GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,681 to 13,700 of 15,186 messages
29/01/2013 at 17:23

well 8 done very wet and wind swept miles for me today time wise the run took 1:16:30 and looking back is about the same as last year mind you the pace went from 9:30m/m to 11:30 in the last mile as i hit a wicked head wind so it may have been quicker

29/01/2013 at 21:06

Toby well done on the weigt loss - you must look very much like a racing whippet now

A supposedly easy 3 miler for me this evening followed by a pilates class. However it felt like hard work with the head wind and the rain, was quite pleased that my plan was only a 3 miler! I am hoping that the weather improves for my 7 miles planned for tomorrow evening but somehow I doubt it.

30/01/2013 at 16:33

Hi everyone,

Yet another catch-up session after a few days away

B&T - sorry to hear about recent car troubles. Are you still drumming fingers waiting to see Gore baseball cap? Keep drumming! Wow, just read on and well done re (longest ever) 15ml run - v. impressive! And then a very muddy 7mls too - turning into wonder woman by any chance?

Susie - well done re Fri's long run. If you are planning to do Swindon HM I'll do the same if that's okay? Might do Cricklade 10k as well. I really must check the club's list of races.

Toby - well done re various running lately including that 20ml run - sorry it was so cold for you on that one. And huge well done for reaching your target weight.

Dee - yay! to your (longest ever) 9ml run And great to hear Sweatshop run worked out okay (liking the sound of the goodies too).

Lisa - I see your planned 12miler on Sun worked out okay - well done.

Sal - re comments about beanie piccy - aw shucks, thanks!

Cotswold Wolf (aka. AR) - welcome (back!) to the thread! As you've said to me in the past, you'll soon regain your fitness.

I managed three treadie runs last week. Wed was the best one but I cut short Friday's one. Tried upping the pace again but felt a pain in my right calf so stopped there and then (no after-effects thank goodness).

I didn't manage to run last weekend but did the club run on Mon eve (was v. windy). Some people more friendly this time (good sign!). However, while running with a group I didn't see a pothole and turned over on my left ankle. But despite that I still managed to complete the run (4.7mls at 10:20 mm pace which was a nice surprise). It's been a bit stiff since but seems better today - no damage done and am hoping I'll be out running again by the weekend - will try and do 7-8mls.

30/01/2013 at 17:38

Mel hope the ankles Ok

30/01/2013 at 19:09

Well lots of running has been going on since i last read this thread...well done to everyone..Wtnmel rest that ankle here hoping its ok..glad the club is a little friendlier..B&T rather you than me running on slippy mud its bad enough i find walking the dogs with my wellies on on the muddy tracks round here..

Toby, amazing weight loss, well done!! was you allowed to have a special donut you know the ones i mean...could you save some points..the hardest part now is maintaining the weight loss are you going to continue to go to ww for this...?

Well i dont know whats come over me, i did half hours running on the dreadmill last night and another half hours running tonight, again on the dreadmill...i dont like running in the wind, i once had really bad trouble taking a breath once and it scared me so im a bit dubious now....

30/01/2013 at 22:04
Toby and Lisa - agree that running into a headwind is hard work - had 2 miles of it this morning myself. Shattered when I got back, and it was only a 4 mile run in total.

Mel - glad the running's going well, and that the club were friendlier. Glad your ankle feels okay - but rest it if it's at all wobbly (technical term)

Yvonne - sounds like a scary time you had in the wind once. Well done for getting on the treadmill instead.

Feeling really tired tonight - keep telling myself marathon training is meant to tire you out, but it's not helping!
30/01/2013 at 22:54

Yes b&t marathon training does tire you out big time but the rewards for running one does fill you with pride and achievement so keep smiling....

I just couldn't breath going into a head wind once it was so strong it literally took my breath away I had to turn around and stay calm then I kind of ran sideways until I turned out of it ...didn't enjoy it ..

31/01/2013 at 04:29

Hi Yvonne yes will keep going now I've hit target i apparently i become a Gold card member which means as long as i stay with in 5lbs of my target i don't have to pay to go to meetings

must say i struggled a little the last couple of days as i think all the training i done over the past 6 days caught up with me as a result i was particularly hungry and ended up going over my allowance i may have to ask the leader if i need to up the points allowance to give my self a chance to refuel proprtley

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 04:38
31/01/2013 at 07:51

Yes good idea toby the last thing you want is passing out on a long run especially when you sometimes go with mrs toby too..

