Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,221 to 30,240 of 31,542 messages
01/03/2013 at 11:04

Early start Sinbad. Well it is Friday I suppose.

Shame about your boat, where is it moored? i.e. where in the country? I don't know the first things about boats, but i've had fun whenever I've been on one. My missus spent a lot of her childhood on boats around Vancouver so she loves it too. If i ever win a stack of cash on the lottery I'd like to learn to sail and buy a small sailboat.

Good luck with the recovery TST. I had a sports massage a couple of weeks ago, and it was the single most painful experience I've had. Worse than childbirth.

I've totted up my booze for Feb and it came to 31 units. I have a feeling March might be a bit higher. I'm going to Snowdonia hiking next weekend, and will probably have a few then. Plus meeting up with friends a few times over March, shouldn't get too messy, and i'm intending on being pretty moderate as I can't afford hangovers at this stage in marathon prep.

01/03/2013 at 14:42

Worse than childbirth eh?   Actually they do sound rather painful.

sinbad, hope you are ok.  Can you get your boat moved?

TST, how's the ankle today?  Have you thought about approaching the council re the pothole?

Got a poorly little fella and a poorly car today.  Both hot...........little C a temperature and the car, well it had smoke coming out of the steering column!

01/03/2013 at 17:54

ha ha, yeah, "worse than childbirth" is a glib comment i make whenever I cut my finger or stub my toe, especially if there are mothers in ear-shot, just to see if anyone bites  

But it was a pretty painful massage. No whale music and not so much as a scented candle in sight.

I'm no kwik-fitter, but the steering wheel isn't supposed to smoke, right?

01/03/2013 at 20:11

Ha ha, didn't really bite.  My one and only experience of childbirth was over in 1 hour 10 mins so it was more painful to run a marathon 

No, it's not.  And now the horn doesn't work!!!

02/03/2013 at 13:07

Hi All,

Lol with Cinder's over the car horn. Hope the little recovers soon. Your lucky with the birth only taking a little over an hour.

AG Cinder's she's moored in Scarborough. Its  just being michievious, I spoke with the habour office yesterday, he knows of a mooring a little further up  out oof the way of the harbour  steps, it will cost a little moor but worth  it for peacee of mind. In addition I will get more water time. In other words with me being higher up, it means I can stay out of the harbour longer.

AG Your more than welcome anytime you want to sail. She is only a baby though, not a big fancy yatch. Hope you win stacks of cash on the lottery.

I did 10 milles this morning, all hills, in a moving time of 2hours 58 minutes. I coiuldn't push myself any further. I had 6 pints Friday, and expected too muchh of myself. I feel the run was more like 12 to 14 miles. I'm also going to stick to the program, if I do an extra two miles ojn the long run, I can make the 20 miles in 4 weeks. I'm also determined to get to on trak first thing Monday morning. I have had 2 or 3 weeks binge drinking, then expect myself to cover the distance. I'm scared and apprehensive, I won't make the finish line. I have also learnt that having enough water is one thing, but after about 7 miles (for me), you really do need those energy bars.

Hope I have not bored you too much. I know at times its too much to read but helpps me get it out of my system.

Hope your all okay?

03/03/2013 at 12:23

Hi All,

You know something I'm hated everywhere I go, and I'm pushed out of everyones company, if not straight away, but over a period of time. Its not percieved, its true, in the whole of Huddersfield, there;s just one person I sit and gett drunk with. Yet I know its the beer, that pushes people away. Yet sober I struggle after a few days.

I've gone back to saiing and running, as there what kept me going when I was a kid. I was never the fastest at running, but it was a sae haven for me from everyone.

I am panicing as I have to save like hell, to buy an outboard engine by the beginning of April to move my boat. But also to get out sailing. Perhaps this year I may yet get the chance to sail to Whitby.

Also panicking over the marathon lol, if Istick to the program, I may just get round in about 8 hours lol.

Hope your all okay?

04/03/2013 at 09:43

Hi All,

Wow what a run can do for a person.

I just done a 4 mile run in 1 hour 05 minutes. A pb, when I stated in November my time was 1 hour 21 mins.

Its still slow, but I will try again when in Manchester, on the flat.

Hope your all okay?

04/03/2013 at 14:17

Well done sinbad, great running

04/03/2013 at 14:50

Hi All,

Thanks Cinder's. It's hrd to work on distance on its own, nice when you get a good time.

Wo ho, someone posted. It was starting to feel like a hermit in here

04/03/2013 at 16:34

I'm still here sinbad, just still looking after the poorly people! 

