Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,321 to 30,340 of 31,285 messages
25/03/2013 at 12:44

Oops fell of the wagon last night and have a thumper of a headache this morning - not good

26/03/2013 at 08:05

Hi ALL,

i'M trying with coke, but imind is strong but well you knowthe rest lol.

sorry to hear you had a few last night trigger2, one day at a time .

26/03/2013 at 10:25

Hi All,

I should know by now. But when do you start getting the shakes in hands after a having a few beers? Mine have just started on day 6?

If I have anything left aftter I buy my engine Weednesday I may be goinng out Thursday. More for company than having a binge. I've only spoken to my mum on the phone or in the shop in3 days.

The weather is still bad here, we had a light shower some time during the night, and a snow shower this morning.

26/03/2013 at 11:32

Never mind Trigger, and the headache served as a painful reminder no doubt!

Sinbad, yes I replaced booze with food when I stopped and it's very common for people to do that, especially with sugary junk foods as it gives your brain a hit of endorphins or something.  I'm not sure what you mean by the shakes, do you mean getting them because you've not had a drink?  I've never had that but from friends who have it's been fairly quick after they've stopped drinking, so are you sure the shaking is actually from not drinking?

Still freezing cold and windy here but no snow at the moment, although that could all change at any time!

26/03/2013 at 11:37

All good today!  Freezing cold out there and it's going to take all my resolved to run 3 miles when I get home tonight.

Really upset by the scenes of sheep being dug out of snow on the news yesterday and the poor lambs that had been born but frozen to death.  Dreadful

26/03/2013 at 13:43

Hi All,

Alas it can't be helped, and the farmers and rescue teams can only do so much Mother nature can be so cruel.

Wo ho I recently got my mail (7 days after being posted), I got my new berth for my boat. Its going to be a little awkward to get to , but its loads safer from where I am now.

So thats my new mooring, and buying my outboard engine in 2 days. I looked at mooring on the internet. I will be hopefully earlly May a small inflatable Canadian canoe (£150), I have been reassured by the distributor that its very stable, although tight on the legs. I don't mind that, its stability, I'm worried about.

trigger2 I'm sure you will get out tonight for your run.

26/03/2013 at 19:00

Hi All,

Well I'll be blowed,although a little shaky, I got a lot of housework completed,I hate it, and I have to be really bored, before I do it lol, thats how bad the weather is, were looking at a foot and a half here.

I have a few moe jobs in the home Wednesday,then hopefully I willhave caught up with myelf, at least the weather has done that for me.

trigger2 did you do your run?

Cinder's how'slittle c doing with his swimming?

TST how is the coursee going?

Doe'sanyone know SL is doing. I'm a bit worried, not heard from herin a while?

AG (hope okay to abbreviate it), how are you doing with the poker, and training?

This is me with my sober, but shaky head on, wishing to hear how your all getting on, while I am sensible.

Hope all is well with each of your training?

26/03/2013 at 19:09

Hii All,

Also on the plus side. I started a thread a couple of weeks ago. Its reached just over the 100 posts. I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Hope your all okay?

27/03/2013 at 10:48

Morning all!

Didn't get out for my run last night.  Son had a tough time at work and it doesn't bode too well for the future.  He's now been told that he won't be paid £12k p.a. plus a day's college but the apprenticeship wage of £2.65 per hour.  On top of that they changed his hours of work from 10-6 to 9-7.  Not quite sure what they're playing at and I'm trying to find out if there are a maximum number of hours that an apprentice can work.  It's the last thing he needs - it was all looking so positive.  He doesn't have a contract yet and even more upsetting is that they also want him to do sales.  Not a happy night last night.

Glad you're feeling a lot more positive Sinbad.  Sometimes we just have to hang on in there

Last day at work for me - Easter holidays from tomorrow until 15 April - yippee!

TST I printed out all those exercises plus the ones that I had and will be making a concerted effort with them.  Not quite sure how I'll manage because 3 x a day is quite an undertaking.  Today is the first day that my knee hasn't twinged so may try it out with an easy 5k tomorrow morning.

Hope you all have good days.

27/03/2013 at 11:17

Morning everyone

Well done on doing all the housework Sinbad!  The course was only for the day on Saturday, just a little introduction thingy.

That's rubbish Trigger   Does he have anything in writting from them at all?  A quick rummage has brought up these sites which might help

https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide/applications-and-qualifications

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/

Or you could try calling ACAS as they are very helpful and if they can't help they'll tell you who can. 

