GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,601 to 13,620 of 15,317 messages
15/01/2013 at 08:23

Welcome back AH! Glad all seems to have gone well with the move and you're all settling down well. On the garmin Connect website you can search for runs that other runners have downloaded...

Yvonne - I was think you were lucky to get away with walking the dogs just 3 times a week!

Dee - you certainly get lots of support at Reading - I still have embarassing memories of hth University Cheerleaders all chanting my name and waving their pompoms at me to the amazement of my fellow runners

15/01/2013 at 11:14
Lol@ B&T

Welcome back AH

Race for life events are now announced 5k or 10k? can't make my mind up - doing it with the ladies from the fat fighters club I go to so some of them will do the 5k
16/01/2013 at 04:18

morning all

just 5 for me yesterday made i nice change not to be running in the rain the sun was out but still very nippy in the shade may do a recovery run on the treadmill today as i have the 20 i didn't last week on Friday

16/01/2013 at 17:42

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been around much lately again. Have just had a quick read through the latest posts ..

Lots of good training going on I see

AH - welcome back. Glad to read you are all settling in okay.

Susie - yep, "Big Bertha" is the short little killer hill in Ciren Park (the rest of the park is mainly gentle slopes).

The knee problem didn't amount to anything so I went running with the club on Mon eve and didn't have any problems. My friend C and I did 4.3mls at 10:15mm pace. My arrival at the club after a 6 month break was met with an "Oooh hello" from a few people (who obviously hadn't really noticed I'd been away!), a "welcome back" from some others, and one slightly sarcastic comment about my running (but not with them) which I'll ignore. I'm going to try and attend regularly again and will wait and see what develops.

BTW - re the Gore goodies, the response I got was that the items I got sent are from a 'lucky dip' of stuff sitting in the office. I see some of you wanted a picture of me modelling the headband. Guess I'll see what I can do before I donate it to someone.

Off to the club again shortly - hills/interval training tonight. Very cold so probably get a chance to wear my new pea-green beanie hat!

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 17:44
17/01/2013 at 08:25

Brrrr .. that club session last night was a bit nippy. I was glad I decided to wear my thermal top as well as my t-shirt and hi-viz jacket. I went with the black baseball cap instead of the beanie. A warm-up run to a nearby trading estate (well a not-quite-so-cold-when-we-got-there run really). Then we did some hill efforts (efforts on the uphill slope; jog recoveries back down). To finish we tried some downhill strides (lifting the knees; stretching out a bit more) and I was surprised how much faster I could run. I was really struggling on the cool-down run back to town and had to walk for a bit.

17/01/2013 at 08:32

And by popular demand 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/303571/gallery/17012013054.jpg?width=350

17/01/2013 at 08:38

Mel - love the photo Thank you. You look so happy! Sounds like a hard (and cold) session last night - well done.

Dee - can you already run 5k? Then challenge yourself to 10k!! (If you have long enough to train for it!)

Rest day for me today - feels lovely after 3 consecutive days running. However having seen the weather forecast for Friday I'm wondering if I should be out trying my 12 mile today. Legs say no, head says maybe!

17/01/2013 at 16:00
Mel love it!!!! Lol

I'm doing the 10k two of my daughters want to do it as well, so I'm going to do the Reading HM then having a couple if weeks off running (still going to cross train tho) then I will start training for the 10k

Supposed to be doing a 7 miler Saturday???? Might have to be a tready run again grrrrrrr
17/01/2013 at 16:38

Glad you both liked the photo

B&T - don't know if you did go out or not? Training 4 days in a row sounds well 'ard to me. Think they refer to it as a strip (as in continous strip) don't they? 

Dee - I was thinking if the promised snow arrives my run at the weekend will have to be on my treadie as well. Wish I had a tv/dvd player within viewing distance of the treadie like Toby.

*waves* to everyone else

17/01/2013 at 19:45

Crikey its cold out there tonight. A tempo 5 miler for me this evening ran in 42 mins, I am sure that my pace increased as it is so darn cold, felt strangely exhilerating but will probably take me the rest of the night to warm up!

Mel love the photo . Your club sounds very similar to a club that I tried, cliquey and not the friendliest bunch, its a real shame. Hope that you find your feet soon.

Toby well done on your fantastic weight loss. How did your 20 miler go?

Hello *waves* at  Another Hill .

Here's hoping that all the forecasted snow doesn't hang around for too long.

