Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,121 to 30,140 of 31,387 messages
05/02/2013 at 16:03

hi all

I had a sports massage yesterday - all I can say is OUCH   She said she was hardly touching me but it still hurt quite a bit.  It's much better today - mostly my right calf but has been getting easier as the day wore on.  

Weather's not too bad her Sinbad, maybe getting away to your boat will make you feel a bit better inside so you won't feel the need to drink.  

Ouch to being poked in the eye Yeo but pleased to hear it helped.  

HTF finished about 6pm on the Sunday night - blistered and bloodied feet but rightly chuffed with herself - I think she's amazing, I didn't want to totally knacker my feet on my first ultra - I didn't want to be put off doing another one 

05/02/2013 at 16:20

Ouch all round... ouch to sports massages, poked in the eye, HTF's feet and AG's achilies!

Well done again though HTF and SL, fab going

Glad to hear your prep on track AG

05/02/2013 at 17:56

Hi Cinders - how was your weekend with mum - any visits to A&E 

05/02/2013 at 19:59

Lol no, not this time  

06/02/2013 at 10:46

Pleased to hear it Cinders 

Feeling like I could manage a run today but am so busy I'll probably have to leave it till tomorrow - we'll see.

Hope everyone's ok - I know it's snowy in some places but at the moment it's still sunny here - fingers crossed it stays like that!

06/02/2013 at 12:16

10miles home last night. 3mi warmup, 5mi at half-mara pace, and 2mi cooldown.

considering i'd totally bonked around 3pm yesterday and didn't thinki'd have the energy to lace up my shoes i'm pleased with how it went. not sure if the afternoon energy crash was in my head or not, or a sugar crash after my lunch, but i'd eaten a decent lunch of slow burning carbs and some protein and lots of veg. and i'd been snacking on fruit throughout the day. perhaps just tired from all this running.

managed my 4mile recovery run into work this morning feeling ok.

going for a swim with the missus tonight. only 1 unit of booze in feb so far, a small vodka and orange on saturday night. sleep's been a bit erratic, been having nightmares over the last week, which is odd. suppose just a lot going on, maybe my mind needs some outlet for it.

07/02/2013 at 09:28
Hi All,

AG well done with the booze.

Hope you get out for a run soon SL.

Hi Cinders hope all is okay with you and your family.

Well I managed 9.75k this morrning, call it 10k ow er. It took me just under 2hrs, not even a 7.5hrs marathon. BBut course again in places (thats Yorkshire for you).

I was out at 06.30 this morning, jogging along the sea front, whilst the sun was coming up, and watching for the ice, only nearly went over once.

AG. restlessnes and nightmares I feel is part of coming off booze. Your mind is working overtime, trying to work out how to cope without booze.

Thats my theory probable wrong.

I had breakfast looking out to a windy sea.

Hope your all okay.
07/02/2013 at 17:48

Breakfast looking out to sea sounded nice sinbad.  Been very windy here too, had trouble getting out the car along yesterday.  Thomas' school is right on the sea front!

Good run there AG, how was the swim?

Did you run SL?

I'm still struggling with fatigue and tiredness.  It's been so long now I think I might have to go and see the Dr.

08/02/2013 at 12:29
Hi All,

I'm backtracking now, SL I'm glad I don't need a physio yet.

SL the boat alaways makes me feel I don't need to drink. I've not even felt like having booze. I had a falling out with a friend who I subbing cash to over summer to help me with jobs on her. He called it makes rates. But only really helped me out twice, over the whole summer. I got (excuse language) pissed over after subbing him ??10 and then to charge me more for fixing my engine.

Its that what made me start drinking heavily again. I told him how I felt twice asking him to not charge me mates rates, so I knew where I stood. He declined, I finally snapped, and rather than talk to him I texted how I felt. In return he told me noone liked me and that I should sell boat and fuck off back to where I came.

I honestly don't know how to cope with people friends or others like him. I run away from situations like this, and takes me ages to return, whether work or play. Longest time I have had a job down is one year.

Anyway enough bad talk. I'm spending the Saturday morning working on my boat. I did 4.56 miles spped walking this morning, from and back to my boat, I had walked from hotekl to my boat, but didnt time it. Thats about a mile. My calf muscle started hurting this morning, so having a day off Saturday.

It sounds like a good idea going to DR Cinder's, its better to be saffe than sorry.
08/02/2013 at 18:10

Well done on your run and walk Sinbad, always lovely being by the sea or any water body for that matter.  good idea to rest up if the legs hurting.

Sounds like you need to get a blood test done Cinders, make sure you're not aneamic (sp?).   

Fantastic running there AG, hope you enjoyed the swim.  Great going on the booze (or lack of) too 

I got out for about 6.5 miles yesterday.  It was really really tough, much more so than I thought it would be.  My toe's not hurting so much, the swellings gone down lots and it's now just a nice shade of purple!

09/02/2013 at 09:06
Hi All,

Yes good runnning AG.

SL sounds good about the injury, and glad you got out for some form of a run.

I don't have any windows in my room, (??23 a night), I struggled to get to sleep, but it was only people getting a shower that I woke up lol.

I promised myself to work on my boat this morning, but I feel so tired that I'm just going to sit in one of my beauty spots and chill.

The sun is out for a change.

SL were English and an Island. At some point or other we all had ancestors connected to the sea, perhaps thats why we all feel relaxed by the sea at times.

Hope your all okay.
09/02/2013 at 14:01
Hi All,

Hope your all okay? What busy lifes you seem to have.

