GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,481 to 13,500 of 15,263 messages
02/12/2012 at 11:10

morning all

well the 10 miler never happened combination of hard week at work (4 x 12 hour shifts) and daughter being down for the weekend and it being the first time I've seen her since September and wanting to spend some time with her

the whole family's off in a minute for the Santa's on the run fun run it's only a 1.5 miles but a lot of fun as I've said before

02/12/2012 at 20:05
Dee - super speedy!

AH - good idea finding a plan that fits around the shin splints. Will have a think about when they come on. Glad you're fitting some running in - can't imagine how busy you are at the moment.

Susie - I followed the VLM plan from the magazine (well for a few weeks anyway!) seemed pretty good.

Toby - hope your Santa Run went well, and that you had a good weekend with your family.

Waving hello to everyone else!
02/12/2012 at 20:22
Was hoping to upload a picture, but can't from my iPod - pah! Anyway, my Santa Dash went well today. Over 100 of us, very cold at the start, but I got very hot quite quickly in my attractive Santa suit! Slowly down the hill (as all in single file) then realy beautiful route along the canal towpath, then back up a ridiculously steep hill (I walked!) had to retie the enormous trousers twice, and my shoelaces once.

It was a great morning, beautiful frosty but sunny day, lots of friendly people. Will post a pic from the PC tomorrow
02/12/2012 at 21:48

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/502743/gallery/santa.jpeg?width=350

03/12/2012 at 03:26

B &T the Santa on the run went OK lots of fun had by all there were about 600 Santa's all in all even think my son enjoyed it though he'd never  admit it and you look very fetching in your Santa suite

03/12/2012 at 13:59

Afternoon All,

Susie - Not to far from Abingdon but Oxford parkrun will be closer, will probably have a go Feb/March time.

Dee - What a honour to represent an area.  I'm quite the opposite (not so good at short distances) my best racing distance would be half marathon last 16 months though have concentrated on marathon distance and got my time down, so the coming year is going to be about 5 & 10K's.

Well done on the Santa runs Toby + Family  and B&T.

B&T - Good luck with the Marathon Plan.

Sat - Was intending to do  Intervals 8 * 600m at 10K pace minus 40 secs, never quite got to the pace required but close.  Sunday packed a bit more and tonight will be a tempo hilly run.

Take care all

03/12/2012 at 19:14
B&T very fetching, my suit is miles bigger on my than yours is

AH it was a long time ago now, now in my 40's but we had great fun as teenagers

Toby glad the run went well

Had a good training session today all be it on the tready did 40 minutes and upped the pace every 10 minutes didn't find it too bad till the last 4 minutes then had to dig in. But I've now learnt I can run faster for longer than I thought
03/12/2012 at 21:40
Dee - could have fitted 2 of me in the trousers, and had the jacket wrapped very tightly!

Very stiff legs after the hill yesterday, and had sore shins yesterday evening, so reckon its hills that set it off, especially going downhill (makes sense when I think about it) so I'll rule out hill training for the marathon (hooray!) Had a lovely run this morning, really loosened everything out. Nice and flat, and shins felt fine
05/12/2012 at 14:32

afternoon all

well 5 miles for me to day cold but sunny with a bit of a head wind heading out Brighton training starts in earnest next week so really must get out for some thing longer than a 6 mile run this week just to make shore i can still do it

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/535370/gallery/family_of_santas_1.jpg?width=350

family of Santa's

05/12/2012 at 14:41

Excellent photo of the Toby Family - one for the Christmas cards this year!

My legs were KILLING me after Sunday's dash - haven't run any proper hills for ages. Staggered out on Monday for a 4.5M recovery run, then a 3M tempo run this morning becuase it was a lot colder than Ithought it was and I was Freezing!

06/12/2012 at 07:27
Nice family of santas

B&T - was very icy here so didn't get the pleasure of running outside, but must run outside this Saturday.

Did a speed endurance session of 2 minute hard running with 2 minutes recovery run (on the tready), did note that my recovery pace was the same pace that 10 weeks ago was the pace I was struggling to run for 30 minutes at. Even got a kiss on the cheek from a friend/coach that has been helping with my fitness/cross training ! Take it he was pleased then lol
06/12/2012 at 12:57

Dee Meaeing  well done to you it is a nice feeling when you know your improving and even more so when someone else  it a acknowledge it

06/12/2012 at 13:29

Hi everyone,

I see it's a week since I managed to get on here  Just been reading back and good to see lots of training has been going on and some santa runs have been done (great pics btw).

I got out last Thu evening for a 4ml run. I wasn't able to run at the weekend - was busy on Sat morning with chores then we went to Bristol in the afternoon and saw the WNO's performance of 'La Boheme' at the Hippodrome on Saturday eve. Sunday was out as well - travelling back from Bristol then straight round to the neighbours for pre-xmas nibbles and drinks with other neighbours which went on longer than planned.