Didn't run over the weekend but did marshal which was great in the sun yesterday

04/03/2013 at 19:51

Hi All,

How are the poorly people doing?

I had emailed parkrun to say I would volunteer as a marshal but I didn't get a reply.

I won't try again this week, will try next.

It was lovely this past weekend.

I'm sorry if my posts are all over the place. I'm very disliked here in huddersfield, but happens every where I go, no matter how hard I try. So I get drunk, then try and stay sober for a while then I start drinking again. I really want to stop for good.

It's just as SL posted one time. Being stone cold sober watching other's saying and lol at the same old things, and repeating conversation is totally true.

I'm now in on my own, my boat and running, and in here is keeping me going. But I'm scared to meet people, as sooner or later I will have a PTS episode, then the binge drinking kicks in BPD, then I try to start all over again, its mentally and physically exhausting, knowing that the PTS really scares those around me, and I don't blame them for not wanting to  know me.

I did my shopping today, so I will try again to get to On Trak again in the morning. Its getting in through those dam doors, and then keep going.

I'm sorry for being down the bulk of my posts. I don't know any where else that may have shared some of or all of my experiences.

Is this natural feelings, as you spend more time sober, and concentrating on running etc?

Hope your all okay?

05/03/2013 at 09:37
Morning everyone - not popped in for a while so I hope everyone's OK.

Cinders - sorry to hear the little fella isn't too good and I hope he picks up soon.

Sinbad - I hope you made it to On Trak today and if you did, it will be good to hear about it. Going through the door is usually the hardest part, as you know. In the short time we've got to know you on here you seem to have had plenty of success. You decided not to be bullied by so-called friends, had a good result at the job centre, have made a big effort with the boat and, of course, with running. You're also very self-aware, which is always helpful in the long term. Are you having any ongoing support for the PTS and BPD? Oh, and there's no need to apologise for posting when you're down - plenty of us have done that!

I've slipped into a bit of a rut with drinking and no running again - not too far, I hope, to pull it back and just a few months ago things were much better...where's that reset button? Life has been a little tougher than usual, with several people close to me being diagnosed with serious illnesses recently. I also had to take one of our little cats to the vet to be put to sleep on Saturday, which is always a heartbreaking job. Still, it's important to take control of what you can and not fret too much about what you can't!

I hope everyone else is doing well.
06/03/2013 at 12:54

((( Apps ))) Very sorry to hear about your cat and bad news about people you know. 

I hope you can find your reset button and get back to where you want to be.

Sinbad, did you make it to On Trak?

Happy Birthday KC

Things rolling on here, little C still not quite his perky self and OH finally given in and seen a physio re his crippling back pain.  Little C has also been flagged as underweight by the schools' nurse team so that's a worry for us

06/03/2013 at 14:06

Afternoon everyone

*hugs* Apps, sounds like you are having a rough time of it at the moment.  I echo Cinders about finding your reset button and hopefully you will be inspired to get out and have a little run now the weather appears to be warming up a bit.

Sinbad, I'm also wondering if you made it to On Trak?

Hope Little C perks up again soon Cinders and that Mr C gets some relief from the physio.  Try not to worry about Little C's weight, he seems a happy, healthy little boy with plenty of energy so I'm sure he's fine.  I used to be really thin when I was younger and they probably would have classed me as underweight, but it was just becuase I charged around all the time and burned off all my food!  Shame the same thing doesn't happen now

Had a letter from the counselling people saying it will be about 12 weeks before there is a space, although I spoke to them yesterday and it could be a little longer as I've asked for either early morning or late afternoon/evening appointments so I don't have to take lots of time off work. 

Ankle is feeling a bit better now, doesn't start to hurt until about 3pm which is much better than hurting all day!  Can walk on it fairly normally now although I'm keeping off it as much as possible to let it heal.  Can't wait for the physio appointment on Friday to arrive, I'm getting really stressed about what they may say and just want to know.  Dreampt last night that the physio said that if I walked the VLM then I'd bugger it up so badly I'd never walk again.   Am sure that won't happen but I hate the sitting around all the time and the not knowing how long it will take to heal. 

Hope everyone is ok

06/03/2013 at 14:46

Hi All,

Thanks for that appaation. Sorry to hear your having a tough time at the minute, hope it improves soon. You have  the right idea, about concentrating on the things that are working.

Wow, Cinder's its all happenning for you to. Don't forget to look after yourself to. I'm sure things will get back to some form of routine soon.

