Good Running Recipe Books

20 messages
01/09/2003 at 14:25
Hi.

Does anybody know of any good recipe books aimed at running fitness. I want to do a marathon but I'm worried that when I build up my mileage I will loose too much weight.

Thank you.

Effie
01/09/2003 at 14:47
Effie,
The Marathoin Chef by Michel Roux jnr is one of the best "Healthy" food books I know. I am a chef in the West End, and use some of the recipies in it for ideas at work. I also use some of them at home for myself. One piont I always make re. cookery books is to use the recipies as an idea only - a basis if you like, but don't be scared to change it to how you like something. The comments and attitude towards running and nutrition are supportive as well.

Any other chefs out there who fancy getting together and doing a "runners" recipie of the day?

Anyone out there who would like to see it?
02/09/2003 at 21:01
The idea of a runners cook book is a great idea. It could be sold in aid of a charity or something..
02/09/2003 at 21:44
Yeah good idea i,m not a bad cook but can only cook a few pasta recipies and they tend to get a bit repeatative.And i,m feed up with baked spuds and beans.Runners world should have a recipe page each month.
02/09/2003 at 22:31
Oh please no! RW tries to write about everything but running as it is! A couple of issues ago there were a few pages dedicated to large pictures of potatoes with fillings.

Articles on nutrition fine but not more space fillers.
02/09/2003 at 22:58
ohplease YES
i love food
come on you chefs
05/09/2003 at 07:22
I agree with the majority here. More food please. It's hard trying to find things to cook that I can feed to the wife and daughter as a normal evening meal but that's also good for me.

I like the idea of a runners cook book that could be sold for charity too.
05/09/2003 at 09:41
Thanks Robin for the reply. I shall be off out shopping this weekend for The Marathon Chef.

I also like the idea of a cook book being sold for charity. I do think they should have a site on here full of ideas for healthy eating aimed at runners. After all what you eat does effect your preformance and not everyone knows about nutrition.

I'm lucky we get our food straight off the farm and from our local field but I still struggle when it comes around to thinking of new original ideas aimed at running.
16/09/2003 at 16:44
boing. Any more chefs out there
17/09/2003 at 11:05
I'm no chef....but I do have an excellent book on sport recipies. It's called 'Food for Sport' by Judy Ridgeway and Jane Griffin.

It contains loads of handy tips on diets, carbo loading, protein consumption etc, etc. and LOADS of recipies for every meal of the day. They aren't Michelin starred and probably won't impress your friends at dinner parties but they make a decent change to banana sandwiches and there is a comprehensive breakdown of each meal in terms of carbs, protein, fat, calories etc.

I managed to get it some years ago when it was a freebee with some vitamins in Boots. But it has been updated since then and is still cheap. You can get it from Amazon if you like the sound of it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0330353780/qid=1063792235/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_0_2/202-3432340-9591838
17/09/2003 at 13:14
Cool. Thanks JC I'll also check this one out.
17/09/2003 at 13:58
I do a lot of cooking but most of my recipes are aimed at healthy eating and ultimately losing weight cos I'm a wobbly jelly.

however, off the top of my head, an option might be:

Pan fried salmon steak with sundried tomato and basil couscous?
17/09/2003 at 14:19
Puff - that sounds good!

Wanna swap that recipe for another salmon recipe??

How about...'lemon and sea salt baked salmon with spinach and not-too-creamy mashed potato'?

I also know a tasty, cheap, vegetarian meal using marrow to it's fullest! Any takers??
17/09/2003 at 16:18
Puff and JC, you guys are making me hungry. Can't you post your recipes...please!
17/09/2003 at 16:24
I'll try and remember my cook books tomorrow (or the day after depending on how busy i am at work)

Salmon with couscous very easy.I think it goes like this.

Soak sundried tomatoes in boiling water for half an hour.

Pan fry salmon in a little olive oil with some seasoning (personally I think lime and fresh corainder works very well, or use some ready made cajun spice. that tastes good too)

Whilst salmon is doing it's thing, drain tomatoes. reheat the toamto water to boiling and use to rehydrate couscous (in a large bowl with cling film on the top. Takes about 10 mins). Chop toms and fresh basil, stir into couscous. Plonk salmon on top. devour.

