GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,561 to 13,580 of 15,337 messages
07/01/2013 at 11:30

Lisa 123 welcome to the thread

07/01/2013 at 22:30
Trying to have a quick catch up!

Samantha - the trick with all these sports drinks / gels is that they all taste different, and more importantly affect your digestion differently *queasy face* You have to try them when out running and just see which suits you best. I can't stomach any of the Lucozade products for instance, but friend the more natural the better. I cash second Mel's recommendation of Cliffe's Shot Bloks - you can buy them by the single tube on eBay if you want to try them out.

Dee - so sorry to hear of your team mate. Well done on your weight though, and on your HM entry!

Seal - 300 core exercises?! =-O I've been trying to do my abs DVD a couple of times as week and find that hard enough. I do feel my running felt easier when I was doing them regularly so must keep them up.

Mel - hope running club went okay tonight and they were a bit friendlier this time.

Toby - some great running from you going on. Wish I could be as running as regularly as you!

Yvonne-we got a Nexus 7 for Christmas. Very simile to the Kindle Fire, and yes, very addictive!

Lisa - welcome! Sounds like you'be made great progress with your running - best of luck at Brighton in Feb - let us know how you're getting on.

Finally made it out for a run today - got fed up waiting for this headache to go away. Took the kids on their bikes as outriders Really must get my training back on track!!!

Hope everyone else is good and back in the swing of things again after Christmas and the New Year.
08/01/2013 at 05:02

morning all

well got out and did 8 miles yesterday took me 1:17:28 so again pleased with that as i wasn't feeling one hundred % having said that not feeling a lot better to day so my just do a couple of recovery runs on the treadmill and then see how i feel Friday before attempting the 20

08/01/2013 at 13:39
Had my first ever experience with a running club last night..........and loved it such a friendlly group all abilities as placed in different abilitiy groups great coaches who do not bully but gently encourage which was fab!!
it was training on a track speed sessions a bit of a shock at first but that just shows how wrong I have been getting the speed training side of things
Out for a short walk run session with my neighbour later ( meant to be a rest day) she is returning from having a baby.
Temp run Tom prow afternoon when kiddies at grandmas lol
08/01/2013 at 21:02
Evening all and welcome Lisa You sound speedy
Glad you got out B&T, we do a fair bit of running with kids on bikes
Glad you enjoyed running club Samantha, mines really friendly tho I rarely get to go now
Core exercises done last night and 3.6m run tonight which felt much more comfortable. May even try and do 4 on thurs;-)
Off for a bath now

08/01/2013 at 21:23

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Sam as mentioned on other thread - glad you enjoyed your club run and no doubt you will make huge improvements. 

Toby you do a fair amount of mileage is this all for Brighton Marathon or do you have other races lined up as well? 

Speediersal well done on getting out there. I have found that strengthening my core has really helped with my running. Oh and I am not that speedy

Pilates class last night completed and a 5 mile run followed by pilates again this evening all done. Am either going to attend a club night tomorrow and do a speed interval session (am not a member am till trying to decide whether its right for me), or I will do a short easy run of about 3 miles - decisions decisions.

Happy running all.

08/01/2013 at 22:48
Evening all! On the Nexus again Did my 5 miles this morning, felt hard but good when it was over! No outriders today - very peaceful!
09/01/2013 at 06:24

Morning all

well did a gentle run 5 mile run walk on the treadmill yesterday as th dreaded lurgy doesn’t seem to be abating must admit i did drag the treadmill into the living room from the garage so i was nice and warm will do the same today with the 4

Lisa at the moment the focus is on Brighton but we have incorporated a couple of races into the training as both me and my O/H are running Brighton this year we have the Longleat 10k on the 3rd of February and instated of running bath on the 3rd of March we’ve chosen to do the Llanelli H/m instead

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 06:25
09/01/2013 at 18:35

My trainers have arrived!!! They have been tried on and walked around in...but why do new trainers feel so alien after the comfort of your old ones??....I must admit ive still got all 4 pairs of my old running trainers as i convince myself they may come in handy for a dog walk in the summer or a visit to the gym in my garage..or a little go on the cross trainer...Plus each pair has got me through my runs which to me are special

