Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,181 to 30,200 of 31,656 messages
20/02/2013 at 12:23

yeah, there's really no need to panic. It should be fun, not an ordeal. Remember you're choosing to do this race. Yes, it's supposed to be a challenge, it's bound to be, but if you get in the frame of mind of enjoying the "process" as much as possble, then the end result will come.

If you do actually like running, then make it a lifelong activity. I know that having a short term goal does help motivate when you're not really feeling like getting out to run (for me at least that's true), but it shouldn't feel like week after week after week of a chore. What's the point in that?

20/02/2013 at 17:01

HHi all,

fair comment AG.

21/02/2013 at 03:12

Hi All,

I got drunk yesterday, didn't go  to on trak. I'm just feeling the pressure somewhat. I  will try and go today.

Puts me behind a little with training, but I should be able to get back on track.

Hope your all okay.

21/02/2013 at 08:44

Hi all!  Not posted for a while - I've been lurking but work and other stuff has got in the way

Have decided not to run Brighton Marathon this year.  I fell eight weeks behind schedule (a combination of a knee problem and pharyngitis) so decided it was best just to concentrate on a few 10ks this year and perhaps a HM in the autumn if I can find one I fancy doing!  Have just started Hal Higdon Novice training plan for 10k.  Although I'm not a novice it's the distances and frequency I feel happy committing to.

All seems to be going well here - off out shortly for 5k.  It's much colder than it was on Tuesday when it was crisp and sunny.  Never mind no white stuff to contend with.

As for the booze - well I've been a little lax of late.  Drinking in the week a couple of times as well as at weekends.  Will revert to not drinking during the week when I'm back at school on Monday.  Half term has been quite relaxed with not too much going on.

Hope you all have great days

23/02/2013 at 12:41

Hi All,

trigger2 i not been in for a couple of days either.

I went on a 2 day drinking binge. I had letter through about the changes to Disabilty payments, basicly everyone has to apply again with some people seeing a work professional at some stage. Its the pressure of writing it all again, it sometimes creates a pts episode.

trigger2 be careful with the booze, I remember your posts,  about it possible be extremly damaging for you. It also sounds like a plan you have for running, hope it works for you.

Hope your all okay.

I managed to stop beer taking over again, and believe it or not running was the key to stop it getting worse, and trying to save for a new engine.

I managed 2 10k runs on treadmill Friday and today, one was !hour 34, today was 1hour 37, I'm pleased with that.

It's too cold to do long runs outside, and I don't fancy being caught out in a snow storm, 6 miles into a run (it keeps trying here), so that's why I'm sticking to the gym. I'm impressed by runners I see here, but you just have to be sensible to.

Where is everyone?

23/02/2013 at 19:12

Hi All,

I don't know what you all think about waist packs. But now that I'm up to 12 miles plus, carrying a rucksack, and stopping starting taking water out etc is just not vesable (wrong spelling?). So I have just splashed out for the OMM 6L waist pack.

What do people think?

23/02/2013 at 20:01

You know there's some research to suggest that small quantities of alcohol, regularly are associated with fitter people. Not binging but, say 1 small red with a meal.

I'll find the study and post.

24/02/2013 at 09:02

Hi All,

Interest post pablo arenca

24/02/2013 at 09:22

Gosh it was cold yesterday!  Did the local handicap in what seemed like a blizzard although the good men in the Met office graded them as snow flurries. Couldn't get warm for the rest of the day so hope I'm not gonig down with something.

Well done on the 10ks Sinbad.  With regards to hydration I have got a Camelbak that I've used in my long training runs for the marathon but when I take part I normally just take a small bottle of water to start off with and then pick up something from the drinks stations along the way.  I then just use a bumbag for the essentials - jellybabies, immodium, loo roll etc., etc.,

Pablo - certainly agree that there have been studies about the alcohol but I am one of those people who when they open a bottle of wine tend to sink the whole lot so find it best not to open it in the first place.  Have been a little more relaxed this week since I've been on half-term but will be back on the wagon tomorrow.

Hope you're all managing to keep warm and well

24/02/2013 at 10:00

Morning, rather fresh out there brrrrr!

Good running sinbad and trigger

Going to *try* a run later, cannot remember the last time I stuck my trainers on!

24/02/2013 at 15:13

Hope all went well Cinders!

24/02/2013 at 19:57

Hi All,

I'm like you with the booze trigger2. Its best for some people like me to not to drink. I've just bought the OMM 6L waistpack £35 I have noticed I get very dehydrated quickly, probable the booze coming out of me.

Hope you got out on the run Cinder's?

Well, I had a day off today. But like some other's we've had snow flurries here to, and yes its dammed cold. So I'm going on the treadmill again in the morning, but this time to do my long run of 23K. Its just too cold to run any long distance outside.

Hope your all okay?

