Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,161 to 30,180 of 31,542 messages
15/02/2013 at 13:33

sounds like you're making good progress sinbad.

i wish someone would cut my sandwiches into icecream shapes, Cinders

Took the missus out for a fairly mediocre tepenyaki (spelling) last night. I didn't advertise it as mediocre, but the food was a bit "meh". Had most of a pint before and a glass of champagne with the meal, so i'm up to about 17 units this month. Still on target for lowest monthly alc intake at this rate. Was thinking of giving up booze for lent, but to be honest I'm about as lapsed as lapsed Catholics get, and I think i prefer alcohol moderation to abstinence. works for me.

Looks like the weather (in London at least) will be a bit warmer, dryer and brighter this weekend. Hope it's nice where you all are. Enjoy your weekend running

15/02/2013 at 13:46

Hi All,

AG what area of the world that you had your meal from, you lost me with the name

It nearly finished me off though that distance.

Question I'm so looking forward to hitting the wall  when I actually do the marathon. But is it possible to hit the wall, as you increase the distance on a weekly basis?

Good going with the booze AG.

15/02/2013 at 18:23

Definitely sounds like you're on the right track now Sinbad and the time for your 10 miles was definitely an improvement.  

I've no idea what you ate last night either AG - I moved out of London 30 yrs ago so not up to speed with all the cultural changes!

Bless Buttons Cinders -  wonder how long before he gets all embarrassed when you make him heart shaped sandwiches 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a dry and non windy Sunday - 13 miles along the coast  can be lovely or hellish depending on the weather...........

15/02/2013 at 19:45

Hope you have a good run on Sunday SL

AG, I've no idea either....that style of food did you have?

Romantic fail here last night....ended up with pizza and it upset my tum

16/02/2013 at 06:03
Hi all, ive found since training i dont want to drink, i used ti drink heavily , always a can in my hand, if they was in the fridge they had to be drank. Now is a different story, on the odd occasion i fancy a beer, i end up cracking a can and realising ive only had a couple of sips by bedtime and pouring the rest away, i did it in the pub yesterday (my birthday meal) had a pint and left half! I have also been quit smoking 6 weeks, something i couldnt ever imagine! I feel 16 again and signing up for my first half marathon in may, could be my lifesaver. Sod the fags and beer, running is the real addiction!

Jonny M
16/02/2013 at 12:08

Welcome Jonny M and well done on quitting booze and fags - that's not easy to do! Took me years to give up the fags but finally managed to do it last October.  Feel free to join in the conversations that go on here - could be anything from gardening to psychotherapy and sometimes we even chat about running 

Shame about the effects of the pizza Cinders - and I bet you thought it was your best choice of instant food without horse 

16/02/2013 at 12:16

Welcome Jonny M

Mmm SL, you never know where this horsemeat is going to turn up next!!! 

16/02/2013 at 12:44

Morning peeps.

The smallest, smallest hint of spring out there!

You running Brighton tomorrow SL?

16/02/2013 at 17:08

Hi All,

Hello Johnny 'M' welcome to the thread. Good going with the booze and running. This thread is a great one for non judgemental support, knowledge of running and genuine friendship.

Well I'm having a day off running today, I hope to do 10k Sunday morning, I will see how it goes.

Teletext news says this could be the tip of the Iceberg in finding out how big it really is Cinder's.

Yes good luck with the half marathon SL.

Don't post too soon hopetofinish lol, forecast on BBC says it couuld turn cold again from Wednesday, I hope for this time there wrong

Well I have decided that I'm going to try and not go into town till the 27th February (I have a meeting that day), at the job centre and will have a couple before going into the meeting. Till then I won't need to  go into town. As we have a Morrisons and Aldi's two miles walk away, and I will add it to my mileage as it a steep hill yet again.

If people are wonderingg why the meeting will be so stressful, as its about going back to work, I'm worried about being pushed instead of walking back into work. The regulars know why, and I don't want to through the new people in at the deep end. I just hope they listen to me, and not the amount of peoplethey have to get back into work. Twice, I went to see disability, once before starting uni, and once whenI got my degree, they refused to help. I will be typing what help I need and about mental health matters, asking them to reassess and hopefully help me back into work. Anyway enough negativity, they will give me the help I need. Just be aware as the meeting gets closer it may become all I post.I hope it doesn't put any of you chatting to me,

Enjoy your weekend all. Good luck Sunday SL. Hope that injury won't hinder you?

16/02/2013 at 20:34
Gonna test the shin splints on a 6 miler in the morning, did 4 in thursday and it felt like my shins were going to explode. 2 days rest and hopefully should be ok. They was ok when ice skating with my daughter earlier lol.
16/02/2013 at 21:02

Hi All,

Jonny 'M' what are your shin splints?

Er people. I have just filled out an application form for open evenning at Leeds met, with looking at potentially doing a post graduate degree. It's not because of the meeting at the job centre, but looking at what else I can do to prove to people I'm worth taking a chance with in the workplace.

