Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,101 to 30,120 of 31,557 messages
31/01/2013 at 18:38

I don't have a smart phone so won't be able to post anything but HTF has and I'm sure she'll post something to keep you informed.

It's 33 miles each way Sinbad so 66 in total - though it could be a bit longer or shorter depending on what line you take or if you get lost etc.  It's off road so can vary quite a bit if you wander off the exact measured route.  I've looked on Garmin and seen that others have done it in as little as 31.5 miles each way up to 34!

31/01/2013 at 23:15
I'm off to Rugby to see mum tomorrow so best of luck to you SL and HTF. Look forward to hearing how you get on
Edited: 31/01/2013 at 23:15
01/02/2013 at 12:01

Hope it all goes well over the weekend SL and HTF, although I'm sure you'll do fantastically!   I've got a 12 mile walk tomorrow so I'll be thinking of you while I'm out on that and probably be quite glad I'm only doing 12 miles!!

Saw the therapist on Wednesday and she has decided that the changing your thinking way they usually use for cognative behavioural therapy wasn't working for me as some of the stuff is ingrained since childhood so we are going to try and alter my behaviour as eventually the thinking will follow suit.  It takes a lot longer but for some people it's a better way to do it.  She's also given me the address of a website who can help with my eating disorder (I'm a binge eater, what a suprise!).  Physio is happy with my progress, albeit that it's slow, and has swopped some of the exercises as I was using the wrong muscles so that was hindering my progress.  She has also ok'ed the fitness walking I am going to use for training in future; it's not that silly wiggly hips speed walking, but it will make me faster and will really work my core and glutes, which I'm having problems with.  Feel much more positive about the VLM now

Oh, and next Saturday I'm getting my hair cut and coloured and I've got the go-ahead from the doctor to throw myself out of a plane sometime at the beginning of July with a friend of mine!   And if doing a parachute jump doesn't teach me to have faith in myself then nothing will!

01/02/2013 at 14:17

hello all, my dry january didn't quite work out that way, but i totalled 39 units in Jan, compared with an average 105 units per month for the last few months of 2012, so i'll hopefully continue this moderation throughout the year (esp throughout my spring marathon prep).

your parachute jump sounds fun TST, it's something i'd quite like to have a go at some day.

01/02/2013 at 15:25
Hi All,

thats some distance your both doing SLand HFT, I hope the weather holds up for you both.

TST I have done a parachute jump, not the one where you freefall with the professional strapped to you. But the old WW2 round parachutes, you will love the experience.

AG nice going with the units and beer.

I got legless Thursday. Why? I got the date through for me to see the Job Adviser at the job centre. I paniicked went for beer instead of trying to work out how I felt.

I have only been out for a run on the treadmill once this week, and non outside. Although I'm panicing somewhat, I'm going to try and push me from the end goal. The weather really hasn't helped, we have have had nearly 5 days of rain and gale to severe gale force winds.

I'm going to try and switch from getting up having fresh juice and then going for a run in the mornining, to running in the evenning, either before or after tea, it felt better, and my time for 5k seemed a little faster to.

I'm just annoyed at myself for getting legless.
02/02/2013 at 08:05
Best wishes this weekend SL and HTF - ultra respect to both of you! I have to go back several years to remember running 66 miles in a month, let alone in one race and 2 days! Thinking about the 2 of you taking on this challenge serves as a reminder of the positive journey you've both had with booze too. Obviously our thread meanders in all directions but when a monumental running task is undertaken by people who are doing well in their relationship with alcohol, us booze threaders should be proud and inspired...I certainly am!
yeo
02/02/2013 at 08:29

Well said, apps, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Hope everybody has a great weekend, especially our ultr-girls!

02/02/2013 at 08:29

I echo Apparition's comments above - well done to everyone and keep it up.

02/02/2013 at 09:09
Go SL and HTF
02/02/2013 at 15:06
Hi All,

I echo the post of Apparition. MR_OJR took the words out of my mouth ow er.

Well I went to gym this morning, didn't fancy running in the coldtoday.

I managed to do my first 10k on the treadmil in an 1 hour 38. I can build on that now. I will have only lost 3 miles after doing 3 miles on Sunday.

Anyone know how the ladies are doiing?

Hope your all okay?
yeo
02/02/2013 at 23:43

For those who haven't heard, SL and HTF have safely made it to half way

02/02/2013 at 23:52
Yay. Great going SL and HTF
03/02/2013 at 10:29
Hi All,

Greatt news.
03/02/2013 at 11:27
Morning.