25/02/2013 at 07:02

Back to work

25/02/2013 at 12:23

welcome back trigger.

sinbad, i have a camelback for water for long runs in the summer, or for hikes. It contains a bladder that holds 2L. However, I don't often wear it for runs. Even on a 20mile run, which is about the longest I'll do, i find in this weather a 500ml bottle of water is fine. I'll just hold that in my hand (although it can be a bit of a pain when you start to get tired). I figure as i won't be running with a water pack or backpack during my marathon there's no point me training with one.

Ran home on Friday night, took a circuitous route and made it a 2 hour jog. Legs felt fine, although i was a little sluggish. I'd been cycling regularly last week, so don't think the fitness suffered much from my enforced rest days last week.

Went out for a planned 16mile run on Sunday, with the first 4miles a warmup, and the last 12miles at planned marathon pace (which is 9 min miles for me). Managed it round, and legs felt good during and after the run, which is reassuring after my scare with the lower leg discomfort, but the pace felt tough. I suppose i'm not alone in wondering how I'm going to do 26.2 miles at that pace in 9 weeks time.

But all in all, i'm feeling pretty confident now, which is good. Had a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday night in with the missus and a couple of pints of Guiness last night when mrs AG and I met up with some friends in the pub. Went down very nicely after my run, but i'm pleased i was able to resist the temptation to have more, so I didn't feel rough this morning getting up for work.

I think i'm up to about 28 units this month, and that's me done with drinking for Feb, so my lowest monthly boozing since i can remember. I've been eating pretty well too, and getting some decent sleep over the last week, plus a couple of good lie-ins this weekend, so i'm feeling great at the moment.

25/02/2013 at 13:22

Hi  All,

Well done all round for you AG, espcially with the booze. 9 minute miles thats some pace to aim for.

I went to gym, but at 13k on the treadmil it suddenly stopped. It left me frustrated as I was just over half way.

So on the bus home, I've decided no matter the weather (except ice), I'm back on the road. It was a disappointing time of 1 hour 58. But I'm thinking of getting the distance in.

Trigger2  are you ok, now your back in class ?

25/02/2013 at 13:34

Hello everyone, I'm back   Things have been pretty rough for me lately, the depression (and therefore the food binging) have been very bad and it makes me very unsociable.  I'm feeling better now though and have also been referred for counselling which will help.  It will take about 6 weeks to see someone but at least I've been referred

The training has been going ok, although I'd been missing quite a few of the short sessions.  Made a bit effort last week though and did all the sessions except one so am pleased with that.  Found out on Thursday that there is a cut off for the VLM where if you don't finish by 6pm (8:15 after the start gun goes off) then you don't get a medal and are a DNF.  No way I want that to happen so I'm keeping an eye on my overall pace while I'm out on the longer sessions now.  I've been managing to walk at between a 15 and 16:30 minute mile generally which will get me round in time with a little to spare.  That pace includes stopping for the loo, leaping onto verges out of the way of oncoming cars and the fact that I'm often on a bad camber road or one that's pretty muddy so I should be ok on the flatter, traffic free streets of London!  Booked the train tickets at the weekend for me and my friend who is coming to support so all feeling a bit real now   Best I get my sponsorship page up and running too!

Hope everyone is ok, haven't read back as there is way too much to catch up on!

25/02/2013 at 13:44

Hi All,

Glad to see you back, and news bout councelling TST.

No problem TST. I think most people are okay. Good news with the traning, keep at it.

I forgot to mention about the waist pack. I'm a pretty hairy guy, so I sweat bucket loads, hence why the need for a waistpack. I only took a 700L water bottle, and really struggled on the way back of a 12 mile run, walk.

AG I think I will be averaging between 11 and 15 minute miles for the Manchester marathon, I should be okay with the shut off point of 7.5 hours, So with the 9 weeks left, I'm going to buiild up on endurance. I also think I will be walking most of it.

Hope all okay with people? 

25/02/2013 at 14:01

Hi All,

TST I thought i had better just check up on the shut off time for my Manchester marathon. It's only 6 hours. But even if its the very last person, then someone willl be out with you. But  we have to run on pavements, and there will still be a finish line, and still get your medal.

I had better pull my socks up.

Hope all okay, and not too posts?

25/02/2013 at 14:24

Afternoon all.

TST,welcome back but sorry things have been rough ((( ))) 

Think they introduced the time limit this year. Think it was after the antics of LLoyd Scott in his diving suit/snail etc.  Who will you be running for?  Let us know your fundraising page when you have one.

25/02/2013 at 14:43

Heavens Sinbad I'm not a teacher - I couldn't hack it!  I'm the Headteacher's PA at a local secondary school and love every second of it (mostly).

Have been keeping track of you on FB TST so stick with it.  Hope it's sooner rather than later that you get your counselling.  I might go to VLM as a spectator this year - depends on weather - first time ever - I've only ever been there before as a competitor or a volunteer on the baggage lorries!

Sinbad I think you had a lucky break - so long on a treadmill would drive me bonkers!

Take care all

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.