Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,161 to 30,180 of 31,661 messages
16/02/2013 at 21:02

Hi All,

Jonny 'M' what are your shin splints?

Er people. I have just filled out an application form for open evenning at Leeds met, with looking at potentially doing a post graduate degree. It's not because of the meeting at the job centre, but looking at what else I can do to prove to people I'm worth taking a chance with in the workplace.

I'm worried if I get on a course, that at some stage a PTS episode occurs again, and I walk out, and I turn up for a meeting of any kind and while in a pts epsiode, turn up to a tutorial fo example, instead of of rearanging the meeting, I still turn up, expecting myself and the person in the meeting to understand whats happenning, that is wrong of me. I try so hard for people to expect what may happen, but it still affects people in different ways. Its why I'm alone all the time. I'm dammed if I warn try to explain what may happen, and dammed if I don't warn people.

I was meant to have a guidance advisour to help me in such situations, I saw him once. So thats only managing 10 weeks on a diploma course and just 3 weeks on another.

I won't stay anywhere where my pts makes people uncomfortable, not even on here.

You have all been great n here people, thanks for that.

believe me please I want to work, but I'm scared of my pts getting in the way, and after an episode the door is blocked for me to come back when well. This happens every time.

Sorry for secod long post, I understand why people may not read all the time.

Good luck Sunday SL. Hope you have a pleasent Sunday folks.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 21:30
17/02/2013 at 11:16
What a morning, sun shining,6.2 miles in just over 50 mins, 1st time ive ran that far and it felt awesome, no prob with shin splints, a bit tight on calves but to be expected! The missus now has a sunday roast on the go, and going to take my lad to local play area. Only downside, work tomorrow.
17/02/2013 at 12:51

Hi All,

Thats a dam good time for 6 miles, I can only manage 44.09 minutes for 5k.

But on the plus side for 1k splits, I was only over 10 minutes once during the 5k.

I hope to do 12 very hilly miles Monday, I want to get the long run in before Wednesday, as the cold weather is due back that day,

SL have a great run today, its perfect weather for a half marathon, and HTF if she's running.

Thanks for the positive comments on running and work. Lifeis a funny old thing.

jonny 'M' I'm aware that everything is running great for you at the moment, just be aware that there may be ups and downs ahead for you. This thread is here for the good and not so good times .

I post that bit down as some people find it hard to post when thier down, I find this thread is fantastic for both times.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 12:52
17/02/2013 at 16:42
Afternoon all

Wonder how SL got on.

Good running jonnym. Hope you enjoyed your roast. Where do u ice skate? I love ice skating
17/02/2013 at 16:57

Afternoon all

Great running there Jonny M and great that the shins were ok.

Had a bad run today - it was tough from the start and almost gave up at 10k but didn't.  Took me 2:34 which is 1--20 mins slower than it should have.  Oh well, we all have bad runs/days now and then.

17/02/2013 at 17:19

Well done SL, sorry to hear it was a bad one.

17/02/2013 at 18:02
Hi people, cinders, just ice skate at my local leisure centre, more my daughters thing to be honest. Sunluvva thats what its all about, not giving in! And thanks sinbad, i appreciate it wont be all plain sailing! Days rest tomorrow! Give the old legs chance to recover!
17/02/2013 at 18:37

Hi All,

At least you finished it, and didn't give up well done SL.

Ice skating only ever tried once, I fell oover and couldn't type for 2 weeks, it wasn't broken, juust a very bad sprain.

Glad you do things with your daughter jonny 'M'. Did you ice skate with her or just watched?

Cinder's how  are you doing?

SL I can only do 10 miles in 2.5 hours, so your still pretty fast on a good day. Are you ok generally SL?

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 18:37
18/02/2013 at 12:44

Hi All,

I start with a comment about the weather, I just seen forecast, and its turning back to winter from Tuesday, Wednesday onwards. So I did my long run today, glorious weather to run in today.

