Good books

7 messages
07/10/2002 at 15:38
Can anyone recommend a good book which covers the basics about running for a beginner? Thanks!
07/10/2002 at 15:56
Bruce Tulloh's "Running is easy" covers pretty much all you need to know from beginner to marathon running.

There are lots of others too, but I like this one.
07/10/2002 at 20:41
There is an excellent book called something like Running for Women by Claire Kowalska (or similar name) - it goes from beginners to marathoners and has lots of helpful advice specifically for women, as well as inspirational case studies.
08/10/2002 at 08:44
Bob Glover - New Runners Handbook 0140469303 £9.99. The Bible
09/10/2002 at 19:17
Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running by Dagny Scott. It's brilliant
09/10/2002 at 22:48
I,m with GeoffB on this one. You will not find a better book than Bob Glovers Runners Handbook. Trust me, it's the BEST.
10/10/2002 at 09:30
Bob Glover's book is excellent. I also like Bill Rodgers' "Complete Idiot's Guide to Jogging and Running" - a bit self-referential ("when I was training to be the best marathon runner in the world" pops up on almost every page), but good sound advice in easily manageable chunks.

The RW Complete Book of Women's Running is good except that Dagny Scott clearly has a subclinical eating disorder. Her idea of an indulgence is BLUEBERRIES!

If you're interested in sports nutrition too, I'd choose the books written by Anita Bean in preference to those by Liz Applegate.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.