Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,201 to 30,220 of 31,281 messages
24/02/2013 at 15:13

Hope all went well Cinders!

24/02/2013 at 19:57

Hi All,

I'm like you with the booze trigger2. Its best for some people like me to not to drink. I've just bought the OMM 6L waistpack £35 I have noticed I get very dehydrated quickly, probable the booze coming out of me.

Hope you got out on the run Cinder's?

Well, I had a day off today. But like some other's we've had snow flurries here to, and yes its dammed cold. So I'm going on the treadmill again in the morning, but this time to do my long run of 23K. Its just too cold to run any long distance outside.

Hope your all okay?

25/02/2013 at 07:02

Back to work

25/02/2013 at 12:23

welcome back trigger.

sinbad, i have a camelback for water for long runs in the summer, or for hikes. It contains a bladder that holds 2L. However, I don't often wear it for runs. Even on a 20mile run, which is about the longest I'll do, i find in this weather a 500ml bottle of water is fine. I'll just hold that in my hand (although it can be a bit of a pain when you start to get tired). I figure as i won't be running with a water pack or backpack during my marathon there's no point me training with one.

Ran home on Friday night, took a circuitous route and made it a 2 hour jog. Legs felt fine, although i was a little sluggish. I'd been cycling regularly last week, so don't think the fitness suffered much from my enforced rest days last week.

Went out for a planned 16mile run on Sunday, with the first 4miles a warmup, and the last 12miles at planned marathon pace (which is 9 min miles for me). Managed it round, and legs felt good during and after the run, which is reassuring after my scare with the lower leg discomfort, but the pace felt tough. I suppose i'm not alone in wondering how I'm going to do 26.2 miles at that pace in 9 weeks time.

But all in all, i'm feeling pretty confident now, which is good. Had a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday night in with the missus and a couple of pints of Guiness last night when mrs AG and I met up with some friends in the pub. Went down very nicely after my run, but i'm pleased i was able to resist the temptation to have more, so I didn't feel rough this morning getting up for work.

I think i'm up to about 28 units this month, and that's me done with drinking for Feb, so my lowest monthly boozing since i can remember. I've been eating pretty well too, and getting some decent sleep over the last week, plus a couple of good lie-ins this weekend, so i'm feeling great at the moment.

25/02/2013 at 13:22

Hi  All,

Well done all round for you AG, espcially with the booze. 9 minute miles thats some pace to aim for.

I went to gym, but at 13k on the treadmil it suddenly stopped. It left me frustrated as I was just over half way.

So on the bus home, I've decided no matter the weather (except ice), I'm back on the road. It was a disappointing time of 1 hour 58. But I'm thinking of getting the distance in.

Trigger2  are you ok, now your back in class ?

25/02/2013 at 13:34

Hello everyone, I'm back   Things have been pretty rough for me lately, the depression (and therefore the food binging) have been very bad and it makes me very unsociable.  I'm feeling better now though and have also been referred for counselling which will help.  It will take about 6 weeks to see someone but at least I've been referred

The training has been going ok, although I'd been missing quite a few of the short sessions.  Made a bit effort last week though and did all the sessions except one so am pleased with that.  Found out on Thursday that there is a cut off for the VLM where if you don't finish by 6pm (8:15 after the start gun goes off) then you don't get a medal and are a DNF.  No way I want that to happen so I'm keeping an eye on my overall pace while I'm out on the longer sessions now.  I've been managing to walk at between a 15 and 16:30 minute mile generally which will get me round in time with a little to spare.  That pace includes stopping for the loo, leaping onto verges out of the way of oncoming cars and the fact that I'm often on a bad camber road or one that's pretty muddy so I should be ok on the flatter, traffic free streets of London!  Booked the train tickets at the weekend for me and my friend who is coming to support so all feeling a bit real now   Best I get my sponsorship page up and running too!

Hope everyone is ok, haven't read back as there is way too much to catch up on!

25/02/2013 at 13:44

Hi All,

Glad to see you back, and news bout councelling TST.

No problem TST. I think most people are okay. Good news with the traning, keep at it.

I forgot to mention about the waist pack. I'm a pretty hairy guy, so I sweat bucket loads, hence why the need for a waistpack. I only took a 700L water bottle, and really struggled on the way back of a 12 mile run, walk.

AG I think I will be averaging between 11 and 15 minute miles for the Manchester marathon, I should be okay with the shut off point of 7.5 hours, So with the 9 weeks left, I'm going to buiild up on endurance. I also think I will be walking most of it.

Hope all okay with people? 

25/02/2013 at 14:01

Hi All,

TST I thought i had better just check up on the shut off time for my Manchester marathon. It's only 6 hours. But even if its the very last person, then someone willl be out with you. But  we have to run on pavements, and there will still be a finish line, and still get your medal.

I had better pull my socks up.

Hope all okay, and not too posts?

25/02/2013 at 14:24

Afternoon all.

TST,welcome back but sorry things have been rough ((( ))) 

Think they introduced the time limit this year. Think it was after the antics of LLoyd Scott in his diving suit/snail etc.  Who will you be running for?  Let us know your fundraising page when you have one.

25/02/2013 at 14:43

Heavens Sinbad I'm not a teacher - I couldn't hack it!  I'm the Headteacher's PA at a local secondary school and love every second of it (mostly).

Have been keeping track of you on FB TST so stick with it.  Hope it's sooner rather than later that you get your counselling.  I might go to VLM as a spectator this year - depends on weather - first time ever - I've only ever been there before as a competitor or a volunteer on the baggage lorries!

Sinbad I think you had a lucky break - so long on a treadmill would drive me bonkers!

