Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,181 to 30,200 of 31,271 messages
18/02/2013 at 19:28
Hi all, yes, i skate with my daughter . Got to be hands on whilst im fit and healthy. Work wasnt bad today, running the 6.2 miles home from work tomorrow,.its do ideal being exactly 10k. running a 5k in chesterfield next week so good practice.
19/02/2013 at 08:15

Hi All,

Good going jonny 'M'.

19/02/2013 at 08:38

Morning.  Is it Friday yet?

19/02/2013 at 10:13

Morning all,

welcome Jonny, funny you shoudl mention shin splints, i've been getting pain in my shins for the past week, so I booked a sports massage yesterday and i'm seeing the physio today to give me the once over. I tried self diagnosing via the tinterweb, but to be honest it's a minefield of misinformation, so i thought better to consult a professional.

I've been quite disciplined with gradualyl adding the running mileage, and i've gotten up to 53 miles per week last week. The day following my 18mile run last weekend I went for a recovery jog and noticed my shins were aching (dull ache, about 2-3 out of 10 on a scale of painful). The pain subsided after 1-2 miles, presumably because i'd warmed up. But it happened at the start of all my runs last week, so i thought i'd better get it checked out before it turns into something more serious.

fingers crossed the physio will tell me it's just tight calves (the sports masseuse yesterday told me they were really stiff) and i'll get some stretches, and it'll be ok.

I ran across to Richmond Park on Sunday for my 20 miler, to have some grass to run on, rather than pounding pavement, and i think that might have helped a bit. Due for a run this evening, but depends what physio says.

Avoided booze this weekend. Drove to pub quiz to meet up with mates, and didn't really miss having a drink. Had a glass of beer yesterday when we were invited round to a mate's for a birthday dinner. So that's me up to 20 units for Feb. I'll probably arrange a couple of drinks next Wednesday with some uni mates as i've mnot seen them for a while, but i reckon i'll still sneak in under 28 units for the month, less than a unit a day, which would be pretty good.

I'm feeling in pretty decent shape at the moment, eating well, running well (despite recent pain) and staying off the booze, so i'm looking pretty trim, and in race condition. To be honest, my gf thinks i look a little too trim and i'd tend to agree, but finding it hard to motivate myself to do any sort of weights at the moment. My weight hasn't really changed in the last 6 months, i'm 70kg on the nose, but i think the bit of fat i was carrying around my midriff has gone, and my legs have toned up, which kind of makes me look skinny from the waist up. I'm going to wait until after the marathon though before i do anything serious about stacking bulk on. Hoping to race some shorter distances over the summer months, and reduce weekly mileage, plus push on with the swimming, so that'll be a chance to do some upper body stuff, which will please my missus, and my ego.

19/02/2013 at 15:06

physio doesn't think it's shin splints, which is good. he does think i should spend about 10 hours a day stretching my calves though

p.s. Tepenyaki (spelling?) is Japanese cooking style, frying on a big flat metal surface. the chefs cook at the table (or rather the table is arranged around the tepenyaki "hob" thing, and they do entertaining knife tricks. S'ok.

19/02/2013 at 15:09

Hi All,

I'm on day 8 without a beer. I usally get drunk on pay day. Do people when extending ays they drink further and further away, can you get punch drunk, without even having a beer?

LOL with Cinder's alas no. Any reason why you want it to be Friday Cinder's?

Please someone explain shin splints. 

Good, really pleased for you AG keeping booze under control, and good luck with the physio.

AG I'm only managing about 20 miles  for istance last week. I did 12 miles Monday, and it was tough, but (i said an hour over target) I completed it in 3.5 hours. Freezing weather will force me onto the treadmill, from Wednesday. Its so hilly, that I dare won't run on icy roads, there just too dangerous.

But I hope to do about the same distance again this week. I'm just worried about the milage. If I manage the 20 miles within the next 5 weeks I will be happy. When I entered over the phone, he said I had 7.5 hours to finish within time limit. If I make that i will be happy.

I'm just worried as your doing double the milage that i am making AG.

Hope your all ok?

19/02/2013 at 15:15

Hi All,

Just thought I would add, that I'm going to Huddersfield On Trak alchohol service drop in Wednesday.

They warned me it can take up to hours to do an assessment.

I think I will go after my run, as I really need to try and build up on distance.

I'm impressed with your milage AG.

I checked over Leeds Met uni post gred course. It is PCT, so I won't going there.

Hope your all okay?

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 15:17
19/02/2013 at 16:36

Hi All,

Gulp. I have just answered four questions from Huddersfield University for the Msc course for Investigative Psychology. Thats even before they send out an application form.

There's only 20 places, and I'm panicking a little as I used my own experience on surviving attempted murder, as a reason  for wanting to do the course. I'm wondering if I have done right, and will they look at this a positive reason?

19/02/2013 at 17:18

i wouldn't worry about comparing mileage sinbad, there's always someone who'll be doing more than you, so best to pick a plan that's realistic for you to follow, try to stick to it, whilst allowing some flexibility to adjust as necessary, and listen to your body to reduce the risk of injury through overtraining. The plan i'm following is from a book called "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzsinger and Douglas, and it involves running 5x per week, with mileage topping out at 55 per week over the programme. But that's the lower end of mileage for that book. There are 4 other programmes (all built around the same principles, but depending on what shape you are in at the start of the plan, and what your running history is) that go up to 70 mpw, up to 85mpw and beyond.

