Giving up the booze

Can I?!!!

15,381 to 15,400 of 31,556 messages
24/09/2006 at 13:10
Hi Egg! Really glad to hear it all went well - you take good care of yourself now and REST! (((Egg)))

Hi Yeo and apps :)
24/09/2006 at 13:17
Well it's truly great to be back... so much nicer chillin here than in the hospital.. they were really great though I do have to say and the food was pretty nice.. but you just cant beat your own home!!

Thanks for the hugs.. very gentle at the mo ;o

LOL

I'm already planning what to do instead of running but not going to do anything much the next few days.. see how I go towards the weekend.. she said ex bike is a good choice but no running for 6 weeks min

Sounds like while I have been zonking merrily on morphine and pain killeers you two've been working like billy-o!!

24/09/2006 at 13:25
Egg - I have a feeling that you'll defy medical science and run inside 6 weeks but do take it easy - exercise bike sounds like a plan.

elle - well done on the 20 miler yesterday - must be a freat feeling!s the training better ths time than for your first marathon?

24/09/2006 at 13:38
thanks apps :) It was a great feeling to get to the end yesterday - still can't quite believe I did it. I went the same route that i used for my first marathon 20 miler except that time I only got to 7 miles before my knee packed up and had to walk the rest - so yes, it's definitely a lot, lot better! Feeling a bit low today but I think that's probably due to tiredness more than anything.

How are things with you, apart from working too hard?
24/09/2006 at 13:43
Hiya Elle!!

Ooo it's nice to be back and yakking away..

So the training is going well then Elle? How long now?

I'll be itching to get out on the road.. going to be hard to keep it real but I do need to... I can do a fair bit of walking and also having the Ex bike will be good

I am a bit worried about taking a dive mood wise but think after today I am going to start as I mean to go on and get a routine going.. that way the 4-6 weeks recovery is really that and my running and general fitness will be better for it wont it

Is it the GNR today?

Apps.. did you plan any more events?
24/09/2006 at 14:22
Great to have you back Egg :)

I'm sure you're right - you'll be all the better for having a break from running for a while. And definitely a good idea to get a routine going - I bet the recovery time will whizz by before you know it.

GNR's next weekend I think - could be wrong.

And yes, the training's going really well thanks. Four weeks today...eeek!
24/09/2006 at 14:44
Egg - put plenty of miles in on the bike and you'll soon be ready to run (maybe a tri if the biking goes well??). I have pencilled in a couple of 10Ks (local one in three weeks and a possible on the day of Abingdon).

elle - I keep wondering if I should just do Abingdon anyway and run/walk it but I'd like my first marathon to be one I'd prepared for. I can't believe it's only 4 weeks away - I'm really looking forward to hearing how you do...if I don't do another run on the same day I might come along to support as there's loads of people doing it that I'd like to say hello to.

Apologies for poor spelling today but my keyboard is playing up and making it look like I can't spell...
24/09/2006 at 14:54
Hello all - a while since I've been on here and I know Sunday afternoons are really quiet....I should have popped in a couple of weeks back to say 'one year - no booze!' but my pooter was playing up and I don't really like posting from work. So - 1 year on and it feels fantastic - best thing I ever, ever did (apart from take up running of course!)

Hope everyone is well - not had a proper read back but it sounds like 'get well soons' are in order for you Egg?

Elle - sounds like you are really well prepared for a mara in 4 weeks... And Apps - you doing the same one? i.e. Abingdon? I'm sure you'll do fine - run/walk is a good plan, it got me round my first mara.

I did a 10k today - not a pb as was quite hilly but really enjoyed it all the same.

So nice to see you all here!
24/09/2006 at 14:57
Hi kozzie - lovely to hear from you and huge congratulations on your anniversary - what a brilliant effort! Well done on the 10K today too - anything else planned?
24/09/2006 at 15:02
Thanks! Yes - I have a couple of half maras coming up and another 10k next Sunday. I've been recovering from a stupid foot injury the last few weeks so it feels really good to be back out there working hard.........oh - and I've also sent off my application for FLM - got no chance in the ballot but I reckon a charity place will be a viable option. I also promised myself during the final 6 miles of last years mara that I would never, never do it again...hmmmm....