On the plus side I have been out for two pre-breakfast runs this week (go me!). It's a short 3.25ml route around town which I treat as a tempo run. Tue was a bit rubbish (33:50) but today's was better (33:04). The weekend is looking a bit busy .. we have the grand-children coming to visit on Sat and are off to my cousin's on Sun (pre xmas family get-together). However I have a cunning plan! Mrs Wm is out at the theatre tomorrow and will be back late. I will be having a ready meal so am planning to go out for a longer (5-6ml) run straight after work and will eat a bit later than usual.   

07/12/2012 at 16:40

Well finally got out for that 10 mile run i been saying i must do no idea of the time as the Battery in my Garmin went flat just after i started i knew it was low as it had flashed up a warning when i turned it on but was hoping it would last

Doesn’t really matter as i had already decided to keep the pace slow any way and this paid off as i didn’t really struggle too much which was a surprise after yesterdays run well Brighton training kicks off officially next week so the runs will be getting longer

09/12/2012 at 17:19

Hi All,

Seems a tad quiet on her at the moment. 

Must admit I'm glad I haven't sighned up for a spring marathon.

The kids had a  day at the new School on Friday and had a really nice day meet some new friends, which was a great relief to my OH and I.  I went to my new head office then meet the team that I will be in charge off, everything went well.  We popped into house and we are very pleased with what the decorators have done, they should be finished just before Xmas so all on target.  Oh and had lunch at Burford garden center (Do you know it Susie)

Running wise haven't done much but been doing my 3 quality days going intervals, short tempo & long tempo,  have got a 10K on Sunday so hoping the weather will be O.K this week, I hear we may be in for a cold spell though.

Take care all

09/12/2012 at 18:06

Hi all,

Busy here but did my last race of the year this amreally was going for a pb but didnt make it by 10secsso 1:02:15 but nearly 4 mins quicker than the same race last year so def have made some progress during 2012.Today eveything going fine until the 4th mile as course took us around a very exposed airfield.Last section for almost a mile was straight into the wind,the wind sock was horizontal so hard work so pretty pleased with time considering 4th mile was 10.47 m/mthe other miles ranged from 9.40 to 9.58

Good thing is my slower runs are feeling really good so have targeted a 5 hr VLMTraining to start after New Year

AH,I know Burford Garden centre really well.I have a friend who lives in Gloucester so we meet up there as its about halfway.Burford and surrounding area is lovely and more hilly than nearer Oxford.Are you goung to be living nr Burford?

Hope everyone well.Yes a bit quiet here but everyone so busy.I love Christmas but its so hectic.The children are busy making their Christmas hats at the moment as have to wear a hat they've made  for Christmas lunch at school

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 18:09
09/12/2012 at 23:52

Evening all! Mad busy here, but have been getting out running when I can. Well done on nearly getting a new PB Susie - and great to have taken 4 mins off last year's time!

AH - glad plans all seem to be going well - may they continue to go smoothly! Best of luck with the 10K next weekend.

Mel -  Sounds like you're having a very busy and sociable time!

Dee - great to be getting better, and to have it acknowledged!

Toby - well done on the 10 miles. Annoying when your garmin gives up mid run. Training starting for Brighton - eekk!

I've sat down tonight and looked up a plan for Brighton. Found a Hal Higdon one, 18 weeks which seems like a good idea - 2 weeks longer than this year's plan, so a slower buildup will hopefully mean less likelihood of getting injured this time! Trouble is, having worked out the dates, like Toby I see it starts tomorrow - EEKKKK! I might jump into week 2 actually, so that I have a week in hand if we go away at Easter next year.

Sounds like a good plan (I think!)

10/12/2012 at 12:30
Seems everyone is having great runs at the moment

AH & Susie - I grew up in Abingdon, burford is such a pretty place along with my all time favourite bourton on the water.

Did my last road run on Saturday before my first ever 10k this Sunday. Ran a route with a few hills in it, one was a steady incline over about a mile, next was a steeper one over about 1/2 mile and the last was very steep but only about 300 metres long. Managed to do just over 4 miles in 40 minutes, pleased with that and feel ready for Sunday, so hopefully it won't be too windy on Sunday as its on the seafront.

Sounds like a good plan to me B&T.

Managed to get all the Xmas shopping finished this weekend, including food shopping, going for the lazy option of slow roast beef (cooked in the slow cooker overnight) for Xmas dinner - keeping it easy so I can have a relaxing day, as I only have Xmas day and Boxing Day off work this year
10/12/2012 at 16:49

Afternoon all

well it was my first official training run for Brighton today my week 1 should have been 5 Tuesday 6 Wednesday 5 Thursday and 10 on Sunday but will do what i have done for the last couple of years and swap the days so the runs are done Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday with the two longest runs done on a Monday and Friday (MWLR done on a Monday and the LSR done on a Friday) were possible

so today was 6 miles for me which took just over an hour and looking back is about the same as last year at this point so looking good for those 29 seconds

10/12/2012 at 21:23

Hi All,

Dee & Susie - A couple of miles from Burford going towards chipping norton,  Wychwood is the kids primary School and Burford secondry.

B&T - So which Hal plan are you doing - I quite like his plans.

Toby - A good start towards Brighton.

13,481 to 13,500 of 15,263 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.