GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,701 to 13,720 of 15,266 messages
03/02/2013 at 11:09
Toby - great run compared with last year. Not surprised it felt harder!

Dee get well soon. Some really funny bugs around at the moment, so well done on cutting your run short when you had to. at the dog walkers giving you funny looks!

Susie - always hard fitting in around OHs so week done for getting your runs in before he went. Mr B&T s been busy finding 'sportives' to cycle in on Sundays which means if I want to book a race its a case of 'whoever gets to the calendar first'!

Talking of Autumn races, I'm quite keen to do Cricklade HM this year, as it sounds such a lovely little race and I left it too late to enter last year. However Chippenham's definitely on this year, so add my local HM I want to do that one, and Malmesbury was such a good race last year I'd be keen to do that one again as well! Hmm - could be a busy September...

Right, back to icing my shins. They've been a bit sore since Friday and they're making me nervous
03/02/2013 at 11:41
Morning
Just back from a rather wet 6.3m , slow but felt comfortable.
Fingers crossed your shins hold up this year B&T. I'm back using myfitnesspal to track my eating as would like to get down to 10st by the summer if poss. Depressing how many calories in those little treats!
Not surprising you struggled a bit Toby running so fast you really deserve that sub4 this year
Have a new core routine to trial for Feb, I'll let you know how I get on

8.14feb
03/02/2013 at 12:03
B&T if your shins are sore and you suspect shin splint stretch them out by kneeling on the floor and sit on your lowers legs ( so top if feet are flat on floor) and slowly lean back keeping knees on floor. It stretches not only quads but the thin layer of muscle that's under the shin can't for the life of me remember its name.

Thanks for the get well wishes, I feel strangely better since trying to run, but still not 100%.

Well done all on the running seems you are all doing great from the comments on here
03/02/2013 at 14:12

13.37 miles for me this morning in 2hr and 4 mins. Was hoping to run 14 miles, but I went flying at mile 12.5 and literally landed on my face, so curtailed my run slightly. Knee and right han and right boob sore, ego battered but otherwise ok. Can't believe that I went out in snow and ice and stayed upright throughout, and chose to fall over in stupidly busy part of my run today .  Also managed to slip down the stairs yesterday and bruise my backside and elbow, was hoping to do parkrun but called it off due to feeling sore - really not having a good week, fingers crossed that it gets better for next week. 

Speedier sal well done on your run this morning, and good luck with your core exercises they will really benefit your running.

Susie great running yesterday. Its very difficult sometimes to organise runs around life and partners etc.

B&T good luck with stretching and icing hope that your shins stop aching.

Dee fingers crossed that you will be back out there soon, and feeling like your old self without coughing and spluttering.

03/02/2013 at 15:06

Afternoon all

Well Longleat 10k done and dusted alarm went off at 6.30am had my usual toast and a cup of coffee for breakfast then up to do my stretches by this time it was time to get changed to go  we were out the door by 8.10am the journey down was uneventful and the sat nav did it jobs and  got us there we arrived 9.10 and by the time we queued up for the loo and wondered back to the car to put our numbers on then back to the loo for the O/H it was time to make our way to the start

i did ask the O/H if she wanted me to run with her but she kindly said it was time for me to have a go for a PB so as i past the correct pen we parted company was only stood there a couple of minutes before the race got under way

The 1k was a steep climb up hill followed by a nice run down again i did my usual trick of trying to catch the person in front and for a while chased a very speed lady before passing her on the next steep climb had no real idea of pace although i did look at the Garmin and try to keep it in the 8m/m range

7k came and went before i knew it and the km seem to be flying by 7 to 8k involved the same steep climb that you had done on the first 1k which did mean however there was a nice downhill run to the finish

Couldn’t’ contain myself when i look at the time on the Garmin as i crossed the line for it read 49:26 a new PB by 3 minutes and my first ever sub 50 minute 10k just down loaded the splits they were as follows

8:57, 7:12, 7:44, 7:58, 9:02; 7:15 giving me an Avg pace of 7:58m/m

then i wondered back to the point where you start the second loop and waited for the wife to pass quick visit to the loo and back to the finish to cheer the O/H home she did so well considering the hills coming in a time of 1:18:43 to set a new PB imagine what she could do on a flat course that’s was at least 5 minutes of her previous time although this wasn’t chipped just done of the clock time

If you go back to the last time she did a race with a chip time back in 2011 she’s actual  just under 16 minutes faster

03/02/2013 at 17:00
Thanks Sal - I need to find a new abs routinebit stick of the American lady on my DVD!