Anyway - hows things with you?
24/09/2006 at 16:43
Kozzie... that is brillaint - truley brilliant - well done you - make sure you get yourself something to mark that - it's a very special occasion!!

Apps... I think if it's in your head to run/walk.. go for it... why wait? Or you could go and support - that'd do my fruit in!!

Kozzie.. I've just come out of hospital.. been in for breast reduction op that I've waited 4-5 years for... am a bit sore and creaky but I'm really happy I had it done
24/09/2006 at 17:18
Hi Guys! Egg, great to see you back in here, you have mail!

Kozzie, well done on you r year off the booze.

Apps, if you go to support, why not volunteer to work at one of the aid stations? If I don't get fit enough to do FLM I am planning to do that there.

Elle, well done on your 20 miler. As for my sleep, it is getting a bit more routine, but I woke Mrs L, and possibly the street in the early hours of this morning with screaming. Apparently I was having a nightmare and really really screaming. I don't remember the dream though!
24/09/2006 at 17:34
Hi Leighton - sorry to hear about the nocturnal problems - nightmares are horrible if you remember them but can be just as scary for the other half to listen to....hope you are fit and well soon?

Egg - wow! - good for you girl, I hope you're not too sore and that you're back on top form soon. I can understand a tiny, tiny part of what you must have felt - I HATED my boobs when I was at my heaviest. I was lucky enough though for mine to shrink when the rest of me did - I also know that doesn't happen to everyone so well done for taking control and I'm sure you'll be so thrilled once everything settled back to normal.

I actually have you to blame for a large hole in my bank balance!! When I hit 6 months, you suggested I should buy something to mark it and I thought 'great idea' but decided to wait till 12 months...so, I totted up all the money I must have saved in booze/taxis/rubbish food and treated myself....ahem...all I will say is that it's sparkly and goes round my wrist. I'm not normally given to such self indulgent gestures,however, I reckon I deserve it and I feel very proud whenever I look at it..
24/09/2006 at 20:21
Hello and evening all.

Welcome back Eggs.

Had a good weekend, put Friday to bed, lots of fresh air and walking around Blackpool and this is the start of another week!
24/09/2006 at 21:08
Kozzie - well done on your year - that's fantastic! And your sparkly treat is very well deserved :)

apps - much as I'd love you to do Abingdon, I agree that it would be better for your first marathon to be one you feel prepared for. Good to hear you've got 10ks pencilled in.

Leighton - glad to hear the sleep is getting a bit more routine...and glad to hear you don't remember the nightmare.

Hi Cinders - sounds like you've had a good weekend.
24/09/2006 at 23:26
I had a steady one at East Retford today, managed to get around in 1hr 46, got to nine miles then died.
The weight is coming off though, five pounds in a week. Feel much better and the beer belly is disminishing, thankfully.

Elle, 20 miles what are you training for ?
25/09/2006 at 09:19
Morning everyone

I don't even remember making my Friday night/Saturday morning post at 0:45hrs

I'd stayed up late watching a documentary about Mark E Smith and drank too much wine. First time for a while, although I don't think I had *that* much.

The strange thing is I went to bed on Wednesday night feeling fine and woke up on Thursday with a heavy cold. Suffered all through Thurs and Fri. Woke up on Saturday morning and the cold had all but gone. Did develop a terrible hangover by mid-morning though. Think the hangover/alcohol killed the cold off.

(((Egg)))

25/09/2006 at 11:48
Morning guys!

Andy, well done on your race yesterday.

Dio, lol to your cure for a cold.

Egg, hope you're feeling ok today?

25/09/2006 at 15:33
Hello all,

Can't believe it - I just typed a great long message and then lost it, going to post in small bites from now on!!

Egglett, so happy to hear you are home and OK - take it easy ((gentle hug)). Try to enjoy your recovery time!
25/09/2006 at 15:36
Looks like lots of good things achieved over the weekend, hope everyone is having a good start to the week.
15,381 to 15,400 of 31,556 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.