I'm worried if I get on a course, that at some stage a PTS episode occurs again, and I walk out, and I turn up for a meeting of any kind and while in a pts epsiode, turn up to a tutorial fo example, instead of of rearanging the meeting, I still turn up, expecting myself and the person in the meeting to understand whats happenning, that is wrong of me. I try so hard for people to expect what may happen, but it still affects people in different ways. Its why I'm alone all the time. I'm dammed if I warn try to explain what may happen, and dammed if I don't warn people.

I was meant to have a guidance advisour to help me in such situations, I saw him once. So thats only managing 10 weeks on a diploma course and just 3 weeks on another.

I won't stay anywhere where my pts makes people uncomfortable, not even on here.

You have all been great n here people, thanks for that.

believe me please I want to work, but I'm scared of my pts getting in the way, and after an episode the door is blocked for me to come back when well. This happens every time.

Sorry for secod long post, I understand why people may not read all the time.

Good luck Sunday SL. Hope you have a pleasent Sunday folks.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 21:30
17/02/2013 at 11:16
What a morning, sun shining,6.2 miles in just over 50 mins, 1st time ive ran that far and it felt awesome, no prob with shin splints, a bit tight on calves but to be expected! The missus now has a sunday roast on the go, and going to take my lad to local play area. Only downside, work tomorrow.
17/02/2013 at 12:51

Hi All,

Thats a dam good time for 6 miles, I can only manage 44.09 minutes for 5k.

But on the plus side for 1k splits, I was only over 10 minutes once during the 5k.

I hope to do 12 very hilly miles Monday, I want to get the long run in before Wednesday, as the cold weather is due back that day,

SL have a great run today, its perfect weather for a half marathon, and HTF if she's running.

Thanks for the positive comments on running and work. Lifeis a funny old thing.

jonny 'M' I'm aware that everything is running great for you at the moment, just be aware that there may be ups and downs ahead for you. This thread is here for the good and not so good times .

I post that bit down as some people find it hard to post when thier down, I find this thread is fantastic for both times.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 12:52
17/02/2013 at 16:42
Afternoon all

Wonder how SL got on.

Good running jonnym. Hope you enjoyed your roast. Where do u ice skate? I love ice skating
17/02/2013 at 16:57

Afternoon all

Great running there Jonny M and great that the shins were ok.

Had a bad run today - it was tough from the start and almost gave up at 10k but didn't.  Took me 2:34 which is 1--20 mins slower than it should have.  Oh well, we all have bad runs/days now and then.

17/02/2013 at 17:19

Well done SL, sorry to hear it was a bad one.

17/02/2013 at 18:02
Hi people, cinders, just ice skate at my local leisure centre, more my daughters thing to be honest. Sunluvva thats what its all about, not giving in! And thanks sinbad, i appreciate it wont be all plain sailing! Days rest tomorrow! Give the old legs chance to recover!
17/02/2013 at 18:37

Hi All,

At least you finished it, and didn't give up well done SL.

Ice skating only ever tried once, I fell oover and couldn't type for 2 weeks, it wasn't broken, juust a very bad sprain.

Glad you do things with your daughter jonny 'M'. Did you ice skate with her or just watched?

Cinder's how  are you doing?

SL I can only do 10 miles in 2.5 hours, so your still pretty fast on a good day. Are you ok generally SL?

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 18:37
18/02/2013 at 12:44

Hi All,

I start with a comment about the weather, I just seen forecast, and its turning back to winter from Tuesday, Wednesday onwards. So I did my long run today, glorious weather to run in today.

I did 12 miles in 3 hours 25 minutes. I'm out by about an hour, but I'm not disapointed with the time, as the regulars know why its that time.

I'm looking now for a rehydration pack now, the 700ml is just no good for long distances, I must admit I felt dehydrated.

How is everyone today?

18/02/2013 at 18:02

Hi All,

I have seen the course I want to do. But it says that you should already be working in the profession. I feel that I will be setting myself up for a fall, if I get to worked up about it.

The Person Centred Therapy that I started was a disaster. I hated practically every aspect of it. But wanted to finish it, as a confidence booster, but it also gave you certain qualifications to work within a kids care home etc.

If its the same at Leedss met I won't do it. PCT is dangerous, and works on the basis that diagnosis of mental health (PTS, BPD) does not exist, and that only you can heal you.

I have just finished 12 months group therapy, and with regards to my BPD it has helped in understanding what is holding me back. But applying what it has taught me within the adult world is very scary, and people shut you out every time you try to fit in using what you have learnt. They can't handel you becoming stronger, within a group.

I will give Leeds Met a ring in the morning, and see what they say.

Its okay if you don't read all posts, it can get heavy reading.

I did my forensics moduel on sexual bullying, and the Yorkshire Ripper as my two assignments. Thats just an idea just hwo deep you go. It wasn't media stuff (just some background from media), the rest was all deep text book and scientific papers.

Hope your all okay. Im just watching Most Haunted.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.