I wouldn't worry about doing the exercises three times a day Trigger, once should be sufficient and don't try and do all of them every day, rotate them about a bit.  At least that was the advice from my physio about doing them.  Really the main thing is to continue to do them after you think you don't need to do them any more as really you will do!

Seeing the sports masseur today so should get the go-ahead to restart walking training.  Hope so or I'm going to be in trouble as the VLM is only three weeks away on Sunday

27/03/2013 at 11:59

Morning

Ditto TST, does he have something in writing from them, letter or job offer?  That stinks re changing the pay and hours.

Good luck tonight TST, hope it goes well and you get the go ahead.

sinbad, glad you're feeling a bit more upbeat.  How is the weather your way, still snowy.  Well done on the housework

Little C goes up to Stage 4 this afternoon and into the big pool.  He's quite nervous but he had a private lesson with the new instructor so hope he'll be ok

27/03/2013 at 13:00

Thanks for your support (and the links).  He doesn't have anything in writing at the moment but they say they'll give him a contract this week.

28/03/2013 at 09:17

Hi All,

Hope it goes well for your son trigger2

Massive hangover, I spent £30 on beer yesterday

Hope your all okay.

I feel sick now.

28/03/2013 at 19:16

Happens to us all Sinbad.  Hope you feel better now.

Managed to contact apprenticeships org and they've said it's a maximum of 48 hours so got that sorted.  He's hanging on in there.  It's tough at the moment for the youngsters I know someone who's daughter is a graduate yet working as an intern for no wages and just getting her fares paid plus £5 a day for lunch.  Awful situation for people to be in.

Freezing cold out there a the moment.  Have a handicap race on Saturday - hope it's a little warmer then.

28/03/2013 at 19:54

Hi All,

Thanks for that trigger2. Yes I feel somewhat better now.

I agree with you that its so hard for young people to get paid with or without any training.

I understand them, as people can't cope with my issues, and dare not  take the risk in employing me.

Its been a little warmer here today, the snowis starting to melt a little, and we actually got some sunshine today.

I have volunteered for the PR on the 6th April, it will give me a chance to get to  know the route.

Hope your all okay?

I'm hoping to go to the gym and get on the tredmill for a slow 5k, Ifeel that I'm starting again from scratch. Ar well once more into the breach.

29/03/2013 at 13:07
Morning everyone. How was your race Trigger?
How are you feeling now Sinbad?
I managed a 2.7 mile walk yesterday in just under an hour had some pain in the ligaments but overall it was ok. Ankle swelled up later so have decided to wear the tubi-grip for all training and on the day of the VLM. Am doing 6 miles tomorrow so that will be a big test and give me an idea of if I will be able to finish the VLM before cut off.
Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend!
29/03/2013 at 14:02

Hi  All,

Yes trigger2 sorry for not asking, I ask as TST has said, how was the race?

That could be a good idea with the turbo grip TST.

I have finally recovered.

Wow I'm in a Tiz Waz right now. I don't know what to do about buying my engine, yet I need one to move my present boat to its new mooring.

However, I out of curiosity sent an email to a yatch broker in Cyprus, asking about live aboard yatchs. I said that it would be at least  6 months before I was in a posistion to buy. But he said that theree might be one that he has in mind for me. My head is blown away.

Just had to tell someone,  the chances are, that I wont manage it, as I did stress i was putting feelers outto see what I could get for 6 months time. But he said moorings are expensive, and would need a trailer to mover he.

My dreAM has always been to live aboard a boat, I just don't know if this will happen, I doubt it, help. I knowit wont come off. I said i could manage £400 a month until it is paid. But I doubt if owner will go for that.

29/03/2013 at 14:20

Hi All,

I have just had a reply from Cyprus yatch brokers.

He said don't get a loan as there are plenty of boats for sale there.

But it will cost me £50 a month for storage on the ground (not in the water).

I will be saving hard from now on.

Gosh, this turns my life on its head.

29/03/2013 at 14:58

Hi All,

I remember some time ago,on one of the rare occassions watching a follow up of Dragons Den.

One of them said, that during a recession is the perfect time to invesst in a business.

Although Cyprus is in a mess like a lot of EU countries, people will eventually want totake holidays once again there.

I have to do something with the money I have now. I have accepted that no one is going to take me on for work, so I will have too find some way of doing something on my own.

This is a possible way medoing that something, I'm scared but what other choice do Ihave?

Any suggestions?

Hope your all okay?

29/03/2013 at 17:45

Hi All,

That boat is not even for sale, even though he made the suggestion lol/

Hope all okay.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.