Dee - glad you're feeling better, and thanks for that stretch. Just given it a try, much to my kids amusement!

Lisa - ow ow ow! Sounds like a rough couple of days - hope you heal up quickly and aren't left too stiff and sore.

Toby - great race report - thank you! Amazing for both you & Mrs Toby to get PBs, as I know those hills all too well. Fantastic to get sub 50
03/02/2013 at 17:23

Thanks B&T it did come as i pleasant surprise as i really didn't think i was that fast i thought it was more like 8:30 pace

04/02/2013 at 08:51

Hi everyone,

B&T - I have the same problem of not losing weight (a la Toby) despite running. I'm obviously over-compensating somewhere!

Toby - another 15 miler done on Friday I see - well done. And great improvement on last year's time over same distance. You're better than you think!

(((Dee))) - sorry to hear about cough/cold lurgy .. hope you are feeling 100% again soon.

Susie - well done re Fri's 11 mile run. Hope we can manage to meet up at Swindon HM. I think your sister is wrong - route does have uphill stretch but not Liddington Hill .. unless it's changed into an off-road race!

B&T (again) - I know what you mean about Cricklade, Chippenham, Malmesbury all having some appeal. As you say, could be a busy September! Sorry to hear shins are sore.

Sal - well done re yesterday's 6 miler. I think I need to start using MFP again as I am obviously taking in more calories than I realise but don't know where from.

Dee - like that shin split stretch. I did an ITEC massage/anatomy/physiology course in 2010 (passed with credit) so should have remembered. But confess, I looked it up. According to my textbook "Shin splints is a rather loose term that describes pain in the shin caused by activities like running. The tugging of the medial border of the tibia by the fascia covering the soleus, gastrocnemus muscles and other muscles, caused the periosteum to rise up from the bone with resultant inflammation"

(((Lisa))) - have to agree re running in the wind being the worst (and most tiring) to run in. Well done re that 13.5 mile run but sorry to hear you fell over towards the end and now have sore knees, hand and boob (ouch!). And then slipped on the stairs later and bruised your bum and elbow too! (ouch! ouch!). Hope you are not feeling so sore soon - are you playing count the bruises in the shower in the meantime? 

Toby (again) - just read on and seen you managed a new PB at the Longleat 10k - well done and very impressive running. And congrats to Mrs Toby for her new PB as well.

No running for me yet - ankle still a bit stiff and doesn't feel 'right' so resisting the temptation to get out for a run. I had a bit of a surprise on Saturday - went round the side of the garage to discover one of the large trees had blown over in the wind (no broken branches but unable to get it back where it was stood before). I have had to prune it back rather severely - will try to post photos on FB soon.

04/02/2013 at 18:01
Thanks for that Mel!! I only remember it cos it was one of my questions in my health n fitness instructor exam many moons ago! Sorry to hear your ankle is still sore

Toby - wow! What an improvement and well done to mrs Toby too

B&T - my kids think I'm nuts too, but now they are older I've convinced them its genetics and I get it from my mum lol

Feel a bit better today a lot less washed out so going to Ho out on the sweatshop run in a while and see how it goes, probably will still cough and splutter, but getting seriously grumpy cos I'm not exercising
05/02/2013 at 05:08

morning all well 10 mile for me yesterday and 5 today then a short 4 miles recover run on the treadmill Wednesday whole run took me 1:35:52 Avg pace of 9:24m/m so very pleased

there is only one disadvantage to running this quick i get less weight watcher activity points so actually have to do more exercise down another 1.5 pounds at the weigh in yesterday putting me down to 10st 10lbs  which is good in some ways but not in other as i am now supposed to be just maintain the weight loss so will have to increase my food intake slightly till i get it right

05/02/2013 at 07:36
Well sweatshops 5k run turned out to be 3.8 miles. Two of my daughters did it so we had to walk twice for one of them that's getting fit, but still got round in about 36 minutes. Throat was not too bad, was a great feeling to be out running again.

Toby - another good training session seems you are flying at the moment.

Been given a schedule from the sweatshop, they have some good sessions coming up, including some time trials, technique workshops and a team London to Paris challenge. They also do a Thursday night hill or speed sessions on alternate weeks. Shame I take gymnasts out from a local club on Thursdays for a running session or I would be doing that too
05/02/2013 at 14:12

Toby - more good running going on I see - well done.

Dee - glad to hear you managed to get out running again and it was okay.