Hope all going ok with SL and HTF

Still at mums but home later so will drop in when home.
03/02/2013 at 13:42

Afternoon folks

Pleased to say we both made the first 33 miles fine - very muddy and very slow but we did it.  Jayne started off this morning but I had to pull out- I've done something horrible to my toe and it's killing me.  It's a real shame as my legs are in good shape and weren't hurting at all this morning - seizing up a bit now though.   

I've spoken to Jayne this afternoon, she was about 4 miles from check point 3 so doing really well. I on the other hand have one warm foot in a sock and slipper and one cold one as even a loose sock is hurting but unlike Jayne I've had a lovely warm bath and hubby cooked me a full english 

I've copied my fb post below:

First Ultramarathon completed - 33 of the muddiest, steepest and hilliest miles I've ever run.
Had to pull out of day 2 (the 2nd 33 miles) as have nobbled my toe - doesn't sound too bad but it's twice the size it should be, a mixture of red and blue colours and the bone is bruised so will finish this particular job next year. Jayne started this morning so will almost certainly finish - she's a star

I'm a bit miffed as I was wearing tried and tested shoes and socks so can only assume that each time the really gooey mud tried to trap me and pull my shoe off it loosened the lace so my foot was moving and hitting the front during the decents. It hurts like hell and have got to wait now for the toenail to come off

03/02/2013 at 14:13
Hi All,

Ouch wouldn't like to be in your shoes SL ow er.

Its sad that you have to pull out. yet as you said its a challenge for you to keep taining for next year, with the possibility of further ultra runs throughout the year?

I managed my 5k today, moving time on Garmin 47.34, am quite pleased with that.

At least It gives me a chance to catch up with you all.

Hope the injuries heals quickly SL keep us informed as best you can on HTF is getting on please.
yeo
03/02/2013 at 15:32

SL, I've congratulated you elsewhere, but I've no qualms about doing it again Congratulations!

It's a measure of your achievement that you're disappointed in doing 'only' 33 miles! And we all know that if it hadn't been for your dodgy toe you'd've joined HTF in doing the whole 66.

That's a good run, sinbad, you're showing real progress.

I saw my consultant last Thursday, and he decided to drain my eye a bit more.  This he did by prodding it hard with what looked like a cotton bud, which was about as much fun as it sounds   However the result is that I can now see much better, and it feels better too.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 15:32
03/02/2013 at 19:38
Hi All,

I agree with Yeo with regards n how you feel with injury.

Thanks for that Yeo. I'm trying. I hope to build up the distance with one increased run by a miles between one mile once to weeks (if that made sense).

Ouch, about the eyes Yeo. Hope your eyes continue to improve as quickly and as painless as possible.

How is the cafe and other Project going Yeo? I hope you can if not already back into training to Yeo.
05/02/2013 at 13:57
Hi All,

Well I had gym kit in my bag, I got into town, and ended up getting drunlk. Athough I'm sober now, the weather has struck big time. It was a big storm we had here last night, thunder lightnning and snow (its snowing again as I make this post. You may see some of our bad weather on the news.

I'm annoyed I got drunk, its isolation. I know a couple of people that drink at 10am, so I got drunk with them for part of the day then wandered around on my own after that.

I'm going to my boat in Scarborough Wednesday, we have had nearly two weeks of storms, and I need to check uo on her, and to resume and finish of renovating her. Just the beds and navigation lights to finish now.

The hotel (the Grand) has a fully equipped gym, so I'm hoping it has a treadmill. so I will do my four runs Wednesday in the gym, not the best solution, but is the bestt I can do.

How did HFT do overall on the 2nd day? SL how is the injury?

Hope your all okay?
05/02/2013 at 15:07

I'm impressed with your 33 miles sunluvva

and good work getting out for your 5k sinbad. good plan to run on the dreadmill, it's not ideal, but given the weather it's better than the alternative of not running at all, right.

Thankfully my marathon prep is on target. was a bit worried on sunday after my LSR because my left achilles was a bit tight and sore, but i took an ibuprofen and it was fine by monday morning. i have a tempo run tonight. 10 miles from work to home, with 5 miles at half-marathon pace. it's a little windy here, but not as bad as the weather in some parts, so I should be ok.

Keep it up people

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.