The elites are running 140, 150 or more miles per week at the peak, so my 50 odd is low by comparison. Likewise i've heard of people performing well in marathons on much lower weekly mileage than the plan i'm following, so as with everything you've got to follow your own path and decide what's right for you.

After Manchester in April, I'm going to be dropping the mileage to around 20ish per week throughout the summer, but doing more tempo runs and intervals to try to get faster over 5k and 10k, then build up the endurance again in autumn ready for another crack at a spring marathon next year.

19/02/2013 at 17:52

Hi All,

Sounds like you have it planned out well AG.

I looked at the 16 week program I have been trying to follow. Thats been offered by the official Manchester marathon site.

I have to stop panicking like this, but its really hard no to panic as its my first one.

I am bang on schedual as long as I stay loosely on the long run, and stick to the shorter runs. But to do that I will do three 10k runs on the treadmill. Its only four runs a week.

Thanks for the info its appreciated.

20/02/2013 at 12:23

yeah, there's really no need to panic. It should be fun, not an ordeal. Remember you're choosing to do this race. Yes, it's supposed to be a challenge, it's bound to be, but if you get in the frame of mind of enjoying the "process" as much as possble, then the end result will come.

If you do actually like running, then make it a lifelong activity. I know that having a short term goal does help motivate when you're not really feeling like getting out to run (for me at least that's true), but it shouldn't feel like week after week after week of a chore. What's the point in that?

20/02/2013 at 17:01

HHi all,

fair comment AG.

21/02/2013 at 03:12

Hi All,

I got drunk yesterday, didn't go  to on trak. I'm just feeling the pressure somewhat. I  will try and go today.

Puts me behind a little with training, but I should be able to get back on track.

Hope your all okay.

21/02/2013 at 08:44

Hi all!  Not posted for a while - I've been lurking but work and other stuff has got in the way

Have decided not to run Brighton Marathon this year.  I fell eight weeks behind schedule (a combination of a knee problem and pharyngitis) so decided it was best just to concentrate on a few 10ks this year and perhaps a HM in the autumn if I can find one I fancy doing!  Have just started Hal Higdon Novice training plan for 10k.  Although I'm not a novice it's the distances and frequency I feel happy committing to.

All seems to be going well here - off out shortly for 5k.  It's much colder than it was on Tuesday when it was crisp and sunny.  Never mind no white stuff to contend with.

As for the booze - well I've been a little lax of late.  Drinking in the week a couple of times as well as at weekends.  Will revert to not drinking during the week when I'm back at school on Monday.  Half term has been quite relaxed with not too much going on.

Hope you all have great days

23/02/2013 at 12:41

Hi All,

trigger2 i not been in for a couple of days either.

I went on a 2 day drinking binge. I had letter through about the changes to Disabilty payments, basicly everyone has to apply again with some people seeing a work professional at some stage. Its the pressure of writing it all again, it sometimes creates a pts episode.

trigger2 be careful with the booze, I remember your posts,  about it possible be extremly damaging for you. It also sounds like a plan you have for running, hope it works for you.

Hope your all okay.

I managed to stop beer taking over again, and believe it or not running was the key to stop it getting worse, and trying to save for a new engine.

I managed 2 10k runs on treadmill Friday and today, one was !hour 34, today was 1hour 37, I'm pleased with that.

It's too cold to do long runs outside, and I don't fancy being caught out in a snow storm, 6 miles into a run (it keeps trying here), so that's why I'm sticking to the gym. I'm impressed by runners I see here, but you just have to be sensible to.

Where is everyone?

23/02/2013 at 19:12

Hi All,

I don't know what you all think about waist packs. But now that I'm up to 12 miles plus, carrying a rucksack, and stopping starting taking water out etc is just not vesable (wrong spelling?). So I have just splashed out for the OMM 6L waist pack.

What do people think?

23/02/2013 at 20:01

You know there's some research to suggest that small quantities of alcohol, regularly are associated with fitter people. Not binging but, say 1 small red with a meal.

I'll find the study and post.

24/02/2013 at 09:02

Hi All,

Interest post pablo arenca

24/02/2013 at 09:22

Gosh it was cold yesterday!  Did the local handicap in what seemed like a blizzard although the good men in the Met office graded them as snow flurries. Couldn't get warm for the rest of the day so hope I'm not gonig down with something.

Well done on the 10ks Sinbad.  With regards to hydration I have got a Camelbak that I've used in my long training runs for the marathon but when I take part I normally just take a small bottle of water to start off with and then pick up something from the drinks stations along the way.  I then just use a bumbag for the essentials - jellybabies, immodium, loo roll etc., etc.,

Pablo - certainly agree that there have been studies about the alcohol but I am one of those people who when they open a bottle of wine tend to sink the whole lot so find it best not to open it in the first place.  Have been a little more relaxed this week since I've been on half-term but will be back on the wagon tomorrow.

Hope you're all managing to keep warm and well

24/02/2013 at 10:00

Morning, rather fresh out there brrrrr!

Good running sinbad and trigger

Going to *try* a run later, cannot remember the last time I stuck my trainers on!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.