17/01/2013 at 22:33
Evening
Love the photo Mel, are you sure you don't want to keep it
Well done on even more weight loss Toby
Good for you Yvonne and so glad you're all settling in AH
I agree Lisa, it's freezing. I plodded round just under 5m tonight, bit slippy but only a dusting of snow so far. Kids are desperately hoping it will snow lots and school will close!
Fingers crossed I'll fit another parkrun in if footy is cancelled

24.06 Jan
18/01/2013 at 04:36

morning all

did a 5 mile recovery run on the treadmill on Wednesday and walk to and from work tonight so that's another 6 miles it is snowing here at the moment but more like rain than snow so it's not pitching so hopefully the 20 will still be on when i get up

Lisa never did it in the end was still feeling under the wather last Friday so took a step bad week just did 13 am having another go today snow permitting

18/01/2013 at 07:31
Well we got the promised snow, so LSR could be interesting tomorrow
18/01/2013 at 10:15

Toby think it's the treadmill for you today ...I tried getting my daughter to her exam at school today but roads so bad we turned round and came home...she can re sit  in summer...work is same place as school so I'm home and staying  here it's not worth the risk for 25 pound...oh and school is closed too anyway so off out with dogs in a min they love snow . patch had his first taste today and is still outside stay safe today 

18/01/2013 at 15:45

Hi all

Annoyingly had to miss my run todayJust too much snow.Children went to school but were home at lunchtime.Hopefully no snow over weekend so can do LSR on Sunday.Strangely local park run should be back tomorrow but they advise no pb chasers,trail shoes and to be careful Sounds scary and driving there not advisable as it is at the mo

mel,I love the hatHope the club treat you well

B+T,hope you got to do your 12 miles yesterday as probably heavy snow for you too todayMy long run says 70 mins(goes up in time until week 6)so will aim for 8 miles on Sun.

SS,glad you got out for 5I think the south been affected more with snow this time so hope you get to parkrun tomorrow

Lisa,thats a quick 5 miles,know what you mean about running fast to keep warmI might invest in some running gloves as my hands were freezing the other day though the rest of me was nice and warm(took a couple of miles though)

Yvonne,hope you had a good walk with your dogs

Toby,hope you got to do your run today

AH,great to hear you're all settling well.Would love to meet up at parkrun sometime

Have good weekend,hope not too snowy though

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 15:46
18/01/2013 at 16:05

Well - very snowy here. Children were delighted as school was closed, Mr B&T has only just finished working from home so he & S have set off for the hills with the sledge and snowboard! Too much snow for running - really should have gone out yesterday Hopefully I can get out over the weekend, as I presume Mr B&T's sportive will be cancelled on Sunday, wonder if the rugby will be on tomorrow??

Toby - - the snow was only forecast to start from about 6am so you obviously got back before it started - did you manage the 20??

Susie - sounds like you're in the same boat as me - frustrated runner!

Lisa - nice fast 5M for you. Its much easier to go faster whne its this cold - my HR is so low when I'm running I can almost kid myself I've got fitter!

Sal - did you get any snow?

Yvonne - when listening out for the list of Wiltshire schools closed this morning I kept hearing that they were open for those taking exams. What a pain, and well done for trying to get her there. Hope you're all enjoying the snow (and the dogs too!)

Dee - good luck for tomorrow - have you got lots of snow there??

18/01/2013 at 17:07

B&T yes farmors was open for those doing their a level module 2 exams... jenny had her chemistry and biology last week and it was physics today at 9am ...we slid twice coming out of our village then the major roads were awful we didnt even attempt the country roads we normally travel on....made a tactical decision to turn round as it was getting worse....rang the school when we got home and have been advised jenny can re sit exam in the summer...the buses were not running so parents had to try and get their children in for the exams not sure how many made it....

Went out twice today with dogs for a total of 3 hours they loved it...its beautiful out there

18/01/2013 at 18:43

Toby think it's the treadmill for you today ...I tried getting my daughter to her exam at school today but roads so bad we turned round and came home...she can re sit  in summer...work is same place as school so I'm home and staying  here it's not worth the risk for 25 pound...oh and school is closed too anyway so off out with dogs in a min they love snow . patch had his first taste today and is still outside stay safe today 

18/01/2013 at 18:44

not sure why my last post before has decided to say hello again 

18/01/2013 at 19:16

boy was i wrong Bristol ground to a halt but wasn't as brave as some who ventured out with my running today  did the 20 miles on the treadmill but because ours is only a basic one and the distance display only goes up 9.99k broke it down into 4x 5 mile sections with a short brake in between to cool down had have a change of shirt

13,601 to 13,620 of 15,317 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.