GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,781 to 13,800 of 14,943 messages
18/02/2013 at 14:34

"My pacing for races is really rubbish - need to work on this."

Lisa123, thats why God invented the Garmin.

18/02/2013 at 14:37
toby3 wrote (see)

Afternoon all

well went to W/W done another 3lbs 10st 7lbs  making a grand loss of 3st since i joined back last October so this now puts me  were i wanted to be so i can start the maintenances  whole heartedly instead of the half heart effort last time

Went out for run afterwards 10 miles done in 1:31:15 giving me an Avg pace of 8:59 m/m

Good work Toby ....... so what weight are you now?

18/02/2013 at 14:39

Hi everyone,

CW - see you managed to get out again. Good to hear you may also do Swindon HM as it's not too far away. You remembered correctly - I am currently running in Saucony Guide 5 (website blurb says "Saucony’s go-to training shoe for runners seeking lightweight stability, the Guide 5 arrives a full 1.5 oz./40 gm lighter than its predecessor version! ProGrid™ foam running from heel to toe provides the ideal blend of cushion and responsiveness, and an 8mm offset encourages a smooth transition with less impact. Weight: 10.2 oz. / 289 gm") so presume that was what you meant?

Dee - well done re Sat's 6 miler. Hope next week's run goes according to plan and good luck in advance for your forthcoming HM.

Sal - welcome back. Glad you enjoyed your hols - shame about the bad weather on one run. Well done re new parkrun pee-bee. And those intervals yesterday ...

B&T - glad to hear those compression socks are working. Yay - another vote for Swindon HM - looks like it'll be the place to be in the autumn! Carry on using the tablet - will keep us on our toes working out what you mean!

Susie - welcome back to you too and well done re Sun's 14 mile run. Grrr to the price of those shoes not dropping again. I see its Swindon HM for you too then. I still don't remember anything other than long slopes rather than steep hills so don't listen to your sister (you're all doomed ....). But I'm going to try and find the route anyway.

Lisa - sorry you weren't feeling 100% for your race (and during it). Enjoyed reading your report and am blooming impressed with your time considering you were ill. I'd be happy to finish around 2h 15m (current best is 2h 30m). For my Bath HM's I printed a pace/splits ribbon which I wore on my wrist to keep me on track. Lo-tech (compared to Dee's phone app) but it worked a treat - didn't stop me doing the calculations after every mile though.

Re Sat's run with Yvonne - I'm usually by myself and see the odd runner out and about. It was so much easier with a running partner and we saw clubmates of mine 3 times in the first 3 miles - very unusual! I should have known better - didn't pack my running kit today as I left home with loads of time to spare. There were traffic delays near my office and I was 20mins late. So getting back in time for my club run tonight should be .. interesting. However, I know the route we are doing so worst-case scenario I can always end up chasing after them.

18/02/2013 at 14:42

sorry Dave  didn't make it very clear i started at 13st 7lbs and am now down to 10st 7lbs 

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 14:42
18/02/2013 at 14:48
toby3 wrote (see)

sorry Dave  didn't make it very clear i started at 13st 7lbs and am now down to 10st 7lbs 

I had to stick those figures into wolframalpha as Im originally from Australia, so we don't do stones and pounds. My god, thats a pretty extreme weight loss ....... 66kg!! I hope you're not planning on losing anymore.

18/02/2013 at 17:14

I have a Garmin and set it up with the pace that I wanted to maintain on Sunday, which incidently was about 8.30 min miles. Despite it telling me constantly I was ahead of my 'virtual' partner it didn't slow me down - because my natural competitive nature kicked in and I ended up wanting to get in front of other people . I am hoping with more experience in running races that I will fight this urge and pace myself better, or at least not knacker myself for the last 3 miles of a HM!

18/02/2013 at 18:19
B&T - looks like Chippenham it is then! But need to do Reading first, then I'll look at entries.

Mel - love your low tech version, I only have the app because it was on offer and free for that day

Toby - fantastic overall weight loss

I've just managed to get some free VIP tickets for the Reading HM, that include a vip suite for my hubby to watch from, express kit room inside the stadium, free massage (hubby wants this) mounted race photo not sure I want that all red faced and sweaty plus some sort of free gift. All I had to do was wear a pair of mizuno trainers for the race - was planning on that anyway
18/02/2013 at 18:21
Edited: 18/02/2013 at 18:21
18/02/2013 at 19:24

Hi All,

Mel - Thanks I've read the blurb, just wanted to see how you got on with them to late though I have ordered a pair.

Toby - Once again fantastic weight loss you are going to smash your PB's this year.

Dee - Well done on getting your tickets.

Lisa - Have you tried training by Heart rate - may help with a pace issue.  Curious that you are thinking about intervals, looking at your 10K race compared to your half race may be worth looking at building base (no criticism)

B&T - I may look the part (champion) but far from it.

5.5 miles done tonight HR suggested Marathon pace - actual pace was easy - long way to go yet!!!!

18/02/2013 at 19:59
Signed up for my 1st half in sheffield in may, started training 03/01/2013 stopped smoking that day and was a heavy drinker, question if ive had a dozen beers this year, dropped 10lb to 12 stone 12lb, may call it a midlife crisis(at 32 years old) never in my life have i felt this good, ran 10k on sunday in 52 mins. Running is so addictive, hope everyone dont mind me hijacking this forum.

