GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,461 to 13,480 of 15,165 messages
25/11/2012 at 00:36
Dee - glad the wedding went well. Amazing that you ran for an hour beforehand - but knowing what weddings can be like bet it was a great de-stressed!

Toby - best of luck to you (and Mrs Toby?) in your 10k

No racing for me - feeling too poorly
25/11/2012 at 10:20
B & T - I did the hour run the morning after the wedding, didn't get time for the run I should of done on the day. The bride and groom had a fantastic day. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

Another Hill - 16th December is the same date as my 10k but in a totally different part of the country I'm on the south coast, doing a Santa run. They give you a Santa suit to run in, it's huge!!!!! I can fit in one leg of the trousers and the jacket wraps round me twice! So I've got a cheap Xmas onesie (good old primark) and going to cut the feet out and run in that instead.

Rest day for me - another overload week of training with a speed endurance session chucked in then its the tapper off weeks.

Happy running all
25/11/2012 at 19:00

Hi everyone - sorry for being a bad forumite lately - too bloomin busy at work and always seem to have other things to keep me busy in the evenings. This is a flying visit - am busy cooking sunday roast at the moment - have a short window of opportunity while I wait for the veg.

No much running from me lately - was on earlies last week and only managed to get out once. But I did manage to nab two gore-rillas while I was out and about (B&T can explain!). No run this weekend either - was on call yesterday then had to go over and see my son. Been out today to see my grand-daughter (4th birthday during the week).

Am on 'normal' 9-5 this coming week but going to see if I can persuade myself to get up at 6am and do some early-morning runs. Will let you know how I get on (hopefully before next Sunday!)

25/11/2012 at 22:06

off to W/W tomorrow not shore about the weight loss this week as we’ve been away for the weekend and tracking the points was easy so will have to see Boscombe went ok and although it rained all of Saturday Sunday started dry and for a moment thought we were going to keep dry not to be got to the last mile and a half and empted down we were last to finish by a long way and according to my Garmin we took 1:24:36 but the run felt faster than that so will wait for the official time to be posted

26/11/2012 at 13:07

Me again! Feeling guilty re last week so paying a cheeky 5 min visit during my lunch break!

I did get up at 6am this morning and polished off a quick 3.25ml run around town before breakfast (surprised myself!). Interestingly, although I was only 30mins earlier than usual there were hardly any dog-walkers out and about today. Will try and do the same later in the week but am keen to do an evening run if there are any gore-rillas to be nabbed (trying to get my 5th and final one).

BTW - this morning's run took me to 429mls for the year - am creeping ever closer to last year's total mileage of 436mls and am now thinking I ought to be able to reach 500mls by the end of December.

26/11/2012 at 13:30

Hi All,

Gutted for you B&T - I know you had trained well for this.  Hope you are feeling well soon.

Mel - well done on the earlies and good target to reach 500 miles.  Gore-rillas no idea?

Club run tonight.

27/11/2012 at 09:37

Morning all! Feeling a bit better now, but been so mad busy work-wise I've just not stopped all weekend. This has meant I've not had time to brood on my lack of racing on Sunday. But thanks AH, I know when I do get a minute to think about it I'm going to feel really miffed. I *couldn't* have raced though - was a struggle to get up at all! - so at least I know it wasn't just me wimping out. sigh. Ah well - that's the way it goes!

I had a look on the Clubhouse website Yvonne mentioned a while back to see if there were any more 10k races locally before the New year - I did find one, nice and flat, not too far away, but its next Sunday when I've already signed up for a 'Santa dash' for the local hospice, so can't drop out of that.

Still feeling very snotty today (and its just started pouring down) so I'll miss another days running and pop out for a little plodette tomorro and see how I feel.

Dee - sorry, misunderstood about the running / wedding. I *did* think it was going some to run on the morning!! Glad it was a great day Laughing at the HUGE Santa costume, but then thought that we don't get ours until the morning of the race so I've NO idea how it will fit! I presume I just wear my usual running gear underneath to prevent any rubbing & chaffing?? Actually, thinking about it, part of out route is along the canal - wonder how full it is after all the flooding??!!!! GULP!

AH - Gore-illas - part of the 'Fetchpoint' game over on Fetch running. You can collect  coins, squash bugs, move markers etc when you upload your Garmin data. The best bit is you can collect 'Gore-illa' markers - collect 5 in a month and you're entered into a draw to win £100 of Gore running stuff (isn't that what you won??) I've already got my 5 for the month, and obviously Mel's on his way too

Mel - glad to see you popping in when you can. Well done for 6am runs Watch out for the floods in the dark!

Toby - well done to you & Mrs T for battling on through the rain on Sunday. have you got the official time yet? Faster or not, LOTS of hardcore points to you both for running in that rain

Waving  'hello' to everyone else - hope every one's safe & dry and not flooded

27/11/2012 at 12:26

Afternoon all

Must get a run in this week some time as training for Brighton starts very soon

B&T no the times not up yet so still waiting to see good luck with the Santa dash me and the family are all doing the Santa's on the run again on Sunday even got my son doing it this year the suites they gave us were all one size and were all on the large sizes which was good as i just wore it over my normal running gear it was so much fun seeing 400 Santa's all doing a warm up and then running around the docks you should have seen some of the bemused looks form passersby it was so funny to see their faces

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 12:29
28/11/2012 at 03:48

Morning all

Have decided to start my Brighton training a little early so am going to repeat the week 1 training schedule for a couple of week not going to stick to it religiously but need to build the mileage up a bit before the training plan starts in earnest

So did 5 miles yesterday should do 6 today but as i did 6 Sunday may just do the other 5 miles so i can have a rest day Thursday before the 10 on Friday

28/11/2012 at 13:36

Another cheeky lunchtime visit!