I did 12 miles in 3 hours 25 minutes. I'm out by about an hour, but I'm not disapointed with the time, as the regulars know why its that time.

I'm looking now for a rehydration pack now, the 700ml is just no good for long distances, I must admit I felt dehydrated.

How is everyone today?

18/02/2013 at 18:02

Hi All,

I have seen the course I want to do. But it says that you should already be working in the profession. I feel that I will be setting myself up for a fall, if I get to worked up about it.

The Person Centred Therapy that I started was a disaster. I hated practically every aspect of it. But wanted to finish it, as a confidence booster, but it also gave you certain qualifications to work within a kids care home etc.

If its the same at Leedss met I won't do it. PCT is dangerous, and works on the basis that diagnosis of mental health (PTS, BPD) does not exist, and that only you can heal you.

I have just finished 12 months group therapy, and with regards to my BPD it has helped in understanding what is holding me back. But applying what it has taught me within the adult world is very scary, and people shut you out every time you try to fit in using what you have learnt. They can't handel you becoming stronger, within a group.

I will give Leeds Met a ring in the morning, and see what they say.

Its okay if you don't read all posts, it can get heavy reading.

I did my forensics moduel on sexual bullying, and the Yorkshire Ripper as my two assignments. Thats just an idea just hwo deep you go. It wasn't media stuff (just some background from media), the rest was all deep text book and scientific papers.

Hope your all okay. Im just watching Most Haunted.

18/02/2013 at 19:28
Hi all, yes, i skate with my daughter . Got to be hands on whilst im fit and healthy. Work wasnt bad today, running the 6.2 miles home from work tomorrow,.its do ideal being exactly 10k. running a 5k in chesterfield next week so good practice.
19/02/2013 at 08:15

Hi All,

Good going jonny 'M'.

19/02/2013 at 08:38

Morning.  Is it Friday yet?

19/02/2013 at 10:13

Morning all,

welcome Jonny, funny you shoudl mention shin splints, i've been getting pain in my shins for the past week, so I booked a sports massage yesterday and i'm seeing the physio today to give me the once over. I tried self diagnosing via the tinterweb, but to be honest it's a minefield of misinformation, so i thought better to consult a professional.

I've been quite disciplined with gradualyl adding the running mileage, and i've gotten up to 53 miles per week last week. The day following my 18mile run last weekend I went for a recovery jog and noticed my shins were aching (dull ache, about 2-3 out of 10 on a scale of painful). The pain subsided after 1-2 miles, presumably because i'd warmed up. But it happened at the start of all my runs last week, so i thought i'd better get it checked out before it turns into something more serious.

fingers crossed the physio will tell me it's just tight calves (the sports masseuse yesterday told me they were really stiff) and i'll get some stretches, and it'll be ok.

I ran across to Richmond Park on Sunday for my 20 miler, to have some grass to run on, rather than pounding pavement, and i think that might have helped a bit. Due for a run this evening, but depends what physio says.

Avoided booze this weekend. Drove to pub quiz to meet up with mates, and didn't really miss having a drink. Had a glass of beer yesterday when we were invited round to a mate's for a birthday dinner. So that's me up to 20 units for Feb. I'll probably arrange a couple of drinks next Wednesday with some uni mates as i've mnot seen them for a while, but i reckon i'll still sneak in under 28 units for the month, less than a unit a day, which would be pretty good.

I'm feeling in pretty decent shape at the moment, eating well, running well (despite recent pain) and staying off the booze, so i'm looking pretty trim, and in race condition. To be honest, my gf thinks i look a little too trim and i'd tend to agree, but finding it hard to motivate myself to do any sort of weights at the moment. My weight hasn't really changed in the last 6 months, i'm 70kg on the nose, but i think the bit of fat i was carrying around my midriff has gone, and my legs have toned up, which kind of makes me look skinny from the waist up. I'm going to wait until after the marathon though before i do anything serious about stacking bulk on. Hoping to race some shorter distances over the summer months, and reduce weekly mileage, plus push on with the swimming, so that'll be a chance to do some upper body stuff, which will please my missus, and my ego.

