Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

30,701 to 30,720 of 31,442 messages
08/07/2013 at 16:13

Hi All,

EDI point taken, times will come in time. Its the distance that is the key.

Wow that sounds daunting a fell run in this weather.

Perhaps its a question of maybe start out for a short walk and see how you feel. Or rest up and us it as a rest day for the build up for the weekend?

08/07/2013 at 16:41

EDI, that fell running sounds hot and hard work, is it this weekend?  

Come to Kent, we have no sun, a fresh sea breeze and it's actually a tad on the cold side!  

A change from yesterday where I got a little burnt!  

08/07/2013 at 19:31

Fell running is a flippin' nightmare, Cinders.  What I particularly dislike about it is reaching the top of one mountain and being able to see the next one you've got to run up.  Obviously it means going down, 'n' up, 'n' down.  Running along the ridges is nice though.  It's more Mrs EDIs bag than mine I think.  Here, I'll try and post a photo; if it works, that's Mrs EDI in the distance...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/tosh0987/DSCF3403_zpse5632ccb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/tosh0987/DSCF3393_zps38c68405.jpg

Kent's weather sounds nice; it's been really hot here; still can't complain after the past two-years worth of weather.  This time last year it was probably raining.

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 19:32
08/07/2013 at 20:44

Hi All,

EDI I tried to look at pic but says you have to sign in.

I guess Mrs EDI doe's some of your type pf running to?

it really is a UK triat were never satisfied with the weather.

09/07/2013 at 08:17

Hi All,

Was out for my run by 06.30 and roads were clear, and there was a nice breeze. Perfect running weather really.

My time was 48.47 minuets. An improvement on yesterday, where I got up, and did some housework before going for my run. Strange really, I tried to use it as a warm up.

Hope all okay.

09/07/2013 at 15:53

That looks mountainous EDI 

Lol sinbad, no, we just talk about the weather a lot!!

10/07/2013 at 08:56
Hi, I gave up about 3 years ago and saying no have never been a problem to me. If you're going to do it then IMO it's best to stop totally straightaway, not on a gradual basis.

10/07/2013 at 10:33

Morning everyone

Welcome along Designer Handbags!  Congratulations on staying sober for three years   To be honest, what worked for me was stopping straight away, but it doesn't always work for everyone and sometimes depends on the severity of your problem.  I think everyone finds their own way eventually. 

Does look quite hilly EDI!  I'd be rubbish at fell running, nothing round here to practice on!  Flat running, yes, hilly running, no

Well done on getting out for your runs Sinbad. Glad that you are improving

Well, today is the day - again - for the board meeting that will sort out Mr TST's wages banding, so keep your fingers crossed for this afternoon that it actually goes ahead this time.  Don't think I can cope with the stress if something happens to cancel it again   We may know the result this afternoon, but as the meeting will take several hours it's likely to be tomorrow morning.

10/07/2013 at 11:27

Good luck TST - everything crossed today - my son has an interview so hope we both have some good news

10/07/2013 at 13:40

Welcome DH2

Good luck to you and Mr TST and also to your son trigger

10/07/2013 at 21:48
Designer Handbags2 wrote (see)
Hi,If you're going to do it then IMO it's best to stop totally straightaway, not on a gradual basis.

Welcome DH2, but can I just point out that if someone is physically addicted to alcohol, 'just stopping' is a very bad idea.  Heroin withdrawal is something terrible to suffer with, but it's not as dangerous as 'just stopping' when you're physically addicted to alcohol.  What can happen is that alkies take fits, bash their heads and die or injure themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal_syndrome

Ideally, alkies get a medically supervised detoxification in a treatment centre; 2nd best is a supervised home detox from the alcohol counselling services; but in reality GPs often palm alkies off with low dosages of Valium (to prevent fits) and some oral vitamins for a self administered 'home detox'.

Other alkies taper off (very difficult to do) over a few days and then stop.

It's why my GP told me not to stop drinking.  I remember thinking, "Mrs EDI isn't going to believe me when I tell her what the doctor told me!!" 

It took another few years of drinking before I did actually stop though.

If anyone is in any doubt about whether they're physically addicted to alcohol, or not, then their GP is the best person to see.  Or if you don't want anything on your medical records, contact your local drugs 'n' alcohol counselling services for some advice.