Tomorrow i have promised myself i will go out for a little run in them...i know i should of really gone out tonight but ive had to wait in for my shopping

09/01/2013 at 21:23

ouch ouch that foam rollering sure does make one squeal .... but felt good after ...for those that have one how often do you put yourself through the pain? I will try and do 15 mins each evening until it loosens things up my I.t bands were very hurty

09/01/2013 at 23:20
Yvonne I've never managed more than about 5 minutes with the foam roller as it makes my wrists hurt supporting my body maybe I'm doing it wrong..... Oh and whoop we hoop to the new shoes. I think I have 2 'old' pairs at the moment for just swearing out & about, but can't wears them out as quickly as I do running!

3 miles for me this morning, so after 3 runs in 3 days I'm looking forward to my rest day tomorrow supposed to be a blushing smiley but can't see how to do them on the tablet!:-!
Edited: 09/01/2013 at 23:21
10/01/2013 at 05:21

morning all

well only managed 45 minutes on the treadmill yesterday rest day today and then will have to see how i feel Friday before i deiced what to do about the 20 could always do the 13 this week and the 20 next i surpose

Yvonne glad the trainers arrived hope you get them broken in quickly

B & T must admit i to am looking forward to my rest day today

10/01/2013 at 10:49

Glad its not just me, Toby! Wait & see how you feel tomorrow before deciding about your 20 - if you're still not 100% it could just be too much for your body and set you off with another lurgy (yuck!)

Contemplating 10 miles tomorrow to do the run I missed last week. Looks like its going to be a cold one - but I have my lovely new running jacket bought for me for Christmas by the long suffering Mr B&T. Only worn it once to try it out, then it was too mild to wear it!

10/01/2013 at 13:37

Random thought of the day

i have to say i am glad i discovered the delights that are running tights i used to go out in a thick-is pair of jogging bottoms which was alright until it rain then they got very heavy but running tights keep your legs so nice and warm and do seem to be remarkable water proof considering how thin they are they’ve been a revelation

my collation has gone from 1 lonely pair with a yellow stripes on them to 2 pairs with yellow stripes and 2 with blue stripes to now i had a yellow jacket but no blue and O/H always seem to be able to colure coordinate herself if she was wearing her red pair she wore her red jacket if she wore her yellow pair she wore her yellow jacket

So being the sad person i am i dropped a load of hints before Christmas that i needed a Blue running jacket to go with my blue pairs well i say dropped it was more like beat her over the head with a bit of 4 by 2 bit of wood kind of hinting which paid off as she must have got fed up with me going on about it and bought me a lovely blue jacket

10/01/2013 at 21:47
Evening

Cold here but dragged myself out for an "easy"4 miles then walked to get kids from cubs and scouts and properly cold now.
We need pictures Toby
Missed core session last night but wil do again tomorrow
Working the weekend but hoping to fit in a cheeky run Sat am as long as the threatened snow hasn't arrived!
17.16jan
11/01/2013 at 13:27

Afternoon all

have deiced to rest to day and do the run tomorrow the fact i only just got up has also played part in that decision as it would take me 3 hrs + to complete the run feeling fit and and well so probably more like 4 today and so by the time i got out the  door and got back it would be to late as we have to go out tonight

11/01/2013 at 15:12

Hi everyone,

I see its a week since I last posted - been busy with work again

Trying to catch up ..

Toby - training going well I see - well done. I have 'Ron Hill' tracksters I wear this time of year. They are very snug and probably similar to the running tights but have handy zip-up pockets. Glad your subtle (and not so subtle) hints worked and you got your new kit.

Sal - I'm sure parkrun times will improve as you get back into things. Well done re core training too. I see you want photos of men in tights. Okay - but do we get photos of ladies in stockings in return?