19/02/2013 at 15:06

physio doesn't think it's shin splints, which is good. he does think i should spend about 10 hours a day stretching my calves though

p.s. Tepenyaki (spelling?) is Japanese cooking style, frying on a big flat metal surface. the chefs cook at the table (or rather the table is arranged around the tepenyaki "hob" thing, and they do entertaining knife tricks. S'ok.

19/02/2013 at 15:09

Hi All,

I'm on day 8 without a beer. I usally get drunk on pay day. Do people when extending ays they drink further and further away, can you get punch drunk, without even having a beer?

LOL with Cinder's alas no. Any reason why you want it to be Friday Cinder's?

Please someone explain shin splints. 

Good, really pleased for you AG keeping booze under control, and good luck with the physio.

AG I'm only managing about 20 miles  for istance last week. I did 12 miles Monday, and it was tough, but (i said an hour over target) I completed it in 3.5 hours. Freezing weather will force me onto the treadmill, from Wednesday. Its so hilly, that I dare won't run on icy roads, there just too dangerous.

But I hope to do about the same distance again this week. I'm just worried about the milage. If I manage the 20 miles within the next 5 weeks I will be happy. When I entered over the phone, he said I had 7.5 hours to finish within time limit. If I make that i will be happy.

I'm just worried as your doing double the milage that i am making AG.

Hope your all ok?

19/02/2013 at 15:15

Hi All,

Just thought I would add, that I'm going to Huddersfield On Trak alchohol service drop in Wednesday.

They warned me it can take up to hours to do an assessment.

I think I will go after my run, as I really need to try and build up on distance.

I'm impressed with your milage AG.

I checked over Leeds Met uni post gred course. It is PCT, so I won't going there.

Hope your all okay?

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 15:17
19/02/2013 at 16:36

Hi All,

Gulp. I have just answered four questions from Huddersfield University for the Msc course for Investigative Psychology. Thats even before they send out an application form.

There's only 20 places, and I'm panicking a little as I used my own experience on surviving attempted murder, as a reason  for wanting to do the course. I'm wondering if I have done right, and will they look at this a positive reason?

19/02/2013 at 17:18

i wouldn't worry about comparing mileage sinbad, there's always someone who'll be doing more than you, so best to pick a plan that's realistic for you to follow, try to stick to it, whilst allowing some flexibility to adjust as necessary, and listen to your body to reduce the risk of injury through overtraining. The plan i'm following is from a book called "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzsinger and Douglas, and it involves running 5x per week, with mileage topping out at 55 per week over the programme. But that's the lower end of mileage for that book. There are 4 other programmes (all built around the same principles, but depending on what shape you are in at the start of the plan, and what your running history is) that go up to 70 mpw, up to 85mpw and beyond.

The elites are running 140, 150 or more miles per week at the peak, so my 50 odd is low by comparison. Likewise i've heard of people performing well in marathons on much lower weekly mileage than the plan i'm following, so as with everything you've got to follow your own path and decide what's right for you.

After Manchester in April, I'm going to be dropping the mileage to around 20ish per week throughout the summer, but doing more tempo runs and intervals to try to get faster over 5k and 10k, then build up the endurance again in autumn ready for another crack at a spring marathon next year.

19/02/2013 at 17:52

Hi All,

Sounds like you have it planned out well AG.

I looked at the 16 week program I have been trying to follow. Thats been offered by the official Manchester marathon site.

I have to stop panicking like this, but its really hard no to panic as its my first one.

I am bang on schedual as long as I stay loosely on the long run, and stick to the shorter runs. But to do that I will do three 10k runs on the treadmill. Its only four runs a week.

Thanks for the info its appreciated.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.