Good morning from a very new beginner

8 messages
18/11/2008 at 01:44
Just found this site before turning in so I thought I'd say hello from Peterborough. I used to run by myself 4 or 5 years ago but gave it up after becoming bored by the same old routes I took at lunch-times. After taking up football 25 years after my last match I got bored training alone at lunch times so I took the plunge and went out with 3 runners at work last Thursday and managed 1 and a half miles before I developed stitch. I felt much more awake at work afterwards so I am aiming to go out again this Wednesday lunch-time.
18/11/2008 at 06:24

Morning Crun, welcome to the forum.  You'll find out we're a friendly lot, although many of us are raving mad...    Any questions you have, just ask - although you may find the answers in previous threads.

Well done on the 1.5 miles, a solution I use for stitch is:  don't eat immediately before you go running.  If you do get stitch, breathe in, through your mouth, slowly, then exhale, through your mouth again, quickly/suddenly if you know what I mean.  Also try running with your hands above your head for a minute or so.  Although you will look like a berk, and cars will honk at you as they pass, if it gets rid of the stitch, who cares lol?!

PSC    pirate
18/11/2008 at 06:32

mad! Yep!

Well done Crun and welcome to the forum!  Be prepared .... it's compulsive!

18/11/2008 at 08:15

Hello from Peterborough too

I started running early this year and I'm aiming to complete a 10K in 2009, celebrating my 50th birthday too.

Keep going.... I struggle sometimes, but there are also the good days too

18/11/2008 at 13:07
only been running for about 18 months myself crun,but have now completed 2 half marathons! the forum makes you feel 'part of something' and always motivates me when the going gets tough
18/11/2008 at 13:19

yip, welcome to the forum.

We were all beginners at one point, only thing is you're a beginner again.

but congrats on the distance, just keep it up

18/11/2008 at 14:33
Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.
19/11/2008 at 20:53
Thanks for the warm welcome. I managed 5.5 miles this lunch-time...a big surprise for me and my running mates from work!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.