TST sorry about hearing about your ankle still giving you problems. And I'm sure that your counselling is well worth the patience waiting for it to happen.

Although I made it to On Trak, they didn't open till 1pm, so I ended up getting really drunk instead. I'm drinking twice a week now, and since January I have put on half a stone.

I am recieiving on going suport for the PTS and BPD, but with all thats happenning, I'mstruggling to contact my psychologist, to know what and where to go next.

On the plus side I rang my key worker while in pub, and explained what happened, she has made a time for me to meet her on the 20th March, and go back to On Trak then. It can take 2 hours for the paperwork to be completed.

Thanks for bringing things back into perspective apparition. I forget just how much I'm doing at any one time. I hope you find that reset button.

I don't want to go into town, but I'm going back onto my weight watchers meals, and there only £1 in Iceland whereas there about £2.50 in Morrisions. I will see how it goes.

I was meant to be going to Leeds Met Uni open evenning tonight, but I just that I will be tring to do too much, if I went. Not the hangover though. I just need to slow up a little.

Hope your all okay. Try and be kind to yourselves, you all doing your best for yourself and your families.

07/03/2013 at 14:12

Hi All,

There changing the software again. by March 20th. I tried to log in with these details and it just would not let me.

I'm worried that I will lose all my friends, as I tried to register with the new software it would not accept my details saying my birthdate is not correct.

I worry as you are the first group of people that has not judged me, or pushed me out, I really appreciate that.

Its saying its incorrect format. simple saying YYYY.

I have no idea what do please help and advise.

07/03/2013 at 14:29

Who is changing their software sinbad? 

07/03/2013 at 14:29

I haven't seen anything about them changing the software Sinbad.  You must be logged in or you couldn't post.  I think you can message the moderators with questions, try that if you are worried.

07/03/2013 at 15:09

Hi All,

this all happened about 2 hours ago. I have it on my tool bar.

I tried all sorts.

They said that we won't be able to put our  emails or contact details on  screen.

I'm telling truth honestly.

That they had been testing the new software with some regulars, and that they gave it the thumbs up. That they couldn't give an exact date but we as users should work on the date of 20th March.

I will try and post the url on next post.

I no idea on how to make font bigger either

07/03/2013 at 15:12

as promised

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/runnersworld/null;sz=728x90;brand=;slot=728x90.1;ord=123456789?

http://www.runnersworld.com/sites/default/files/subscribe_20130225.jpg

Search Google Appliance Enter the terms you wish to search for.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/16653388696206017845

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/runnersworld/null;sz=150x186;brand=;slot=150x186.1;ord=123456789?

• Running Log
  • Tools
  • Fitness Calculators
  • Pace Calculators
  • Race Finder
  • Recipe Finder
  • Route Finder
  • Shoe Finder
  • SmartCoach
  • Store Finder
  • What to Wear
  • Forums
    • FORUMS HOME
    • Runner Communities
    • General Discussion
    • Shoes & Stuff
    • Training
    • Injury Prevention
    • Nutrition & Weight Loss
    • Races & Places
  • The Loop
  • Columns
    • Ask Coach Jenny
    • Ask the Race Director
    • Ask the Sports Dietitian
    • Ask the Sports Doc
    • The Big Guy Blog
    • Dean's Blog
    • Footloose
    • For Beginners Only
    • From the Editor
    • Fuel School
    • Mile Markers
    • Peak Performance
    • The Ravenous Runner
    • Remy's World
    • Sweat Science
  • Video
    • VIDEO HOME
    • Training
    • Shoes & Gear
    • Nutrition
    • Race Coverage
    • Course Tours
    • Feature Video
    • Sponsor Video
  • RW Half
  • Running Times
    • RUNNING TIMES HOME
    • High School
    • College
    • Masters
  • Index
  • Help
    • Help / Customer Service
    • Magazine Subscription Account
    • Website FAQ
    • Contact Us

• TRAINING & PLANS TRAINING HOMERace TrainingWorkoutsRunning TipsStretchingCold Weather RunningTriathlon Training              Ultra MarathonsPace Calculators TRAINING PLANS HOME5K Training Plans10K Training PlansHalf-Marathon Training PlansMarathon Training PlansRunner's World ChallengeSmartCoachFree Training Guides
    • RACES RACES & PLACES HOMEWhere to RunRacesElite RunnersRace DirectorsChicago MarathonNew York City Marathon          Boston MarathonOlympicsRace Finder
    • SHOES & GEAR SHOES & GEAR HOME          ShoesApparelTreadmillsElectronicsMusicOther
    Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.