Sorry to confuse people with references to Gore-rillas - thanks to B&T for explaining what I was wittering on about. Speaking of which, yesterday I saw there was a gore-rilla on a nearby road. So this morning's early run morped into yesterday evening's after-work run. I nabbed the gore-rilla so now have my five and am in the draw for the running gear

28/11/2012 at 23:27
Evening all! Still sniffing here so still no running. Must get out tomorrow to see how it goes, otherwise Sunday's Santa run (with big hill) is going to be a bit of a shock!

Toby - I MUST sort my training plan out!!!
29/11/2012 at 04:44

morning all just 5 for me yesterday shall have a rest day today then attempt 10 on Friday boy that sounds a long way

29/11/2012 at 07:54
Had a brilliant speed endurance session yesterday, felt like I used to before the I had the injury, legs ache abit this morning .

B&T I'm trying to avoid everyone at work with coughs and colds ( not an easy task as I work in a super hospital) had to miss out on the last 10k I planned as I managed to tear my calf 3 weeks before hand, so really want to do this one.

Not flooded here, but there are areas close to us that have had some roads flooded. We live at the top of a big hill so it would have to be "ark" type flooding to effect us.

Got a short 30 min run tomorrow then an hour on Saturday to try and fit in amongst working and cooking nibbles for the grandsons birthday

Have a good one all
29/11/2012 at 23:31
Good running all! Even I made it out for a run today- very frosty, but beautiful. Even (most) of the mud had frozen over. Just a gentle 3 miler, but noticed HR was higher than usual, so obviously I'm still fighting off the snotty dregs of this cold.

Dee very sensible taking precautions. If I'd thought on I would have worn a face mask as soon as my son started sniffing and needing cuddles!
30/11/2012 at 04:26

B&T well done on the run i must try and get out there today

30/11/2012 at 08:21

Thanks Toby - should push myself out the door again today but its looking even colder today. Keep telling myself that means it will be even more beautiful but its not working.... Love that your whole family is doing the Santa run - hope it goes well for everyone!

Mr B&T is going off on Sunday to ride in a Sportive (a cycling version of our running races - no, I'd not heard of them before!) on the Isle of Wight, so the children are on photography duty (could be interesting)

Anyone recommend a good marathon training plan? This years was fine, but I'm worried it might be jinxed!

30/11/2012 at 17:22

Hi All,

Thanks for the explanation about gore-rillas, I'm not on fetch.  Good luck with the draw though guys,  I won Ashmei kit similiar to gore.

Toby - Good idea to get a good base to start mara training from.

Dee - Well done on the speedwork, were you super speedy before injury. 

B&T - Glad your feeling better.  MP plans plenty of them about from the more is less theory to the high mileage low intensity theory - have you any thoughts about what brings on your shin splints - increase in mileage? to much pace? a bit of both? too many hills? not warming up? any cutback weeks? if you can spot something then you can build your plan around that to prevent injuries.  Don't forget these plans are just general and not specific.

Meself - Only training three times a week at the moment but all  good quality so three runs this week have been 5 miles of intervals, 5 miles tempo @ short tempo pace & 8 hilly miles done at 10K pace plus 60 secs, so a bit like the furman (first) plan with no x - training though.

take care all & have a great weekend

30/11/2012 at 20:08
AH - used to run for southern England as a teenager. The last race for life (5k) I did before the twilight one I did this year was 5 years ago, got round in 20 minutes. But really I'm better over shorter distances, so basically I call anything over a couple of miles a long run. But I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to run further than I have done b4 it's getting addictive

B&T - I've not heard of that either, would of thought I should of done seems as though I live across the water from the IOW

Didn't get to do my short run today, got up abit late and had to get to work. Still long run tomorrow morning, will go for outside but if its too icy it'll be on the tready, but will up the pace abit
01/12/2012 at 15:14

Hi all,

Busy here,phewLove Christmas but glad just once per yearTrying to stay away from cold/flu bugs which is doing the rounds here

B+T,I've been looking at following the VLM training plan but really think they are all very similar.Looking forward to starting training proper as my faster running has def made a difference.Have a 5hr target,hope not too optimistic as that would be 29 mins off marathon pbMight have to revise target once I get doing some 13+ runs but 11.27 m/m is about the pace for 5hrs.Yesterday I ran 5 miles and found it hard to stay at 11m/m,kept going too fast so bodes fairly well at the moment.

AH,hope the packing is going well.You asked about which parkrun I do.I do the Abingdon one but has been flooded for last couple of weeks.Is that anywhere near where you're moving to?They were looking at an alternative course but thats probably flooded too

Dee,wow 20 mins for 5k is super fastLots of flooding here..

Have a good weekend all

01/12/2012 at 17:03
Thanks Susie - most if the course was either flat or downhill so helped loads, do have to say I was totally cream crackered at the end. Being the competitive person I am there was a woman in front if me that I chased, she still got in about a minute quicker! I think it was a fluke or maybe not measured correctly as I've never got near that time before or after
13,461 to 13,480 of 15,165 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.