Yvonne - happy nooo Kindle Fire (Mrs Wm treated herself to an ipad so I borrow that). My work laptop has wifi .. I have been known to do my early (6am) checks from the comfort of my bed! I have a collection of old trainers used for gardening/decorating. I use my foam roller as and when I need to.

Dee  - well done re treadie run and glad hamstring was ok and nooo trainers didn't cause problems.

B&T - sorry to hear planned 10ml LSR didn't happen but pleased to see you managed shorter run (with outriders) .. and quieter run more recently. I didn't make it to the running club (see below). Happy nooo Nexus I see. Ummm .. old trainers used for swearing out and about? Do you stand on pavements then shouting at passers-by?

Lisa - welcome to the thread  *waves* Can only dream of running the sorts of times you mention for 5k/10k - SpeedierSal used to be SlowSal - maybe you'll have to change to SpeedyLisa

Samantha - glad to hear you enjoyed new running club.

Last Sunday's session with my friend CT to help her with Garmin was time well spent. It took a few hours but she's now able to set up workouts/courses and hadn't realised how much it does. We spent so long on the Garmin the sauna had to be cancelled - now there's dedication for you!

I missed the running club on Mon/Wed this week thanks to traffic problems around Bristol. But I have been getting out regularly on my own (distances between 3-7mls) and planning to go out tomorrow for another 7ml run.

BTW - am still waiting for my 'Gore' goodies from Fetch due to xmas/new year hols. Only just been asked (and told them) what type of shorts i wanted.

11/01/2013 at 19:44

Evening all,

Yvonne new trainers, I love new trainers, type and style info please and how was your first run in them .  Oh and I agree about foam rolling. I too make lots of noises enough to embarrass my kids!!

Black and Tabby how did your 10miler go, did you manage to brave the weather? Its getting mighty cold out there, personally I just wish Spring would now hurry up can't be doing with snow and cold spells.

Toby good luck on your very LSR run tomorrow, 20 miles seems an awfully long way, especially as I currently only run about 10-12 miles for my LSR.

Speediersal well done on getting out there and clocking up your mileage.

WtnMel, its awful when work gets in the way. If you are anything like me I become very moody if I cant get out and run.

Hope I haven't missed anyone.

Me, well I opted for an easy 3 miler rather then speed session as was feeling very tired after a long day at work. I had an enforced rest day yesterday as still feeling exhausted - am trying to listen to my body more this year. Hoping to do my local Parkrun tomorrow (weather dependent) and LSR of 10 miles on Sunday.

Happy running everyone

11/01/2013 at 21:47
Mel - did I really write that my old trainers were for swearing in??! I have visions of this mad women in old trainers, shouting rude things at passersby. Perfect Saturday round here by the sounds of it! Pay to work being too busy to post on here, but yaay to getting out and running anyway.

Lisa - had a lovely 10 miler this morning. Sun was really warm and I had to take my new jacket off after just 2 miles and hide it in a hedge to pick it up on my way back! Not what I was expecting! Sounds sensible to listen to your body if you've been really tired.

Sail and Toby - hope you don't get caught in the snow!

Hello to everyone else feeling like being very lazy this evening, as its been my first full week's training for quite a few weeks. Feet up and wine is in order I think!
12/01/2013 at 09:29

Hi all

Happy with the way my training has been going.Ran 7 miles yesterday so will just do 3 today.Having to switch runs around to allow for my two night shifts per week but no problem.Was thinking of doing my local park run today but its still cancelled as ground water-logged(has been since mid-nov)and not wanting to travel to the rather muddy one I did a few weeks ago though have plans to go back as i have a rather slow  time to beat there

B+T,glad its going well for you too.Was going to ask are there any hills at VLM?I dont think London is particually hilly but there again no where is completely flat!

Welcome Lisa and SamanthaWill try and catch up with what you're doing

SS,glad the running is going well and you're getting back into itSnow is forecast here on Monday,children excited but me less so!

Toby,good luck on your run today.No problem with men wearing tights

mel,glad your running is going well too and hope running club are treating you well

Have a good weekend all

13,561 to 13,580 of 15,337 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.