GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,641 to 13,660 of 15,160 messages
22/01/2013 at 21:41
Grrrrrr snowing hard again on the south coast just as it had nearly all melted forecast for more snow later in the week not looking hopeful for a LSR outside again this week.

Well done in those that are I take Mels lovely beanie hat off to you
23/01/2013 at 03:50

morning all

well it snowed all night her but at the moment hasn't pitched let hope it stays that way weathers supposed to be on the change Sunday there forecasting wet and very windy

23/01/2013 at 12:45

Hi everyone - having another catch-up session. Lots of frustrated runners and dreadmill running going on I see. Except for those who have yak-trax or similar .. or like to live dangerously!

Lisa - I'm taking things slowly with the club. Going to see if I can merge back in and fingers crossed this time I can find a partner for long weekend runs. Well done for managing 10ml LSR on Saturday and 5ml run on Sunday. Not sure 5ml run in snow on frozen slush was good idea

Sal - I'm kinda getting attached to that headband As a 60-ish overweight man I probably already look daft in my hi-viz jacket so can't see the headband making that much difference!

Yvonne - see you've had probs getting to work and daughter to exams - good news they can be taken later.

Susie - I would definitely invest in some gloves if I were you. Well done re 6ml dreadmill run - how does that gym music go again? (thump, thump, thump...)

Toby - am impressed with your perseverance doing 20 mls on the dreadmill (even if it was broken up into 4x 5ml)

Dee - I find anything over 3mls on a treadmill feels longer than the equivalent outdoors run. Lucky you having uncrowded work gym to use. I used to have that option available years ago (sigh ..).

Samantha - well done too re getting out on Sat and extra marks for staying upright!

B&T - see you managed 8ml run with icebiters - well done. Had a look at that website and it made me chuckle.

I worked from home on Friday because of the weather. I didn't run on Saturday - we had 4" of snow so I cleared the drive (cross-training!) Monday's club run was cancelled so I did a 3ml tempo run on the treadmill. We've had more snow overnight so I'm working from home again and my boss said do the same tomorrow if needs be. The roads/pavements are still icy here so will do another treadmill run later. BTW - just seen my neighbour slide across the road attempting to drive somewhere .. am glad I decided to stay put!

23/01/2013 at 12:48

You've seen the headband. So as Dee mentioned my lovely Beanie Hat it sems only fair you get to see that as well ..

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/303571/gallery/22012013060.jpg?width=350

23/01/2013 at 12:50

Bet you can't wait to see the baseball cap eh? (patience grasshopper ..)

23/01/2013 at 12:53

Well .. seems rude not to as I'm here now

Connect 4!!!!

Postscript: Neighbour's car has dissapeared but he's managed to churn up his lawn and dislodge a big stone in the process - silly ar$e - should have walked.

23/01/2013 at 14:37
Loving the beanie Mel - Bet its good for running in - doesn't fall of etc. Was it only headwear you got from Gore?!

3 miles in ankle deep untracked snow this morning. Felt very adventurous am currently killing time around shops whilst waiting for car to be fixed. Have been here since quarter past ten, about to give up and walk back to dealers and see if I can snooze on their comfy chairs until it's ready. Sure they won't mind ....
23/01/2013 at 15:12

A great photo Mel 5 miles done today icebiters got there first wearing work a treat i must say rest day tomorrow then 18 on Friday let hope the snow keeps melting

23/01/2013 at 16:17

Managed 4 miles todayReally great to have got out as was dreading the dreadmill again.Yaktrax not arrived yet(snow will be gone when they do) so  just ran round local football pitch 3 times in some lovely crunchy snow then ran part on pavement,part on road depending where the icey bits wherefelt great to be out as was snowing abit while I was running but i felt nice and warm

Am looking at an autumn HM,so probably will do Swindon HM as have yet to do that one

B+T,hope car fixed now,bet the dealers didnt mind a bit

mel,another great hatyes the gym music went just like that!

toby,great that your ice-biters have arrived.

Did you do Swindon HM,or am I thinking Cricklade,or actually sure you did bothBoth in the autumn so may look at Cricklade as well,which do you recommend?

have a good day all,my two at the after school gardening club today so no pick up til 4.30

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 16:18
23/01/2013 at 16:27

Susie yes can highly recommend both Swindon and Cricklade both well organized although i think Swindon had the edge as you wern't running in traffic

23/01/2013 at 17:42

B&T - as you can see, green beanie is very snug on head so unlikely to fall off

Toby - well done re 5ml run and glad to hear ice-biters worked a treat

Susie - well done for managing to get out for a run (cabin fever?). I'm planning an autumn marathon (missing the Spring ones due to being away). Swindon/Cricklade are both on my radar so probably see you at one of them. Think B&T did Malmesbury HM around same time too? Swindon HM starts in town then heads out into country lanes unless course has changed. Thought Cricklade was also country lanes until I read Toby's comment about traffic.