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 21:50
11/07/2013 at 10:29

Morning everyone.  Not happy this morning, the result is back in and they have placed them on the same band as they are currently on.  So it appears that you get paid as much for sitting on your ar*e in a office answering phones as you do putting yourself on the front line as a lone worker, getting abused by patients, risking catching dodgy diseases and doing a physically demanding job.  The NHS is a fecking joke.  Only Mr TST's boss can appeal the decision, so waiting to see what he says about it all.  Funnily enough they've been asking Mr TST to train new people and take on more responsibility as he's so experienced at the job, for the same money of course; somehow I don't think he'll be saying yes to that now. 

How did your son get on Trigger?

11/07/2013 at 13:10

Sorry to hear that TST.  Hardly seems fair but these days nothing fails to surprise me anymore.  Son did ok yesterday - it was one of those "group" interviews so we just have to wait and see now whether he's called back to progress further.  Can't uncross those fingers just yet

11/07/2013 at 14:35

Sorry to hear that too TST, hope the boss puts in an appeal.

Keeping the fingers crossed trigger

12/07/2013 at 13:36

Afternoon everyone   Bit more chirpy today!  Andy's line manager was really annoyed about how the banding came back and is going through the information we were sent to see where she thinks they should have graded it higher.  We will be appealing   Mr TST spoke to a paramedic mate of his who was initially banded two bands down from what was expected and on appeal it went up to where it should have been, and someone else in a different bit of the department was also raised two bands on appeal so it would seem it's quite common to be underbanded.  Mr TST isn't able to speak to his boss properly until Monday, but he will be telling him they are appealing, whether he likes it or not!

Lets hope he hears back that he's got a second interview Trigger.  Hate those group ones, not sure how they can tell anything about a person by those.

So am feeling a bit pleased with myself at the moment; I've managed to deal with the whole week without having a massive food binge, which is a huge thing for me and I'm hoping it's a good sign.  I also got up early this morning and started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, which was a bit of a killer, but not as bad as I'd expected.  Back to running tomorrow as well, panicking a bit as my 5k event is on 21 July and I've not run in nearly two weeks because of the problem with my back.  Think I'm going to do something like run 3, walk 2 and repeat until I've done 3 miles and see how it goes.  If it goes ok then I'll try run 4, walk 2 on Monday.  Feeling more nervous about this than I did the VLM!

Hope everyone else is ok

14/07/2013 at 19:18

Things seem quiet around here!  Sinbad, how's it going?  TST how's the back to running going?  Trigger; did your son get that job?

Me?  Just back from a fell racing weekend in the Brecons; man was it hot!!  1st day a race up Pen Y Fan, 2nd day a 10 miler up and around the Fan Y Big Horseshoe (on very tired legs).  1st race started at midday, the 2nd race started at 11.00 am; so we didn't avoid the heat.

Brilliant weekend though; highly recommend it.  Loads of us camped in a local farmers field; we had a big fire going, food and a laugh; Mrs EDI won some beer and wine, but we gave that away.  I don't want to drink often, but I did kind of miss it then, but I guess I've drank my quote, and more.  **sigh**

14/07/2013 at 20:40

Well done EDI, that must have been so hot.  Camping sounded great fun

Hot here too but there was no running, in the sea yesterday and ice skating today, much cooler

19/07/2013 at 13:54

Gosh, quiet on here!  Is everyone out in the sunshine?! 

So, have my 5k on Sunday, luckily it's at 9am so hopefully won't be too hot. It's two laps of a local town centre so Mr TST can be on standby on the course with a water bottle for when I go past as I doubt they'll have a water station for a 5k.  Am getting a bit nervous already so I'll be terrible by Sunday morning!  Did 2.5 miles yesterday as run 5, walk 2 and then a slow 2 mile trott this morning as pretty much a whole run!  Took me nearly 30 minutes to do 2 miles and I had a little walk break at 20 minutes, but I'm absolutely stoked as I've not run for 20 minutes without a problem for over a year!

19/07/2013 at 14:34

Go TST, hope your 5k goes ok on Sunday  Which one is it?

19/07/2013 at 15:55

Hi All,

Sorry for not posting hope its okay to post still?

TST Cinder's trigger2 EDI been browsing your posts some good running going on.

Mine has come to a full stop, so I will not do Blackpool. Instaed I'm just going to concentrate on the 5k PR. I did one when I was on the boat in Scarborough in 45.27, nearly a minuet faster than my previous PB.

I have seen the nurse at On Trak, and due to see the alcohol DR on the 12th August. All blood tests etc are ok, so I'm going to give the tablets a go, although the side effects are feeling sick and feeling sedated. I just want to get and keep off the booze.

I don't have the internet at home at the min, BT internet is too strong a wireless signal, and my laptop has given up the ghost. So I will be in library for time being.

Glad to see people are doing so well.

Hope its okay for me to resume posting?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.