GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,621 to 13,640 of 15,186 messages
18/01/2013 at 20:12
We had about 2 - 3 inches so far and it's still snowing abit on the costa del Solent aka south coast.

Managed to struggle the 18 miles into work - snow wasn't as bad there.
Thinking a road run is going to be out of the question tomorrow as we are forecast more snow all weekend. Hopefully if the roads aren't to bad ill get to the gym and do my run on the tready.

Our dogs have loved the snow the two pups haven't seen it before and have loved playing in it.

Stay warm and safe guys xxx
18/01/2013 at 22:17
Glad to hear the dogs have been enjoying the snow. Our old cat (the black one) hasn't set paw over the doorstep today. Our young tabby spent about an hour going in and out, running round and getting very cold and snowy. He then proceeded to sleep all the rest of the day. Had the right idea!
19/01/2013 at 12:27

10 miles LSR completed in snow and ice today instead of tomorrow (due to the weather forecast of heavy snow all day tomorrow). Enjoyed the first 8 miles, however the last 2 were not great Ijust got too cold and the effort was just draining - but at least it means I can rest up and hibernate for the rest of the weekend now.

Hope you all manage to get out there if that is what your plans are. Happy running all.

19/01/2013 at 13:29
Did 7 mile LSR on the tready - really did not want to risk running on the snow and ice. Run seemed to take ages though, really need the weather to be better next week so I can get these LSR out on the road.

Well done on the run Lisa out in the snow and ice.
Edited: 19/01/2013 at 16:42
19/01/2013 at 19:21
Evening all
Well 8 of us from club went out tho morning for our 7miler. Was beautiful morning just a tab icy in places but we all stayed upright and just took a sensible pace really enjoyed and glad made the effort.
Tomoz a short 4 miler with neighbour again looking to turn extreme cold here tommorow but no more snow here ( south Wales )

This weather is a test when we all have events ahead and need to get miles under belt x
20/01/2013 at 17:50

Dee I admire anyone that can run on the treadmill for sustained periods - the longest I can manage is 5k due to the boredom factor setting in - so well done on your 7 miles.

Sam well done on your group LSR, glad you enjoyed it.

Well I went out again today for a 5 mile recovery run in deeper snow then yesterday and whilst it was falling heavily. I just couldn't resist it I loved every second.

No running for me tomorrow - pilates instead.

20/01/2013 at 18:14

Lisa and Samantha,well done on your runs.Sounds like you had fun.What do you wear on your feet?I was tempted to run outside today but wear Mizuno Wave inspire 8 and although usually they are great,they dont have the best grip over snow,especially the compacted stuff.So today i went down to the gym and ran 6 miles on the treadmill and biked for 3 miles.The boredom factor def comes into play especially with the only screen showing Eastenders with subtitleswith some rather monotonous dance music playing

Because I'm not a member of the gym it cost £5.50 but was beginning to go a bit scatty as hadnt run since Weds

Anyway i've now ordered some Yaktrax(should've ages ago)Does anyone else use them?

Hope you all had a good weekend

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 18:15
20/01/2013 at 18:41

Susiebe I ran in my trail shoes both today and yesterday - Brooks Cascadia. I think that I could probably have run in my Saucony Kinvara road shoes though as it was fresh snow both days so not too slippy. Although if it freezes over and becomes icy i think Yaktrax are the only way to go ( i haven't got any of those though so let us know how you get on with them).

I am a gym member but avoid the gym part if you know what I mean - full of over inflated muscles (and ego's) generally, although at the moment its also full of newbies - however I am sure that come March that may no longer be the case . I generally only use my membership to attend 3 pilates classes a week.

20/01/2013 at 20:04
I'm lucky it's a work gym, so it's never busy when I use it. In fact if I have to share it with two others its positively crowded lol

Only way I got through 7 miles on the ready was with my trusty iPhone and watching people out the window slipping and sliding down the hill!!!