Or, for another carbo healthy option with fish make a fish stew. Firm white fish - coley, hake etc. (cod's endangered so I've banned that) chopped into 1 inch cubes, fry lightly, add can toms, water or stock, seasoning. Serve with crusty french bread or ciabatta.

i'll think of some more. What do you want?
17/09/2003 at 17:37
That sounds spot on! I'll give it a bash at the weekend and try it out on Mrs Cricket

Salmon recipe (for two):

Two salmon fillets
2 lemons
sea salt (rock or table will do at a pinch but use less)
black pepper
spinach
potatoes for mashing (king edwards or maris piper)

Place each Salmon fillet on a piece of tin foil large enough to completely cover fish (imagine wrapping a present). sprinkle on salt and black pepper to taste. Squeeze over lemon juice (1/2 the lemon for each fillet). Wrap salmon in foil, place on baking tray and bake in oven @ gas 6 for about 20mins.

Meanwhile, peel and chop pots and boil in lightly salted water. Wash spinach and remove any hefty stalks. Place in large pan with 1 tablespoon of water.

Remove fish from oven after 20mins open and place on serving plate. drizzle over juice from foil wrapping (add more lemon juice to taste or serve with 1/2 a lemon). Mash spuds with milk and butter (or leave as boiled pots if dieting!). Wilt spinach in pan (only takes about 1min - shake occasionally to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.

EAT. The mash absorbs any extra juices a real treat.

Marrow meal to follow tomorrow!

Flipper    pirate
17/09/2003 at 18:10
This is brill! keep the recipes coming all you fantastic cooks/chefs!
18/09/2003 at 14:49
As promised, here is that marrow meal. It is one of my favourite meals and is an Autumnal must in our. Roast chestnuts and a cuppa at tea time, this and a pint of beer for dinner. Can't beat it.

For 2 people:

1 large or 2 small marrows
olive oil
Tin of chopped toms
mushrooms - chopped
onion
garlic
Worcester sauce
2 slices of bread - as breadcrumbs
generous amount of cheese

Chop top and bottom off marrows. Trim the marrow until it stands up nicely. Scoop the seeds out of the marrow and discard. Scoop out the marrow flesh - try to keep the marrow skins intact. You should now be left with 2 hollow tubes and the marrow flesh. Chop the flesh. Chop onion and garlic and fry in olive oil until soft (but not browned). Add marrow flesh and fry for 5mins until flesh is soft and reduced down a little. Add copped toms, chopped mushrooms and a dash of Worcester sauce. Leve to simmer for 10mins.

Meanwhile grate the cheese and add to breadcrumbs - should be about a 3:1 ration bread to cheese. Keep some cheese back for topping.

Wrap the bottoms of the marrow tubes in tin foil such that they are sitting in a tight foil 'cup'. Place marrow skins with foil cups on baking tray - foil cup at the bottom. Now fill marrow skins with cooked flesh, toms, mush etc. Add cheese/breadcrumb mix to form a top to the marrow tubes - it can be packed in quite tightly. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and place in oven gas mark 6 for about 30mins or until cheese is golden.

Serve by placing marrow tubes, complete with foil cups on a plate. You will need a spoon as they are quite juicy and can be messy!

That all makes it sound far harder than it really is. I am, as you tell, a bucket-load cook and rarely measure things properly. This recipe is pretty open to varying amounts.
18/09/2003 at 15:01
Fabo. I'm going to cook like mad this weekend. What else would I like? Well I'm pasta mad, so any toppings / sauces would be cool - especially if they involve adding a dash of red wine.
Oh and anything that involves spuds (my fav.)
...And any low fat desserts / treats would be ace.
Oh, and if you've got a recipy for home-made energy bars...mmm...flap-jack (sorry just having a moment) that would be ace.
I love fresh home-made stuff you can't beat it.
I am getting seriously hungry now.
Flipper    pirate
18/09/2003 at 18:27
that marrow meal sounds brill - when it gets a bit colder i'm going to try that one!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.