Well it wasn't a training session, but I walked down to the harbour and came back up a steep hill, instead of catching the bus up, and had the best fish and chips in ages. I ended up pulling 6 buckets of bilge water from the cockpit. Shows you just how much rain we have had.

Enyoy your weekend all.
09/02/2013 at 16:46

Afternoon

No busy life here sinbad, just not been on. Fish and chips sounded nice

Apparently we are due some more snow!

10/02/2013 at 15:43
Hi All,

AG I'm jealous of the distances your doing.

As I have stated, I don't work, but I'm using running to try and build up some form of daily routine. I tried trainning as and when I felt like it, but found myself putting it off day after day.

Big question about distance.

I am finding the hills a big help, for instance running 6 miles in Scarborough with few problems. But I have found that when I'm increasing the distance (weekly), my overall distance for the week suffers. For instance 15 miles last week, but this week just 10.5.

Is this someting I need to worry about?

I must stress the distance seems to be building on individual runs, but not increasing over the whole week.

I'm jealous of you living by the sea Cinder's. I should never have come back up North from Plymouth. I came back for a lady and her kids, it didn't work out alas, they couldnt cope with pts bpd.

For those in this thread. who are happily married fionce etc. Never just use this one day a year to show your love and determination for you to stay together as a team, in your loving rtelationship. The grass is never greener on the other side.

I lost two ladies I love dearly to this day. Show that love you share in any way you both can. Enjoy all your Valantines day. That's my attempt to show support for you all.
10/02/2013 at 20:38

Hi All,

Way hey I got my emicons back

10/02/2013 at 22:30
Evening everyone, I hope you're all well.

sinbad - it must be hard when people who matter so much to you can't cope with your health conditions. You have to live with pts and bpd everyday so it must be more difficult than I can imagine for these elements of who you are to have such an impact on your life. Your boat project sounds great but I imagine it's hard work. If I lived nearby I'd offer you a hand as doing a bit of outdoor work does appeal to me, although not always when it comes to keeping my garden tidy!

SL - I hope your feet are recovering from last weekend - the fact that you did a 6.5m run suggests they are! I have to say that I am more than a little bit in awe of you and HTF for your achievements recently.

AG - you're becoming another very inspirational contributor to the thread - it seems like you're running well and have a good level of control over your booze intake. That's what we all aspire towards here and I hope I'll step up and join you some day soon.

I hope everyone else is good.
11/02/2013 at 07:58

Hi All,

Thanks for that apparition. It just gets hard being on your own at times.

Its been snowing again last night, a light covering of snow on the ground.

It means I can't get out for a run, and no money to get to the gym, so it may be Wednesday before I get out. I'm panicking now with lack of milage.

But glad people are getting out for thier runs though.

Keep at it people.

Hope all ok

11/02/2013 at 15:02

Morning campers. Hope the grim weather isn't putting everyone off their running. I enjoyed my swim last week, Wednesday night i think it was, or Thursday I can't remember. Anyway, another few laps unaided for me (which is a big deal, as i've always been a poor swimmer, and have a bit of anxiety about being in the water, but i'm slowly learning to relax into it).

I had a 7mile recovery jog planned for Friday, but because of time constraints had to trim it to 5.5 miles, but still felt good.

My 18mile run on Saturday felt a bit pooey though. In terms of pacing it was pretty much bang on what i'd planned, but i never really got into the groove of it, and was a bit sluggish. Cold, drizzly, grey weather didn't help and I think i just wanted to get it over with. Not a great mood to be in for a run that took 3 hours, but hey ho, I banked the miles so there we go.

Was going out to a friend's 40th on Saturday night. Glad i did my long run on Saturday afternoon because after 4 pints on Saturday night i felt a bit worse for wear on Sunday. Didn't feel like a hangover, but was certainly stiff. My back and shoulders are still a bit stiff. I don't think 4pints is really the best post-run treatment, but i suppose you've got to let your hair down sometimes.

so that's 14 units for me so far in Feb. Might have a glass of wine on Thursday because i'm taking Mrs AG out for a valentines dinner. Otherwise I don't think i've got any boozy nights out planned for the next 2 weeks, so should keep the booze intake down. I've got my first 20mile run coming up this Sunday, which is the longest in my marathon plan (there are a couple more at that distance, but the plan doesn't go beyond that) so i'll be trying to ensure i get some decent sleep and lots of nice food this week so i'm in good shape for that.

keep it up chaps and chapettes.

11/02/2013 at 18:24

Evening all, not nice out there again is it.  No running here again - gone back down with the lurgy.  Just a cold but they tend to wipe me out thanks to the crohns 

AG, glad you're getting to enjoy swimming - I love it.  The only thing about swimming I don't like is the changing rooms - always bits of people's body hair lurking somewhere - yuk   Can I offer some advice - I know your plan doesn't go over 20 miles in training but I'd seriously suggest you do a 22 and even up to a 24.   It really will help on the day, you're legs will get less of a shock  but also the last 6 miles of a marathon are mostly in the mind - if you've done 22 or 24 you can tell yourself it's only 2 more miles to go - and you know 2 miles is easy........

11/02/2013 at 18:47

Evening.

It's yuk again isn't it SL?  When is some warmer or even drier weather coming?

Hope you feel better soon SL, too many lurgies going round

AG, glad you're feeling easier in the water?  Did you have a bad experience to cause the anxiety?

Have you still got snow sinbad?  We had a dusting last night but it melted so maybe yours will be gone by tomorrow?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.