Take care all

25/02/2013 at 17:56

Hi All,

Trigger2 I have a psychology degree. I have an understanding of where I take it. One of 3 ways, into psychotherapy, of which there are 3 main ones. Into Investigative psychology, which would get me into working with killers, and sexual abusers  of any age, and or Social Services, but I don't have a driving licence of which you need.

Wow trigger2 first time in watching VLM, I may have seen you on tv.

Sounds like your best off out of teaching .

You take care trigger2.

Hope your all okay.

5 miles in the morning, on the roads, and in cold weather.

26/02/2013 at 15:36

Hi All,

I'm drunk. I'm at job centre in mornng. I'm not workshire. But am worried whether they will force me, into somethig I can't cope with.

Hope your all okay?

I'm not workshy.

26/02/2013 at 17:59

chalk it down to experience, Sinbad. tomorrow is a new day.

26/02/2013 at 20:07

Hi All,

I alaways do AG.

A few weeks ago I think it was Panorama program, looked into the schemes of people on benifits of the schemes to help people back into work.

One such company classed people such as myself as "Thieving little bastards."

Believe me I have tried to stay stay in work. The longest I have stayed in work was one year, in the whole of my working life.

Just like in school, I have had a broken glass bottle to my face, complaining how full time staff taking away part time hours. I was bullied in a workplace, and when I it eneded up in an industrail tribunral, although I won the case, I walked out, mentally and physically exhausted.

Then when I suffered a nervous breakdown and was in hospital for 3 weeks, I had a knife at my throat by a fellow patient.

I managed to get into the army for basic training *the Royal Artillery, at Wollich Arsenal), I was blackballed, This means you are pinned down by other recruicts, stripped naked and my scrotum and penis was covered in black boot polish. This is done because I kept getting the whole block, 60 recruits or more, as I kept getting them beasted. Whereby, all recruits are phsycially rained to exhaustion. I was kicked out,even though I wanted to stay and serve my country.

I only found out some 6 years ago, I couldn't keep up in any of the tasks was down to Dyspraxia.

So please, don't punish me any further fr something that I didn't know about or control.

27/02/2013 at 20:45

Hi All,

I start with a wo ho. My OMM waist pack has arrived. I feel now that I doon't have to worry about rehydration on long runs.

May I ask? have I put anyone off, chatting to me in this forum. I worry I go too deep?

It went well at job centre today. They now know what you do in this forum. They have accepted I'm not even ready for voluntary work. But want me to get to On track, and take baby steps forward.

I'm sorry if I go too deep. Your all I have. And I appreciate it.

27/02/2013 at 20:59

Evening sinbad and all.

When are you going to try your waist pack out sinbad?  Glad it went well at the job centre   What do they plan for getting you on track?

27/02/2013 at 21:17

Hi All,

Thanks for reply Cinder's. Hope your okay?

All being well Friday will try pack. Chill day Thursday

I hope to try and get to On Trak some time next week.

On Trak helps you try to stay on cutting down alchololo levels.

I hope not repeat myself.

How is everyone esle doing? Would like to know how you all are.

28/02/2013 at 11:24

Hello everyone.  So, I'm broken again   Went down a pothole in the road on Monday and have sprained my ankle, not the best thing to be doing 8 weeks away from the VLM!  Still, at least it's not broken and I don't seem to have damaged any of the ligaments or tendons or whatever too badly.  Have been RICEing the last two days and totally resting and although the swelling hasn't gone down I am able to put weight on it now and hobble about.  Not likely to be doing any walking training for another week or so but can swim next week which should help keep my fitness up a bit.  There's no way I'll get all the long walks in now, but at least because I'm walking it anyway it won't put so much strain on my body on the day so I should be ok.  If I miss the cut off then I miss it, but it's a battle between me and the distance now and I'm going to finish it come hell or high water!   Am getting a lot of help and advice from my running coach and sports massage lady, who has given me some exercises to do over the next few days, so I'm in good hands.  Also am booked in for the physio next Friday so hoping they will give me a bit of advice about if I should get a proper support bandage for the longer walks I can fit in and for on the day. 

That's good about the On Trak Sinbad.  How long does it take for the referral to go through?

Hope everyone else is well  

28/02/2013 at 15:39

Hi All,

I can make a self referal, I will try and get the courage to go next Wednesday.

Sorry to hear about your injury TST. I hope it heals and as safely as it can be.

Cinder's. I  went to the shop with waist pack on, I like it.

Only bad point is that the cord on the zips are not completly been seaaled. Although you can pull the cord on the zip out, it has to be done deliberatly. I can't understand why they have done that. It means you can't put a lock on it. But I think they may have thought as soon as your run is finished you take thhe pack off.

If weather is likeit is today, I will try and do 20 miles, even if its just walking. Just to see what time I  can do it in.

Trigger2 how is your injury healing?

Hope your all ok?

01/03/2013 at 08:11

Hi All,

Morning. I'm off out for a beer. I have had enough  stress this week. I spent too much, and won't have the cash for my new outboard engine for my boat till at least the first or second week in April.

I had better explain. She is moored right by the harbour steps in the outer harbour, and when the schools finish for holidays, I have nothing but trouble with them. I'm not against kids. They are the future after all, and they get bored and hang around the harbour. I'm right at the back, and when the tide is out they tend to walk across the mud to the harbour steps, and mess around with the tenders (the little boat you use to row out to your boat).

The Sea cadets is just at the harbour, and they have up to 50 boats for them to use. But some kids don't like uniforms or discipline. So I will just have to see if I can get a move somewhere else.

Hope your all okay.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.