Thats why like i said earlier i found it easier to lose weight before xmas when i wasnt running as running makes you feel so hungry...even just doing the 2 little dreadmill runs over last few days i noticed last night and night before my tummy was rumbling before bedtime unheard of in the last 2 months without running..just had to ignore rumblings and go to bed ..porridge now is very welcome...

31/01/2013 at 12:45

Yvonne thats very good of you i think that if it had been me with the rumbling tummy the tummy would have won

31/01/2013 at 14:47

Quick ankle update - not so noticeable today and yesterday so improving quicker than expected. Might even manage a jog-ette at the weekend at this rate!

31/01/2013 at 19:38
Mel - that's good news about the ankle. Take it stay if you do go out (nag nag nag!)

Yvonne &Toby - I've been using an app to track what I eat for a few weeks. Just wanted to see why I never lost any weight despite doing so much running, and wanted to try and lose the muffin top so I look better in my racing shorts *blush* Was very interesting to see where the calories were coming from (mostly hot chocolate after runs - whoops! Can sympathise with going to bed feeling a bit 'empty'! However, as my mileage is now creeping up, I reckon I need the calories to keep going so I've abandoned my counting. (Hooray!)

12 tomorrow - just hope the wind dies down before then
31/01/2013 at 19:53

Mel good news about the ankle and glad that the running club is more inclusive this time round.

Yvonne I am pleased to hear that marathon training is tiring, I am feeling pretty shattered a lot of the time - I guess its the increase in mileage. May need to look at my diet to ensure that I am fuelling properly.

I have decided that running into a wind is the worst weather to run in. Went out for a 7 miler yesterday and found it so tough. Only lasted 6.5 miles in the end although I really wanted to turn around and head home a 4 miles. It really made me doubt my abilities to run Brighton HM let alone the full BM

However managed a quick 3.5 miler today, thankfully wind was not quite as strong and felt better throughout the run, so here's hoping that we don't have gale force winds the day of the races.

B&T good luck on your 12 miler tomorrow.

01/02/2013 at 18:18

Evening all

well 15 miles done today it was nice to go out in the sun although the wind did take the temperature down some what the whole run took 2:22:51 with an Avg pace of 9:28 so  nearly down to what i need to get that sub 4hr at Brighton although they do say you LSR should be done a minute slow than you intend to run

02/02/2013 at 00:36
Well done on the 15 Toby - took me about the same time to do my 12! Was lovely in the few minutes the sun came out Very tired more though - been a busy week.

Lisa - definitely need to think about your'fuelling' with this marathon lark!
02/02/2013 at 06:37

morning all

have to say i was a little disappointed with my run yesterday as i felt i struggled somewhat but on refection perhaps it was only natural when i looked back and thought well if you take in last Fridays run it was coming of the back of a 51mile week

And then i got the biggest surprise i was comparing yesterday’s runs to previous runs i done of that length on the Garmin web site and happen to notice this

Week 8 LSR Brighton     Fri 3 Feb 2012 1:10pm time 2:35:56 distance 15:13

Brighton 2013 week 8   Fri 1Feb 2013 1:13pm time 2:22:52 distance 15:10

Turns out i was 13:04 faster over the same route as last year so hay just goes to show i don’t know a good run when I’m having one

02/02/2013 at 12:02
Have not managed any runs since Monday cos of a cold/cough virus. Tried to do a 6 mile LSR only managed 2.5 before throat said no more

Will try a 5k on Monday with the sweatshop and see how that goes. Forgot how much a virus takes out of you
02/02/2013 at 12:37

Dee sorry your not feeling well hope you get better soon

02/02/2013 at 12:55
Thanks Toby

I was a brilliant advert to say how fit and healthy you get from running as I coughed and spluttered my way round Southampton common this morning lol even the dog walkers were giving me funny looks
02/02/2013 at 15:05

Hi all

11 miles yesterday and park run this amOH now away for 10 days so had to fit long run in yesterday and a quick park run before he left this am.

Lisa,great another marathonerSure you will be fine,will the marathon follow some of the HM course as good if you can picture the course before.I know what you mean about being tired,though I am quite tired most of the time(from night shifts)so just a bit more tired than usual

B+T,well done on the 12,great running weather today so hope you have a good run this weekend

Toby,you're doing really well with your running and weight loss,really well done.the times prove my point

Dee,hope youre soon feeling better

mel,would be good to see you at Swindon.I cant really commit til nearer the time,to make sure OH going to be in the country, but sure it will be OK.Would be good to meet up before or after the raceMy sister lives in Swindon and was telling me 'you do know that the HM goes UP Liddington Hill'

have a good weekend all

13,681 to 13,700 of 15,186 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.