I'm crawling up the wall with not having been able to run (is it only a week?). I walked into town yesterday to order a new passport(*) and it felt fine. So I'm thinking, b****r it, I'm going to run on my treadmill later or tomorrow and see how it goes. On Fetcheveryone I've set myself a target of 500 miles this year and it has a useful graph to track progress. I couldn't help notice my 'miles done' line is about to dip under my target line

(*) Slightly surreal conversation in the post office yesterday ..

(Postie) Going anywhere nice?   (Me) We're off on a cruise to see the Northern Lights   (P) Been on a cruise before?   (M) No, first time   (P) Don't forget to pack your dinner jacket!   (M) It's not that sort of cruise - its a car/passenger ferry that travels up and down the coast of Norway   (P) Oh .. so you don't have to get dressed for dinner   .. (pause) ..   Errr, no, sorry, that wasn't what I meant!! 

05/02/2013 at 17:30

5 miles done have to say i am looking forward to Thursday as it's a rest day what with the race on Sunday and going to the park run Saturday to keep the O/H company and the run tomorrow I've now run every day since last Thursday legs are beginning to say enough, enough

05/02/2013 at 21:45
05/02/2013 at 21:49
Mel - to the conversion in the post office! Cruise to see the northern lights sounds fantastic - maybe a little chilly if not dressed though hope the treadmill run goes okay.

Toby - not surprised your legs are feeling tired! How funny to have to think about reading more, after training yourself to eat less.
05/02/2013 at 21:54
Dee - glad your run went well, and even with some walking that's a respectable time. Sounds like some good sessions at the club. Don't go overdoing it now

After yesterday's speedier 3 miles, my sins have been feeling quite sore. So I've been icing then and stretching them. Found a good video on you tube involving rolling a golf ball under your foot - boy that hurt! - followed by foam rollering - boy that REALLY hurt! Very tight calf muscle, which certainly won't be helping my shin.

Set off for 7 miles today, determined not to be hampered by these pesky shins. So did the golf ball / foam roller thing first, to warm everything up. Then smothered my legs in deep heat (much to the cats' disgust), then put my compression calf guards on top. Took me ages to get out the door, but seemed to do the trick because although they muttered every now and again, shins on the whole felt fine. 7 miles felt like a short run

Have stretched, rolled, golf balled, again and am currently icing them. Feeling much happier that my legs are going to make it.

Susie - do I remember you getting some compression socks? Were they any good, and if so, what make were they? If wearing knee high socks means I can run, then I'll wear 'em!

Sorry for the odd postings - tablet doing strange things
06/02/2013 at 06:48
B&T - oh the foam roller! Medieval torture devices!!

I'm not planning on over doing it, we were following a couple if ladies that are training for the Paris marathon, and the pace felt fairly easy. I'm planning in using the Monday evening runs as a recovery run from a LSR at the weekends.
Once I've done the Reading HM I'm having a week off running ( will still cross train ) then it's training for the RFL 10k in July, one of my daughters wants to do it, then I'm thinking the great south run as there's a team of 6 of us that want to give that ago.

Toby - think my legs would of given up by now if I did that amount of training, enjoy your day off
06/02/2013 at 16:22

well got the 4 miles done but it was a close run ting the settee nearly won

06/02/2013 at 19:10

Toby well done on you and your missus's PB's, good stuff

Dee I didn't know that sweatshop had running clubs attached - kind of makes sense - really wish that I could be part of an inclusive running club, as it sounds good being able to run with others.

B&T I hope your shins are not too bad after your 7 miler yesterday. Foam rollering is torture - I feel your pain.

Mel I am a nightmare to live with if I can't get out for a run - just ask my hubby

Well apart from having bruises in a variety of places and in various shades, I managed a 6.5 miler yesterday, and have been out for another 3 miler this evening. The wind is back - I hate running in the wind it feels sooo much harder. Am hoping to get out for a 4 mile run tomorrow and then possibly a parkrun on Saturday followed by a LSR on Sunday - but am feeling pretty shattered so some adjustments to plan may become necessary - repeat mantra, must not be a slave to plan....

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 19:12
07/02/2013 at 21:35
Evening all

Attempted some intervals tonight to see if my legs can manage a little faster. Just tried 6x400m and that was tough enough keeping the pace starting with a 9!! But it made a change from plodding
How are your shins today B&T?
Well doneToby and Mrs Toby, what brilliant results
12.1 feb
13,701 to 13,720 of 15,266 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.