Great North Run

41 to 53 of 53 messages
26/09/2002 at 13:53
Hi Trying to Run

Glad you are going to manage to do the run. Hope injury stays away. Have decided to let the other half drive me down on the day. He can then take my bag and spend the next 2.1/2 to 3 hrs making his way to the finish. Will decide for definate after this weekends run.
26/09/2002 at 15:36
Hi Tryer, Trying to Run & others,
I'm SO glad that i stumbled upon this thread b4 The Run. I'm a beginner who's running for charity (which is the only reason i haven't quit) and the fear is starting to build BIG time! I've been training on my own and have also had a bad few weeks with injuries/flu. Aargh! Now i've hurt my knee so i've been swimming instead. It's looking like a "Great North Walk" at the mo. Feel much better after reading your comments tho, thanks :o)
26/09/2002 at 16:38
Hi Flora and Tryer

Like you I am continuing as I am running for charity. But all else aside just go out and enjoy the day. I know I will be walking a bit especially the hills. As long as I get round and am not out there over 3hrs I will be happy. You never know, might even bump into you on the way.

Tryer how far are you going to run this weekend. I am going to try 8 miles. That will be the longest run I will have done.

26/09/2002 at 16:46
Hi Flora

Glad to hear you are running. It might be the "Great North Run/Walk" for me but like trying to run as long as I'm not over 3 hrs. Keep up the good work.
26/09/2002 at 16:50
Hi Trying to Run

I hope to do 10m on Sunday. The same 10 I did back in August and if I can complete it then I will manage the 13.1. I am going to do it as a run/walk as the article I read says try 9 min run (plod) and 1 min walk. At the moment that seems to work ok. So on the day I will either do that or run (plod) to 1 mile then walk a mile and so on. Either way i'll still be out there a long time.
26/09/2002 at 18:47

AMG.

Not sure about the age limit but I think the distance is 5K

Cheers,

MikeB
26/09/2002 at 21:06
Hi Tryer

I also read an article about run/walk. This one said run 1m walk for 1 min. I think that's what I am going to do. You never know we might end up next to one another. Even though I'm not really ready, I looking foward to it.

See you there.
26/09/2002 at 22:42
This is quite do-able, and I think faster tha 17 minute miles!!
AMG
27/09/2002 at 09:41
I read the run/walk article, very interesting. I've done that after recovering from a stomach bug and found it very good to get back into it again. Think I might try that too.
27/09/2002 at 09:47
Oops just re-read my last note I meant run 1 mile and walk 1 min not 1 mile as I typed but I think I will opt for the run 9 min and walk 1 min
27/09/2002 at 10:40
Re the Junior Great North, I think it's under 17's, the distance is 4 K not 5.
It may be just too late now Vrap, I entered them on-line on Wed after being told 5 pm was the deadline but maybe if you gave them a ring they'd take more entries if they're not oversubscribed.

Good luck all.
01/10/2002 at 13:52
Hi Trying to Run, How did the weekend run go? Did you manage 8miles? I only managed 7 as the ham string was a bit sore and I didn't want to make it worse before Sunday but felt good otherwise and raring to go. I accept i'll be a slow joe but its taking part that counts and as long as the sweep up bus doesn't catch me i'll be fine.
01/10/2002 at 21:17
Hi Tryer

I also only did 7 miles, I felt I could have done another mile but decided not to. I felt quite good and recovered quickly but have had sore calfs for two days. Was going to go for a short run tonight but decided against it, its not going to make much difference now. Like you as long as the sweep bus does not catch me I'll get there. Good luck on Sunday.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 53 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.