Great North Run half marathon in 47 days time.....am I being realistic?

3 messages
31/07/2012 at 15:25

Hi

Due to circumstances beyond my control (it sounds like an excuse but it's genuine) I haven't been doing the proper training required for the Great North Run but now the panic is setting in I am totally committed.

I can just about run 5 miles without wanting to collapse and die.

Do you think that it is still possible for me to get from being able to do a 5 to 13 mile run within 6 weeks?

I really want to be able to do this. Two of my friends who were doing it with me can't do it because of injury and but I don't want to waste this opportunity.

Many thanks

Gary

31/07/2012 at 15:58

I would say YES...you can do it!!

Loads on hear no more than me regarding running/training etc bu toff the top of my head i would say to you..

(BASED ON RUNNING 3 TIMES PER WEEK)

If 5 mile does you in now, do 2 x 3-4 mile runs in the week and a 6 mile run/walk a bit run on the weekend .... Build it up 1 mile per week so in about a month you will be on a weekend 8mile run and 2 x 4-5 miles in the week.

If you can do this after a month.....either stay as you are miles per week wise if your struggling or increase your week end run by 1 mile per week.

By the time GNR comes round your be 'OK' and will enjoy it because the 'EVENT' its selve will give you a extra push on the day.

All my opinion wich means bugger all!!!!!!!!

31/07/2012 at 16:03

Barney

Thanks very much for the encouraging reply

That looks like a good plan that would work for me.

I am sure that on the day, the crowds will be a huge inspiration...plus I don't want to be crying and crawling the last part of the race in front of thousands of people!!

Thanks again. It's good to know that I am not wasting my time.

Gary

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.