab

30/01/2013 at 16:39

I think me & HTF start at 9am - it's staggered for walkers,normal  runners and 'elite' runners

30/01/2013 at 17:13
Hi All,

Hope you Sl and HFT ejoy the Pilgrims marathon immensley keep us informed.

SL I have tried to ask before and looked at their web site, but can you please tell me the distance of the run.
SL I'm also glad your feeling a lot better.
Hope HFT is as well.
Cinder's hope you feel better soon to.

Wo ho my replacement Garmin lead has just arrived it fits and is working perfectly.

I went took the risk of going shopping after 1pm today, and to be honest the wind if anything is stronger than yesterday, the trunks off trees are actually bending over as well as the branches. So I dare not take risk of ging out tonight, I love wind and rain, but will go to the gym tomorrow after the postman has been, hopefully with tshirt. I will do 8.2k on treadmill depending on weather.

Glad your as ready as possible for Piligrims SL HFT.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.