All the snow here has compacted into ice so hoping for a bit if a thaw before next Saturday as I've got an 8 miler on my training plan and really need to get it out on the road, have got two routes planned out just in case ones too icy
20/01/2013 at 23:46
Hi all - glad most of us have been getting our runs in, one way or the other! I got something called Icebiters - sound very similar to Yaktraks. Just fasten with Velcro around your foot, and the little studs / spikes dig into the snow and ice like magic! Managed 8 miles on Saturday, was supposed to be 12 but it's very hard work, even with the Icebiters, so I reckoned it would have to do.

Still looking very icy all next week so I think I'll using the Icebiters again!
21/01/2013 at 14:00

afternoon all

well 8 miles done on treadmill today as the pavements are still covered in compacted snow and ice but at the rate it's melting at the moment i could well be out for a run tomorrow

22/01/2013 at 04:00

Morning all

well just 5 for me today we had a light shower of snow just before i came home from work stop now so i am hoping that will be that all though if the icebitersi ordered on B&T recommendation yesterday arrive i may well get to try them out if it starts again

22/01/2013 at 11:11

Toby - we just had a light snow shower last night, so hopefully not too much for you either. Hope you like the Icebiters after I recommended then Just make sure you fasten them quite tightly round your shoes - mine flew off yesterday at one point!

I didn't bother with mine today, as most of the roads are clear now. They're small enough to pop in your pocket which is good as, like today, I took them just in case the back lanes were icier than Ithought they'd be.  Still managed to find some fluffy snow to trudge through, and also a couple of patches of slippy stuff - good for getting your HR up! 6 miles done - felt hard work though. Not sure if its the snow, or I'm running too fast in order to get / keep warm, or if my legs have finally realised I'm marathon training. Trying not to think about Friday's 14 miles - no one tell  my legs or they'll go on strike!

Hope everyone else is managing okay in the snow. Susie - how's your marathon training going? And is everyone being brave enough to come back out from the gym??

22/01/2013 at 11:23

Oh - if anyone wants a giggle, have a look at this website "Seriously Ugly Race Pics"

Some very funny pics - they say "if you look good, you're not working hard enough"!

22/01/2013 at 11:23
Planning on being out from the gym this weekend. All depends on the conditions on the roads, too scared of slipping and undoing all the good work my surgeon done I. Getting my Achilles back in working order
22/01/2013 at 14:45

Afternoon all

just 5 miles for me today ventured out for a run as the pavements in our road didn't look to bad and on a whole were clear like B&T there were still one or two places that were a bit dodgy but so just slowed down aim for of today’s run just get around in one piece

22/01/2013 at 17:11

well my icebiters arrived this afternoon just in time for the snow to have melted though secretly i hope i don't have to use them now although i have been told we're supposed to have more snow tonight

22/01/2013 at 20:14
Evening

We got off lightly with the snow, only a couple of inches so school on but parkrun cancelled and not run til tonight cos very slippy. Slow 5 tonight tho and nice to be back out. Mind you feel a bit feeble as you've all been getting out there
Can't believe yo did 20 miles on the treadmill Toby..hope you had something good to watch
Went to see Lion King at the weekend and it was great, can highly recommend it if its touring near you
Decided to enter the 10k in March.
29.26 jan
22/01/2013 at 20:16

Another 5 miles for me this evening in near blizzard conditions, fresh snow on top of sludge which was slowly freezing - so not my finest run, nor my most sensible idea. In fact i ran past a couple and the guy said to his partner that I had obviously lost the plot running in those conditions. I almost agreed with him at that point !!

Good to hear that others are braving the weather as well.

Black & Tabby haha, I would burn some of those photo's rather then put on a website!!

22/01/2013 at 20:30
Toby - typical your ice biters arrived just as the snow disappears! Still its been snowing again tonight here so I expect you'very had some more as well?

Lisa - fresh snow on top of freezing slush sounds hard going. Well done on surviving it! Some of those photos Ares just ace, aren't they? I sent a couple in, don't know if I actually want them to go up or not!

Sal - well done on entering the 10k mojo coming back?

Dee - don't blame you not wanting to risk injuring yourself. Very sensible

Need to do a quick 3 miles tomorrow before taking the car to the garage. So need the weather to be decent for both things!
13,621 to 13,640 of 15,186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.