23/01/2013 at 18:14

Re Swindon half marathon think there was word of a course change for this year so not too sure if that would mean more road with traffic....the roads are coned off so you still share car space but you cant get run over...cricklade you do share road space with cars but i must say they all do move over or stop... as the sight of 500 runners coming towards them must be kind of scary but its very safe as the volunteer stewards do let you know what side of road to stay and they are country roads not the 419 ..

WTN MEL great pic ..

Not been running since i went out with the daughter...i need to get my arse into gear and book that race to give me incentive... i have been on the cross trainer does that kind of count...and doing walking lunges at work when noone is in..the whole pub to myself walking lunges around the middle brick wall....feel like john cleese and his funny walk

I keep getting e mails through to run brighton marathon for different charities it does take all my will power to delete them..i convince myself its too late to start training and also i did promise kids i wouldnt do a spring marathon but i never said i wouldnt do an autumn one ive got one lined up..and a few halfs like last year....

23/01/2013 at 19:20
Mel you legend!!! Loving the pic, yet another dreadmill run this morning 45 mins before work, but upped the pace 0.5 mph quicker than usual was fair to say I was slightly hot once finished.

Came home to middle daughter wanted to start running so ventured out with her for 8 sets if 1 minute running 1.5 minutes walking, roads and paths weren't too bad so fingers crossed for LSR on roads Saturday
23/01/2013 at 19:22

Susie, Toby  and Black & Tabby well done on getting out there. Its a tough decision whether to run in the snow/slush/ice due to all the risks of falling etc - but when you get back home its a great feeling knowing that you have done it.

Another 3.5 miler for me this evening - deciding to run in my normal trainers as thought that it would have melted more then it had. Probably not the best decision as spent most of my run hopping between road and pavement whichever looked like it had the least snow. But at least that meant it was a good core workout!!

Yvonne what Marathon have you got your eye on then?

Looks like I will be now running the Brighton Marathon as well as the Brighton HM as a friend is not able to run it anymore due to illness - I know that transfer of numbers isn't allowed but it seems to good an opportunity to miss . So now I have my first HM in Feb and my first Full Marathon in April eekk!!

23/01/2013 at 21:40

Lisa I was going to do the Bacchus marathon its normally held in september and is in Surrey junction 7 off the m25 with wine and beer instead of or is that as well as water and gels .....if you enter before a certain date it's cheaper ....

I'm sure you can transfer numbers if you do it before a cut off date?????

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 21:43
23/01/2013 at 23:41
Lisa - I'm doing Brighton marathon this year although I'm looking the sound of the Bacchus , Yvonne! Laughing at the thought of you doing the funny walk at work Was Swindon half the hilly one?

Dee - running twice in one day - fantastic!

Mel / Susie - yes I did Malmesbury half last year, nice run on little lanes. Chippenham is back on this year, but Susie I know you've already run that one. Cricklade did sound good last year. Yes, car is now fixed (at great expense!)

Drumming fingers awaiting for the baseball cap photo, Mel!
24/01/2013 at 04:30

yes Crackled is a lot flatter than Swindon were there are hills but also affair share of down hill as well so there is a better chance of a PB at Cricklade but to be honest i enjoy both equally plus the landlady of the B&B we stay at in Cricklade is very frenidly

24/01/2013 at 07:07
Portsmouth hold several different marathons throughout the year, I know they do one that's a coastal marathon where you run along the shore line and through the sea when the tide comes it (sounds brutal) then the other I know about is the Xmas marathon that's about a week before Xmas on the feeding stations they have mould wine and mince pies lol. I'm fairly sure there's a couple if others throughout the year too.

B&T car trouble eugh! Had that before Xmas got another one, only to be forwarded on from the garage we got it from the receipts of work its had done, bit worrying as things like the turbo have been replaced (cars only done 46000) still fingers crossed now the works done it'll be ok

Lisa one of my training partners in the gym has done Brighton, she was telling me about the hills! Don't think Brighton would be one for me - hills and my Achilles don't mix
24/01/2013 at 07:21

there are no hills on the Brighton marathon course just one iddy biddy slight incline that you hardly notice ....promise...I've ran it three times....and the half there once .

24/01/2013 at 09:09

B&T - Gore goodies all head-wear apart from a pair of shorts (which seem to be too big). Slightly dissapointed tbh as the stuff you win is just a 'lucky dip' from whatever the PR company has hanging around.

Yvonne - cross-trainer counts and thanks for chuckle-vision picture in my head of you doing walking lunges around pub!

Dee - well done re dreadmill run

Lisa - well done re 3.5ml run but whoops re wrong trainers

Susie - lots of choice for autumn half then - Cricklade, Swindon, Malmesbury. Would be nice to pick the same one!

I managed a 3ml dreadmill run yesterday after work. On 2nd mile I decided to up the speed from usual 5.6-6mph then 6.5mph for 3rd mile. Completed the run in 27:36 (9.12mm pace) so well pleased with that. But .. it WAS treadmill run so don't know I could do the same outside. 

13,641 to 13,660 of 15,160 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.