Jonny m
18/02/2013 at 20:59
Not at all jonny m

Always good to have new people on the thread. I came and hi-jacked it after Mel told us where he had gone
18/02/2013 at 22:33
Jonny - welcome aboard - and well done!

CW - hope your new shoes arrive quickly

Dee - look forward to seeing you at Chippenham then, if you want to meet up Great prize for Reading BTW - running into the stadium to finish is fantastic

Toby - yay - made your target weight - well done!

David - I think your calculations are still wrong - I weigh around 66Kg and I'm sure Toby hadn't lost that much - there'd be nothing left of him!

Mel - hope you made it back in time for your club run!

Stuffed after a lovely dinner here - I'm calling it furlong for tomorrow's 8 miler (any excuse!)
19/02/2013 at 04:28

morning all

just 5 for me today and tomorrow

Dave no that's it now i will start maintaining the weight which is the good part as the amount i am aloud to eat goes up i just had a go and it came to 49lbs which converts to 22kg

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 04:29
19/02/2013 at 07:23
B&T - would love to meet up, just get my first HM out the way first, and make sure it's an experience I want to repeat hope the 8 miler goes well

Toby - seems strange you saying just a 5 miler today after all the miles you've done recently

Did a sweatshop run last night - it was a time trial over 5k - ran with one of my daughters who's only just starting running (4 weeks) we got round in 31.30 so big well done to her
19/02/2013 at 07:38

Cotswold wolf criticism not taken but please advise as any gratefully received - these are my time splits.

8.08;  7.58; 8.04; 7.57; 8.13; 8.12; 8.09; 8.29; 8.44; 8.59; 9.26; 9.31; 9.13; 8.26.

I am up to 16 miles LSR generaly about 9.5 min miles I try and slow down but feel that running slower is more difficult. With regards to my times being a bit all over the place on Sunday when I have a cold it affects my asthma - hence I believe my struggle in the last 3 miles (also the headwind was really tough).

Any thoughts from anyone greatly appreciated

19/02/2013 at 08:27

For heavens sake - my big dinner was FUELLING not furlong!!!!

Lisa - Cotswold Wolf will give you fantastic advise - I took 12 minutes off my HM time last year with his advice

Dee - ace - hope Reading goes well for you then! Chippenham will be a completely different kettle of fish from Reading...! Well done to your daughter as well for last night

8 miles for me today. Hanging around here NOT because it looks flippin' freezin' out there and I'm trying to get my nerve up, butbecause I had a proper breakfast this morning and I'm trying to digest it! (Honest )

19/02/2013 at 12:55
B&t i know how you feel about your tablet putting in words youdidntwant mine even forgets to space to ha ha and i have to reduce my breakfast size before run or i keep tasting it all while im out
19/02/2013 at 13:40

Yvonne - I often get hungry when I'm running, and my tummy feels very empty and 'swilly'. So I thought I'd try porridge AND toast, but then realised I'd better let it all go down properly otherwise it would be all coming back up Managed to time it well, and after a bitterly cold start had a lovely 8 miles in the sunshine 

19/02/2013 at 14:37

afternoon all

well 5miles done it's a lovely day here even ventured out in a pair of running shorts for the first time this year have to say though OK as it was for a short run it's still to cold to be out for any length of time in them yet

19/02/2013 at 14:54

Hi everyone,

Lisa - I love having my Garmin virtual partner to try and beat when I am running one of my regular routes by myself.

Dee - I'm planning on doing Chippenham too so hope to see you and B&T there. Don't blame you getting that app if it was free - I didn't have a smartphone at the time of Bath HM Hence the lo-tech alternative! Not a bad result getting free VIP tickets for Reading HM just for wearing your running shoes! Well done to you and daughter re Sweatshop run.

CW - I've had no problems at all with my Guide 5 shoes so hopefully you will find the same. Reminds me - really must get on and order another pair while they are still available.

Jonny M - welcome to the thread. Dee and I used to chat on the Inspire thread until it fizzled out and I told her where to find me.

B&T - sorry, shouldn't laugh but you mentioning dinner and furlong in same sentence made me think of current food stories about horsemeat - see you blamed your tablet for the typo! As mentioned above, I'll hopefully be seeing you and Dee at Chippenham HM. I see that planned 8 mile run worked out okay - sounds like the furlong beforehand was more than adequate

Toby - smiled at the 'only' 5 miles comment as you are usually doing much more than that. And I see you ran in your shorts - I saw a lady on Sunday out running in shorts and a top with spaghetti straps .. felt cold on her behalf.

Yvonne - despite me usually leaving an hour between breakfast and running I have the same problem of enjoying my breakfast again.

Well - last night's club run turned into a tempo run. I arrived at 6:35pm and they had already set off. I took a short-cut on the first loop and caught some of the back markers. Soon passed them and set off after the group in the distance. I didn't quite catch them on the 2nd loop but was really pleased with the splits for the 4 miles (9.11 9.38 10.13 9.21) and avg pace was 9.38 m/m. Not sure if I'll manage Wed's intervals session - as ever, will depend on the traffic but will make sure I get changed before I leave work.

Funny of the day: On Fetch, for a bit of fun you can make a note of things you saw on your run. A runner who lives near me said he saw a bullfinch, a canada goose and 23 naked ladies. I've asked him for the route details!

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 14:55
13,781 to 13,800 of 14,943 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.